Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2006, 06:18 AM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
IMO glass yeilds a much better texture result when making this recipe. I used 2 same size bowls, 1 plastic and 1 glass, the 2 results were quite different.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2006, 09:02 AM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DianeTTT
Stats: 175/168/145
WOE: Atkins
OK... I tried the recipe and it was yummy! But I have a "TWEAK" of my own... and I think it is fabulous! :blush:

Pumpkin Muffin
1/4 cup pumpkin (4.5 carbs, 2.5 Fiber (2 net carbs))
1/3 cup protein powder (I used Vanilla flavored @ 4 carbs)
1 egg (1 carb)
2 packs splenda (1 carbs)
1 tbls baking powder
1 tbls spoon oil
dash of salt
Cinnamon
Nutmeg

Blend dry ingredients separate. Then combined to wet. I used a large, glass measuring cup. Then Scrap down the sides of the glass measuring bowl and microwave. Microwave on high for about 3 minutes (may vary based on microwave). Cook until the top springs back after pushing with your finger. The muffin will expand up and take the shape of the bowl you microwave in… so use something tall but not two wide (a 4 cup Pyrex mixing bowl is perfect)

I slice into 3 round pieces (3 carbs each)

To eat… toasted with butter… OR… I make cream cheese icing (soften cream cheese, splenda and cream) and spread over warm muffin! YUM!

Thanks again for making my breakfast yummy again!!!! I will be on the look out for even more TWEAKS...
DianeTTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
IMO glass yeilds a much better texture result when making this recipe. I used 2 same size bowls, 1 plastic and 1 glass, the 2 results were quite different.
Did you need to panspray or oil the glass bowl? Did it stick at all?

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
Did you need to panspray or oil the glass bowl? Did it stick at all?

No I didn't spray either and neither of them stuck after cooling.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Has anyone made this in muffin top pans and baked in the oven? If so, did you double or triple the recipe? what oven temp? how long did you bake? How much dough in each muffin top, since this rises quite a bit I would think you wouldn't need much - 1/4 - 1/3 cup?

I'm thinking about trying the muffin tops myself and when I do get to it I'll post my results but would appreciate any help from you all. I think the muffin tops would give a better size "muffin" for sandwiches. I did mine in a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup and they are really quite small. Perfect for toast though.

Also, anyone tried that chocolate version on page 2 yet? I really want to try that one!

One last thing, when you do them in a measuring cup, do you find the bottom and top need to be sliced off slightly to get the whole piece even to make 3-4 good slices? Mine looks funny on the bottom and a bit rounded on the top! Can't quite explain what I mean by funny, but it's not round and smooth, like the batter wasn't smooth/flat in the bottom of the cup.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 09-20-2006 at 02:56 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:56 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yaylocarber
Here is my version, which is very basic, but tasty:

1/4 c flaxseed meal
1 t baking powder
1 T melted butter or oil
2 T water (you can substitute DV syrup)
2 T liquid pasteurized egg whites

I use a Corning Ware soup cup, which is the right size to make a round that will work in my toaster. I use the liquid egg whites because it's easier and it tastes less eggy to me.

Melt butter in cup. Add 2 T water to the butter and stir. I then pour the butter/water mixture into a small cereal bowl. Gently whisk in 2 T egg whites. Dump in the flaxmeal and baking powder (I premix the flaxmeal and baking powder on a paper plate first).

Pour the batter back into the cup and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Remove and place on wire rack till cool and can be easily sliced.

I also take granular Splenda and blend it in my Bullet blender and add cinnamon to it to make a lc cinnamon "sugar" powder to use on my flaxbread toast. It goes a long way and very little needs to be used to get the same effect as cinnamon sugar.

I chose to make my flaxbread this way because it is the easiest and lowest carb way for me and I enjoy the plain taste and don't need the nut flour added.

