Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Tooter's Mini pecan pies (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/460245-tooters-mini-pecan-pies.html)

Tooter 11-19-2006 12:23 PM

Tooter's Mini pecan pies

Just invented these last night and they are AWESOME! Since then, I have made mini cherry pies (with the no sugar Cherry pie filling with splenda).

I also am using this idea to make mini Crab puff pies. Crab puffs made with crab, cream cheese, mayo, minced onions on top of the mini pie crusts.

Anyways...Here is my recipe. Enjoy! Because it's a mini pie, you don't have the problems that you would have with a larger pie. Also, it's not as expensive to make and you have more portion control.

Tooter's Mini pecan pies

2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cup of almond flour
4 oz (half of an 8 oz package) of cream cheese

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Soften cheese and butter and blend well. Stir in flour. Chill 1 hour. Shape into twenty-four 1-inch balls. Place in ungreased small muffin tins. Press down to form crust.

Filling

1 egg
1/4 cup of Splenda
1/2 cup of Diabetisweet
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon Black Strap Molasses
Dash of salt
3/4 cup of chopped pecans

Beat egg, sweetner, butter, vanilla, Molasses and salt until smooth. Divide half the nuts among pastry cups. Add egg mixture. Top with remaining nuts.
Bake for 25 minutes or until Golden brown.

Loosen the mini pie's sides with a teaspoon, then scoop them out and set them aside to cool.

Enjoy!

Nigel 11-19-2006 03:06 PM

Hi tooter, these sound great. Do I use those tiny muffin tins or the regular small muffin tins? The tiny meaning the appetizer or bite size.

maggieb43 11-19-2006 03:33 PM

These sound yummy!

I love, love, love pecan pie! Can I substitute Splenda for the Diabetisweet, do you think?

Yummy's_Girl 11-19-2006 04:12 PM

These sound yumy! Great for the holidays ahead, too!

Tryinghardtolose 11-19-2006 07:00 PM

Yes.....I'd also like to know if Splenda can be subbed??? This sounds WONDERFUL!!!!

Thanks so much!

SNuGGiE 11-19-2006 07:09 PM

I'm sure splenda can be subbed. I'm so happy to see a recipe w/ almond flour!!

oh also, do you think these can be frozen?

Kevinpa 11-19-2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggieb43 (Post 7768148)
I love, love, love pecan pie! Can I substitute Splenda for the Diabetisweet, do you think?

Splenda will not give you the texture of pecan pie. Diabeti sweet works because it is mostly isomalt which duplicates the properties of sugar that you need to imitate the real thing.

SNuGGiE 11-19-2006 07:12 PM

awww, no splenda sub:( ......what is diabeticsweet? does it have sugar alcohol or anything bad??

Tryinghardtolose 11-19-2006 08:26 PM

Does WalMart sell Diabetisweet or am I thinking of something else??? I need to place an order with Neitrition but haven't had a chance to get my shopping list together yet!

Thanks a lot!
Pam

Kevinpa 11-19-2006 08:48 PM

I have never found it locally around here. But I am a big online shopper. With vendors like netrition and their reasonable shipping rates I spend less money in shipping than I would in gas running around looking for this stuff.....:laugh: and then if you can't find it you have to pay the shipping anyway.....

Tooter 11-19-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 7768041)
Hi tooter, these sound great. Do I use those tiny muffin tins or the regular small muffin tins? The tiny meaning the appetizer or bite size.

The tiny ones. appetizer size.

Tooter 11-19-2006 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryinghardtolose (Post 7769367)
Does WalMart sell Diabetisweet or am I thinking of something else??? I need to place an order with Neitrition but haven't had a chance to get my shopping list together yet!

Thanks a lot!
Pam

Yes, Walmart is where I got it. In the Diabetic section.

Tooter 11-19-2006 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7769109)
Splenda will not give you the texture of pecan pie. Diabeti sweet works because it is mostly isomalt which duplicates the properties of sugar that you need to imitate the real thing.

Yep! Kevin is right. That's why I used Diabetisweet and a little splenda.

jch 11-20-2006 08:18 PM

Tooter, I made these today and they are excellent. A little sweet for me, but so is high carb pecan pie. But my husband (the pecan pie eater) loves them!!! And very easy to make. Thanks so much for this recipe. Joan

Tooter 11-21-2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jch (Post 7773521)
Tooter, I made these today and they are excellent. A little sweet for me, but so is high carb pecan pie. But my husband (the pecan pie eater) loves them!!! And very easy to make. Thanks so much for this recipe. Joan

Thanks you! I am very happy with how this came out (and on my first try too) lol I had a few people try them and they didn't know they were low carb and loved them. I am so glad your hubby loved them.

Hey, experiment with the pie crust and different pie fillings. I'm thinking I could do a mini apple pie...It would only take about 1 apple so it would have WAY less carbs. I think the filling would have to be cooked first (like already made pie filling) and then just fill the tiny cups like you did the pecan pies.

I did make them with the crab puffs and it was awesome. So this little pie crust is something we can fill for appetizers too.

shawneesioux 11-21-2006 06:52 PM

Cool ideas, Tooter!

when I want a small, fast "apple pie" filling, I just peel, core, and cube an apple..using a Nuker-safe bowl, add apple cubes, a few sprinkles of Cinnamon, some DiabetiSweet Brown...even a splash of any sf DaVinci that goes well with apples..Nuke on High for a few minutes...way faster and less messy than cooking on the stove. (a few fresh/frozen cranberries added to the mix is festive too...they require a tad more sweetener)

Ooops!...forgot to mention, I run the cranberries thru a mini-processor first, so they cook/nuke as fast as the apple cubes..

24Fan 11-22-2006 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tooter (Post 7769523)
Yes, Walmart is where I got it. In the Diabetic section.

Hey, thanks for letting us know we can buy it at WM. I just went and found it there in the diabetic section. I never get around to ordering online at Netrition so this was great :) Going to make these little pecan pies for my T'giving now.

BB in MN 11-22-2006 07:43 AM

Tooter, did you grease or use paper liners in the mini muffin pan? Did you use metal or silicon pan?

I am bring this to T'day tomorrow, I have all the ingredients!!!!!

Thanks, Beth

24Fan 11-22-2006 08:39 AM

Tooter, these are great, thanks!

I'll answer your question for what I did, BB. I didn't grease mini pans at all, the butter and nuts are plenty of grease. Did not use silicone pans either, regular metal pans.

Tooter 11-22-2006 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24Fan (Post 7780045)
Tooter, these are great, thanks!

I'll answer your question for what I did, BB. I didn't grease mini pans at all, the butter and nuts are plenty of grease. Did not use silicone pans either, regular metal pans.

24Fan, I did the same thing. Didn't need to grease them, The butter and the nuts were enough. Just used a regular mini muffing tin, also.

I'm glad you liked them!

BB in MN, I hope that answered your questions. lol

Tooter 11-22-2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNuGGiE (Post 7769102)
I'm sure splenda can be subbed. I'm so happy to see a recipe w/ almond flour!!

oh also, do you think these can be frozen?

I'm Sorry, SNuGGiE, I didn't answer your question. Ok, I believe, KevinPA Answered it about the Splenda. No, it won't work with just the splenda. You need the Isomalt which is in the "Diabetisweet".

Can these be frozen? I don't know. I haven't tried that yet.

24Fan 11-22-2006 01:13 PM

Tooter, these are good. The whole recipe. I used the crust and made regular hc pecan tartlets for the fam too :)

Tooter 11-22-2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24Fan (Post 7781528)
Tooter, these are good. The whole recipe. I used the crust and made regular hc pecan tartlets for the fam too :)

Thank you! I am very pleased how it came out (Hey, it was my first try at it too) lol

24Fan, The little pie crust are endless as to what we can do with it. Not only for sweet pies, but savory appetizers too. I am so glad you have enjoyed it and thank you for your kind responces.

Kelleygirl2 11-23-2006 04:29 AM

Can this be made as a "large" 9 inch pie? I need to take a pie for dinner on Saturday? Or should I use a different recipe , such as Kevinpa's recipe for pie using the isomalt syrup?
Thanks!
Kay

Tooter 11-23-2006 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelleygirl2 (Post 7783425)
Can this be made as a "large" 9 inch pie? I need to take a pie for dinner on Saturday? Or should I use a different recipe , such as Kevinpa's recipe for pie using the isomalt syrup?
Thanks!
Kay

I wouldn't use it for a full size pie. Use Kevinpa's recipe for that.

tyler43836 11-23-2006 08:13 PM

I want to make these tomorrow...I only have the brown sugar Diebetisweet...will that work okay??

Tooter 11-23-2006 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler43836 (Post 7785183)
I want to make these tomorrow...I only have the brown sugar Diebetisweet...will that work okay??

I'm sure that would. I can't get the Brown diabetisweet, that's why I added the blackstrap.

crazywoman-n-wy 11-23-2006 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelleygirl2 (Post 7783425)
Thanks!
Kay

[COLOR="Red"]
Hi Kay! http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...l/hismiley.gif [/COLOR]

Kelleygirl2 11-24-2006 04:18 AM

Hi Billie!!
I am going to try Scott's pecan pie on your recommendation. How ya doing??

Kay

crazywoman-n-wy 11-24-2006 07:42 AM

[COLOR="Red"]Hi Kay,
Doin good. And you? I haven't seen much of ya in a while. Guess the grandkids are keepin ya busy.
The pie is good. I think I over cooked mine during the pre-cook stage. I'm at a very hight altitude, and think that affected the way it cooked. I kept waiting for a stage it never got to, and waitin for the temp to reach the 160. I'm not sure I need it to go to 160 here. It is chewy but good.

I do thin I'll try Tooter's some time too. Think they will be good for when the pecan pie erge just hits me. Wanted the full pie for Thanksgiving. Had been wanting to try it for a while.

Opps thread jack.[/COLOR]