Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 11:16 PM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
Hi all you Multi-Tasking Tweakers!

Thanks for all the tips and ideas you keep coming up with.

Billie..YUM, YUM! great pic!

Jenny..yeah, Char's super German Choc icing is on my post about Pound Cakes..YUM-O stuff!
CQ / PolyD Lemon Pound Bundt Cake

I missed out on the cute silicone pans ..according to the Manager, they flew out the door..BUT they may get more..(fingers crossed!)

Ya know how we have to come up with subs, and eventually learn to love them better than the origionals ? Well..to replace the Raisins in Bread Pudding, (yeah, I know..I loved them too..)..there's dried, unsweetened Cranberries...or Coconut..Pecans..little cubed bits of apple....sf Choc chips..Lemon zest...Plus add in various flavorings, like sf DaVinici syrups, or Crystal Lite ...Top with Whiskey Sauce.. (another one of those recipes that is only limited by one's imagination..like the Nuker Breads!)

Shawnee
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2006, 07:24 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennywren
Hey thanks for the input, Shawnee...I already did a little experimenting this morning, (tried this flavor with pancakes--to get a notion if it might be good in bread-pudding). Flavored with a little nutmeg, cinn, and hazelnut syrup for part of the water. With butter, syrup, and some chopped walnuts sprinkled on top....they were very good. I think your idea about some fine-chopped apple would fit right in here!...methinks there could be Maple Apple bread pudding for dinner tonight!

Sorry to hear they were out of the pans...it wouldn't be very hard for me to get hold of some--my daughter is stopping there this evening, as a matter of fact. I could send some to ya. Let me know...I can tell her to get more on the cell phone--if you see this in time.

And Sugar...You will LOVE this chocolate-orange combination! It was good warm, but I couldn't finish mine last night, so I tasted it this morn...WOW! The flavor is RIGHT ON! I'm sure you can use some powder from a tub as well...I can't say just exactly how much I used...tweaker zone, y'know...but I'd say 1/4 tsp to start, and taste it to see. I wanted it to be pronounced, so I might have used more--or less--than you would, anyway. I've always loved chocolates with orange cream or jell in them...it's that taste!! The recipe made 2 of the little baby bundts--they're SO cute. And I can see it served in a pretty stemmed glass, with whipped cream ltly flavored with orange, with orange zest shaved chocolate sprinkled on...hmm, could be my new favorite flavor!! I like to do things like that when I serve them--everyone thinks I worked hard--splash a little flour (can't waste my CQ--lol) on my face before I leave the kitchen, and tell them "yes, I did it all for you!" teehee

Lovin' this tweakin' thing...
Jenn
Jennywren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:41 AM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Thank you for reposting the picture Billie!

Jenny, I just made the chocolate dessert- orange version (it's cooling as we speak!). Oh my! I too love chocolate and orange. I subbed DaVinci Almond Syrup, put in a whole package of orange sugar-free Kool-Aid Mix and a teaspoon of orange extract. Good Lord - I tasted the batter and it is wonderful! Oh, I doubled the recipe and nuked it in my brand new square 8x8x2 silicone pan! Wonderful recipe to christen it with! I will try the soy grits version soon, but I just couldn't resist this dessert recipe. I'm bringing the cream cheese to room temp now and I'm planning to add some Kool-Aid mix and orange extract to that too; can't wait for dessert tonight! I know DH will try this and he'll love it, I may just not tell him it's low carb since he didn't see me make it.

By the way, I bought the pan with the idea of quadrupling the basic bread recipe and cutting into four sections and cutting each section in 3-4 slices so that it would actually look more like a slice of bread. What do you think? Have you tried any more than doubling the ingredients at any one time? The "cake" is mighty thin so I know I'll need to more than double it for bread. It's thin, but actually too thick to cut into just 4 slices for the whole thing but too thin to cut each piece in two. Such a dilemma!

Shawnee - I can't find the mini nuker pans at our $Tree either. Probably just as well, I'm running out of room for all my cute, just have to have, pans and cooking stuff! DH said today I should clean out what I don't use and get rid of it, but just cause I don't use it every day certainly doesn't mean I want to get rid of anything! LOL

OK it's cooled; I just cut a little sliver off and tasted, it's good! I'm already thinking next time maybe adding some sugar-free chocolate chips - yum!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 10-07-2006 at 11:47 AM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennywren
Hi Tweak...glad you're enjoying the choc-orange. I sure liked it.

For your thinner cake, you might divide the pan into two halves, and stack them--using the cream cheese as a thick filling between...then cut 4-6 squar-ish servings...it'll look even more like reg higher carb cake! He'll never know!

I made a triple-batch of the choc cake recipe, and baked it in a 9" tart pan; served it out in wedges w/whipped cream and a few fresh raspberries as a garnish to some company awhile back. Kind of fun...she thought I must have given up LC..."eating this rich dessert." When I said that it was LC, she was pretty amazed that we could eat this well...asked a whole bunch of questions. I just LOVE to amaze the "doubters"....

But that worked just fine to triple, and I can't see why it wouldn't be fine with the bread.

This is almost toooooo much fun!
Jenn
Jennywren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
awww, Jenn Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it ..but I'm kinda in Tweaker's boat..realistically I'm inundated with my "gotta have" waaay too many cute gadgets..several kinds of silicone nuker/oven pans, plus lots of the old-fashioned Nuker cupcake and bundt pans, etc..my cupboards runneth over already I gotta practice self-control, somehow..stop feeding the gotta-have kitchen gadget addiction...or buy a bigger house!

The Cornbread Thread by razberry is going strong !! I made a version of Scott's, as did SugarBabi (with great pics!) ..I'm liking it, but I need to tweak more for personal tastes..so anyhoo, I'll use some of it to make turkey/creamcheese/cranberry RollUps..(have frozen cranberries waiting to be called into action..)

..and the Orange-Choc cake here is calling too (calling?...its screaming my name!)

Shawnee
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:31 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/1/2003
Buffy, I am in with your version. They are done. I made first batch just like your recipe except did not have sunflower kernals so I left those out. I used 1/3 cup ground hazelnuts instead of the additional coarse ground almonds because I had the hazelnuts already ground and I am basically very lazy. I had one slice toasted with butter and SF jelly. OMG - great!

I made another batch same recipe as above except I added about 1/3 cup caraway seeds and subbed EVOO for the coconut oil. Have not tasted that yet, but it sure smells good, like a light rye. I am anxiously waiting to try that with tuna fish salad.

I am somewhat slicing challenged, my slices are real thin on one side and thick on other. I am on my way to the store now to buy a bagel slicer thingy 'cause I will be making lots of these and I think that might just do the trick.

Thank you for tweaking this one.
"How does one become a butterfly?...You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."Trina Paulus

"Courage is fear that has said its prayers."
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #187
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Marbel
Stats: 160/getting there/120 5'2"
WOE: Atkins (taking the scenic route)
I wanted to share how my stuffing turned out for our Thanksgiving dinner. In a word ... terrific! Thank you all for sharing your results!!

I used the following recipe for the bread - a combination of recipes provided in this thread.

2/3 cup CQ
4 Tbsp flaxmeal
4 Tbsp almond flour
3 Tbsp oat flour (ground oats)
2 Tbsp VWG
1 pkt splenda
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp water
4 Tbsp cream (I used 10%)
3 Tbsp evoo

Blend dry. Blend wet. Blend dry and wet together. Nuke in ziploc containers 2mins each, let cool, cut into cubes, toast lightly in oven.

Then I used LindaSue's stuffing recipe found here http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/carb..._stuffing.html . I like stuffing a little more moist so I was generous with the broth and drippings. It was delicious!

Before:

After:

Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo?

Last edited by Marbel; 10-09-2006 at 12:36 PM..
Marbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sueo
Stats: 305 / 206 / 170
WOE: WLS & EFGT
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I just found this thread and haven't read the whle thing. Forgive me if I'm asking something already asked.

Your photo of the stuffing looks wonderful. I'm hungry, it is close to dinner time. Can you actually stuff a turkey with this?[/COLOR]
sueo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #189
Blabbermouth!!!

Hmm, I don't stuff my turkey so I wouldn't know. Hopefully some one who does know will reply.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Wow. Where to start, where to start?

You know... the best thing about silicone pans... they "scrunch up" REALLY well in a drawer! That was one of the selling points when they had the informercials for the French silicone pans a few years ago (before silicone took off... oh, how I wanted them! Waaaaaay more than a dollar back then, and couldn't find it anywhere but on TV or the internet!).
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Jeanne - I make a lot of the bread with caraway seeds - you will absolutely love it with tuna!

