Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelighter1968 View Post
Tooter..

I have purchased all the ingredients except for Black Strap Molasses. I looked on Netrition and couldn't find it there either. What is this please?

Thanks,

Timothy
I left out the molasses altogether, Tim. Still yummy and sweet and dark brown/
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #62
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
OK, when I went to Albertsons today for other stuff, at the end of an aisle they had the mini silicone muffin pans - bought 2 at $6 each so I guess I'll be making these soon!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gpisabela
Stats: 238/194/normal
WOE: Atkins-like low carb
Start Date: March 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
OK, when I went to Albertsons today for other stuff, at the end of an aisle they had the mini silicone muffin pans - bought 2 at $6 each so I guess I'll be making these soon!
Yes, but don't you need metal pans to be able to form the mini-tarts? I had a silicone mini-muffin pan and I bought a metal one especially for this... don't tell me I didn't actually need this umpteenth pan...
gpisabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
Has anyone tried to freeze these? How'd it work?
decodiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #65
Gadget Gal

Hmmm, well, dunno but I'm gonna try it!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:38 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
I did, they froze nicely. Little drier after thawing but still quite tasty.

These are def going to be on my Xmas Eve buffet.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:48 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Just out of curiosity, would regular molasses work in place of Blackstrap molasses? I've discovered that I have 2 bottles of the regular stuff in my cabinet, and I hate to think that I have to go buy a bottle of Blackstrap to keep them company!

I did include brown Diabetisweet on my Netrition order the other night, and it should be here sometime this coming week, so I can make this recipe with that. I'm just wondering about the Blackstrap molasses vs "ordinary" molasses situation, because I so often see it listed as an ingredient in other LC recipes.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:31 AM   #68
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal View Post
Just out of curiosity, would regular molasses work in place of Blackstrap molasses? I've discovered that I have 2 bottles of the regular stuff in my cabinet, and I hate to think that I have to go buy a bottle of Blackstrap to keep them company!

I did include brown Diabetisweet on my Netrition order the other night, and it should be here sometime this coming week, so I can make this recipe with that. I'm just wondering about the Blackstrap molasses vs "ordinary" molasses situation, because I so often see it listed as an ingredient in other LC recipes.
The Difference is that Regular molasses is Higher in Carbs and sugar then Blackstrap and doesn't have any of the health benefits. If you do a "Search" on Blackstrap molasses you will see that it is considered a VERY GOOD Health food. It has had most of the sugar taken out, it then is concentrated with the minerals and vitamins. Thus, Blackstrap is thicker, adds more coloring, adds more minierals without the added sugar.

Not only is it a great source of iron and calcium, but it's also a source of potassium, magnesium, copper, and manganese.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #69
Gadget Gal

However, yes, you could use it for similar "brown sugar" properties in this recipe, if that's all you have...just be aware that it IS higher carb, as Tooter says!
Old 12-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TrueTrue
Stats: 189.5/178.5/155 | 5'8" | Age 44
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 21 July 2014
I made these and liked them a lot but noticed the Brown Diabetisweet gave the pies a very bitter aftertaste. I wonder if Brown Sugar Twin would work?
TrueTrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CookingCajun
Stats: 170/125/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8-1-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryinghardtolose View Post
Does WalMart sell Diabetisweet or am I thinking of something else??? I need to place an order with Neitrition but haven't had a chance to get my shopping list together yet!

Thanks a lot!
Pam
Since you are on the mainland, give Netrition a try. I hear many good things about their prices and with flat rate shipping to you, its worth placing a hefty order! I just got through eating a SF almond roca made with isomalt and it was great.
CookingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Trying to lose
Stats: 5'6" 156/139/130
Start Date: July27 2003 - Restart July 5, 2004
I made these tonight and they were wonderful! Thank you!

Has anyone tried mixing the nuts in with the egg mixture and filling all at once rather than putting the nuts in the crust, then the egg mixture and then topping with the nuts?

