Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Pumpkin Roll?

Anyone have a good recipe for a pumpkin roll? I'm going to attempt to convert one this afternoon and will post results later.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/150/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
This one is my favorite for the holidays!

This was submitted to LCF by Sosumi. It's really good and I'm glad to finally have a tasty recipe to use my Carbolose flour in.

Grandma's LC Pumpkin Roll

6 eggs
4 Tablespoons fiberfit
1 1/3 cup plain canned pumpkin
2 tsp lemon juice
1 ˝ cup carbalose
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
˝ tsp salt

Prepare a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan. Grease pan, line with wax paper. Grease and flour wax paper. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Beat eggs on high with sweetner until frothy. Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice. Mix well. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and slowly add to egg mixture.

Spread batter in prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. It is done when it springs back when lighly pressed. Dampen a tea towel with warm water and spread out on table or counter. Remove the cake from the oven and immediately loosen the cake and turn on to prepared towel. Carefully peel off wax paper. Gently roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.

Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake (see below). Carefully re-roll cake using the towel to support it and make rolling easier. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate one hour. Can also be frozen.

Filling

2 ˝ Tablespoons fiberfit
12 oz lowfat cream cheese, softened (1 ˝ - 8oz pkgs)
9 Tablespoons melted butter, slightly cooled
˝ Tablespoon sugar free vanilla syrup

Beat together, spread on cooled cake, then roll up ‘very’ carefully. It is easier to roll up if it is on the table – out of the pan. Wrap in waxed paper, then again in foil. May be frozen until ready to use.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Curious as to how your experiment comes out!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
This looks great..I was thinking of how LC vanilla ice cream would work instead of the cream cheese filling and it would be all set to go in the freezer..You could add some cinnamon to the vanilla and make cinnamon ice cream, too..Just a thought..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OOOOOOh, Carolyn, I like that idea, especially since it will be in the freezer, and therefore last a bit longer. . .I have to say I go it alone LC and no sugar during the holidays, so I LOVE the freezer idea, and the cinnamon is a nice touch for the ice cream. .
Old 11-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for posting that recipe Redhead.

Magnamater - so far, so good I guess. The roll kinda split in a couple of places when I rolled it up to cool. I unrolled it and put in the filling an re-rolled it. Since I didn't like the looks of the cracks in it, I spread some of the filling over the outside also and sprinkled a few chopped nuts on top. Now no one can see the cracks! Sneaky or Smart thinking? Anyway, I tasted the batter before I cooked it and it seemed pretty good; the filling tastes good also, so we're just letting it chill awhile. DH wants to try a piece later this evening so I'll report back then.

I have been telling myself often that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel!
Old 11-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #7

Tweaker: That is the problem with jelly rolls..they DO crack sometimes..don't know why either..but cream cheese covers a multitude of sins.. or whipped cream..

I just checked a couple of pumpkin roll recipes and basically, the ingredients are the same EXCEPT they halved the recipe..using basically half the ingredients listed above. That would make it thinner and easier to roll..Just a thought.

Last edited by CarolynF; 11-02-2006 at 04:48 PM..
Old 11-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok - the results are in!........Absolutely Delicious! I'm so happy with this.

Here's the recipe:

3 eggs
1 cup sugar equivalent
2/3 cup pumpkin
1 tsp. lemon juice

Beat eggs at high speed till nice a frothy. Gradually add the sugar subs. then stir in the pumpkin and lemon juice.

Sift together 3/4 cup flour sub (I used Joans cake flour blend, homemade version of Jenna Marie's cake flour blend), 1 tsp. baking powder, 2 tsp. cinnamon (I used Saigon cinnamon), 1 tsp. ginger, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, dash of salt.

Mix the dry and wet ingredients together. Spread onto greased waxed paper lined cookie sheet. Top with chopped walnuts (did't measure, just eyeballed). Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes. Turn out on a towel sprinkled with powdered Splenda. Roll up in towel to cool.

Filling: 1 cup powdered Splenda, 4 Tbsp. butter, 8 oz. cream cheese, softened. Mix by hand, (I added 1 tsp. vanilla extract also.) Unroll towel and spread on filling. Roll back up (if it cracks like mine did, save some of the filling to put over the top and sprinkle with a few more nuts). Refrigerate overnight - [B]IF[B] you can wait that long, we couldn't!

DH said this was better than the high carb version we had a friend's house recently! That's a real compliment!!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Tweaker Geek, that sounds so good! I'm glad your experiment came out so well. Now I'm going to have to make one soon. I haven't made one since last Christmas! My cake doesn't crack, but like Carolyn said, it may be because it's fairly thin. I top mine with whipped cream. Yum!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:35 PM   #10

K..I just did a quick search..and one hint was to add one package of unflavored gelatin to the dry ingredients of any cake to keep it from cracking..Hmmmm..

Because this cake is smaller, I bet 1/2 package of the gelatin might work..Interesting, huh???
Old 11-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn, interesting about adding the gelatin. I'll keep that in mind for next time. Thanks.

I also want to let you know that today it tastes even better- definitely a keeper!
Old 11-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Tweaker, that recipe sounds good. I'll make that for Thanksgiving instead of a lc cheesecake and for Xmas Eve.

I saved the one you posted too, Redhead, as I need to use up my carbolose too Thanks. They both sound so yummy.

Last edited by 24Fan; 11-04-2006 at 02:44 PM..
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Let us know how you like it 24Fan --- and any tweaks. Hope you enjoy!
Old 11-05-2006, 06:55 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, couldn't wait till T'giving. Hey, I HAVE to try a recipe out before serving on a holiday, are you with me folks?

I did tweak it. Used 20% coconut flour and the rest Carbolose, just for kicks. Bought this coconut flour and haven't tried it yet. I don't have any liquid splenda to cut carbs so I tried 1 tbls thicken/thinNotSugar and 1/2 cup powdered splenda.

I just took it out of the oven and oops a piece broke off OMG is this good. Plenty sweet enough too. This recipe is a keeper! I am using Tweaker's filling recipe but it's cooling right now so won't be able to taste the whole roll until after work.....if I can wait that long
Old 11-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #15

Did it crack, 24? That's a great idea to use coconut flour also..
Old 11-05-2006, 07:25 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Did it crack, 24? That's a great idea to use coconut flour also..
I just unrolled it, Carolyn. Yes, sad to say it cracked and it cracked bad but I''ll patch it up. It's a very forgiving dessert with that filling and being able to hide the cracks on the bottom.

Did I mention it tastes wicked good?
Old 11-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad you tried it and like it 24Fan. "I just took it out of the oven and oops a piece broke off .." Don't ya just hate it when that happens and ya just gotta taste it! Don't worry about those cracks - just patch 'em up!! No one will ever know the difference; I've had all favorable reports from those I've shared mine with.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #18

I just made my pumpkin roll using the 3 egg method..and added 1/2 envelope
of gelatin and rolled it up in a damp towel (see first method). It only cracked on the bottom where it gets rolled up..It's yummy..but it was very thin using the 3 egg method. When I do this again, I think I might do a 4.5 egg method and adjust the recipe accordingly..
Old 11-06-2006, 03:13 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn, What about merging the two recipes together that are posted here, see theredhead's post. . .it will fit a jelly roll pan, according to the recipe.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #20

Yes, that's what I was going to do..but I just used a bunch of pumpkin pie spice instead of doing the separate spices. I do think I would want my pumpkin roll
a tad bit thicker.I made Tweaker's recipe but added the pumpkin pie spice..very good..
Old 11-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL - I'm wondering if using a damp towel may have helped when I rolled this; I just put it on a plain old dry towel, but I did put some powdered Splenda on the towel before I put the cake on. I rember that I had to unroll it as I was doing the initial roll up and it was stuck to the towel pretty good!
Does the damp towel help with this?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

I think that the damp towel definitely helps with the whole process. I was planning to make my pumpkin roll for Thanksgiving, but with all this discussion, I may not be able to wait until then. LOL!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #23

Yes, the damp towel was great...I did a thin cotton one as opposed to a terry cloth one..Wet it with warm water and then rang it out really well..No sticking and I think it helped with the cracking because it gave some moisture to the cake..After it is all done and filled, you could sprinkle some Splenda on it..

I think mine would serve about 6 people..I had a piece for dinner..yumm
Old 11-07-2006, 04:18 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good point Carolyn, as I used a dry towel with Splenda sprinkled on it. Must've contributed to the cracking. Didn't stick to the cloth though. The cake was pretty thick, like a normal jelly roll.

I hear ya, Redhead! I couldnt' wait to try it
Old 11-07-2006, 07:05 AM   #25

Well..I just had another piece for my breakfast..and I'm liking the thin one because you get more filling..yummy....
Old 11-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sosumi
Stats: 276.5/ in progress /150
WOE: Atkins '72
Wow, how nice to see one of my very own recipes re-surface! This reminds me, I have to make it soon, it is my hubby’s favorite!

Carolyn is right; my batter is double the original. I experimented several times and found the thicker cake worked better. Also, it is very important to use a damp tea towel (plain cotton, not terry) and roll the cake while it is still hot. No cracks that way.
sosumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sosumi - is your recipe just like the one I posted with double all the ingredients? If there are changes, would you post your recipe also for comparison. I may make the thicker cake next time. You don't double the filling ingredients though, do you? I will definitely take your and Carolyn's advice and use the damp tea towel next time. Thank you both for that bit of information!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I will have to try the damp towel method, but I am pretty happy with mine. I may even make a buche de noel for Christmas!! An alternative to a towel is parchment paper.

I greased the pan and then lined with parchment paper and greased again. I left an overhang of paper on either end of the pan so later I could hold onto it like a sling to take the cake from the pan. I also floured the paper tapping out the excess.

After baking, I immediately loosened the edges of the cake with a knife. I lifted the cake by the parchment paper overhang and gently slid the cake from the pan onto a wire rack; leaving the parchment paper on .

I sifted powedered Splenda over the top of the cake and rolled it up while it was still hot, right from the oven. The parchment paper liner on the bottom of the cake, so I tightly rolled the cake with the liner. This kept the cake moist. Let the cake cool. Unroll and peel off paper. Fill and re-roll.

When I first started low carbing, I purchased ice cream cake rolls- can't remember the name. Now I can make my own!