Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
coconut cream question

Does anybody know the difference between coconut cream and coconut cream concentrate is and what their respective uses might be?
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Does anybody know the difference between coconut cream and coconut cream concentrate is and what their respective uses might be?
I think it's just the absence of water.

Coconut Cream Concentrate 16 ounces

Coconut Cream Concentrate is certified organic whole coconut meat in concentrated form. It contains no additives* (not even water). The dried coconut meat is ground into a very fine powder, giving it a creamy consistency due to its high fat content. Since it is 70% fat, it is a rich source of pure coconut oil. Note: this is a food, not a cooking oil.

You can mix 1 or 2 teaspoons of Coconut Cream Concentrate with water or juice to make a creamy coconut milk drink. It is also an excellent ingredient for cooking and baking. Because of its low moisture content, it can be mixed right in the batter or dough of breads and pastries. It can also enhance soups, be blended with smoothies, or made into ice cream. Many people just eat it straight, or spread it on breads and crackers, because it is so delicious!

Note: in colder weather Coconut Cream Concentrate will become hard, due to the high amount of natural coconut oil and fiber. It needs to be warmed to liquefy. But this is a food, not a cooking oil. If you use high heat, it will burn.

Commercial coconut milks and creams are generally sold in cans, or sometimes boxes and tetra packs. The main ingredient in these products is water. If the fat content is 17%, it is called "coconut milk." If the fat content is 24%, it is called "coconut cream." But most of what you are purchasing is water. Coconut Cream Concentrate, on the other hand, has NO water, and is pure coconut. Unlike the commercial varieties, it also contains ALL the fiber of the coconut. Pure, dried coconut contains more fiber per gram than even oat bran! This fiber has been stripped out of commercial coconut milks and coconut creams. Also, almost all commercial coconut milks and creams have additives to prevent the water from separating from the coconut oil, and also have sulfites added to keep it white longer. Sometimes these additives are so small, that the FDA does not require them to list them on their labels as ingredients. Coconut Cream Concentrate, however, contains NO additives and NO preservatives at all: it is 100% natural coconut made from certified organic Philippine coconuts grown without pesticides or fertilizers. Coconut Cream Concentrate comes packaged in 1 pint or 1 quart glass jars.
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa View Post
I think it's just the absence of water.
So just by adding water to the concentrate that give you cocont cream?

I read a few things similar to what you posted but when I was done reading I still was confused.....must be old age setting in.....
Old 09-25-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
Quote:
So just by adding water to the concentrate that give you cocont cream?

I read a few things similar to what you posted but when I was done reading I still was confused.....must be old age setting in.....
Yes. I got some a while ago from an Asian food market...really cheap. Doubt if it was organic though.
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
I got some of this from tropical traditions and I've only used it once, but I just added water to it and mixed it up...worked great. Now all I need are ideas and recipes to use it in. I like the fact that it is concentrated and you only need mix up as much as you need to use at one time. Of course, they had a great sale when I was shopping and got 2 qts free for buying 2 qts, so I have lots of it to use up. (don't know what I was thinking by ordering so much--but I just hate to pass up great deals...bargain shopper that I am.)
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

ok, my next question is how much of the consentrate do I mix with water to make coconut cream?
Old 09-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Well, it makes coconut milk, not coconut cream, according to my label here.
It says to mix 1 teaspoon with 6-8 ounces of water for coconut milk. I used double because I wanted more coconut flavor. At 1.1 g carb per teaspoon, I could get away with using even more. I think to use it as coconut cream, you might not dilute it or dilute it very little. I could be wrong about that though.(oops, see next post below.)

This is also what the label says: "Coconut Cream concentrate is 100% pure natural coconut. Mix 1 teaspoon with 6-8 ounces of water to make natural coconut milk, or in other drinks and liquids for a natural coconut drink.

It can also be used as a spread on crackers, bread, etc. Coconut Cream concentrate is about 70% pure coconut oil, and will become hard when stored in temperatures below 75 degrees. Store in areas above 75 degrees for a smoother and creamier consistency, or warm slightly before use."

Does that help any?

I borrowed this from the website where I got mine:

"Ingredients: 100% Pure Organic Coconut!
Nothing else!
What is Coconut Cream ConcentrateTM?

Coconut Cream Concentrate is certified organic whole coconut meat in concentrated form. It contains no additives* (not even water). The dried coconut meat is ground into a very fine powder, giving it a creamy consistency due to its high fat content. Since it is 70% fat, it is a rich source of pure coconut oil. Note: this is a food, not a cooking oil.

How is Coconut Cream ConcentrateTM used?

You can mix 1 or 2 teaspoons of Coconut Cream Concentrate with water or juice to make a creamy coconut milk drink. It is also an excellent ingredient for cooking and baking. Because of its low moisture content, it can be mixed right in the batter or dough of breads and pastries. It can also enhance soups, be blended with smoothies, or made into ice cream. Many people just eat it straight, or spread it on breads and crackers, because it is so delicious! For some great recipes, get the Virgin Coconut Oil book.

Note: in colder weather Coconut Cream Concentrate will become hard, due to the high amount of natural coconut oil and fiber. It needs to be warmed to liquefy. But this is a food, not a cooking oil. If you use high heat, it will burn.

How is Coconut Cream ConcentrateTM different from canned coconut milks and creams?

Commercial coconut milks and creams are generally sold in cans, or sometimes boxes and tetra packs. The main ingredient in these products is water. If the fat content is 17%, it is called "coconut milk." If the fat content is 24%, it is called "coconut cream." But most of what you are purchasing is water. Coconut Cream Concentrate, on the other hand, has NO water, and is pure coconut. Unlike the commercial varieties, it also contains ALL the fiber of the coconut. Pure, dried coconut contains more fiber per gram than even oat bran! This fiber has been stripped out of commercial coconut milks and coconut creams. Also, almost all commercial coconut milks and creams have additives to prevent the water from separating from the coconut oil, and also have sulfites added to keep it white longer. Sometimes these additives are so small, that the FDA does not require them to list them on their labels as ingredients. Coconut Cream Concentrate, however, contains NO additives and NO preservatives at all: it is 100% natural coconut made from certified organic Philippine coconuts grown without pesticides or fertilizers. Coconut Cream Concentrate comes packaged in 1 pint or 1 quart glass jars."

They have several recipes on their site and I didn't look at all of them, but I didn't see any using the coconut cream concentrate. I'll have to look more later on. I mainly got mine to make coconut milk and I love the fact that it's low in carbs and I don't mind the coconut flavor in anything so far.

I'll try some baking experiments later on and post my results if they work out. I put some of the milk I made in a strawberrie smoothie with some strawberries and protein powder and it was pretty good. I also used some of the mix I made up--I only made up 2 cups and only once so far--in some nuker bread I was playing with. It didn't change the taste or the texture, of course it was only a small amount, about 2-3 Tablespoons. I'm not real experienced at using coconut milk, but I'm thinking it might make wonderful coconut pudding.

Kevin, please let us know how it works in your new whipper. That sounds like a fun kitchen toy to have.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 09-26-2006 at 04:12 PM..
Old 09-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I'm not really good at figuring out the percentages, but if coconut milk is 17% fat and coconut cream is 24% fat and this concentrate is 70% fat, then I'm thinking the water to mix with it would be somewhere around 2/3 part water to 1/3 part concentrate. What do you think?

My other thought is that this product might help with the texture of baked goods using the coconut flour.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 09-26-2006 at 04:10 PM..
Old 09-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

I read all that sugar and in all of that they tell you what the ratio is to make coconut milk but not what it takes to make coconut cream like the the kind you can buy that is already coconut cream.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Kevin, I'm not sure there is a set definition for coconut cream. I've purchased coconut cream that was sweetened, coconut cream that was unsweetened but no thicker than coconut milk, and coconut cream that was thicker than coconut milk. The term is very loosely used. I've also seen some coconut milks list 'coconut extract' as an ingredient, which may or may not be the same thing as coconut concentrate. I gave up trying to classify it a long time ago.

I make my own coconut extract/concentrate by heating cans of coconut milk in a warm oven, refrigerating them, poking holes in the bottom and letting the liquid drain off. The solid part that's left is extremely fatty/concentrated. Depending on what brand of coconut milk I use, a 79 cent can will yield about 1/3 to 1/2 can extremely thick cream/extract.

I use this cream in Thai curries, and also in recipes where I use coconut oil. It has some water (not much, though) so frying with it gets tricky. For a while I was using it in buffalo wings in place of butter. At some point I may take a shot at clarifying the fat and using it for sauteeing/frying.

Last edited by scott123; 09-26-2006 at 04:16 PM..
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Kevin, I emailed the company and asked them. If/when they respond, I will post the info for you.

I only found one recipe on the site that actually uses the coconut cream and it mixes 2Tablespoons with 1/4 c. of water. Maybe that will be a starting place for you, hopefully.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

"Coconut cream - The first extraction of coconut milk, this liquid is quite thick, with a ratio of about 4 parts coconut to 1 part water. Available canned or frozen, and usually used in thick sauces and desserts."

So my percentage I stated earlier would render it a bit thicker. I'm trying to figure out how to "warm" mine up as its in a solid state right now. Doesn't seem cooler than 75 degrees in here, but I guess it must be. I wanted to try some test batches and compare them to cream for reference, but I've got to figure out how to melt it back to liquid again.

I don't know if you have gotten your order yet, but I thought I'd mention when this stuff is in solid form, it separates, the heavy stuff is whiter and on the bottom and the stuff on top is lighter white. (If you wanted to know..)

Last edited by SugarBabi; 09-26-2006 at 05:06 PM..
Old 09-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Just to add to the heap of information, up here in Canada (and imported from India, I believe), we have the exact same product but it's called
Cream of Coconut, and comes in 200g blocks about the size of a bath size bar of soap...

Ingredients: Pure Coconut, No Artificial Colourings or Flavourings.

The useful bit is this:
"[COLOR="Blue"]...Add directly in small pieces towards the end of cooking to give a rich coconut flavour or use more sparingly to temper stronger flavours. Ideal with curries and savoury dishes, it dissolves easily to provide a substitute for Coconut Milk (approximately 1/4 block = 400ml can Coconut Milk) or Cream (add 100g Creamed Coconut to 150ml hot water - when soft beat well to form a thick sauce).[/COLOR]
"
Translating from the metric for y'all, and for the incomplete instructions:
Coconut Milk: add 50g Creamed Coconut to 350mL hot water.
Coconut Cream: add 100g Creamed Coconut to 150mL hot water.
Either: beat well to blend and for an even consistency before use.

That 50g is almost equal to 3.5 Tbsp, and the 100g to 6.75 Tbsp for those of you who don't weigh stuff. 350mL is about 1.5 Cups and 150mL is just a titch over 2/3 Cup.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks theislandgirl.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 09-26-2006 at 05:37 PM..
Old 09-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
Coconut Cream: add 100g Creamed Coconut to 150mL hot water.

Thanks Jude

I'm pretty sure this is what I was looking for.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:01 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Jude, your Cream of Coconut must be real close to the Coconut Cream Concentrate because I just combined 200g of the concentrate(1/2 a 16 floz jar) with 300 ml of chocolate almond breeze over a low heat and it turned out what I would call a perfect coconut cream texture. This stuff has some great possibilities. I am going to continue playing with it.....
Old 09-27-2006, 09:54 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Jude, your Cream of Coconut must be real close to the Coconut Cream Concentrate because I just combined 200g of the concentrate(1/2 a 16 floz jar) with 300 ml of chocolate almond breeze over a low heat and it turned out what I would call a perfect coconut cream texture. This stuff has some great possibilities. I am going to continue playing with it.....
Yes, it's entirely the same product, just a different country of origin and slight name change; the Creamed Coconut is made exactly the same way as described for the Coconut Cream Concentrate. I do like that "my" Creamed Coconut comes in a solid block, (technically) storable at room temp until opened/unwrapped. Most convenient.

Great stuff, eh?

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Great stuff, eh?

I took my chocolate almond coconut cream and to it I added 1/4 cup LC peanut butter and 1/4 cup davinci chocolate syrup mixed it up and put it in my whipper........Woa Nellie!!! I'm making frozen treats out of these.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I took my chocolate almond coconut cream and to it I added 1/4 cup LC peanut butter and 1/4 cup davinci chocolate syrup mixed it up and put it in my whipper........Woa Nellie!!! I'm making frozen treats out of these.
The stuff whips?!? This is cool. I would have thought the whipper nozzle would clog...do you stir in the PB first to break it down?

Old 09-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
The stuff whips?!? This is cool. I would have thought the whipper nozzle would clog...do you stir in the PB first to break it down?

I took 200g of the concentrate(1/2 a 16 floz jar) with 300 ml of chocolate almond breeze over a low heat and it turned out what I would call a perfect coconut cream texture. I then added the peanutbutter and davinci syrup and it was like runny pudding. I put it in the fridge and within 30 min it turned to a solid but 2 mins in the microwave had it rigth back to runny pudding.

I loaded it and shot it into small plastic cups till it was empty. A picture is in the whipper thread.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I took 200g of the concentrate(1/2 a 16 floz jar) with 300 ml of chocolate almond breeze over a low heat and it turned out what I would call a perfect coconut cream texture. I then added the peanutbutter and davinci syrup and it was like runny pudding. I put it in the fridge and within 30 min it turned to a solid but 2 mins in the microwave had it rigth back to runny pudding.

I loaded it and shot it into small plastic cups till it was empty. A picture is in the whipper thread.
You're probably rounding (we Canadians are soooo metric ) but 8 oz is much closer to 226g ... FYI for your notes. 28.34g per ounce... (yup, just call me persnickety).

This sounds like a LOT of fun, Kevin. I wonder how long it takes to solidify at room temp, or just how much it would solidify, with the high coconut oil content, at room temp...I'm going to have to dig out my wee whipper and a cartridge, now. Thanks, eh!?!

Old 09-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
You're probably rounding (we Canadians are soooo metric ) but 8 oz is much closer to 226g ... FYI for your notes. 28.34g per ounce... (yup, just call me persnickety).

This sounds like a LOT of fun, Kevin. I wonder how long it takes to solidify at room temp, or just how much it would solidify, with the high coconut oil content, at room temp...I'm going to have to dig out my wee whipper and a cartridge, now. Thanks, eh!?!

Actually I was not rounding. I have metric liquid measures and a very accurate digital scale. I based my mix on what you originally told me.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:00 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Actually I was not rounding. I have metric liquid measures and a very accurate digital scale. I based my mix on what you originally told me.
Hey, that's a good thing! I was just going by your "half of a 16 fl oz jar" comment. I'll just shaddup now

Old 09-28-2006, 05:17 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hey, that's a good thing! I was just going by your "half of a 16 fl oz jar" comment. I'll just shaddup now

Ok, I guess I was rounding with my guess when I looked at the jar and thought "that looks like about half left"..........