TIA
Trying to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #73
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying to lose View Post
I made these tonight and they were wonderful! Thank you!

Has anyone tried mixing the nuts in with the egg mixture and filling all at once rather than putting the nuts in the crust, then the egg mixture and then topping with the nuts?

TIA
I did that quite by accident today, because I didn't read the directions thoroughly and because that's the way I do a full-sized pecan pie! They turned out great! However, I didn't have enough batter to fill all 24 mini cups so I filled the last six with SF strawberry jam - DH loves them.

And yes, I did use my new mini silicone pans and they worked just fine!

Tooter, these are just awesome little morsels - thank you for such a good recipe!

DH won't usually eat my full-sized pecan pie because he says I make it too "gooshy" but I suspect he'll be into these. I'm not tellin' him they are like those little Bama pies! Shhhhhhhh!!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 12-23-2006, 11:09 PM   #74
T-man

Gallery: whitelighter1968
Stats: 350/242/190
Start Date: 12/04/06
Tooter....

Those were absolutely the bomb... I made them and Gosh were they delicious. I used the diabetisweet brown instead of the mollasses..

They were so good I ate 3 of them.... Oh my god... the gas I got from that... Is that typical from the Diabetisweet? I know I've had that before from the Maltitol.....

Just curious...

Timothy
whitelighter1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:25 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: liz1114
Stats: 206.5/160/150-145,5'7.5",25yo
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: Sept 5, 2006
Does anyone know if I wanted to make the mini cherry pies would I cook the crust first by itself or just cook with the cherrys in it? TIA
liz1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTrue View Post
I made these and liked them a lot but noticed the Brown Diabetisweet gave the pies a very bitter aftertaste. I wonder if Brown Sugar Twin would work?
[COLOR=red]True True, If you think that the Diabetisweet is bitter, I think you will find that Brown Sugar Twin will be just as bitter, if not more so. Unless you have Canadian Sugar Twin, which is a different formula than our US product. It has a reputation for being bitter. But everyone has a different taste. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Personally I never used brown sugar (or dark Karo) in my pecan pies anyway. So when I made these, I used mostly regular DiabetiSweet. Actually I replaced most of it with Isomalt, since I had that. I did use a very small amount of the brown sugar kind, and a little regular + the Isomalt. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Tho these are good, they were way too much trouble for me. I don't like to cook anyway. I thought I'd never get the "crust" formed in all those little cups (24). Then I put too much filling in the first ones, and ran out. I scooped out some & filled in the last ones. Finally got all 24. I had thought that I'd be able to form the crust with a wooden tool that I have, but that didn't work out. I had to pat the crust into all those little cups. For some that may not be a big deal, but for me it was too much trouble. But that is me![/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I may, & I say may, make them again sometime in regular muffin tins for more of a tart, like others here have done. But I'll probably stick with a regular sized pie. I never even like to make pies. Too much trouble for the few servings. But I did occasionly make them, especially for holidays.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I'm not by any means putting the recipe down! Just for me they were too much work. (Guess I'm lazy! ) Like I said, I just don't like to cook. Wish I did![/COLOR]

Quote:
I made these last night. They are great! I made 48 minis to take to a Christmas party tonight.
[COLOR=#ff0000]I can't even imagine making that many. I'd never have gotten them in the oven. I'm very slow! Took me forever to get the 24 ready for the oven![/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]
Quote:
[COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#000000]Yes, but don't you need metal pans to be able to form the mini-tarts? I had a silicone mini-muffin pan and I bought a metal one especially for this... don't tell me I didn't actually need this umpteenth pan... [/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I used silicone pans.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]By the way, this may sound odd, but what is a "Pecan Tassie"?[/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Oh Billie, you made me laugh!

I just made my first batch of these. I have twelve cooling and twelve more in the oven. I only have two mini muffin pans that hold 6 each so I had to bake them in two batches. I haven't tried them yet but they sure do smell good! Thanks for this recipe Tooter!

Liz, I would put the cherries in the crusts and bake it all together just like you would a cherry pie.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #78
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Pecan Tassie is a mini tart for a cooky, recipe posted several years ago. I do my own take on it, and even make some Cranberry Orange ones. They are awesome!
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Do you guys store these in the fridge or at room temperature?
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Tooter....

Those were absolutely the bomb... I made them and Gosh were they delicious. I used the diabetisweet brown instead of the mollasses..

They were so good I ate 3 of them.... Oh my god... the gas I got from that... Is that typical from the Diabetisweet? I know I've had that before from the Maltitol.....

Just curious...

Timothy
[COLOR=red]Tim, Some people do get that reaction to Isomalt, which is the main ingredient of DiabetiSweet. You may be one of them. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Everyone seems to be able to handle these sugar alcohols differently.[/COLOR]
Old 12-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Hey tooter, I made these for Christmas. These are AWESOME! I had bought a jar of lemon curd and so we made little lemon tarts. They didn't last long. I'm going to make the pecan ones too! Awesome recipe thank you!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:14 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss lady View Post
Hey tooter, I made these for Christmas. These are AWESOME! I had bought a jar of lemon curd and so we made little lemon tarts. They didn't last long. I'm going to make the pecan ones too! Awesome recipe thank you!
OMG, the lemon curd sounds so good!! I am so glad you like the recipe.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #83

Quote:
Tooter....

Just curious...

Timothy
Timothy, dispite my name, I didn't have the same reaction that you did. I am so sorry. I really haven't used Isomalt much and after reading about other peoples reaction I decided not to use ALOT of it in a recipe. The Mini pecan pies didn't give me any reaction like that at all.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss lady View Post
Hey, Boss Lady...One more thing! SEMPER FI!! Ooh-Rah! My Son was with 1/8 in Iraq during the battle of Fallujah. He is now out and back in civilian life (and Mom is able to breath again) lol

Please tell your Daughter "Semper Fi" and thank you for her service! She is in my daily prayers along with Our other Troops. God Bless!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:11 AM   #85

DANG IT. I just found Brown Diabetisweet at Wal-mart and got excited and bought it. (I have never used it).

I came back into this thread to see if anyone posted their results with only the "Brown Diabetisweet" and not my ingrediants of Regular diabetisweet with Black Strap Molasses added.

I'm seeing that some people say the "Brown" Diabetisweet is bitter.

I guess I should stick with my orignal recipe, eh?

Can anyone give me more info on the Brown Diabetisweet and your experience with it?

It looks like I'll be meeting someone in real life from this board and I wanted to make these up for her. I don't want to "chance" it with the diabetisweet, so I will stick with my original recipe.

I guess my question now is...What do I do with the Brown Diabetisweet now. lol
Old 07-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]Tooter, I've used the brown DiabetiSweet, and haven't had a problem with it being bitter. I don't think I had it when I made your little pies. Seems like I used the blackstrap & reg DiabetiSweet. Haven't made them in a long time.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I personally would think that if you found the brown bitter, you would also find the reg bitter, but I may be wrong there. I can't think what is in it that isn't in the reg that would make it bitter. [/COLOR]
Old 07-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #87
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
oh, I adore little Pecan Tassies! Thanks for this recipe.
Sweeteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
[COLOR=red]Tooter, I've used the brown DiabetiSweet, and haven't had a problem with it being bitter. I don't think I had it when I made your little pies. Seems like I used the blackstrap & reg DiabetiSweet. Haven't made them in a long time.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I personally would think that if you found the brown bitter, you would also find the reg bitter, but I may be wrong there. I can't think what is in it that isn't in the reg that would make it bitter. [/COLOR]
Ok, I haven't even tried the "Brown" yet. Never had a problem with the "regular" being bitter.

Thanks, Crazywoman. Maybe I'll do a little experimenting.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #89

Gallery: Sleepy
I you Tooter you make the best stuff!!
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #90

Thank you, Sweeteater and Sleepy.