If I want, I can make a grilled cheese sandwich with the bread since I didn't pre-sweeten it. I have doubled this recipe and made it in the same size cup and doubled the nuking time with no problems. I've also used large coffee mugs to make the bread and those work as well. I think you get a more uniformly shaped "loaf" that way.
Yaylocarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RVlady
I left out the splenda and just added a tiny bit of Vanilla DaVinci but the best part was adding 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds. After nuking them, I cooled them, then sliced and toasted. Very yummy.
Connie
RVlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:56 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yaylo - I think I'll try your version also. Must be about as low carb a bread item as there is, I think, and I'm all for that! Thanks for posting your recipe.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Somewhere in the back of my head, this recipe reminded me a little of the "Artisan Bread" posted on Linda Sue's excellent website...

...and while I was thinking about that, I got to thinking about how this recipe would work with changing out ONLY the "bakemix" part (and I left out the Splenda)...

So I did, I did a side-by-side test of this original basic recipe from JennyWren with
Interesting experiment. They all worked, with minor differences in texture, rising, and taste. Though they're actually pretty much the same taste when toasted. Verrrrrry interesting....
Old 09-23-2006, 03:57 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made another batch of this today, doubled the recipe and added some caraway seeds --- yummy rye bread!! I made it in a 3 cup Rubbermaid round container so the slices are bigger, better size for a sandwich, than those made in a 2 cup measuring cup. I got 6 really big slices.

May have to try the pumpkin version. I have 1 cup of pumpkin left after making a cheesecake today and don't know what to do with it. Any ideas you guys?
Old 09-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #71
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
The first time I made this, I used my pyrex dessert bowls. Well, yesterday when I went to Walmart, I found a larger size. So, at 9:30 last night I was baking up another batch, as the first was gone. Don't know how I lived without this bread.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kaisergirl
Stats: 152~176 (preg)~ 133~192 (preg)~146~130 5'4
WOE: Atkins/low cal
Start Date: Jan. 2003
wOW!!! This is good!!!!!!!!1 How do you think they'll freeze??? I'm thinking I will make a whole bunch, slice them and freeze them. Then just pull out of the freezer and toast for breakfast before work this week.

Sooooo good!! I'm going to try the caraway seed next. Thank you!!
kaisergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I made about 3 batches and sliced them up and froze them,, works great, I just take out a slice and toast it up when ever I want a piece.. I put pieces of parchment paper between each slice or they stick together..
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennywren
Wow! Thanks Brendajm...I guess I never thought about freezing the slices..but that would make it easier to always have some on hand.

I agree with you, Bfranke, I don't know what I did without it. Last night, I made it plain by the original recipe, with a couple shakes of onion powder and no sweetener. Nuked it in a small Corning dish (you know the shallow ones that are rectangular?--abt 4x6"--sprayed it lightly just in case) ...and it worked like a hotdog bun!!!--really cool to pick up a Brat with all the trimmings again!! Funny, how simple things matter so much!

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it so much!

Jennywren
Jennywren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
LOL, Jenny ...

Did ya think, when you first posted your Origional recipe..that it would take off like a snowball rolling downhill??

You have done a great service for so many LC'ers...and brought out the Tweaker-genes in so many LC bakers too.

Its ideas like yours, and also the follow-up tweakers, that keep my LC WOE diversified, satisfying...Ah, BREAD... the Staff of Life

To think, all the large Baking Companies pay their Lab Rats ( Recipe Creators/Testers) huge $$$ to figure out the same things that we are happy to "invent" and post here, for the simple joy of sharing and improving our LC recipes...

Thanks to you and ALL Y'all who've contributed.

Shawnee
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Lemon Poppyseed Nummies!!

This morning for breakfast, I was wishing for some kind of a "sweet thing". Following the orig recipe on p. 1, I added extra sweetener, a fair amt. of fresh lemon zest, 1/2 tsp lemon extract, and a few good shakes of poppy seeds... mixed up with just a little less than usual water, and then lastly, about 2 tsp lemon juice just lightly mixed in (immediately starts to work with the baking powder). Then, altho I'd originally intended to nuke it and have it sliced like a quickbread, instead I decided to make into pancakes about 2-3" diameter...it made about 6-7 I think...kind of lost count, cuz I nibbled 1 or 2 to see how the lemon tasted (tough job, but somebody's gotta do it!)

