Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bassetmom
Dehydrator Chivy Cheese chips

I've been dehydrating some veggies lately and decided to give this "chips" recipe a try. They turned out great & just wanted to share. The recipe is from Nesco:

1 carton cottage cheese (12 ounce) with chives(mine was TJ's plain, added some dried chives)
1 medium ripe tomato, cut in quarters (this gives the chips a nice color, might try the tomato paste in a tube next time)
1 tablespoon onions, chopped (I used onion powder)
1 dash cayenne
1 dash garlic powder

In a blender or food processor, blend cottage cheese, tomato, onion and spices into a smooth liquid.
Pour spoonfuls of mixture (1 1/2 to 2" diameter) onto fruit roll sheets.
Dry at 145║ for 4 to 6 hours, or until rounds curl up on the sides like potato chips.

My notes: I tried to spread mine thin like a potato chip in the first batch, but found that thicker was actually better. Mine didn't "pour" I had to drop spoonfuls & spread. I only have 3 fruit roll trays, so had to do 2 batches. I scooped some sour cream up with one and it didn't break. Even DH really liked these and since they're dehydrated they stay crisp. Here's a pic
[IMG][/IMG]
bassetmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Those look cool. I was wondering if you have to keep them in the fridge and if they are still crispy a few days later?

Great pic--they look just like real chips. Mmmm....
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Oh my gosh, those look AMAZING!!!!

Can you tell me more about your dehydrator? What brand do you have? What else do you use it for?

I have been purchasing these "celery chips", that are just dehydrated slices of celery... nothing more... but they taste good and have a nice crunch to them. I was wanting to be able to make them at home.... but now I think I would like to make your chips even better!!! They look delicious!!

Do you have a rough carb count for them? They sound they they would have a nice balance of protein and fat from the cottage cheese too.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Sugar, I made these yesterday and they're the same crisp texture today, no refrig. needed. I think because we're removing all the moisture they stay perfectly dry & crisp. If these last a few days longer I'll post if they're changed, but I really doubt they will.

Strawberry, the TJ's lowfat cc was 4 carbs per 8 oz. so would be 12 carbs plus about 4 net carbs for the tomato (per Mastercook). I just shook in a little of the onion powder, so not sure on that, I wouldn't imagine it would be much. So roughly 16 net carbs per batch.
I have a Nesco brand, the only reason I first got it was I found it locally. Then I read some reviews that people really liked it too. My model (60) has different temperature setting (fruits, herbs jerky etc.) which is really nice. Also you can expand the original 4 trays to 12-and after making this recipe, I ordered 4 more trays & more fruit roll sheets Also they have "convertable" trays where the mesh come out so if you have larger-taller items (hot peppers) or bigger craft items to dry. The basic trays are about 1 1/2" tall, so that is a nice option.
I'm very pleased with mine (had about 4 years) and is great for jerky too.
I've been really craving fruit lately and was considering maybe trying Sommersizing since you can have some fruit. I thought these chips would be perfect since you could use ff cc, and they don't have to count carbs kathy
Old 09-13-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
Very interesting. I would love to try these! (Need a dehydrator first though!)
Purrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

YUM.... I get hungry every time I see that pic now! LOL

Thank you Kathy!
I will definitely check out the Nesco brand dehydrators. It sounds like yours does everything you need and has lasted a decent amount of time too.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NotoSugar
I have had my Nesco for over 5 years. We make jerky a lot.
NotoSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Oh my gosh, those look AMAZING!!!!

Can you tell me more about your dehydrator? What brand do you have? What else do you use it for?

I have been purchasing these "celery chips", that are just dehydrated slices of celery... nothing more... but they taste good and have a nice crunch to them. I was wanting to be able to make them at home.... but now I think I would like to make your chips even better!!! They look delicious!!

Do you have a rough carb count for them? They sound they they would have a nice balance of protein and fat from the cottage cheese too.
Were your celery chips little or were they like slices from the stalk of the celery? That doesn't make a lot of sense, but what I'm trying to figure out is how they sliced the celery for the chips--did they make them longwise or how, like maybe using a potato peeler?
Were they very thin?

Last edited by SugarBabi; 09-13-2006 at 08:21 PM..
Old 09-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
These look yummy! Cant wait to go get some stuff to try them!

I love my dehydrator! I make cucumber chips seasoned and zucchini chips seasoned. I also dehydrate veggies and flake them in a blender to use for soups and to sprinkle on salads
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:41 PM   #10

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
I've never had veggie chips such as celery, cucumber, or zucchini. What are they like? Do you use them like potato chips in various dips?

/end threadjack
Purrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:38 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
I use them in dips as snacks, yes. I season mine before drying. They are pretty good an you can use a variety of spices on them
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:38 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LauraFL
Stats: 230.2/226.8/170 5'6.5"
WOE: What day is it? *scratches head*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBabi View Post
Were your celery chips little or were they like slices from the stalk of the celery? That doesn't make a lot of sense, but what I'm trying to figure out is how they sliced the celery for the chips--did they make them longwise or how, like maybe using a potato peeler?
Were they very thin?
I was trying to figure out how celery chips could me made too!

Cucumber chips seem easy enough but celery chips? Maybe use your food processor to make a liquid first?

Kathy, your chips look like those expensive gourmet chips they sell at Costco for $7.00 a bag! They look yummy. I only have one roll up sheet for my dehydrator, but I'm thinking you could store the liquid in the fridge for later use if you wanted. I think it'd probably be ok for a few days at least no?
LauraFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:42 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The "celery chips" look like pieces of celery cut thin on a bias, that have then been dehydrated (so they shrink). But they clearly look like a piece of celery... it hasn't been pureed or anything.

The brand is "healthy delites" cripsy delites veggie chips (they have onion, cucumber, celery, apple... )

Here is a pic I found of the brand.

Last edited by Strawberry; 09-14-2006 at 08:43 AM..
Old 09-14-2006, 01:52 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
neat! Those look yummeee!
Sweeteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Hi all, I dehydrated some celery this morning, in fact it's still going as it was slightly chewy. I sliced on the bias & blanched per the instructions in my book. Since celery is I think over 90% water, it shrunk up to about 1/2" x 1/4" pieces. Really cute, but no chip I think the commercial ones must be freeze-dried like the fruits sold at Honeyville maybe? The book I have said once really dry & crisp, she powders it and uses like a spice in soups, sauces etc. Also makes her own celery salt. Never knew you could get an entire bunch of celery into a sandwich zip bag

Laura, I had to do the same thing, dry part then dried the rest the next day. I tasted this mix before I made the chips, and I thought it would also make a good "dip" by itself for other things. Kathy
Old 09-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
I've gotten the different veggie chips last year from the site listed above and on the back of the package - it stated that these were made with a special triple dehydration process.

I too have a dehydrator and nothing I attempted to make (veggie chip wise) ever came out like these. These are actually crunchy like a chip.

The apple chips - you can get these in the stores now. I just bought several boxes at Super Walmart. They're by Nature Valley (General Mills company) and in SWM, they're located right below N'Valley's granola bars. These are just baked apple chips - very crunchy, not pliable like when they're dehydrated. They do list apple juice concentrate in the "less than 2%" at the end of the ingredients. Plain and cinnamon.

The box has 5 (0.5oz) pouches for $2.28. Albertson's also carries these. They're new...

You can go to General Mills site and see them - Nature Valley Fruit Crisps Original Apple & Nature Valley Fruit Crisps Cinnamon Apple
Old 09-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I tried making some in the oven, hahahaha!! I just got bad, really chewy shriveled celery.

I looked online and they have them for sale. It says they are baked, not fried. Hmmm...The ingredients are celery, canola oil, and salt. So they must be baked somehow. I couldn't really tell how they were cut by their picture on the site, but it looks like the stalks are just cut up.

Sorry Strawberry ~ the pic you posted doesn't show up on my pc. Thank you for posting it. (it's probably my firewall)

If you just type in celery chips on google, the site is the first and second listing.

Here is the pic:

Last edited by SugarBabi; 09-14-2006 at 04:18 PM..
Old 09-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, that's what they look like!!
Maybe "chip" is a bad word... they don't look like a potato chip at all.... but I use them as a chip for dips or just eat them straight.

On the bag, they claim they put ONE POUND of veggies into each bag... and I think each bag is only 1 oz or so... so they definitely shrink alot!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:54 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sarahm19
Start Date: Dec 8th, 2004
i really wanna do this!

what are fruit roll trays?

I have a dehydrator, can i just pour it on wax paper and put it in the dehydrator?
sarahm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:38 PM   #20
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahm19 View Post
i really wanna do this!

what are fruit roll trays?

