Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Haven't figured the carb count yet. I'll do that tonight.

As for the caramel sauce, I was thinking of Scott123's recipe with polydextrose. As soon as I try this, I'll post the results.

Such a versatile recipe.

sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #92
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Has anyone tried baking this in a regular oven yet?

Today, I made Kevin's version in a large size round glass pyrex pan (1/2 recipe per pan) and it made nice size hamburger buns. I cut them in half and toasted them. And very tasty. It's so nice to be able to have a real hamburger again. To me, a hamburger just isn't a hamburger w/o the bun.

I was wanting to know about the oven, because if you had a hot dog pan, you could probably make great hot dog buns out of this. I did try making a hot dog bun in a rectangular pan, but I had it too thick and I couldn't really cut in in half cuz it wasn't quite thick enough for that. If it cooks good in the oven, then it would be worth buying a hot dog bun pan.

So if anyone tries it in the oven, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

I had another wild thought: What if you put minced dried onion or onion powder or even fresh minced onion and some dry mustard or regular mustard in the mix...maybe for the hot dog or hamburger bun...Just pondering here...
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:10 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

I think this recipe would go fine with any spices or such as onions that you wanted to add.

I've also been thinking of adding garlic and cheese.

I really need to get my order in for some WPI.

Sheryl
Old 09-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennywren
DISCLAIMER!!!!

Consider this a warning if you're hanging around the Tweaker Zone!

For EVERYONE..but specially for... Sugar: You see? that's how it all starts... you start out "just pondering over there...." per your last post. But soon... you too, may ALSO be uncontrollably visualizing bread batter in strange places...

Last night, as I was straightening the kitchen and thinking about nuking rolls and such,......there on my counter IT SAT...eye-ing me coyly! Just...sitting there...quietly! A perfect bun-size! It would probably need NO trimming at all! It's oven proof, AND microwave proof! It's a perfect size!! It's.....it's.....the cover of my pyrex butter dish!

What led to this delusional behaviour?
A few posts back on p. 3, I mentioned nuking "the recipe" in a Corning Ware Sidekick (didn't remember what it was called at the time) on Sat to use as a bun for my Brat...I did have to trim the side a little, but it WORKED really well... LONG TIME since I'd eaten a Brat w/trimmings in a "bun" from my two hands!
But then...I was haunted...I kept wondering... is there a better way out there... somewhere...hiding... lurking...

So, until we actually do find a hot-dog bun pan...(do they really make such a thing?) I'm probably going to try making "butter-rolls" for my hot-dogs! At least once...just so that darn butter dish quits grinnin' at me!!

Sooo BEWARE..it could happen to you...just thought I ought to warn ya about....the Tweaker Zone!!

teehee
Jenn
Jennywren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #95

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennywren View Post
Sooo BEWARE..it could happen to you...just thought I ought to warn ya about....the Tweaker Zone!!

teehee
Jenn

do do do do do do do do........
(in my best Rod Stiger voice)....You have just entered ...

Last edited by Kevinpa; 09-25-2006 at 06:53 PM..
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:29 PM   #96
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Maggy
Stats: 158/123/125 height 5'5
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/05
Gotta love this place!!!!!!
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #97
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Nothing is sacred in the kitchen of a LCer!!!
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:33 PM   #98
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Oh my, after following the thread with interest, I finally made these tonight. I followed Shawneesioux's version, but substituted almond flour for ground oats. Fabulous! This is the BEST LC bread I have tried. Definitely a keeper. Sliced off a round, put in toaster oven and spread with butter.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:11 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
I keep waiting for the LowCarb Cops to raid this Thread, and bust all of us...for having too much fun eating BREAD !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlynn9 View Post
Think I've hit upon a keeper with this last tweak. Since there are 3 of us eating this (hey, if they want bread they get what I fix, actually, I have DD doing a CAD-type eating plan and her being able to have sandwiches is a major plus), I always triple the recipe. This time I used:

2/3 cup WPI 5000
1/3 cup oat fiber
3 TBL polydextrose (my previous batches were a little crumbly so thought, why not)
3 pinches of salt
6 TBL flax meal
2 TBL erythritol (my sweetener of choice)
3 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
6 TBL water
4 TBL oil (added the extra TBL as I wasn't using Carbquik).

