Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
wpi 5000 and carbalose questions

can you substitute wpi 5000 or carbalose for whole wheat flour in a cake recipe?

If so, would you use the same amount of the wpi 5000 or carbalose as you would the whole wheat flour or can you tell me the equivalency?

one more question, if you substitute granular splenda for regular sugar, would 2 Tablespoons of poly d make up for the bulk difference? If not, can you suggest an amount that equals the bulk of 1 cup of sugar please?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 09-11-2006 at 03:07 PM..
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #2

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Sugar, this quote from scott answers your bulk question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Both polyd and isomalt are a 1:1 sub for the texture of sugar. Erythritol is a little bit less- I'm guessing it's about 50% weaker.
Now as far as the flour, I have never used wpi 5000 by itself as a sub, IMO it needs to be used in conjunction with other lc flours to get the texture you need to mimic HC flours. In a similar respect I am finding the more I use Carbalose, taste-wise it needs something to dilute the taste of the fiber in it.

Again, these are just my opinions. Your taste may be different.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thank you Kevin. I tried making half a cake from the nestle's site and I used 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour and 1/2 of chef's lite flour that I added some gluten to (Have never tried baking with chef's lite flour before). Anyway, for half the recipe, it requires 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of sugar. So for the sugar, I put in 1 cup of granular splenda and 2 T. poly d.

Well, the cake isn't as big as it should be and it's a little crunchy ontop. It has the texture of cake, but it tastes flat. That's the best way I can describe it--like it needs something. It baked up okay, the crunchy top doesn't bother me, but the flavor needs some tweaking. Any ideas? I will copy and paste the recipe here. Now, I've never made this cake before, not even the regular way, it just sounded good to me. The amounts after the = sign is what I used(for half a cake).

LC Choc Cake:
Ingredients:
2 bars (4 oz. total) Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Bars broken into pieces = use 2 oz
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine = 1/2 stick
2 cups granulated sugar = 1 cup splenda + 2 T. poly D
2 cups all-purpose flour = 1/2 cup chef's flour w/gluten + 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 cup milk = 1/2 c. half n half
1/2 cup water = 1/4 c
2 large eggs = 1 egg
1 tablespoon lemon juice =1/2 T.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract = 1/2 t.
1 teaspoon baking powder = 1/2 t.
1 teaspoon baking soda = 1/2 t.
1/4 teaspoon salt = 1/8 t.
Directions:
MICROWAVE broken-up bars in uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; STIR. The bars may retain some of their shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted; cool to room temperature.
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
BEAT sugar and butter in large mixer bowl. Add flour, milk, water, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda and salt; beat on low speed until blended. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Beat in melted chocolate. Pour into prepared baking pan(s).
BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 20 minutes; invert onto wire racks to cool
completely before frosting.

I was thinking of trying it again with the wpi 5000 or the carbalose. Maybe the whole wheat flour was the problem?
I also didn't understand why it needed lemon juice in it.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 09-11-2006 at 03:48 PM..
Old 09-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Well, the first one, I deemed inedible. I tried to spike it up with some jam and some s/f pudding frosting, but bleh. So, I tried again, with a few tweaks. This time, visuals.

LC Choc Cake:

Ingredients:
2 bars (4 oz. total) Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Bars broken into pieces = use 2 oz
This time I used hershey's. Last time it was Baker's. Hershey's is way better.
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine = 1/2 stick
2 cups granulated sugar = 1/2 cup splenda + 2 T. poly D + 1/2 c. xylitol
2 cups all-purpose flour = 1/4 c. almond flour + 1/4 wpi 5000 + 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 cup milk = 1/2 c. half n half
1/2 cup water = 1/4 c chocolate davinci syrup
2 large eggs = 2 eggs
1 tablespoon lemon juice = omit
1 teaspoon vanilla extract = 1 t.
1 teaspoon baking powder = 1/2 t.
1 teaspoon baking soda = omit
1/4 teaspoon salt = 1/8 t.
Directions:
MICROWAVE broken-up bars in uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; STIR. The bars may retain some of their shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted; cool to room temperature.
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13 x 9-inch baking pan. (only need 1 pan and used baker's joy and it was a square pan too)
BEAT sugars and butter in large mixer bowl. Add flours, milk, choc davinci, eggs, vanilla extract, baking powder, and salt; beat on low speed until blended. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Beat in melted chocolate. Pour into prepared baking pan(s).
BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 20 minutes; invert onto wire racks to cool
completely before frosting.

I don't know how many carbs, but I would call this lower carb cake instead of low carb cake. Now, I just have to figure out how to replace the whole wheat flour. It tastes like a chocolate cake and looks like one, only a little bit denser and not quite as sweet. But maybe some s/f pudding frosting will do the trick. It tastes pretty good plain to me.

Any suggestions on what to use instead of whole wheat flour?

Last edited by SugarBabi; 09-11-2006 at 06:42 PM..
Old 09-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

One more question. Could I use Erythritol instead of the Xylitol? TIA
Old 09-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #6

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I think my first try would have been 1/2 almond flour and 1/2 wpi 5000.

Then sweeten it with liquid sucralose/erythritol and a combination of 2 T thicken thin not sugar and 2 T polyD

that would make the whole thing about 20 carbs

Last edited by Kevinpa; 09-11-2006 at 06:56 PM..
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks Kevin. I was thinking about half and half on the almond flour and wpi, but wasn't sure. I'm liking the idea of 20 carbs for the whole thing. It makes 9 servings easily and that's enough for a chocolate fix for me.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:27 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
when using carbalose to make a cake, in general, to get the cake consistency and taste appropriate, should I use half carbalose and half WPI or does it depend on the recipe?
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannie
WOE: LC/allergies
Start Date: restarted Oct 4, 03
Hey Sugar! (as in Hi) Would flax work for you in place of the ww flour. The chocolate would cover the flavor. But I think I'd use 1/4 c. flax, 1/4 c. WPI and 1/2 c. almond flour. Anyway just thought I'd throw my idea out to you.
Good luck with what ever way you go.
Deannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deannie View Post
Hey Sugar! (as in Hi) Would flax work for you in place of the ww flour. The chocolate would cover the flavor. But I think I'd use 1/4 c. flax, 1/4 c. WPI and 1/2 c. almond flour. Anyway just thought I'd throw my idea out to you.
Good luck with what ever way you go.
Hey Deannie - great to see you. Sure, flax would work for me. I'm just not real experienced in baking, but I'm desperately trying to learn here. I have added flax to meatloaf and tried a couple of not so great recipes using it, but that's about the extent of my experience using flax. I say it's worth a try and this is a really easy recipe. Thanks for the idea.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy's_Girl View Post
when using carbalose to make a cake, in general, to get the cake consistency and taste appropriate, should I use half carbalose and half WPI or does it depend on the recipe?
I'm going to add to your question, cuz I'd like to know also. And does carbalose have gluten in it or is it like non-gluten flour? I have some, but really haven't used it in anything.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
When I want to roughly match whole wheat flour, I combine carbalose or carbquik with wheat bran at about a three to one ratio. The other component of whole wheat flour is wheat germ, but it's only about five percent of the wheatberry, so I figure it doesn't make a lot of difference. I measure the bran by weight; the finished combo probably weighs less (is less dense) than whole wheat flour. Wheat bran is so low in digestible carbs that you don't really need to bother to adjust carb counts (as against using all carbalose). If you DID want to add five% wheat germ (also quite low carb), you would essentially HAVE (re-constituted) whole wheat flour, not a substitute. But I've made low carb bran beer bread with the carbalose and bran combo and it tastes like whole wheat bread. [For a different texture in some things, you can finely grind the bran first in a coffee grinder.]

Carbalose does have the gluten in it.

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 09-13-2006 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #13
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thank you CreekWatcher.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:58 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennywren
Hi Creekwatcher...any chance that you'd post the recipe for that Beer Bread you mentioned? Sounds like it might be really good...

Jenn
Jennywren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:01 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: THELOU
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 1998
Hi all,

Can you tell me the texture of this cake made with 1/2 wpi and 1/2 Carbalose. Everything I make with any amount of WPI with the exception of the Sherrilee bread it turns out pithy. I have a truck load of it and if some of you have good recipes for sweets or bread that can use it up that is not tough I'd appreciate it. I have the TrishZ wpi frozen. DH wants the freezer space of other things.

Thanks
THELOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennywren View Post
Hi Creekwatcher...any chance that you'd post the recipe for that Beer Bread you mentioned? Sounds like it might be really good...

Jenn
I will, Jennywren, but I'd better make it once more first. I have a bad habit of either not writing recipes down or losing them; the last time, I wrote down the amounts used, but the bread came out a little dry.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote