Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Spelt flour vs. Whole wheat flour

Can anyone tell me of any difference between the two? There is a recipe for Spelt buttermilk biscuits in our newspaper today that I'd like to try. I have whole wheat flour, no spelt. I've checked the nutritional information and the carbs come out the same, by my calculations, for both of them. Whole wheat says 87 carbs per cup with 15 grams of fiber, so a net carb of 72. Spelt says 22 grams per 1/4 cup with 4 grams of fiber; so a cup of spelt is 88 grams with 16 grams of fiber for a net carb of 72 carbs. If there is no real difference so far as carbs are concerned, is there any other reason to get the spelt flour? Taste of anything?

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
This is a great question..I have heard that spelt flour causes less of an insulin
reaction than whole wheat..and I have seen spelt pasta at my hfstore..
Would like some information, too.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
I have used spelt flour (and spelt pasta) a lot throughout the years and find it to be much milder tasting than whole wheat. While I like ww, I'd take the spelt over it any day.
underHiswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
My grandson is allergic to flour, but my daughter bakes things for him with spelt, and uses spelt noodles, etc for him. Tough being a little boy who can't tolerate wheat products. She uses regular recipes with the spelt.
He also cannot have colorings, artificial flavorings, corn syrup, think there are more, and everything you buy has one or all of these ingredients.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Laurie, when you say a milder taste what do you mean? Sounds like a dumb question I know, but I don't find a real strong taste with whole wheat, maybe it's just me. The biscuit recipe I mentioned uses 2 cups of spelt flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, butter and buttermilk. Maybe I could use 1 cup spelt or whole wheat and 1 cup of Carbalose to cut the carbs a bit. I'll have to experiment sometime I guess.

Thanks for the replies.

Carolyn, if you want to try this before me, I'll post the recipe
Old 09-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Laurie, when you say a milder taste what do you mean? Sounds like a dumb question I know, but I don't find a real strong taste with whole wheat, maybe it's just me. The biscuit recipe I mentioned uses 2 cups of spelt flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, butter and buttermilk. Maybe I could use 1 cup spelt or whole wheat and 1 cup of Carbalose to cut the carbs a bit. I'll have to experiment sometime I guess...
Hmmm...yeah, TG, it IS hard to describe taste...it is relative! But, I've heard it described a "sweet, nutty" taste. It is kind of like mild in the sense that "oat" flour is...or am I making it worse? You know, when I would use it in breads though, for instance, I would actually mix different flours...ww, spelt, oat, kamut. But in and of itself, it is reminiscent of a "whole grain" taste...just on a lesser scale...so spelt pancakes or pasta is just really good...to me! Well, that should clear things up! I like your idea of a combo though!

PEACE
underHiswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sumi
Stats: 185 (34% BF)/182/145
WOE: Sugar Busters?
Start Date: 9/12/06
I used Spelt a few weeks ago before starting low carb. I didnt know it had less carbs but use it because i had heard it would make better bread than whole wheat. I didnt like it a bit. It would gring fine enough for me like my pastry wheat does. I think if I were to use flour again I would experiment with a combo of soy and oat or something like that. If you buy it already ground maybe it will work better though!
sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
I love spelt flour and it is a wonderfully mild tasting grain. However, the gluten is not as durable as wheat gluten, thus it is often tolerated by people who are gluten sensitive. And since it is less durable, it usually requires only 1 kneading. Overkneading will just make the bread collapse, so you need to be aware of this. Also, it is quite touchy to the amount of liquid it can hold, so it is always better to add a bit less and increase as needed. You can get both white and whole grain spelt versions.

I like both spelt and whole wheat and find that they are wonderful additions to my baking pantry.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok guys, I made the biscuit recipe today. Here's what I used and what I think the carb count will be, give it a look and let me know if I'm right, wrong or even close--

1 cup Carbalose flour (19 net carbs)
1 cup Whole Wheat flour (72 net carbs)
4 teas. baking powder
1 teas. baking soda
3/4 teas. salt
1 stick cold butter
3/4 cup plus about and 1/8 cup buttermilk (carton says 13 carbs per cup so I'll just use 13)

I got 14 biscuits from the recipe so that's 7.4 carbs per biscuit, I hope! I don't count the bp, bs, salt and butter - I don't get too fanatic over the small stuff!:laugh

I just tried half of one with some butter and it's pretty darn good!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
Hey Sug...Does the light in your kitchen ever get turned off..??? Busy- busy baker,you

That sounds Dee-Lish!

Question (and explanation of it): Over the years of LC'ing..it seems my taste buds have become acutely sensitive/aware of things like Salt, Sweeteners, Baking Powder and B Soda..so I guess what I'm asking..Why so much baking soda and powder..??..any aftertaste? LOL, you know how I am about dumping Vanilla in baked stuff to kill the "off" tastes..

Thanks so much for all your Help and Ideas!

Shawnee
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shawnee - I increased the baking powder and soda from the original recipe because there is a note on my Carbalose canister from the package that says bake at 25 degrees lower temp for longer time and increase any yeast or leavening ingredient.

I didn't notice an aftertaste per se, but there was a slight salty taste which I think will be eliminated by just leaving out the salt next time and keeping everything else the same.

Give them a try with any of your tweaks and let us know what you think!
Old 10-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
THANKS for the Info, Tweak!

And SORRY I called ya Sug :blush: ...LOL, you and SugarBabi are making some great posts, and I switch back and forth to keep up with them (good reading!)... I become confused... ...(doesn't take much to do that; sometimes I abuse my daily Senility-quotient...)

I've seen Spelt in the bulk bins at Krogers..

Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 10-08-2006 at 05:48 PM..
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:20 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Shawnee, -- I took no offense at being called Sug - she's been posting some great stuff! I know exactly what you mean about getting confused reading these posts back and forth - happens to all of us older gals!

Tweak