Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennywren
Tasty Lowcarb-Bread Tweak

I've been making what seems to me is yummy bread, which I think is pretty lo-carb. I found the original recipe here on this website I believe, a little while ago ...it was called "Yummy Pancakes" by CarolynF. By the way, CarolynF...THANK YOU!! You've made my tummy very happy, many times since then!

There'd been alot of talk about bowl muffins around that time, so one day when I mixed it to make pancakes and then ran out of time to make them, I decided to nuke in my micro instead...and found that it made delicious bread! I've tweaked the recipe a little since then, to add some flaxmeal cuz I like to include it in my diet--and it improved the flavor--adds a "nutty" taste IMHO, so I add it to either pancakes or bread, whichever I'm making. It only takes a few minutes to make, start to finish. And I try to keep a couple slices in the fridge at all times, so if I want a sandwich they're all ready. Or to take along if I'm gonna to be out, getting a burger or something--just slip it into my own yummy bread!

So, here's the original recipe, and then my tweaked version.

Yummy Pancakes CarolynF
Combine in a bowl:
1/3 c. Carbquik
2 tsp. Splenda
2/3 tsp. baking powder
tiny pinch salt

In a small bowl, beat 1 egg
add 2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp melted butter
Blend together. Mix in dry ingred.
If the mixture is too stiff, add a tch of cream.
Recipe makes 2-3 pancakes.

And just let me add in here that they really ARE delicious. I love them with sugar free cherry preserves.

My tweaked version is:
Combine in bowl:
1/3 c. carbquik

2 Tbsp. dk flaxmeal (golden makes it look just like white bread...I rather like the dark, as it looks kinda like Hillbilly bread or one of those multi-grain types)

about half a packet Spenda (I use more if pancakes, but not if it's bread)

tiny pinch of salt

In small bowl, beat one egg

add 2 Tbsp water

1 Tbsp. oil (I usually use extra virgin olive oil--no taste that I can notice)

Blend in dry ingredients and mix well. (If it is too dry, then I add just a tch of cream, and a few more drops of water. Seems to make it a little dryer if I use mainly water to make it...I like the moisture, but not having it too sticky)

I usually mix the wet and dry together, in a cylindrical plastic container (about 2 cup) that is for use in the microwave, or storage in fridge...says Tucker on the bottom. Then I scrape down the sides and nuke on high for 2 min., until it springs back when touched lightly, with a fingertip. I like to make it round so it works like an English muffin, for a McMuffin egg sandwich, or just buttered with sf jelly.

I turn it out upside down onto a lunch plate, and let it cool. Then, slice horizontally into 3-5 slices about the thickness that commercial bread is sliced...3/8" or so.

I've used it just like that, to make sandwiches and burgers that you can pick up to eat, and I just recently tried it toasted, for a BLT--was great! I do prefer doing that in a hot skillet--sort of like grilling it--browning one side at a time just till browned to your liking. It gets really crunchy that way. Needs no butter or spray in skillet...enough fat from flaxmeal-? (that's my guess)

When I decided to see whether I could make a toasted cheese sandwich--it worked wonderfully!! I used a couple slices of Velveeta (I know ..that's all I had) between them, and grilled till brown...the cheese got all melty...it was WAY yummy! I had not had a toasted cheese sammy in almost 4 yrs, since I've been LC'ing!!

This recipe has been so helpful to me that I thought I ought to share it, even though it isn't my original--sorry if it is repeating something everyone else here knows already. I hadn't seen it mentioned before quite in this way, AND it has made such a difference in my being able to have BREAD. It's a fine textured, not-quite yeast-bread consistency, and there's no CQ taste that I can discern...but I have added a little garlic or onion powder at times when I wanted it more savory. So if you are sensitive to the taste of CQ, that might help.

Hoping someone might like it as much as I do...

Jenn
Jennywren is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Jenn..

Wow..this sounds great.. I'm going to give this a "go"..and do the English
muffin thing..

I think I'll use a 2 cup measuring cup for my baking pan of choice..cuz it's round and think it will work fine..

Thanks again for being so creative..and especially for sharing with us.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I hope you like it Carolyn...and Thanks again for that great Pancake recipe!
Old 09-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
This sounds interesting. Does the flax help get rid of the carbquik taste?

I like flax, just not real fond of carbquik.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I'm not sure that I'm the one to answer...I really don't find CQ objectionable particularly. But it does add a nice flavor...kind of like a multi-grain, perhaps.

By the way....I forgot to mention above that if I'm planning to eat a couple slices warm, with butter and sf jelly, I have added cinnamon and/or nutmeg along with the full pkt of sweetener...maybe that would help with the taste?

Last edited by Jennywren; 09-10-2006 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: Afterthought
Old 09-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Afterthought: Forgot to mention above that when I'm planning to eat a couple slices warm with butter and sf jelly, I sometimes add cinnamon and/or nutmeg along with the full pkt of Splenda. Might that help with the CQ taste?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thank you. I'll give it a try and spike it with some cinnamon.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
I love to use CQ as an ingredient, but find it has a slight "off" taste and is a tad salty...

so in almost any recipe using CQ, I add in a little Vanilla..or sub out part of the water or cream with Vanilla DaVinci..and reduce or eliminate the salt amount called for....works for me

Shawnee
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Good idea Shawnee. I'll try adding the vanilla, since I love vanilla anyway.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #10

Hi..

I made this this morning..didn't use any salt..and made 4 English muffin rounds..
I only ate one with an egg..It was fabulous..I used the light flaxmeal..and honestly..when you toast it, you are truly thinking English muffin..CQ taste wasn't that noticeable...but will try using vanilla/cinnamon next time..

Thanks again, Jenn..

AND..this would make delicious French toast bread..
Old 09-11-2006, 08:09 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/130
WOE: Low carb & actos
Start Date: 3/05
Could you do this in the muffin top pans in the oven? If so, any suggestions on the temp of the oven. Thanks!
Sassay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kabuto
I made the Yummy Pancakes this weekend. I actually doubled the amounts. I made one pancake like above and then the rest with two drops of vanilla in the mix (2 since I doubled everything). The ones with vanilla were much better and it took away the CQ taste.
Kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Sassay: I've never baked them in muffin-top pans, altho it might work. I expect they won't make "rounded" muffin-tops like some recipes do...this seems to rise evenly all across the top...with a completely level top. At least in the microwave.

I've always thought that 325°-350° is kind of a regular temp for most baking, so guess I'd try it about there...and watch closely, as I have no idea about how much time. But they're kinda shallow little wells, so the batter isn't very thick. This doesn't brown at all in the micro, of course, and I don't know if they'll brown up in the oven--but they might be inclined to burn easily. Let us know how it works out if you do them this way. I've thought of doing the batter as mini-muffins; had hoped to find a little mini-pan for the micro...but haven't found one as yet.

Jenn
Old 09-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phaedra
Stats: 248/171/160
WOE: WW
Start Date: January 2005
Jenn,
Thank you SO much.This bread tastes wonderfull.You and Carolyn have come up with a winner!!!
Phaedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Jenn, Carolyn or anyone else -- any idea what the carb count would be for this? It shouldn't be very much I wouldn't think.

Thanks for the recipe Jenn and Carolyn. I'm going to try it as French Toast soon.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gosh...sorry Carolyn...I missed your post when I stopped in here earlier. I'm really tickled that you liked this as "English Muffins"...specially as how it's YOUR recipe!! lol Actually, I've been kind of amazed at the difference in the end result, just from changing up the cooking methods. And yes, I forgot to mention that I've tried it for French Toast...LOVED it! This is one of the most versatile recipes I've used, actually. The thing that I like most about it, is the fact that it's quite alot drier than the end result of most of the other "LC bread" I've tried. It really seems more "bread-y" to me.

And I should mention, if you try it and it isn't dry enough--if it seems too sticky and moist--it can be nuked just half a minute more, and will be drier and better textured. My friend found that her microwave oven varied enough from mine that she needed to bake a tad longer to get the texture just right.

Tweaker: I've never figured it out by the exact counts. I hope someone can and will, who does that figuring more often than I do...so it will be turn out to be acurately done!! lol I just always figured it's real low...

Jenn

Last edited by Jennywren; 09-11-2006 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: wanted to have said nuked instead of "baked"
Old 09-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #17

Thanks, Jenn..when you toast this bread, it actually acts like toast and crisps
up..which is a minor miracle for LC bread...Love it!!

OK: I ballparked the carbs..The CQ has 7-5(fiber) for 2 carbs..The flaxmeal is
total fiber for 0, the egg has 1, and the Splenda might have 1..So..
for 4 pieces of "bread", you have 4 net carbs..one carb apiece..NOT BAD AT ALL...
Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love this basic recipe, THANKS to all Y'all who've played with it...

Of course I tweaked, cause that's the LC Recipe Game...

and found out, quite by accident, this bread makes fantastic CROUTONS too!
I had split one..then EVOO'd, plus Garlic & Onion-seasonings, then under the Broiler..well, I at least remembered to turn Off the broiler, but forgot about them til after Dinner was over...LOL, they had really crisped up, so I cubed them:..Major Yum croutons.

I kinda expanded and tweaked the origional recipe...Nuked these three in 4" round Ziplock containers..(made Six servings..)
Had I known they were gonna "poof-up" so much, I'd have used an additional container...

Oh, yeah..here's my Tweaks; should actually make EIGHT servings, after splitting..(left out the Cinnamon, and not too sweet...so I could go Savory or Sweet after Nuking)

Combine in bowl:
2/3 c. CQ
4 TBLS Flaxmeal
4 TBLS Oatmeal, ground
2 TBLS V W Gluten
1 packet Spenda
1/2 tsp each: Baking powder and Baking soda

In small bowl, beat two eggs

Add in 2 TBLS water plus 2 TBLS Cream
1 TBLS sf DaVinci Caramel
1/4 cup plain Yogurt
3 TBLS EVOO
1 tsp Vanilla

Blend all DRY together, Blend all WET together..
Blend DRY into WET
evenly divide Batter into 4 Nuker-proof containers..nuke on HIGH for approx 2 min.

Gotta love a Recipe that offers various possibilities, THANKS !

Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 09-11-2006 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: I goofed up on # of servings, had to fix it
Old 09-11-2006, 11:48 PM   #19
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

They look good, Shawnee. I never thought of using the ziploc cups for nukking--great idea!!
Old 09-12-2006, 05:00 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/130
WOE: Low carb & actos
They look wonderful...I will try it in my muffin-top pan this weekend, hopefully, and will post results.
Sassay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #21
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Maggy
Stats: 158/123/125 height 5'5
WOE: Atkins
Do you toast in right in the toaster....or in the oven? And do they hold together well for French Toast? I can't wait to try this...Thank you!
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Maggy

can't answer about the French Toast, but YES on the regular Toaster question, re my tweaked version from above post......

here's some fresh from the toaster, not buttered yet.

Think I'll nuke some in 5" square containers next time, to be more "bread"-shaped.

Shawnee

Old 09-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Wow! Shawnee! I've been lurking around this site for a long time, so I know that you're one of the master bakers here! I'm happy that you liked the bread; it's a great compliment...thank you. And your tweaked muffins look wonderful...will have to try that soon. And CROUTONS yet!! I hadn't even considered that...but will from now on, you can bet!

Yup, Carolyn...that count looks good.. .. thanks for figuring it out.
I'm sure glad it turned out so low in carbs, after I'd been thinking it was all this time--gosh, don't think I'd have been able to give it up, even if it was 2-3X higher! I've really come to depend on having this on my WOE!

Maggy: I was a little bit careful after dipping into the egg-mixt for that reason--I have a very broad spatula that I used to lift it out and over to the skillet, just for fear that it might tear. But it worked fine that way. I haven't made it in a while--can't remember now just how thin my slices were. You could always slice it into 3 so as to have just a little thicker slice. I'm sure that might help too. I hope you like it--I always have to add nutmeg to the egg batter...a thing that my Mom did when I was growing up.

I'm sure glad you guys are liking this so much ...I know I sure do.

Jenn
Old 09-12-2006, 05:46 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I made this today and I have to say it's a really good bread sub. Especially as toast - all the other lc bread things never seem to toast up but this does wonderfully! I made mine in a 2-cup Pryex measuring cup and cut into 4 slices. I toasted the small piece (from the bottom of the measuring cup) and put some butter on it, yumm!

Carolyn, thanks for figuring the carbs. One per slice is great!

Jenn, do you eat this every day? I would love to have toast with my eggs, I usually just have eggs OR a lc muffin but never eggs and a muffin. I try to keep the majority of my daily carbs for dinner. Seems like at 1 carb per slice it shouldn't stall us, right?

Shawnee, as usual your pictures are great. The piece I tried today looked just like yours - I was so thrilled as I was watching it toast -- I did it in my toaster oven. Oh the things that make a low carber happy -- watching toast toast!!

I have been telling myself often that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:20 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
ooo, these look better than those muffins I used to pay big bucks for.
Great pics and recipe! thanks, all
Sweeteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:18 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

gotta say...these make fine bread slices "as is", without toasting...But WOW!...the simple act of toasting these li'l darlings somehow transforms them into ..well...culinary LC masterpieces

LOL, Tweaker..loved this: (so true)
Oh the things that make a low carber happy -- watching toast toast!!

Jenn, you sweetie, you

THANKS to ALL Y'all for your ideas, tweaks, compliments, inspirations...YOU inspire me.

Oh, BTW...my DH thought the "accidental Crouton invention" was one of my better efforts; he was poppin' 'em down his Pie-hole like M & M's..

Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 09-12-2006 at 09:19 PM..
Old 09-12-2006, 11:15 PM   #27

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I have been watching this thread thinking........Nah!!!
This is just another one of those microwave spounge breads.

After seeing shawneesioux's picture i thought Hmmmmmmm.
So I had to try it.

This was as close to the ingedients of her recipe as I had....But WOW!!

Combine in bowl:
2/3 c. CQ
4 TBLS almond flour
2 TBLS Oatmeal, ground
2 TBLS Wheat Bran
2 TBLS Wheat Protein Isolate 5000
1/2 tsp each: Baking powder and Baking soda

In small bowl, beat two eggs

Add in 2 TBLS water plus 2 TBLS half n half
1 TBLS sf DaVinci Caramel
1/4 cup sour cream
3 TBLS EVOO
1 tsp Vanilla
1 drop sweetzfree

Blend all DRY together, Blend all WET together..
Blend DRY into WET

I tried the batter in a bunch of sizes but the one I likes the best was 1/4 cup batter in a small glass pyrex dessert dish.

They turned out the size of english muffins

THANKS Ladies.....you made a believer out of me!!

Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:01 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I too made these yesterday, I used Carolyns tweaked recipe and doubled it. I made the first batch in the microwave in custard cups and the 2nd batch I baked to see if there was much difference. Well the baked ones were a little drier around the sides but after slicing they seemed about the same. Oh, with the 2nd batch I added garlic powder and italian seasonings,, yum and dipped in some evoo after toasting and I thought I was at the macaroni grill eating.. I had to put in all in the freezer or I might have toasted and dipped all night.Thanks for this recipe, and it is so EASY!! Thats the best part.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:11 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pam in TX
Stats: 292/212/???
WOE: LowCarb
Start Date: June 21, 2004
Gotta try this........ Thanks for the ideas.........
Pam in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:54 AM   #30

Kevin...We KNEW we'd see you in here.. Thanks for another great recipe and experimenting with the sizes and shapes..