I have a dehydrator, can i just pour it on wax paper and put it in the dehydrator?
It's worth a try. I'm waiting on my dehydrator to come in and it comes with one tray for fruit roll ups. I'm just wondering if they might stick really bad to wax paper though? Maybe glad wrap would work better. Hope someone knows.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Boy, those celery chips look good, nowhere near what mine turned out like.
I'm going to make another batch of the cottage cheese chips, maybe using different seasonings. I'm thinking maybe try parchment paper instead of wax paper or maybe try both and I'll let you know how that works.
In my dehydrator cookbook, she also dehydrates spagetti sauce to take on backpacking trips. I was thinking about dehydrating the Masterpiece LC BBQ sauce and powder it to sprinkle on the "chips" before dehydrating. Used to love the Lays BBQ potato chips
Old 09-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mmmm...
Bassetmom, I have seen powdered BBQ spice mixes in the spice section. KC Masterpiece makes one, I believe. I have one by McCormick.
There is usually some sugar added to the spice mix, but its a tiny amount, when you consider small sprinkle you would get on a chip.

Also, what about just mixing the LC BBQ sauce into the cottage cheese mix itself? (would it work? or be rubbery from the sauce texture? I have no experience with dehydrators ...)

If you can invent a BBQ chip, I will be forever indebted to you!!! Those Lays used to be my fav too!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Strawberry, I did just add in the bbq sauce(3 T.) with the cc and left out the other things, I was thinking why am I going to go to all that work to powder the bbq sauce? I didn't know KC had a powder, thanks for the heads up and I'll check when I go to the store next week.
They've been in the dehydrator for 2 hours so far and some are even dry already. I had DH try one and he thought they have potential, but still needed something. I had probably close to 3/4 c. leftover so added another teaspoon of the sauce & some dashes of Tabasco to it. We'll see how that tastes. Maybe that sprinkle of the bbq powder would do the trick.

sarahm 19, I tried one tray with parchment and it worked ok, sort of a pain when you try to spread into chip shape as the parchment keeps lifting up. The tray with wax paper is not working at all, the chips are completely stuck to it and it wrinkled up pretty bad. I'm not sure if I can even get them off when they completely dry. I would say for this mixture the parchment worked ok & you would be able to reuse it too.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #24
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I was thinking maybe a little onion powder also for the BBQ ones. Just a thought. I can't wait to hear how they turn out.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I'm bumping this thread cause I'm making two trays of these chips this morning. I would have had 4 but the carton fell off the counter. Gee, how does stuff like that happen? I guess that's why I have dogs. lol

Anyway, I put some onion soup mix and some ground up sun dried tomatoes and some dried cilantro in mine. They tasted yummy. I'll post tomorrow if they turn out or not.

Anyone dehydrate anything else besides jerky?

I did dried vanilla pear slices a few weeks back...thy came out good, but next time, i think I'll do the pear halves. The vanilla gave them a nice flavor.

Tip: I did some fruit leather a little while back and I lined the trays with glad wrap. The ones I didn't line, were a disaster.

Last edited by Nigel; 06-30-2012 at 05:26 AM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Nigel, thanks so much for bumping this thread! I can't wait to try the recipe in the first post! Also love the additions to it that you added! Hope yours turn out great!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #27
Deb

Gallery: Deb
One great reason i need a dehydrator

question...

i looked at 2 at walmart..one has 3 trays and one has 5

the 3 tray one looked like a better produce..was black and decks

any suggestions?

are they all the same just different sizes

help.......
thanks
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #28
Deb

Gallery: Deb
bump
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #29
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Gosh, where has this thread been all my life? It makes me want to run to the dark side of cheese!!!! Seriously. This looks TASTY!!!! Can't wait to try it. Oh, I will be trying it.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel 7 View Post
One great reason i need a dehydrator

question...

i looked at 2 at walmart..one has 3 trays and one has 5

the 3 tray one looked like a better produce..was black and decks

any suggestions?

are they all the same just different sizes

help.......
thanks
Well, I can't exactly tell you. Just for a beginner, either of them would work. The more trays you have, the more stuff you can dehydrate at one time. Most dehydrators, you can buy more trays for later if you want.

What I do before deciding on a product is go to amazon and see if I can find it there and read the reviews.

Now, there are dehydrators with different temperature settings, etc. I just have the cheapie kind...I'm not even sure what the brand is, but it works great.

Hopefully, some more experienced dehydrator people will show up and be able to answer your question better.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote