Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Help converting recipe for Pecan Bars...Scott123?

This is one of my favorite recipes from the old Joy of Cooking cookbook that I always made during the holidays. I would like some help in lowcarbing it. The main problem for me is the topping. There is an icing also which I can do without. Here is the recipe:

Joy Pecan Bars

CRUST
½ cup butter
¼ cup sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
1¼ cups flour
1/8 teaspoon salt

TOPPING:
2 eggs, beaten
1½ cups brown sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons flour
1½ cups chopped pecans

For crust: Cream butter and sugar until well blended. Beat in egg and vanilla well. Combine flour and salt. Add dry ingredients in about 3 parts to the butter mixture, blending them well. Use hands to pat dough evenly in a 9x12 pan. Bake for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Spread with the topping ingredients mixed well. Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees. When cool, ice with 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar thinned to a spreading consistency with water or lemon juice. Original recipe used ½ cup coconut and 1 cup pecans but I usually use all pecans.

I have PolyD, Erythritol, Diabetisweet white & brown, liquid Splenda, AceK, molasses to work with. For the flour, I have Carbquik and Carbalose, almond flour, WPI.
_____
Judy
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2006, 03:41 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Judy, this is how I'd approach it. I've used a few ingredients you don't have (resistant wheat starch, isomalt). Resistant wheat starch is proving to be invaluable for crusts. The isomalt is crucial to the icing- isomalt or maltitol are the only sugar subs that work in icings such as this.

CRUST:
1/3 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. WPI 5000
1/2 C. blanched almond flour
3 T. resistant wheat starch
1/4 C. sweetening equivalent:
3 T. polyd
1 T. diabetisweet (white)
2 T. splenda equivalent
1/2 t. vanilla
1 large egg
1/8 teaspoon salt
Ice water (as necessary)

TOPPING:
2 eggs
1½ cups brown sugar equivalent
3/4 C. polyd
1/2 C. brown diabetisweet
1/4 C. splenda equivalent
1/4 C. erythritol
1 t. blackstrap molasses
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon carbalose
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (or 1/8 t. thickenthin)
1½ cups chopped pecans

ICING:
3/4 cup isomalt
1/8 t. xanthan gum
3 T. splenda equivalent
water or lemon juice

Crust: Mix butter with splenda and diabetisweet. Beat in egg and vanilla well. In a separate bowl mix WPI, resistant starch, polyd and salt. Combine dry and wet, blending well. If dough doesn't come together, add ice water, a tablespoon at a time until it does. Use hands to pat dough evenly in a 9x12 pan. Bake for about 20 minutes at 300 degrees.

Topping: Blend eggs briefly. With blender on, slowly pour in polyd/xanthan. Transfer to a bowl and mix in remaining ingredients. Spread crust with the topping. Bake for about 25 minutes at 325 degrees.

Icing: In a coffee grinder, grind isomalt and xanthan to an extremely fine powder. Add splenda and thin to a spreading consistency with water or lemon juice. Ice cooled bar.

Notes

Quantity of the pastry dough. This should make enough dough for a 9 x 12 pan, but until it's made, I can't be certain. Make a mental note of how the crust fills the pan and how it compares to the crust from the conventional recipe.

Baking time is approximate. Almond flour browns faster than wheat flour so pay close attention to the crust as it's baking. At the same time, though, WPI absorbs more water than wheat flour so this crust might take a long time to dry out. Taste the crust before adding topping to ascertain doneness.

Blending the eggs and the polyd incorporates a LOT of air. This air will provide a considerable amount of leavening. I've cut the baking powder in half, but pay attention to the final product, future versions may not require baking powder at all.

The isomalt will take a while to grind to an extremely fine powder. If it gets too warm it will get sticky. Grind it a minute or two at a time, stopping in between. Test the particle size by making some icing and tasting it.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Thanks so much, Scott. I knew you would be able to help. I would probably have tried some of those ingredients but couldn't figure out the amounts I should use. I have resistant corn starch. Does it work in crusts the same as the wheat? I have never used it but wasn't aware of the difference when I got it. What is the R corn starch good for?
Thanks again, Scott.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Judy, resistant corn starch and resistant wheat starch aren't interchangeable I still have yet to figure out a good use for the R corn starch. For a short time, I was using it my pizza crust and it was performing fairly well, but I've since switched to the R wheat starch. I do know, for a fact, that it doesn't work well in gravies. At least not on it's own.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:53 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
... I still have yet to figure out a good use for the R corn starch...
Deep/Fry Dust...not bad!

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
Deep/Fry Dust...not bad!

Okay, I'll take your word for it