Marbel - how may containers did you use for that amount of ingredients? Do you think it would all work in an 8x8x2 silicone pan? May have to adjust the time for that, I'd think.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #192
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Marbel ~ Your pictures look great.

sueo ~ I don't see why you couldn't stuff a turkey with it. I don't stuff my turkeys, but it's basically the same type of stuffing as high carb, we just revised a few ingredients, but still, it's pretty much like the high carb stuff.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #193
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Marbel - how may containers did you use for that amount of ingredients? Do you think it would all work in an 8x8x2 silicone pan? May have to adjust the time for that, I'd think.
I used 3 containers (approx 5-inch square) and made 3 thick pieces of bread, which I cubed. I could have easily sliced them in half and cubed the thinner slices. In retrospect that might have been better. Smaller cubes. Or I could have used 4 containers and made thinner bread.

No clue about the silicone pan. I don't own any (yet). Give it a try and let us know!

Thanks SugarBabi!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
Start Date: 5/1/2003
I had the caraway version for lunch w/tuna. Wonderful. The recipe I used was basically the same one that Marbel used for her stuffing which is the one that Buffy tweaked. Quantities were the same. I used 5, 1.75 cup ziploc containers (round) and when cut in half each slice is a little thicker than a slice of store bought bread.
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR="Red"]Here is my tweak on Buffy's Nutty Whole Wheat bread:[/COLOR]
Nutty Whole Wheat Bread - Billie’s

Dry
1/3 cup Carbalose
1/3 cup Wheat Protein Isolate (5000)
4 T flaxmeal
4 T almond flour
2 T wheat bran
2 T Oat Fiber
1 packet splenda (8 drops 0 carb syrup)
1/2 t baking soda
5/8 t baking pwd
1/3 cup sunflower kernals
1/3 cup ground almonds (coarsely chopped)
1/8 c Sesame seeds

Blend and set aside.

Wet
2 extra large eggs, lightly beaten
3 T water
1 T cream
3 T Almond milk
1 T caramel Davinci syrup
3 T Coconut Oil
1 t vanilla

Blend dry and wet ingredients. I used various sizes & shapes of containers. Nuked on high for 3 minutes.

(Tweaked version of bread Originally Posted by Buffy45 )

Tasty Lowcarb-Bread Tweak

Billie’s notes: In this batch, I wanted the sunflower seeds chopped a little too, and added them to the almonds as I was chopping them. Opps, too soon. I think most of my sunflower seeds ended up as meal. Next time I’ll wait longer.
I also forgot to add the liquid Splenda. Think it does need it, but it is still good without it.
This was pretty thick dough. I may add more water next time. May find tho, that it doesn’t really need more.

[COLOR="Red"]
I think I will get about 3 slices from each "loaf". The bottom picture is sliced (of course). The 2 on the right are toased, the one on the left has not been.
I get about 5 net carbs each slice (12 slices).

I'm still working on gettin it even lower carb. I may eliminate the first 2 TBS Almond meal, or replace with something. But this may not reduce the carbs significantly. Hmmm, may go to more flax, and leave the almond meal out. ??? [/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 10-11-2006 at 09:15 AM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Once again, wanted to thank Jenny for originally posting her tweak of Carolyn's Pancake recipe (which my family enjoys). It is so great to be able to have a sandwich and to have a recipe that can so quickly be prepared.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #197
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Gosh, I went away for a few days, and you guys have been at it again. Guess I will have to bake tomorrow.
Thanks for the ideas.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #198
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Posted repeatedly

Last edited by Bfranke; 10-11-2006 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Posted repeatedly
Old 10-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #199
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Posted repeatedly

Last edited by Bfranke; 10-11-2006 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Posted repeatedly
Old 03-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ollie
Stats: 184/174/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 01/03/2012
Thanks to all the wonderful bakers here. The recipes really make sticking to low-carb much easier. I am going to try this one today.

Kay
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #201
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
Thank you so much!

I love Carbquik so much I have 10 pounds of it here!

I love making the biscuits (recipe on the bag) and now I HAVE to try this. I feel Carbquik is awesome, to me there is no bad after-taste, and I'm always looking for new recipes.

I love the "bowl" recipes. Can't believe I didn't think of this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I had "English muffins" for breakfast this morning. Thank you, thank you!!!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crink
YUM!!!!!!!!!!!! My mouth is watering................................
Crink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:29 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vonnygirl
Stats: 237.5/181.5/165
WOE: OWL
Start Date: 6/06 with a couple of pauses......
I did finally try this and it is VERY good!! I am always nervous to try recipes because many times I am dissapointed and frustrated to have wasted the ingredients. This on was really good! I made the original version from the first post and toasted the bread, it was truly like eating a whole wheat english muffin! I used liquid splenda so the whole recipe-I got 3 slices, I can't cut thin-was 3 carbs!
I'm thinking eggs benedict!!
Thank you for posting the recipe with pictures, I would never have tried it without seeing how beautiful it looked toasted!
BTW-I haven't tried it not toasted so I can't speak to how it is plain.
Sorry to go on, can you tell I'm excited!!
Vonny

Total of 53 lbs lost!!
"I'm your huckleberry"-Doc Holliday.
vonnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over50Mom
Stats: 160/110/120 5'0"
Start Date: October 19, 2003
I was sooo skeptical but I decided to try these anyway and boy am I ever glad I did. I made the original recipe on page one and they were awesome! They really do taste like bread, and they really do toast up just like an English Muffin. My DH and I stood hovering over the toaster oven watching one as it toasted and we were thrilled by the way it came out, LOL! We put some butter on it and at it up, YUMMY!

I used two 2-cup glass pyrex storage bowls, and they worked perfectly to give me two English Muffin size buns that I could split open. Thanks so much Jenn and Carolyn and all the other Tweakers on this recipe.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #206
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I somehow managed to miss this thread until Over50Mom told me about it today. So, I headed to the kitchen to give them a try. She put in a little baking powder so I did too. Here are my results:

JENNYWREN'S LOW CARB ENGLISH MUFFINS
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon oil
1/3 cup Carbquik
2 tablespoons golden flax meal
1 teaspoon granular Splenda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt

In a small bowl, beat the egg, water and oil with a fork until well blended. Mix the dry ingredients in another small bowl, then whisk in the wet ingredients. If the batter is too dry, add a little cream or water.

Pour the batter into 2 greased microwaveable dishes with straight sides, about 4 1/2" in diameter. Microwave on HIGH 2 minutes or until the muffins spring back when touched lightly. Turn out onto a plate and cool enough to handle them. Slice each muffin in half horizontally. They will be very thin. Toast in a toaster oven until very brown and crispy.

Makes 2-4 servings

Per Half: 93 Calories; 8g Fat; 4g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 4.5g Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs
Per 2 Halves: 187 Calories; 16g Fat; 7g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

I suggest removing the muffins from the baking dishes after the 2 minutes, turning them over and microwaving them another 30-60 seconds to help dry the bottoms. I had a heck of a time getting that wet, spongy side to toast. I haven't tried that yet, but will the next time I make these. These only really taste good when very well toasted and crisp. These are very quick and easy to make. I enjoyed eating one of these, but I don't miss bread enough to go crazy over them.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #207
Senior LCF Member

I invited a friend over yesterday and we toyed with this recipe and made 4 varieties.....

2 of the original recipe....one using [COLOR="DarkOrange"]golden flax seeds [/COLOR]and one with [COLOR="Sienna"]regular flax seeds[/COLOR]. We did omit all sweetener and increase the salt to 1/4 teaspoon for these as we liked it better this way (from past experience). We couldn't really tell any difference flavor-wise between the seeds even though the color is very different.

We did one [COLOR="Magenta"]sweet[/COLOR] adding 1 Tbs. cinnamon Torani syrup & 1 tsp. cinnamon. This is [COLOR="Red"]WONDERFUL[/COLOR] for french toast or a cream cheese spread. Used golden seeds and the bread was a beautiful cinnamon color! I always add cinnamon to my french toast mixture and some cinnamon syrup (decrease the water). The sugar-free honey from Super Wal Mart makes a great syrup or you can add it along with the other SF maple syrups. It becomes quite sweet and tastes like the high-sugar varieties.

Our fourth was a [COLOR="Sienna"]savory one[/COLOR].... no sweetener at all.... 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1 Tablespoon parmasean cheese from the green box. [COLOR="Red"]It is THE BOMB!!! [/COLOR]No carbalose flavor at all and tastes like REAL bread. I couldn't believe it!!!

I think my next try will be another savory one with Italian seasonings and Parmasean to be used for a pizza base..... Oregano, basil, garlic, onion and maybe some sun-dried tomatoes...yum!!!! I may try spreading it out very thinly on a small stoneware pan and see what happens.....

[COLOR="Magenta"]Thanks to you, Jenn for the original post and to all of you 'TWEAKERS" !!!! [/COLOR]What a great addition to the LC lifestyle!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

bump
Crink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #209
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
bump