This turned out light and fluffy. Perfect for my taste buds. Haven't tried toasting it yet. Passed DD's taste bud inspection and she wants a sandwich for her school snack tomorrow.

Sheryl

This turned out light and fluffy.

I wanted light and fluffy too...(and just received my Oat Fiber delivered today..)

..so I basically followed your Recipe above, subbing in 1/4 cup WPI 8000 for the PolyD..skipping the flaxmeal....cut the b. powder to 2..

Anyhoo, I got light & fluffy! Took a pic of a piece I tore off, (instead of cutting, thereby risking "squishing" it down)..to expose the interior texture..

Shawnee
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:44 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
DISCLAIMER!!!!

So, until we actually do find a hot-dog bun pan...(do they really make such a thing?) I'm probably going to try making "butter-rolls" for my hot-dogs! At least once...just so that darn butter dish quits grinnin' at me!!

Jenn

This one is a great little pan. Makes 8!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:48 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
Start Date: 5/1/2003
I tried Kevin's version yesterday. Made two batches one just like his recipe (except had no oats so used flax meal) and one without the sweeteners. I baked them in muffin top pans in oven at 350 for about 12 minutes. Each batch made 6. They puffed up nicely and were thick enough that I was able to slice in half (they are pretty think that way - about 1/2 thickness of thick white bread. Anyway they taste great! Had a sweet one toasted with peanut butter. Last night had the plain with hamburger. Yummy and thanks for all the tweaks and ideas.
"How does one become a butterfly?...You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."Trina Paulus

"Courage is fear that has said its prayers."
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:29 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennywren
Hey..Sungoddess, Thanks! It's perfect! I've never known that these even exist! Do you know of a source as well?

And Jeanne...thanks--they sound wonderful. I'm headed to the kitchen right now to bake some of those muffin-tops myself...they must look about like a burger bun. And then if I can get one of these hot-dog bun pans...how cool is that? Love all those kitchen toys.

This is such a great board...lots of helpful folkes here!
Jenn
Jennywren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #103
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Jennywren ~ I just loved reading your post. And it's all so true too. I've got the fever for sure.

I don't even want to admit how crazy I was yesterday searching for a hot dog pan and I found one on Ebay, but it was too big for my oven by about 3", so I emailed the owner and asked if it could be cut down. (Do I sound obsessed?LOL)...well, turns out that wouldn't work due to the way the pan is made. I found a source for the type that Sungoddess posted a picture of, but they are not available. I went to every restaurant supply, bakery supply, auction and other websites I could get google and yahoo to bring up. I found one for about $40 at hubert or hubart, not sure how it's spelled and I was so happy, only to find out it was too big for my oven too. My oven is only 23" and the pans are 25-27". Such a bummer!!

**And I cannot believe that I can find every type of pan in the world, even a whole egg baking pan and not one single hot dog pan for home use.**

So my husband decides to try and help me out. He made a little thing out of aluminum and riveted it together that looks much like the shape of a hot dog bun. Then we got the bright idea (didn't have a baguette pan, but that might work-ding!ding!) to use a piece of corrugated tin. So he cuts me the tin the size of a cookie sheet and I fill it up with batter (in the grooves). I thought I would get sub buns out of it at any rate. Well, I had to try it out. Of course it being metal, I had to use the oven. eenntt!! I used Kevin's recipe verbatim and I guess we can't really cook them in the oven without some tweaks because it fell apart. And it wouldn't make sub buns or hot dog buns because the grooves weren't deep enough. {Dare I ask husband to try and deepen the grooves in the tin?} But it was very tasty, just very crumbly...so now I have the makings for some excellent stuffing...Ding! Ding! The ideas just keep hitting me. Oh, I might mention that I really like Kevin's recipe too. I really like all of them so far.

So today, I took the little metal thing that hubby had made in the hot dog shape, which is really cute, but way too small, but what the heck. I put it on a pan and in the toaster oven and this time I used sherlynn9 's recipe. It baked up okay in the toaster oven (not enough to heat up the house with the big oven), but it was too small and too narrow to fold over, but it turned out pliable. It tastes good too.

Now since I was already tweaked out, I took 1/3 c. of her recipe and added in 1/8 t. of dry mustard, onion pwd, and dry minced onion. Then I added in a Tablespoon of shredded cheddar. I put it in an oblong pan (another hot dog bun hopeful) and nuked it. First, I want to say, her recipe is great just the way it is except (oh, I had to tweak again!) I changed the 6T of water to 3T water and 3T cream for no particular reason & I used oat flour instead of oat fiber cuz I just didn't have any(I'm a tweaker junkie, ya know).

End result...great tasting spicy bread..onion bread...great duplicate in my humble opinion. But hot dog bun, it ain't. It came out too thick, but if I use less batter it's too thin and then if I use more batter(to cut in half), it has to cook longer and seems kinda dry. I got a lot of bread out of this recipe, though.

So I told the husband his invention worked, but it needs to be bigger. I'm keeping my finners crossed here....

Now back to the regular hot dog pans. Notice the depth of the pan from the picture--that is the same depth of every pan I've seen-about 1 1/4". I am not sure that will make a thick enough bun from these recipes to cut in half and use as a hot dog bun. Since our batter doesn't actually get formed first, it forms while cooking, I don't know if this will work the way we want it to. Any opinions/thoughts on this pan?

The perfect invention would be a silicone hot dog bun baking pan. That way you could nuke them in the oven or the microwave. I think the grooves would need to be deeper too, but it's an idea. (Oh yes, I confess, I even went and looked up how to make silicone molds--hahaha!! unfortunately, they were not the kind you could cook in.LOL)

Last edited by SugarBabi; 09-26-2006 at 02:41 PM..
Old 09-26-2006, 03:17 PM   #104
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Another tweak. Banana Bread!
35 g Carbquik
2 T flaxmeal
1/4 c oatmeal
1/8 c vital Wheat Gluten
1/2 T baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1 scoop (28g) whey protein
4 tsp Just Whites
1/4 c FF yogurt
2 T Fat Replacer w/Oatrim
3 T banana DaVinci
1 ripe banana
About 1/4 c water
I mixed this all up in the blender, and put in a small bread pan (7 1/4" X 3 1/4" X 4" high) Baked at 350║ for about 40 min. Took longer than I thought, but it was quite wet to begin with. I will use a smaller pan next time, for a bigger slice.
I cut it into 15 slices....they are small, but very good.
Nutritional info: per slice, 41 calories, 1 g fat, 5.89g carbs, 1.75g fiber, 4.14 Net, 3.75g protein.
I am doing a modified LC, with low fat at this time, so this works well for me.
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:47 PM   #105
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

That sounds yummy, Bfranke. Thank you for this recipe. You know I'll have to make it too, as we love banana bread around my house.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:45 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranke View Post
Another tweak. Banana Bread!
35 g Carbquik
2 T flaxmeal
1/4 c oatmeal
1/8 c vital Wheat Gluten
1/2 T baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1 scoop (28g) whey protein
4 tsp Just Whites
1/4 c FF yogurt
[COLOR="Red"]2 T Fat Replacer w/Oatrim[/COLOR]
3 T banana DaVinci
1 ripe banana
About 1/4 c water
I mixed this all up in the blender, and put in a small bread pan (7 1/4" X 3 1/4" X 4" high) Baked at 350║ for about 40 min. Took longer than I thought, but it was quite wet to begin with. I will use a smaller pan next time, for a bigger slice.
I cut it into 15 slices....they are small, but very good.
Nutritional info: per slice, 41 calories, 1 g fat, 5.89g carbs, 1.75g fiber, 4.14 Net, 3.75g protein.
BFranke, I'm very interested in this product, but can't seem to find anything with this kind of name "out there". If this isn't ZTrim, can you provide a product name (and source)?

Thanks much!

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
SugarBabi - I very recently changed by name to Tweaker Geek (thanks to Shawnee! ) and it sounds like you're even more of a tweaker than I. Actually, anyone who low carbs and cooks for awhile seems to become a tweaker. I often tweak as I'm making a recipe but don't write things down so I don't always remember exactly what I did! I'm trying to do better with that!

When you make stuffing out of this bread, please let us know how it comes out - nothing I've tried yet really comes close to my old bread stuffing. With the holidays not that far away, it's not too soon to experiment with some good old fashioned stuffing!

Happy Tweaking!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #108

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
BFranke, I'm very interested in this product, but can't seem to find anything with this kind of name "out there". If this isn't ZTrim, <------ can you provide a product name (and source)?

Thanks much!

Follow the arrow Jude.......
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:52 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hey..Sungoddess, Thanks! It's perfect! I've never known that these even exist! Do you know of a source as well? Jenn
Yes, Baker's Catalogue. I LOVE that catalogue and find lots of cool pans and items to use.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Follow the arrow Jude.......
Holy Moly!! It's back!?! How cool is that? ............. Dang it! Now you're just teasing me....

" Netrition.com No Longer Carries This Product "

Last edited by theislandgirl; 09-27-2006 at 10:05 AM..
Old 09-27-2006, 11:22 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kaisergirl
Stats: 152~176 (preg)~ 133~192 (preg)~146~130 5'4
WOE: Atkins/low cal
Start Date: Jan. 2003
Today I made the original recipe in the micro w/ caraway seeds. Boy was it yummy. I had tuna on toasted rye and ginger slaw on the side! What a great lunch!

To me the best thing about this bread is its toastablity, no need for tweaking here...
kaisergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlynn9 View Post
Think I've hit upon a keeper with this last tweak. Since there are 3 of us eating this (hey, if they want bread they get what I fix, actually, I have DD doing a CAD-type eating plan and her being able to have sandwiches is a major plus), I always triple the recipe. This time I used:

2/3 cup WPI 5000
1/3 cup oat fiber
3 TBL polydextrose (my previous batches were a little crumbly so thought, why not)
3 pinches of salt
6 TBL flax meal
2 TBL erythritol (my sweetener of choice)
3 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
6 TBL water
4 TBL oil (added the extra TBL as I wasn't using Carbquik).

This turned out light and fluffy. Perfect for my taste buds. Haven't tried toasting it yet. Passed DD's taste bud inspection and she wants a sandwich for her school snack tomorrow.

Sheryl
Okay, finally did the math. For this recipe it comes out to 14.63 total net carbs. Figuring 12 slices that equals 1.22 net carbs per slice.

If I do just the cake-ability (to which I added some vital wheat gluten (think 2TBL), then the total net carbs are 18.72 or 1.56 per slice. WPI is 4 grams net carb per cup while the Cake-ability is 7.4. Definitely need to order more WPI.

Sheryl
Old 09-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #113
Big Yapper!!!!

I want to say again how much I am enjoying this bread. I made Shawneesiouxs version. I did half in glass and half in plastic and can't tell a difference in what I made. The 4 cup ziploc bowls make a nice size. I just love the way it toasts up, put lots of butter on it and it is delish. I am going to add sunflower seeds next time I think to get a more nutty bread.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #114
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Maggy
Stats: 158/123/125 height 5'5
Start Date: 3/05
You guys just may put the big L/C names out of business....You're all awesome!!!!
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
Holy Moly!! It's back!?! How cool is that? ............. Dang it! Now you're just teasing me....

" Netrition.com No Longer Carries This Product "

I buy it from them directly. I like the gel. They ship it very quickly. Do a google.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:52 PM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I buy it from them directly. I like the gel. They ship it very quickly. Do a google.
Thanks, I was considering that (but would generally prefer to have one and only one flat shipping fee)

Oh well.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #117
Big Yapper!!!!

2 questions for you experienced tweakers.
1. Any ideas on how to give this more of a cornbread taste?
2. If I make a version with seeds/nuts, which ones do you think I should add and what seasonings to go with? I also thought of adding some wheat bran to the nut version? Thoughts and ideas appreciated!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kaisergirl
Stats: 152~176 (preg)~ 133~192 (preg)~146~130 5'4
WOE: Atkins/low cal
Start Date: Jan. 2003
Instead of vanilla extract how about butter extract?
kaisergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:13 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
Buffy ..this is gonna be long-winded, so get comfy..

I haven't tried a CornBread variety in the Nuker yet...some time back, I made KCduffer's recipe for conventional oven baking, which contains Corn Bran as one of the ingredients.. ( I replaced 1/4 of the CQ with Almond flour, to achieve more of the texture I wanted.)

Personally, I think I'd probably use a flour combo something like this for the Nuker:

2/3 cup CQ
3 TBLS Corn Bran (IMO, it has a "mild" corn taste)
1/3 cup Almond flour/meal
2 TBLS V W Gluten
1 packet Spenda or equiv
1/2 tsp each: Baking powder and Baking soda

...and adjust the "wet" ingredients as needed to get the right consistancy.
(this is all pure speculation, since I haven't tried it ..but its a place to start on a Tweaking adventure..)

OK, I'll post her origional recipe (maybe you could eyeball it, perhaps try half a recipe in the Nuker..)
..and now my Disclaimer: Not all "conventional oven" recipes work well in a Nuker, there can be liquid ingredient issues... with Nuker baking, you may need to cut back on the liquids, because there's less evaporation than in a regular oven.

(*See the *TIPS* I posted below her Recipe)

Here's KCduffer's recipe and comments:

Cornbread

2 cups Carb quik
6 tablespoons corn bran
1 tablespoon polydextrose
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon liquid splenda
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup carb countdown milk
1/2 cup butter, melted

1. Mix all ingredients.

2. Bake 400 degree for 20 minutes in un-greased 8X8 pan.

Per Serving: 205 Calories; 18g Fat (67.6% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 83mg Cholesterol; 249mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3 Fat.

This was figured with 1 oz Carbquik having 2 net carbs. You can debate whether or not this is right, but that's what I used from the box. Right or not, it's probably pretty close.

*TIPS* I ran across, when converting conventional oven recipes to a Nuker recipes:

For Muffins: add 1 to 2 Tablespoons more shortening for each cup of flour.

For Quick Breads: (such as zucchini breads): chop fruit or nuts very finely. Add 2 Tablespoons more shortening.

For Coffeecakes: add one to two more Tablespoons shortening and reduce baking powder by one quarter.

Foods that are higher in fat, like soymilk or peanut butter, cook faster.
Foods with a higher fat content or higher sugar content heat more quickly. If you substitute low-fat or low-sugar versions, a longer cooking time may be necessary.

If you double a recipe, expect to add 50% more cooking time, and if you halve a recipe expect to subtract 33% from the cooking time.

Less spices and herbs are needed in foods which are cooked in the microwave. Flavors will remain more intense than in foods cooked conventionally. Therefore, reduce the amount called for in conventional recipes by 20-25%.

The least "rich" liquid ingredient (such as water) in a conventional recipe may be reduced by 20-25% when cooking that recipe in the microwave. As there is no dry heat, the extra liquid will not evaporate and is not needed.

LOL, hope this wasn't too confusing...

Good Luck

Shawnee
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:48 AM   #120
Big Yapper!!!!

Just kidding. Thanks for all the pointers and the ideas for the corn bread. I will have to check on the corn bran, don't have that in my cupboard. I like the taste of your version, toasted with lots of butter with anything I have tried it with and think it will be great as is with soups, etc. Was asking about the cornbread version for some friends. I do think I will add some seeds/nuts next time I make it as I love the crunch.

Thanks for taking time to give me those ideas!