Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: thecheshirekat
WOE: Back to Atkins
Start Date: This restart - 10/1/12
Has anyone tried making pudding with Almond Breeze?

I gave it a shot last night with a Jello SF Instant Pudding mix in Cheesecake flavor, and it didn't work at all . It was a big soupy mess that formed some big ol' funky clumps at the bottom.

Anyone had success with this? I'm wondering if actual dairy milk has some proteins or something that are required to make the pudding set up...
thecheshirekat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyjo
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 8/08
haven't tried the Almond Breeze, but soy milk makes the same gooky mess...
I stick with half cream, and half cold water with a splash of sf syrup, the caramel really does good things to butterscotch, I think the lime may be good with vanilla, and of course chocolate or Irish cream in the chocolate.

christyjo
christyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:12 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I have used Almond breeze with Carb Counters no cook Mousse Mixes by dixie diners, but what I did to make it work was add at least 1/2 block of room temperature cream cheese to it and it worked great.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Xcali
Stats: 203/132/128 (140 was original goal) * 5'8" * 41 *
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/28/2000 **Recently changed goal wt. to 128 lbs.
I don't know about pudding, but I can tell you one thing.. Almond Breeze makes absolutely horrible yogurt

I just don't think it has the ability to replace milk when you need something that has a creamy texture. I love Almond Breeze over cereal and in my protein shakes. Not sure how it bakes, but after my yogurt fiasco, I don't think I'm going to try.
Xcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
I used it in my pumpkin bread and it worked fine. Only thing I've tried it with so far.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Basically if you adjust for the low fat content you should be ok......it count out somewhere around the same as skim milk.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tuscanytrace
Stats: 208.8/172.6/113 5'1.5"
WOE: Atkins 1972,VCO, WAPF/whole foods,
Start Date: Oct 15, 06/restart 5/07/ restart 3/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali View Post
I don't know about pudding, but I can tell you one thing.. Almond Breeze makes absolutely horrible yogurt

I just don't think it has the ability to replace milk when you need something that has a creamy texture. I love Almond Breeze over cereal and in my protein shakes. Not sure how it bakes, but after my yogurt fiasco, I don't think I'm going to try.
Almond milk was used in a major way from ancient times to the Renaissance in baked goods (google "amygdalate"--I think that's the spelling). Almond Breeze has a variety of thickeners in it that might explain why things get clumpy in it--and yogurt must have lactose to grow, which almonds don't have, not being *dairy* milk. Being processed by a microorganism that needs something specific is a different thing than just baking.

I go through so much almond milk that I'm going to start making it myself, starting this evening. And that's just drinking it, let alone baking with it!

Last edited by Tuscanytrace; 11-15-2006 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: spelling
Tuscanytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Xcali
Stats: 203/132/128 (140 was original goal) * 5'8" * 41 *
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/28/2000 **Recently changed goal wt. to 128 lbs.
Good to know it good for baking, now I will give it a try. I know Almond Milk has no lactose, but I had read that making yogurt from it was possible, just like soy yogurt. Anyway.. lol .. I'll stick to dairy yogurt and keep my Almond milk for drinking, shakes and now .. baking!! Thank you
Xcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I made a pumpkin custard using the unsweetened vanilla almond milk and it came out pretty good, but not quite the "creamy" mouthfeel I'm used to - next time I think I'd use half almond milk and half cream or maybe 3/4 to 1/4.

I've used it in muffins and such too with very good results!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
i have used it in chocolate sf pudding. i did have to use the mixing stick, you could use a blender, it turned out very good, i could only taste the almond taste slightly, set up very nicely. i might try the vanilla sf pudding next time with the vanilla almond breeze and add almond flavoring to get an amaretto flavor.
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bearlybarbie
Making Instant Pudding

I just made some pudding using Almond Breeze. After reading all your posts, I decided to used half as much Almond Breeze for the milk and it set up nice and firm like it's suppose to, not sloppy or runny.
Bearlybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearlybarbie View Post
I just made some pudding using Almond Breeze. After reading all your posts, I decided to used half as much Almond Breeze for the milk and it set up nice and firm like it's suppose to, not sloppy or runny.
But doing it this way you only get half the servings or double the carbs. There is another thread here about using almond milk that might interest you.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
instant puddings don't work with non dairy milks. it requires a particular milk protein, I can't remember which they said, maybe casein, or something in dairy milk that reacts to induce the thickening. this won't happen with soy, rice, almond, coconut or other Non-dairy milks. YOu can help by using part cream to provide that ingredient and the rest of the liquid as your non dairy.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote