Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2006, 06:10 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoSugar View Post
LindaSue: The chocolate is quite good. Much better tasting than Carb/Calorie Countdown.
Doesn't it taste bitter when you add Splenda to it? I shy away from anything with chocolate and Splenda together.

I tried a little of the Almond Breeze yesterday and I like the taste much better than Carb Countdown milk but I've decided that it is a waste to use it in my protein drinks because I can't even tell that it's in there. I like using heavy cream because it gives the drinks a little richness and body. I'll probably just drink the Almond Breeze for snacks mixed with some Da Vinci syrup. I'm not sure what else to do with it because I don't have much need for a milk substitute. I think it was worth trying once but I doubt if I'll buy it again.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2006, 01:42 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gpisabela
Stats: 238/194/normal
WOE: Atkins-like low carb
Start Date: March 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
[COLOR="Red"]Thanks again gpisabela.[/COLOR]
Thanks, you actually made my day! I've never been taken seriously on a forum before :blush:
gpisabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:11 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alison Jean 71
Stats: 159/121/119 5'6" 40yrs
Start Date: January 3, 2004
I have the chocolate and I add choc. Torani's to it and heat it in the microwave. It is the best hot choc. I have had. The choc. Torani's gives it more choc. flavor. It is delish.
Alison Jean 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:34 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 7PAWS
Kevinpa: You mentioned your wife was sensitive to milk products. Does whey protein powder cause any problems for her? Just curious because I'm suspecting sensitivity to dairy as well for some of my problems.
7PAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:39 AM   #35

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7PAWS View Post
Kevinpa: You mentioned your wife was sensitive to milk products. Does whey protein powder cause any problems for her? Just curious because I'm suspecting sensitivity to dairy as well for some of my problems.
Yes it does, she is very sensitive to just about anything derived from milk except cheese. So far the almond breeze has worked well for her.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Freckles
This thread piqued my interest in making almond milk. I used to make it over 20+ years ago. Found this interesting link at Wikipedia about the use of almond milk in the Middle Ages (near the period when I used to make it, lol):

http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec31.htm

Quote:
In the Middle Ages, animal milk was, of course, not refrigerated, and fresh milk did not stay fresh for long. Most cooks simply did not use much milk as the short shelf-life of the product made it a difficult ingredient to depend upon. Many recipe collections of the time advise that cooks should only rely on milk that comes directly from a cow, something not possible at all times, and purchasing milk was a dubious practice, for streetsellers of milk often sold wares that were either spoiled or diluted with water. Milk's use had to be immediate, in cooking or by turning into cheese & butter. It was these difficulties that forced Medieval cooks to look upon milk with great reluctance, and so having milk in the kitchen was usually unheard of.

Rather than animal milk, Medieval cooks turned to something they could depend upon, and that was the milky liquid produced by grinding almonds or walnuts. This liquid, high in natural fats, could be prepared fresh whenever needed in whatever quantities. It also could be made well ahead of time and stored with no danger of degeneration. Because of its high fat content, it, like animal milk, could be churned into butter, and because it was not animal milk, it could be used and consumed during Church designated meatless days.

Almond milk was used extensively in period; all existing cookbooks call for it, and it must have been found in literally every Medieval kitchen. It's the prime ingredient in many, many recipes, and the modern cook recreating Medieval food will have to learn its production in order to prepare the most common of dishes. Fortunately, it's easily made. I prefer the recipe of Terence Scully, as printed in Le Viandier de Taillevent, p. 315:

1 cup ground almonds
2 cups boiling water
Combine almonds and water. Steep for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sieve the mixture to remove coarse grains OR (preferably) blend mixture in electric blender until grains are absorbed. Yield - 2 cups almond milk.
- Scully, Terence. The Art of Cookery in the Middle Ages. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1995.

- Scully, Terence, ed. Le Viandier de Taillevent. An Edition of all Extant Manuscripts. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press, 1988.
Also, According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
Historically, almond milk was also called amygdalate. It was consumed over a region stretching from the Iberian Peninsula to East Asia. In the Middle Ages, almond milk was known in both the Islamic world and Christendom, where its vegetable composition—being a nut that is the seed of a fruit of a plant—made it suitable for consumption during Lent. The Viandier by Taillevent, a 14th century cookbook by the chef to the French kings Charles V and Charles VI, contains a recipe for almond milk. [COLOR="Blue"]Before the influx of Mainland Chinese after the Chinese Civil War, almond milk was more commonplace in Taiwan than soy milk[/COLOR].
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #37
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Very interesting, Freckles.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR="Red"]Yes, Very interesting. Thanks Freckles![/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:19 AM   #39
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I love the Calorie Countdown chocolate so if this is better, I'll try it but it is more expensive. Stores here don't carry it so it'll have to be my next netrition order.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:56 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR="Red"]It's about twice the price of Hood's countdown milk here. I too love the Hoods chocolate. I still buy the Hoods to drink, and to make my yogurt (the white).
I make my own almond milk to use in coffee & some cooking thanks to gpisabela. I had to change the way I made it, as I don't have a magic bullet, and have to make it in my blender. I start off with ground almonds rather than whole.
This works well for me.[/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:25 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tuscanytrace
Stats: 208.8/172.6/113 5'1.5"
WOE: Atkins 1972,VCO, WAPF/whole foods,
Start Date: Oct 15, 06/restart 5/07/ restart 3/08
OOooooo! One of the biggest things I missed in my two years of Atkins (and now will be missing again) is Starbucks Frappacinos! Adding this to crushed ice would just about do it!

Smiles,
Tracey
Tuscanytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:25 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
I made one this afternoon and it was FABULOUS!!
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:55 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alison Jean 71
Stats: 159/121/119 5'6" 40yrs
Start Date: January 3, 2004
For those that have a Henry's market or Wild Oats it is on sale this week for 2/$3
Alison Jean 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Recipe for egg custard using almond milk.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote