Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Xcali
Stats: 203/132/128 (140 was original goal) * 5'8" * 41 *
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/28/2000 **Recently changed goal wt. to 128 lbs.
Help with Almond Milk Yogurt

Hi all ..

I'd love to try making homemade yogurt with the Unsweetened Almond Breeze. Here's the problem, its my understanding that to turn the milk into yogurt (besides needing the cultures, which I have) there needs to be some type of sugar for the bacteria to feed upon.

I've read about people using honey, maple syrup, fruit, etc. The point of making my own yogurt is to cut down on the sugars. Do you think adding Splenda would work?

I'm no chemist .. so I'm not sure if the bacteria would react to Splenda the same way they would with normal sugar.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Xcali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Hmmm...I will be interested to hear what others say about this, but it seems to me that you would need to add some type of real sugar. I tried making yogurt with Lactaid once and the added enzyme lactase, that helps break down the milk sugar lactose interferred with the fermentation. After 4 hours, and all I was left with was a watery mess.
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
I never would have considered making yogurt with something like Almond Breeze, but I've seen recipes for it made with soy milk, so..LOL, anything may be possible

If you do a Google for non dairy yogurt making ..you'll find some ideas.

hth
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Hmmm...I will be interested to hear what others say about this, but it seems to me that you would need to add some type of real sugar. I tried making yogurt with Lactaid once and the added enzyme lactase, that helps break down the milk sugar lactose interferred with the fermentation. After 4 hours, and all I was left with was a watery mess.
I've never successfully made any yogurt in only 4 hours....

That being said, I have made yogurt with cream (much lower lactose than "regular" milk) and it worked just great; used a standard milk yogurt recipe and approach. I've always wondered about that whole milk/lactose thing feeding the yogurt bacteria. If there's all of 12g lactose in a cup of milk, how does that manage to feed enough of the beasties to thicken that whole cup of milk? Even if it's the lactic acid they produce that does the thickening, it seems not very much is actually required... hmmmmmm.

If I were to try making the almond breeze yogurt, I'd just go ahead and do it, just do a small batch; there's not a lot to lose in trying a small 1-2 Cup batch, and if it doesn't thicken to your satisfaction, just turn it into a smoothie and try again! You probably don't need to bring the "milk" up to 180F, the proteins are different...

Last edited by theislandgirl; 10-27-2006 at 12:06 AM..
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:41 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bev-Ann
Stats: Ht 5' 2.5" Size 10 / 8 / 2
WOE: High Protein, LC
Start Date: Sep. 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali View Post
Hi all ..

I'd love to try making homemade yogurt with the Unsweetened Almond Breeze. Here's the problem, its my understanding that to turn the milk into yogurt (besides needing the cultures, which I have) there needs to be some type of sugar for the bacteria to feed upon.

I've read about people using honey, maple syrup, fruit, etc. The point of making my own yogurt is to cut down on the sugars. Do you think adding Splenda would work?

I'm no chemist .. so I'm not sure if the bacteria would react to Splenda the same way they would with normal sugar.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Splenda would not work. The bacteria need sugars to feed on so it is necessary to add some if you're not using cow's or goat's milk. They will get eaten up so you don't need to worry that they're going to add carbs to the finished product.
I haven't tried it with Almond Breeze, but I have with soy milk. It comes out sour like regular yogurt, but not as thick. I add 1 tbsp of refined white sugar per litre (quart). But the finished yogurt has a different flavour compared to cow-milk yogurt that I don't particularly care for.
As another poster suggested, do a google search for non-dairy yogurts. There's a lot of info out there.

There's a doctor who did research on how much lactose the bacteria eat per cup of cow's milk. He determined it was 8g. So if you make yogurt using whole milk, you end up with about 4g of carbs once it's completed the culturing process. Basically, you just subtract 8g of carbs per cup from the finished product. This applies to any cultured cow-milk product, like buttermilk, sour cream, etc. They don't subtract the carbs on nutrition labels for buttermilk (at least in Canada), but the USDA correctly reports only about 2g carbs for a cup of sour cream.

I prefer to make kefir from soy milk, also adding 1 tbsp of sugar/litre. In this case, the sugar also creates beneficial yeasts (the kind that actually destroy candida). It's been proven that kefir made using soy milk with sugar added at the beginning of the culturing process contains significantly more yeast than cow's milk. Kefir made from cow's milk is quite liquid, but the one I make with soy milk and sugar is very thick. Kefir is like yogurt on steroids.
Bev-Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:45 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev-Ann View Post
This applies to any cultured cow-milk product, like buttermilk, sour cream, etc. They don't subtract the carbs on nutrition labels for buttermilk (at least in Canada), but the USDA correctly reports only about 2g carbs for a cup of sour cream.
When I look on the USDA site, I see 9.82 carbs listed for a cup of sour cream.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:23 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
When I look on the USDA site, I see 9.82 carbs listed for a cup of sour cream.
Hmmm...you're right. It's been a long time since I've used that site. Now you've got me wondering why I thought that?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:10 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

THANKS to Nancy LC on another Board , a recipe is available the following are her words of wisdom:

Non-dairy yogurt Recipe

Ok, I gotta post this because I'm getting asked how to make this in several forums and I keep repeating the instructions. Instead, I can link to this!

I have a Salton Yogurt maker that makes 1 quart of yogurt, so this recipe fits that yogurt maker nicely.

Here's the steps one takes for making anything into "yogurt".

1) Kill the bad bacteria in your starting medium (milk, coconut milk, whatever). For non-milk products you can usually just boil it.

2) Add gelatin or pectin if you want it to get a yogurt like consistency, otherwise, if it isn't milk, it'll have more of a kefir like consistency. A thick liquid.

3) Add your bacteria food (something with sugars in it, like 1Tbl honey, pureed pineaple or banana). Mix well.

4) Cool to 90-100 degrees.

5) Add culture and incubate for 4-24 hours.

6) Pour into a clean container and refrigerate until it sets up.
================================================

MAINTAINER since Aug. '01
Old 10-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I did find the recipe from Nancy LC, however, it does mention adding sugar. I've been searching for a good day now on if its possible to make non-dairy yogurt without sugar, but so far, it seems that the bacteria must have some type of sugar.

I'm going to play around with this. I think I'm going to try to add some powdered milk to the almond milk. Powdered milk has some sugar to it and it may help to thicken the yogurt. Can't hurt to try.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:59 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I did find the recipe from Nancy LC, however, it does mention adding sugar. I've been searching for a good day now on if its possible to make non-dairy yogurt without sugar, but so far, it seems that the bacteria must have some type of sugar.

I'm going to play around with this. I think I'm going to try to add some powdered milk to the almond milk. Powdered milk has some sugar to it and it may help to thicken the yogurt. Can't hurt to try.

Thanks again!!
Why are you against adding sugar? It's going to be eaten by the bacteria so not available for you to metabolize and it won't add carbs to the outcome.
I added powdered milk to my soy milk yogurt and it only thickened it slightly.

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 10-27-2006 at 09:01 AM..
Old 10-27-2006, 09:08 AM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I know most of the sugar will get eaten, I was just trying to figure out a way to make yogurt without any sugar at all. I thought it might be worth a try .. lol ... however I guess I know now why yogurt must have some sugar in it.

Still, its all been very interesting reading about so many ways yogurt can be made .. soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc. I'm a yogurt lover and just got a new yogurt maker, so I thought it would be fun to experiment with different ways and type of milk to make yogurt.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Xcali, please let us know how it turns out using the Almond Breeze. As I mentioned, I don't like the flavour of the finished yogurt when I make it from soy milk.

Right now, I make my yogurt from goat's milk, powdered milk and yacon syrup added as a prebiotic. But the finished yogurt is over 4g net carbs per cup. My kefir works out to basically 0g carbs and I'd like to get my yogurt down close to that too.

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 10-27-2006 at 09:30 AM..
Old 10-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

xcali

...here's a statement from a commercial probiotics site, re the Results of Almond Milk made with and without Honey...quite a difference in the little "bacteria buggies" count ...LOL, and I assume they are the "friendly buggies" ..are they implying it can be made without a sugar?

ALMOND MILK YOGURT

(* their yogurt starters) can also be used to make almond milk yogurt at high probiotic concentrations. Recently we performed two tests using almond milk with and without honey. The resulting yogurt indicated 350 million probiotic bacteria per gram for the one without honey and 890 million per gram for the one with honey. The bacterial count was performed by an independent laboratory.

Last edited by shawneesioux; 10-27-2006 at 10:23 AM..
Old 10-27-2006, 10:31 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ira500
Stats: 224/178/166
WOE: Protein power/GO Diet
Start Date: 2/2001
Don't know if this is relevant, but I bake breads using splenda instead of sugar to feed the yeast.
I'm guessing you can make almond breeze yogurt using splenda.
ira500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira500 View Post
Don't know if this is relevant, but I bake breads using splenda instead of sugar to feed the yeast.
I'm guessing you can make almond breeze yogurt using splenda.
The only thing in Splenda that yeast or bacteria can feed on, is the maltodextrin base (1g per 2 Tsp in bulk Splenda). It ain't much.

Professional bakers are fully aware that yeast can and does feed on the starch in bread flours; sugars are added for flavour, 'browning' and a bit of a kickstart or to test the yeast.

So, sorry but you were right the first time, it's not really relevant that you use Splenda...

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR="Red"]I made soy yogurt awhile back. I didn't use any sugar in it. Only soy milk and either some yogurt I had saved or some starter, can't remember now which. I have a very old 5 cup Salton yogurt maker. I used the recipe from it, which did not say to use sugar. Said to make it just like making milk yogurt. It set up fairly well (I've had some milk yougurt which didn't set up any better), but like Shawanee said, I wasn't too crazy about the taste. It wasn't too bad tho, if I added flavoring to each cup, such as SF Davinci.

Not sure how the almond milk would do tho. Interesting.

Hmm, I went up and looked for my instruction book. I couldn't really find anyghing in it about using soy. Also found a pamplet I have from Yogourmet, and thought maybe that is where I looked about making soy yogurt. Can't find it in that either. But I was sure I had something as a guide. Maybe not. At any rate, I did not use sugar in it. Nothing but soy milk and culture (which may have been yogurt.)[/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawneesioux View Post
xcali

...here's a statement from a commercial probiotics site, re the Results of Almond Milk made with and without Honey...quite a difference in the little "bacteria buggies" count ...LOL, and I assume they are the "friendly buggies" ..are they implying it can be made without a sugar?

ALMOND MILK YOGURT

(* their yogurt starters) can also be used to make almond milk yogurt at high probiotic concentrations. Recently we performed two tests using almond milk with and without honey. The resulting yogurt indicated 350 million probiotic bacteria per gram for the one without honey and 890 million per gram for the one with honey. The bacterial count was performed by an independent laboratory.

Yes.. I saw that too. Would hate to lose so much beneficial bacteria, but I take a probiotic supplement anyway, so no biggie. I'd rather lose the sugar/carbs.

I'm off on Sunday and will have some time to play, we'll see what comes of all this. I've got a bunch of supplies all ready to go, so I'm going to be turning my kitchen in a yogurt playground. Wish me luck
Old 10-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR="Red"]Good luck. Be sure to let us know how it turns out.[/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:05 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Bev-Ann, about how much (either by volume or weight) kefir granules do your use per litre of soy milk?
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:12 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Bev-Ann, about how much (either by volume or weight) kefir granules do your use per litre of soy milk?
I buy the Yogourmet kefir starter (readily available in health food stores) and use 1 - 5g enevelope per litre of milk. I also add 1 tbsp of refined sugar per litre.
I use EdenSoy brand unsweetened soy milk (has the highest protein I've seen at 12g per 250ml serving) and I don't heat it or any other special preparations. Just make sure everything is at room temp, mix all together in a metal pot, cover and let it culture for 12 hours. Do not culture for more than 12 hours...soy milk cultures much faster than cow's milk. Then refrigerate for about 8 hours, stir well with a whisk and pour into a plastic container.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:37 PM   #21
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I just wanted to say that I didn't get a chance to experiment with the Almond Milk Yogurt yet. Had to work on Sunday so my yogurt experiment got delayed. Going to give it a shot tomorrow.

So far though, everything I read says I have to use some type of sugar. I'm going to try making it without sugar and see what happens. Worst thing would be I waste a carton of Almond Breeze.. no biggie. Best thing .. if I actually got something that tasted like yogurt and had the texture of yogurt without the sugar/carbs.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:56 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So far though, everything I read says I have to use some type of sugar. I'm going to try making it without sugar and see what happens. Worst thing would be I waste a carton of Almond Breeze.. no biggie. Best thing .. if I actually got something that tasted like yogurt and had the texture of yogurt without the sugar/carbs.
My first attempts at soy milk yogurt were without sugar and it didn't thicken at all. But I had similar results with whole-fat cow's milk...it tasted like yogurt but was the consistency of light cream. Adding sugar to the soy milk version only thickened it a little more than the cow's milk version. My goat milk yogurt thickens the most of all the formulas I've tried, but still nowhere near a commercial yogurt. And I add dry skim milk powder to that one (ups the carbs ). I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that there's something in the almond milk that will produce something better.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:09 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Make Your Own Buttermilk

This might be a threadjack, but it's about culturing milk so I've put it in here.
I use a lot of buttermilk in place of whole cow's milk in baking. If we follow the logic of the studies done, subtracting 8g per cup of a cultured milk product brings the carbs to only 4g for full-fat buttermilk. I've been making my own with goat milk because the two brands available to me only have 8g per cup to start with so it nets out to 0g. And it's even simpler than making yogurt.

1 litre (quart) goat milk
2 tbsp commercial full-fat buttermilk

Make sure ingredients are at room temp. Combine in a metal pot, stir well, cover and let sit at room temp for 24 hours. Refrigerate for about 8 hours. Whisk well and transfer to a plastic container.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The end product is thicker than commercial buttermilk and tastes exactly the same.

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 11-01-2006 at 05:11 AM..
Old 11-01-2006, 06:56 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Bev-Ann, how expensive is goat milk, assuming you don't get a goat?
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:38 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Bev-Ann, as to the buttermilk idea, that brought back to mind the fact that my DM made buttermilk when I was a child, from non fat dry milk, as that was the only milk I would drink then.

To threadjack just a little more. . .wonder if I was lactose intolerant back then, that's why I liked buttermilk, not "sweet" milk (my southern heritage is sneaking out here)

Back to the buttermilk culture idea. . .I think I'll make some Scott123 CC clone milke and culture it. . . won't be soon, but I'll try to report back my results. . .
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:53 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Bev-Ann, how expensive is goat milk, assuming you don't get a goat?
I pay $2.49/litre (quart) in Calgay, AB Canada. It's more expensive than just buying buttermilk, but it's worth it to me to get an end result that's 0g net carbs. I sometimes just drink a cup of it straight. I've always loved buttermilk.

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 11-01-2006 at 08:56 AM..
Old 11-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Bev-Ann, as to the buttermilk idea, that brought back to mind the fact that my DM made buttermilk when I was a child, from non fat dry milk, as that was the only milk I would drink then.

To threadjack just a little more. . .wonder if I was lactose intolerant back then, that's why I liked buttermilk, not "sweet" milk (my southern heritage is sneaking out here)

Back to the buttermilk culture idea. . .I think I'll make some Scott123 CC clone milke and culture it. . . won't be soon, but I'll try to report back my results. . .
I'm lactose intolerant so buttermilk is the only dairy milk I can drink. But I've always loved it, so no problem.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I just wanted to say that I didn't get a chance to experiment with the Almond Milk Yogurt yet. Had to work on Sunday so my yogurt experiment got delayed. Going to give it a shot tomorrow.

Xcali, have you had a chance to try this yet? I've been wondering how it turned out.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #29
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Bev..

Funny you should ask as I have my second batch working right now. The first batch .. well .. lets not go there I don't think is possible to make edible yogurt without sugar.

I did a little more research and got some ideas. I ordered a special sugar free pectin that has good success with soy yogurt. The person who wrote the article about making soy yogurt mentioned this pectin, so I e-mailed her and asked if she had ever tried it with Almond Milk. She said yes.. with very good success, so I went ahead and ordered it. I'm also using the High Probiotic Yogurt Start from Yogourmet.

Right now the batch I've got going is using Unsweetened Almond Breeze Vanilla, plus about 1 1/2 Tbs organic sugar plus 1 Tbs of the pectin.

I guess I'll know soon... lol .. I'll let you know for sure. I didn't want to post anything until I had gotten some decent results. Keep your fingers crossed!! (good thing Almond Milk isn't too expensive .. )
Old 11-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I did a little more research and got some ideas. I ordered a special sugar free pectin that has good success with soy yogurt. The person who wrote the article about making soy yogurt mentioned this pectin, so I e-mailed her and asked if she had ever tried it with Almond Milk. She said yes.. with very good success, so I went ahead and ordered it. I'm also using the High Probiotic Yogurt Start from Yogourmet.
I read that article too but didn't want to order the pectin just so I could experiment. Now I'm glad I didn't because I really hated the taste of the yogurt when I made it with soy milk.
Is the High Probiotic Yogurt Start from Yogourmet the one that says to use only in their Yogourmet Multi yogurt maker? They say it doesn't work for normal yogurt making and I don't use a yogurt maker, I just put mine in the oven and leave the interior lights on.