Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Any recipes using Oat flour and Oat bran? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/458116-any-recipes-using-oat-flour-oat-bran.html)

Yummy's_Girl 11-07-2006 02:51 PM

Any recipes using Oat flour and Oat bran?
 
Our town just got a bulk foods store that sells tons of packaged spices and flours, candies, mixes, etc. There prices are excellent!

I seem to recall that I seen some low carb recipes using Oat flour and oat bran. However, I can't seem to find them. So maybe I am mistaken, or maybe I just really cannot find em?

Can anyone tell me if these products are good to use in low carb and if so, do you have any recipes using them that you can share?

There was nothing on the bag but the ingredients, but no nutritional info since they package most of the products themselves.

abercrombie3f 11-07-2006 03:10 PM

oooh...i'd love to find some recipes using oat flour or oats too!!

Yummy's_Girl 11-07-2006 03:38 PM

Me too! I have this stuff sitting on the kitchen counter just screaming to be used!

abercrombie3f 11-07-2006 04:07 PM

i'm wondering if you could use oat flour as a substitute for almond flour?

Yummy's_Girl 11-07-2006 04:32 PM

its a thought, could work. I'd like to know the carb count on the oat flour and the oat bran

Bev-Ann 11-07-2006 04:34 PM

I made my own flour substitute that uses both. Here's a link to the original post:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...8&postcount=13

Yummy's_Girl 11-07-2006 05:25 PM

THanks Bev-Ann this actually one of the ones I was looking for. But I got mixed up and bought oat bran, not oat fibre. So now I have no idea waht to use the oat bran for

Bev-Ann 11-07-2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yummy's_Girl (Post 7711104)
its a thought, could work. I'd like to know the carb count on the oat flour and the oat bran

Oat Bran: 1 cup = 62g carbs; 14g fibre
Oat Flour: 1 cup = 54g carbs; 9g fibre

Bev-Ann 11-07-2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yummy's_Girl (Post 7711312)
THanks Bev-Ann this actually one of the ones I was looking for. But I got mixed up and bought oat bran, not oat fibre. So now I have no idea waht to use the oat bran for

Oops! Somehow I read "oat fibre" instead of bran. :)

GetFitMom 11-07-2006 05:53 PM

Low Carb Pancakes
 
from dexmis (a former LCF poster...wonder where she is?)

1/2 cup oat flour (100% stone ground)
1/4 cup flax meal
2 teas powder
1/4 cup half & half
3 eggs
1 T Splenda

Combine all ingredients, mixing only until combined. Add a little water if batter is too thick. Cook on preheated oiled griddle.

Makes 10 - 3" pancakes (5 servings)
Per serving (2 pancakes): 9.2 grams carbohydrates

Nigel 11-07-2006 06:01 PM

I'm going to give these a try.

GetFitMom 11-07-2006 06:04 PM

Chewey Brownies
 
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup splenda
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
dash salt
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven 350. Melt butter. Add cocoa and blend until smooth. Add splenda and vanilla; blend til creamy. Add eggs and beat. Add flour and blend, but don't overbeat. Stir in nuts. Butter and (almond) flour 8x4" loaf pan. Bake 25 min.

Total: 72 carbs, 21 fiber (51 NET carbs), 1562 Calories, 137 fat, 54 protein. 8 brownies @ 6 carbs, 195 Calories, 17 fat, 7 protein.

These were exceptional. The combination of almond and oat flour made the consistency like real brownies.

Yummy's_Girl 11-07-2006 06:17 PM

awesome thanks for the recipes and info! Keep them coming!

GetFitMom 11-07-2006 06:35 PM

Dottie's Wheat-Like Crackers
 
1 c whey protein powder
1/3 cup oat flour
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 egg
1 3/4 cups water
1 t salt

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients. Should be a thick but spreadable batter. Spray 11x14x1 cookie sheet WELL with cooking spray. Pour and spread batter onto pan. Sprinkle with salt. Bake 25 min. Batter should be "set". Remove from oven and use knife or pizza cutter to "score" into whatever size crackers you want. The dough can still be a little wet as long as the score lines stay. (If they don't, put back in the oven for 5 min and try again). Bake about another 15-20 min til crispy and golden.

Total: 34 carb, 13 fiber, (21 NET carbs), 486 Calories, 52 fat, 66 protein
Makes 60 @ .4 carbs, 8 Calories, .9 fat, 1 protein

GetFitMom 11-07-2006 06:38 PM

Scrum-dilly-ump-tious Bread
 
1.5 g Net Carbs per slice (Makes 22 slices)

This bread is beyond good when toasted and slathered in your favorite butter or spread.

Ingredients

* 3/4 cup warm water
* 1/4 cup whipping cream
* 2 large eggs
* 1 Tbsp. olive oil
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 1 1/4 cups wheat gluten + 2 Tbsp.
* 1/2 cup oat flour
* 1/2 cup whey protein, vanilla
* 1/4 cup flax meal
* 2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1 Tsp. sugar
* 1 pinch stevia
* 2 1/2 Tsp. bread machine yeast

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF and butter a nonstick loaf pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients to the wet one at time, being sure to mix and knead thoroughly. If you are using a bread machine, add the ingredients in the order recommended for your unit and run the dough cycle.
3. Place the kneaded dough into your nonstick pan. Wet your hands to smooth and shape the loaf to best fit the pan.
4. Cover and let dough rise in a warm place for between 60 and 70 minutes.
5. Bake for 50 minutes and wait until cooled to slice.

Since the yeast makes a feast of the sugar, it is not included in the carb count.

Cook’s Tip…

Gluten yeast bread can only rise one time, so do not let it rise in the dough cycle.
Also note that the dough will be sticky.

In addition, your carb count will vary slightly depending on the type of whey protein you use.

GetFitMom 11-07-2006 06:41 PM

Jen's Mock Angel Food Cake
 
1 cup oat flour
1 1/2 cups splenda
1/4 tsp salt
12 egg whites
1 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/4 teaspon extract...almond, vanilla, strawberry,orange etc.

Sift flour with 3/4 cup of sugar four times. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add remaing sugar in thirds beating well after each addition. Sift flour in fourths into egg whites folding carefully with each addition. Fold in extract of your choice. Use vegetable spray to coat sides of 10-inch angel food pan. Pour in batter. Bake in preheated 375 oven about half an hour, or until golden brown. Loosen sides with a knife, turn cake out onto cooling rack. It's easier to slice on cooling rack.


Makes 16-3 carb servings...this is minus the fiber. :-) It's wonderful with whipped cream which adds one carb per tablespoon.

GetFitMom 11-07-2006 06:46 PM

Christmas Cookies
 
2 sticks butter - room temperature
½ cup non-hydrogenated shortening or lard
½ cup Splenda®
1 egg
¾ tsp (from the package) Kool Aid or Wylers no sugar added drink mix
[Use "Red" flavor (Cherry/Strawberry etc.) for red cookies, and Lime for green cookies]
1 cup vanilla whey protein powder
½ cup oat flour
1 tsp baking powder
Additional ⅓ cup Splenda®
Food color - optional

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream softened butter, shortening and ½ cup Splenda®. Add egg and mix. (If you're using the optional food color for added drama, add a few drops now and mix thoroughly.) Add drink mix, vanilla whey protein powder, oat flour and baking powder and mix until blended. Refrigerate ½ hour. Put ⅓ cup Splenda® in a small bowl. Roll dough into small balls and roll each lightly in Splenda®. Bake at 350°F for 5-7 minutes, being careful to watch so they don't burn.

Makes 5 dozen cookies. 1 carb per cookie.

GetFitMom 11-07-2006 06:47 PM

Nancy's Low Carb Lemon Squares (bar cookies)
 
Recipe By: "Nancy Huffines" alt.support.diet.low-carb

Crust:
3/4 cup almond flour
¼ cup oat flour
½ cup Splenda
½ cup softened butter
½ tsp guar or xanthan gum (optional, just helps hold it together better)

Filling:
2 large eggs
1 cup Splenda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 Tbsp lemon juice

Blend crust ingredients and pat into a Pam sprayed 8 x 8” baking pan. Bake for about 18 minutes or until very lightly browned and set (not shiny any more). Beat the ingredients for the filling (topping) for about a minute, pour evenly over the pre-baked crust and bake again for about 15-20 minutes or until barely browned and set. Let cool at room temperature, cut into 16 even squares. Keep cool in the refrigerator.

Per Serving 2.549 carbs & 103 cals per 1 of 16 servings.

GetFitMom 11-07-2006 06:49 PM

Gingerbread Cookies
 
These cookies are wonderful (and very Christmas-y) as-is, but if you want to frost them, they make a big splash with guests or your kids! Just mix 8 oz cream cheese with 1/3 stick of softened butter. Blend in 4 packets of Splenda and a dash of vanilla extract. Blend until creamy. A drop or two of food color will allow you to make gingerbread "ornaments".

1 3/4 cups almond flour
¼ cup oat flour
¼ lb (1 stick) softened butter
½ cup granular splenda
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar Twin
1 Tablespoon Molasses
2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 300°F.

Cream butter with Splenda and Brown Sugar Twin in a large bowl. Add water and spices and mix well. Gradually add almond flour and mix to a stiff dough.
Form into small balls and place on greased cookie sheet at least 1" apart.

Bake at 300°F for 20 minutes. After five minutes in oven, press cookies down with a fork in a criss-cross manner. Continue baking, being careful not to burn and adjusting time for your oven.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies - 1.4 effective grams of carbohydrate per cookie.

The Low Carb Luxury Online Magazine: December 5, 2003

abercrombie3f 11-07-2006 07:49 PM

yum--these sound AWESOME!

Yummy's_Girl 11-07-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GetFitMom (Post 7711491)
Chewey Brownies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup splenda
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
dash salt
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven 350. Melt butter. Add cocoa and blend until smooth. Add splenda and vanilla; blend til creamy. Add eggs and beat. Add flour and blend, but don't overbeat. Stir in nuts. Butter and (almond) flour 8x4" loaf pan. Bake 25 min.

Total: 72 carbs, 21 fiber (51 NET carbs), 1562 Calories, 137 fat, 54 protein. 8 brownies @ 6 carbs, 195 Calories, 17 fat, 7 protein.

These were exceptional. The combination of almond and oat flour made the consistency like real brownies.


I made these tonight and just got done tasting them! The consistencey is much like regular brownies. A tad drier than I am used to, but very good. Personally, I think it needs to be a tad sweeter though.

I used liquid Splenda instead of granular, to reduce carbs. So, I believe granular splenda is 24 carbs per cup? If i used liquid and minused the 24 carbs, that would leave me with 48 carbs for the recipe (going by the info listed above) and 21 fiber for a net carb count of 27 for the recipe. Divided by 8 brownies... So 3.4 carbs or so per brownie. Does that sound right? (I'm bad at math LOL)

GetFitMom 11-08-2006 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yummy's_Girl (Post 7712074)
I made these tonight and just got done tasting them! The consistencey is much like regular brownies. A tad drier than I am used to, but very good. Personally, I think it needs to be a tad sweeter though.

I used liquid Splenda instead of granular, to reduce carbs. So, I believe granular splenda is 24 carbs per cup? If i used liquid and minused the 24 carbs, that would leave me with 48 carbs for the recipe (going by the info listed above) and 21 fiber for a net carb count of 27 for the recipe. Divided by 8 brownies... So 3.4 carbs or so per brownie. Does that sound right? (I'm bad at math LOL)

No clue. Information Overload! :stars:

:laugh: I just follow the recipe. If I make any changes I don't sweat it because I low carb but don't count carbs. Did I confuse you? lol It just means that to give a ballpark figure (last I checked in ******) I probably eat between 30-45 carbs per day so 3.4 carbs vs 6 carbs wouldn't break the bank for me.

As for them being dry, I think adding another egg may help with that.

gpisabela 11-08-2006 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bev-Ann (Post 7711385)
Oat Bran: 1 cup = 62g carbs; 14g fibre
Oat Flour: 1 cup = 54g carbs; 9g fibre

So, Oat Bran = 48 g net carbs and Oat Flour = 45 g net carbs. How come that bran only is more carby than flour? :confused: Wheat bran is much less carby than wheat flour... Why would you use oat bran if it's more carby than oat flour which will be closer to real flour too? :confused: :confused:

Yummy's_Girl 11-09-2006 01:51 AM

Well I bough the oat bran by mistake. I was thinkign it needed that when it was actually oat fibre i needed. So, now that i have the oat bran, I dont want to waste it.

Yummy's_Girl 11-09-2006 01:53 AM

Anyone else have any recipes using Oat bran or oat flour?

GetFitMom, I dont count exact carbs either, but I try and lower them when I can, since I use the low carbing mostly for control of my diabtese, although the weight loss that has come along with it is a wonderful plyus!

Kevinpa 11-09-2006 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GetFitMom (Post 7711645)
1.5 g Net Carbs per slice (Makes 22 slices)

This bread is beyond good when toasted and slathered in your favorite butter or spread.

Ingredients

* 3/4 cup warm water
* 1/4 cup whipping cream
* 2 large eggs
* 1 Tbsp. olive oil
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 1 1/4 cups wheat gluten + 2 Tbsp.
* 1/2 cup oat flour
* 1/2 cup whey protein, vanilla
* 1/4 cup flax meal
* 2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1 Tsp. sugar
* 1 pinch stevia
* 2 1/2 Tsp. bread machine yeast

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF and butter a nonstick loaf pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients to the wet one at time, being sure to mix and knead thoroughly. If you are using a bread machine, add the ingredients in the order recommended for your unit and run the dough cycle.
3. Place the kneaded dough into your nonstick pan. Wet your hands to smooth and shape the loaf to best fit the pan.
4. Cover and let dough rise in a warm place for between 60 and 70 minutes.
5. Bake for 50 minutes and wait until cooled to slice.

Since the yeast makes a feast of the sugar, it is not included in the carb count.

Cook’s Tip…

Gluten yeast bread can only rise one time, so do not let it rise in the dough cycle.
Also note that the dough will be sticky.

In addition, your carb count will vary slightly depending on the type of whey protein you use.

First of all....Thanks for this great recipe GetFitMom.

I have been looking for a bread to use to make my turkey stuffing out of this year and this is it.

For those of you who are not bakers, I have to say this is one of the simplest bread recipe I have ever made and the results are super.

I combined all the dry ingredient in a glass mixing bowl then put the wet ingredients in my kitchen aid mixing bowl. With the paddle i mixed the wet for about 1 minute on low then added the dry mixing till well combined. I then changed the paddle for the dough hook and kneaded with the hook for 4 to 5 min.
I then turned the dough into a glass bread dish, covered and let rise for 1 hour. (dough was sticky as GetFitMom said).

At 1 hour the dough was double the size and I baked as directions states.

I didn't have all the ingedients called for so the following is what I used:

* 3/4 cup warm water
* 1/4 cup heavy cream
* 2 large eggs
* 1 Tbsp. olive oil
* 1/2 Tsp. salt
* 1 cup wheat protein isolate 8000
* 1/2 cup McCann's Irish Oatmeal (Steel Cut Oats) ground
* 1/2 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
* 1/4 cup golden flax seed meal
* 2 Tbsp Resistant Wheat Starch 70
* 2 Tsp. baking powder
* 1 Tsp. sugar
* 1 packet rapid rise yeast

Also my bread had 52 net carbs and I like my slices a bit thicker so I got 15 slices at 3.5 carbs per slice.

This is no LC spounge bread!! :up:

Thanks again GetFitMom for posting this recipe.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...inpa1/ob27.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...inpa1/ob31.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...inpa1/ob38.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...inpa1/ob42.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...inpa1/ob44.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...inpa1/ob46.jpg

magnamater 11-09-2006 11:47 AM

Yippee, thanks you two for the bread recipes!

Yummy's_Girl 11-09-2006 04:08 PM

can this bread be done without using a bread machine. I dont have a bread machine. How would I do it for baking in the oven? Ive never made homemade bread except banana bread. LOL

Kevinpa 11-09-2006 04:35 PM

I dont own a bread machine. Mine was done using a mixer.

Yummy's_Girl 11-09-2006 05:41 PM

cool thanks kevin i might make this, this weekend!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 AM.