Anyway, I had about 5 of them fanned out on a plate, with whipped cream and a little Walden's Blueberry syrup drizzled over...garnished with a few fresh blueberries! Gotta tell ya! it was like a gorgeous dessert for breakfast! Never woulda thought it was legal, if I hadn't known!

Later, I mixed it up again and nuked it...it was Lemon Poppyseed bread... almost like I used to make pre-LC! Baked it in a rectangular container, sliced in 6 slices. But it would work in the rounds we've been using too...toasted or plain, and spread with cream cheese...oh boy!

Lovin' This Tweakin' Thing!
Jenny
Old 09-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Thankyou Shawnee, for your kind comments, from one of the Head Tweakers around here, IMHO! And to think I almost didn't post it!..kept wondering if it was good enough for this board. Lurked for quite awhile, and I've gotten some fantastic recipes here--yours and others. So, finally thought I'd ought to join up, and "pay back" a little.

Not to forget to give credit to the Yummy Pancake recipe from CarolynF...it was good already when I just happened to run out of time that morning, and decided to nuke it instead of wash it down the drain! Wow! sure glad I didn't!

I'll be interested to hear if you try the Lemon Poppyseed thing I did with it, Shawnee...aren't you a Lemon Fancier? (I remember your Lemon Bundt Cake recipe awhile back...)

My whole day went better because of that great breakfast... absolutely! lol

Jenn

Last edited by Jennywren; 09-24-2006 at 03:54 PM..
Old 09-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #78
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
I like orange flavored cakey stuff. Do you think just orange extract/flavoring would do the trick or should I add orange zest also?

I don't have any orange davinci's, but I do have the flavoring or extract (not sure which it is).

I want to play with this recipe some more this week. I just love it. And I too, thank all the tweakers & recipe makers and posters on this board--it makes this WOE so much more fun.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:45 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Sugar...I'm not sure..you might try a bit more extract if you don't use some fresh zest. I seem to notice that this LC baking takes more flavoring than what might have been enough in the hc baking, for some reason. I was wanting to insure that there would be plenty of lemon with my pancakes, so I used the lemon juice because of that. I might have used Lemon sf syrup, but haven't ordered it--read comments somewhere that people didn't really care for it, so don't know.

But this morning, I'd almost thought to use a little Lemon sf jello--I've seen that used to up the flavor, in some recipes. Maybe a little sprinkle of orange jello...if you have it. OR if you happen to have the Crystal Lite Orange Juice variety...I forget what they call it...now THAT's a pretty strong orange flavor. It oughtn't to take very much of that, to help out your extract.

And even if it doesn't come out quite strong enough, you can add a little orange flavoring to some cream cheese to spread on top, and that helps too.

Let us know...that sounds good, I like orange too..ohmigosh, so many tweaks, so little time...LOL.
Jenn

Last edited by Jennywren; 09-24-2006 at 04:57 PM..
Old 09-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Think I've hit upon a keeper with this last tweak. Since there are 3 of us eating this (hey, if they want bread they get what I fix, actually, I have DD doing a CAD-type eating plan and her being able to have sandwiches is a major plus), I always triple the recipe. This time I used:

2/3 cup WPI 5000
1/3 cup oat fiber
3 TBL polydextrose (my previous batches were a little crumbly so thought, why not)
3 pinches of salt
6 TBL flax meal
2 TBL erythritol (my sweetener of choice)
3 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
6 TBL water
4 TBL oil (added the extra TBL as I wasn't using Carbquik).

This turned out light and fluffy. Perfect for my taste buds. Haven't tried toasting it yet. Passed DD's taste bud inspection and she wants a sandwich for her school snack tomorrow.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Shelynn, did you microwave this one container or several? I am thinking this could be baked in a small loaf pan in the oven too.. I got to try this version.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:27 PM   #82
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Thank you Jennywren. I just happen to have orange jello and the crystal light stuff--I don't know what it's called either..lol
I never thought of adding the flavoring to cream cheese--yeah!! That's a great idea.

sherlynn9 ~ your version sounds good too. Love the tweakers.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:06 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
LOL, Y'all are making me swoon with ALL these wonderful variations...

Yup, color me a Lemon-lover

A few days back I made a cake, and for the Creamcheese icing, I was craving LEMON..ya know, strong enough to yell lemon!!, not just a sissy hint of it .. so I used a couple pks of True Lemon, plus some lemon juice and zest.. YUM!

Keep up the good work; I'll be joining y'all again soon using some of your great ideas. (It turned "Summer" again here, so gotta get some outside yard/garden things done..tho it interferes with my kitchen play time)

Shawnee
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
I've thought about a bread pan in the oven, but so far have just used the plastic 1.5 cup square microvable containers.

Okay, latest tweak was to use some of my Cake-ability instead of the WPI. Everything else the same (except the forgot the erythritol). Interesting with this one I did get some large holes in the bread. Think I like the WPI just a little better (that could be because of the sweetener, though). I'm thinking this recipe will work no matter what you do to it. There have certainly been some great sounding tweaks. Thanks, CarolynF for the original pancake recipe and Jennywren for posting your first tweak. Next time I'm going for a cinnamon bread, this might be the time I try it in the oven, with some nuts and caramel sauce in the pan first (think pineapple upside down cake here) an then swirling the cinnamon mixture into the regular mixture (of course more sweetener would also be needed). The possibilities are mindboggling.

Last time I made the pancakes I was thinking that a little thinner and excellent crepes.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:19 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlynn9 View Post
Think I've hit upon a keeper with this last tweak. Since there are 3 of us eating this (hey, if they want bread they get what I fix, actually, I have DD doing a CAD-type eating plan and her being able to have sandwiches is a major plus), I always triple the recipe. This time I used:

2/3 cup WPI 5000
1/3 cup oat fiber
3 TBL polydextrose (my previous batches were a little crumbly so thought, why not)
3 pinches of salt
6 TBL flax meal
2 TBL erythritol (my sweetener of choice)
3 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
6 TBL water
4 TBL oil (added the extra TBL as I wasn't using Carbquik).

This turned out light and fluffy. Perfect for my taste buds. Haven't tried toasting it yet. Passed DD's taste bud inspection and she wants a sandwich for her school snack tomorrow.

Sheryl
That's really interesting, Sherlynn. That version must be REALLY low carb. I've got the materials, except that my WPI is the 8000 rather than the 5000. Was wondering if you (or Kevinpa, who I believe has also used the 5000 in this) think the 8000 would probably work as well?

This is a great recipe that might become a sticky. Look forward to trying the croutons and french toast.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:30 AM   #86
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Was wondering if you (or Kevinpa, who I believe has also used the 5000 in this) think the 8000 would probably work as well?
The problem with subbing 8000 for 5000 is the weight difference. 8000 is between 2 and 3 times as heavy as 5000.

If it were me, I would not use more than 1/3 cup of the 8000 for that recipe.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
The problem with subbing 8000 for 5000 is the weight difference. 8000 is between 2 and 3 times as heavy as 5000.

If it were me, I would not use more than 1/3 cup of the 8000 for that recipe.
Thanks, Kevin. I see that Netrition puts the 5000 at 8g weight for 2 tablespoons, so I'll weight out the appropriate amount of the 8000 for the sub.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Sherylynn...I think that cinnamon bread sounds REALLY good! What kind of a caramel sauce might you be thinking about? Be sure to let us know if you try that one! I'm a real fan of caramel sauce...can't wait!!

I'm gonna try your tweak later today...do you have any idea as to the carb totals for it?

Jenn
Old 09-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made French Toast with this today! Yum, Yum! I haven't had French Toast in years. No other breads had a flavor good enough, IMHO, and didn't have a good texture for French Toast. Just love this recipe!

The toast I made was with my rye version, but I think next time I'll do it with one with cinnamon and nutmeg added to the bread, although I did add cinnamon to the egg mixture. Love the rye for a tuna sandwich!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stash'sWife
WOE: Long-time VLC now trying JUDD
Start Date: April 2013
Must.....get....carbquick...*drool*
Stash'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote