Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bev-Ann
Stats: Ht 5' 2.5" Size 10 / 8 / 2
WOE: High Protein, LC
Start Date: Sep. 2008
Yacon Syrup?

Has anyone used yacon syrup? I've got 5 bottles coming. I'm thinking it would be a great sub for molasses.
Bev-Ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Never heard of it, but looked it up and got this, amongst other things:

"This is 100% Raw Organic Yacon Syrup is a new sweetener (vegan) similar to molasses. Imagine a natural low-calorie sweet treat which is positively good for you and one you can indulge in even if you're diabetic. Nature's low calorie sweetener : Raw Organic Yacon Syrup!

Pressed from the yacon root, this gift from nature has been enjoyed for centuries in the Andean highlands of Peru. As a prebiotic, yacon is good for digestion, safeguards against colon cancer, and helps absorption of calcium and vitamins. Though packed with sweetness, the sugar in yacon is mainly fructooligosaccharide, which cannot be absorbed by the body. This means yacon syrup is both naturally low-calorie and low in mono and disaccharides (less than 1/2 g per serving), sugars that rapidly elevate blood sugar levels. Use our Raw Organic Yacon Syrup as you would honey or maple syrup on foods and in recipes or sweeten teas and beverages with a small amount.

Nutritional Analysis: Serving 1 Tbsp (15 ml), Calories: 30, Fat: 0 g, Protein: 0 g, Carbs: 7 g (3 g Fiber, <1 g Sugar"

I'll be interested to hear how you like it and if it causes you any issues!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
I am really interested in this item as well. Sounds like another item to ad to our arsenal!
Thanks,
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Charski, I should have provided more info in my original message. Thanks for posting that for me.
As for sweeteners, SA's (except erythritol) give me terrible gut problems and sucralose doesn't do anything for texture/body in recipes. I stumbled across these forums looking for info on polydextrose. PolyD is the best thing to come along for us LC bakers!
Now, I'm looking for subs for molasses and honey. When I found the sites for yacon syrup, it seemed like my search might be over. But I haven't used it yet and wanted to get the opinions of others who have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Nutritional Analysis: Serving 1 Tbsp (15 ml), Calories: 30, Fat: 0 g, Protein: 0 g, Carbs: 7 g (3 g Fiber), <1 g Sugar"
I wonder if the net carbs are even that high considering they don't list oligofructose as fibre on labels?
Old 10-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Freckles
Thanks for posting about Yacon syrup. I had never heard of it and it does sound promising! Maybe it could help replace the demara sugar my dh loves in his coffee.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
This sounds like it has great potential! Please let us know how it works out, once you get it!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ira500
Stats: 224/178/166
WOE: Protein power/GO Diet
Start Date: 2/2001
I'm growing yacon in my garden, almost ready for harvest. Never grew it before, and not sure what to do with it. All I know is that it's a tuber, and a source of inulin, healthy low carb. But if you have a reaction to polydextrose, yacon might have the same effect.
ira500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:54 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

The sites I found regarding the actual tuber say that it can be thinly sliced and dried, like apples or bananas, to make yacon "chips" that are eaten as candy. Sounds yummy!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #9
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev-Ann View Post
Charski, I should have provided more info in my original message. Thanks for posting that for me.
As for sweeteners, SA's (except erythritol) give me terrible gut problems and sucralose doesn't do anything for texture/body in recipes. I stumbled across these forums looking for info on polydextrose. PolyD is the best thing to come along for us LC bakers!
Now, I'm looking for subs for molasses and honey. When I found the sites for yacon syrup, it seemed like my search might be over. But I haven't used it yet and wanted to get the opinions of others who have.

I wonder if the net carbs are even that high considering they don't list oligofructose as fibre on labels?
What *I* am wondering is since they list 7 grams of carbs with 3 fiber and <1 sugar - what are the OTHER 3, do ya 'spose?!

Also, aren't carbs generally accepted as 4 calories per carb? If so then the calories should = 28, no?

Anyway it's VERY interesting and I'm anxious to see what you think!

I do have problems with PolyD - TERRIBLE "tummy rumbles" (but thankfully nothing worse than that in SMALL amounts - great amounts - very "fragrant" gaseous emissions! LOL!) so I wonder what this will do to me....

Char
Old 10-20-2006, 05:46 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
Char, Your a HOOT girl
I read up on this yesterday, I would love to know about it also.
I use to get s.f Honey at my grocery store, but the stopped selling it
and I get leary of Molasses. So yea, let us know what you think of it. Sounds great, and I would love to have a Molasses type substitue. Thanks
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:44 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rrosser
Like maple syrup, hmmmm. Wonder if you could make a decent pecan pie with it?
rrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Thats a rather pricey maple syrup at $22 for 16 oz.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Thats a rather pricey maple syrup at $22 for 16 oz.
It is pricey, but I've found it for $11.81 / 13 oz bottle online.
I don't plan to use it as an everyday sweetener, only in recipes. I make my own maple syrup sub but I haven't figured out how to sub for molasses yet and this looks promising.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:48 AM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
fructooligosaccharide = oligofructose = inulin = polymerized fructose

polyd = polymerized glucose

Polyd/inulin = polymerized sugars = higher saccharides

Polyd and inulin, as I have mentioned before, are interchangeable in recipes. Polyd is very inexpensive to manufacture (it's corn derived) while inulin/inulin based products tend to be quite costly.

There is an extremely remote chance that someone could be sensitive to polyd but be okay with inulin, but from what I know of their molecular structure, I highly doubt it.

Inulin intrigues me a little bit, but at the prices it's being sold at, there's almost zero incentive to play around with it. Polyd achieves the same effect at a fraction of the cost.

For instance, a 13 oz. bottle of yacon syrup costing $11.81 could be reproduced with about $1.50 worth of polyd.

Last edited by scott123; 10-21-2006 at 12:54 AM..
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:52 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
For instance, a 13 oz. bottle of yacon syrup costing $11.81 could be reproduced with about $1.50 worth of polyd.
Have you given any thought to how we could make a decent molasses sub? That's the only reason I'm looking at the yacon syrup.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
What *I* am wondering is since they list 7 grams of carbs with 3 fiber and <1 sugar - what are the OTHER 3, do ya 'spose?!

Also, aren't carbs generally accepted as 4 calories per carb? If so then the calories should = 28, no?

Anyway it's VERY interesting and I'm anxious to see what you think!

I do have problems with PolyD - TERRIBLE "tummy rumbles" (but thankfully nothing worse than that in SMALL amounts - great amounts - very "fragrant" gaseous emissions! LOL!) so I wonder what this will do to me....

Char
With rounding being applied to all macronutrients in a label, the only thing one can generally count on as close to accurate, sorry to say, is the calorie count. FYI, for calculation purposes, the actual "carb/calorie factor" is [COLOR="DarkRed"]3.84063 cals/gram[/COLOR] -- there's an example for ya!

There are probably trace amounts of fat and protein affecting the calorie count...

The descriptions of this root so far remind me quite a lot of sunchokes or Jerusalem Artichokes, also an excellent source of inulin/fructooligosaccharides. I grow these and like to eat them; they taste like a sort of of LC potato with a hint of apple flavour. Slightly more starchy tasting than, say, Jicama root ("mexican potato").

Hmmmmmm.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Thanks, Jude, I've been doing some reading (always interested in new LC foods) and some sources say it is also known as sunchokes or Jerusalem Artichokes, while other articles say it is in the same family.

A little OT, Jude, but just wondering if you weren't on another LC site, as Judy Island Girl?

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:14 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlynn9 View Post
Thanks, Jude, I've been doing some reading (always interested in new LC foods) and some sources say it is also known as sunchokes or Jerusalem Artichokes, while other articles say it is in the same family.

A little OT, Jude, but just wondering if you weren't on another LC site, as Judy Island Girl?

Sheryl
I was wondering about that relationship...they're both related to sunflowers (Smallanthus species) but I think they might be slightly different cousins. Kissin' cousins, I think. Can grow sunchokes here, but the high-altitude Peruvian Yacon roots are described as dark brown, long and thin. I know for a fact that my sunchokes, though dark brown on the outside and white on the inside, are always knobbly, very knobbly (a pain to clean, for sure). I'm still researching, but I'll go with the kissin' cousins relationship thus far...

edit: hmmmm, I'm running into language indicators showing a relationship, naming wise at least, to jicama, which I did point out has flavour similarities to the sunchoke; this gets more interesting by the minute...

And yes, I'm IslandGirl or TheIslandGirl wherever I sign on to forums and lists, for consistency's sake.

Last edited by theislandgirl; 10-23-2006 at 11:17 PM..
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:24 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I'm growing Yacon in Seattle, bought from little starts, and they've grown big.
Not sure when to harvest.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Yacon Syrup Picture

Here's a pic I took. Click on the image to see a larger version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yacon2.jpg (54.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

After our hard frost a couple of weeks ago here in Seattle, I harvested my yacons.
Stir fried some with onion and pepper.
Interesting good taste, kind of a cross between celery, granny smith apple, and potato.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:05 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira500 View Post
After our hard frost a couple of weeks ago here in Seattle, I harvested my yacons.
Stir fried some with onion and pepper.
Interesting good taste, kind of a cross between celery, granny smith apple, and potato.
That does sound interesting. Did they soften up like a potato?
How many tubers did you get?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:11 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I got about 9 fairly large tubers looking like sweet potatoes.
They didn't really soften up like a potato, but did soften a little bit and did brown in the frying pan like a home friied potato.
I got my yacon plant online.
I figure if I can grow em in Seattle, a place not noted for it's abundant sunshine, a place where it can be grey and rainy for weeks on end, you can grow em in Calgary.
I put my yacon plant in the ground in late May-early June, and it took right off, and didn't require extra care, wasn't fussy or demanding, and thrived on the neglect I too often give my garden.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:55 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Any new updates on this yacon syrup?

Any other people try it and it's still suppressing appetites?
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:30 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Any new updates on this yacon syrup?

Any other people try it and it's still suppressing appetites?
It's the inulin in the syrup that suppresses appetite. If that's all you want it for, it's much cheaper to buy the straight inulin from Netrition. There's another thread about it in this sub-forum that you should check out. A few people have reported that it's working for them.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:58 AM   #27
Gadget Gal

Mine just arrived yesterday! Woo hoo! I haven't had time to do anything other than open and taste it though. I like the taste - kind of a fruity molasses flavor.

I should get a chance to play with it this long weekend though.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
It's the inulin in the syrup that suppresses appetite. If that's all you want it for, it's much cheaper to buy the straight inulin from Netrition. There's another thread about it in this sub-forum that you should check out. A few people have reported that it's working for them.
Truly, I wanted it for the cravings for sweets and to use in baking. I'm willing to try both, just waiting until I need to order from netrition again. I was reading the thread you started in the vitamin section last night, is that the thread you are referring to?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:20 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Truly, I wanted it for the cravings for sweets and to use in baking. I'm willing to try both, just waiting until I need to order from netrition again. I was reading the thread you started in the vitamin section last night, is that the thread you are referring to?
There is another thread in this forum about the inulin. That's the one you want to control cravings. Yacon syrup has inulin in it and that's what controls the appetite/cravings. The people buying yacon syrup are using it as a LC replacement for molasses. Yacon syrup is very expensive, inulin isn't.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
There is another thread in this forum about the inulin. That's the one you want to control cravings. Yacon syrup has inulin in it and that's what controls the appetite/cravings. The people buying yacon syrup are using it as a LC replacement for molasses. Yacon syrup is very expensive, inulin isn't.
ok thanks