Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 07:43 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Tasty Lowcarb-Bread Tweak

Kevin..what is the yield of the recipe you posted? Thanks. Dixie in AL
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2006, 08:12 AM   #32

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Barkley View Post
Kevin..what is the yield of the recipe you posted? Thanks. Dixie in AL
I got almost six 1/4 cups.......the 6th one was not quite full......maybe it would make 3/4 the size of the others.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:20 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Question for either Shawneesioux or Kevinpa--how important do you think the Davinci caramel syrup is to your tweaks?
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Question for either Shawneesioux or Kevinpa--how important do you think the Davinci caramel syrup is to your tweaks?
I'm going to guess it would not be needed in mine.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 09-13-2006 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: I hate when that happens
Old 09-13-2006, 08:34 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennywren
Hey Kevin...glad you "saw the light"...er, the bread... I'm happy you liked it...I'm planning to try your tweaks later today. thanks for the input. Do you have any calculations as to the carb count on yours?

For Maggy-I think?--whomever asked about the french toast breaking up: I did a little test on that this morning, and I'm happy to say that it works just as I'd thought I remembered--made it quite sometime ago, and I wanted to be sure my memory was accurate. This time, I showed NO mercy (used no spatula to lift out of batter)...I let my normal kinda thin slice (at 5 slices per recipe) actually set in the egg batter for several minutes per side, just to give it LOTS of time to soak up, if it was going to be a problem. Lifted it over into skillet with clean fingers and it never even slightly came apart. It browned quite beautifully too, by the way. So there ya go.....

BTW...hadn't mentioned this as I expect most LC'ers already know it, but thought I should say that I've found this NOT to be a very good keeper, outside of the fridge. Guessing it is probably the fault of all the moisture it ends up having...and I keep mine in a baggie in the fridge. Lasts 3 days...easily long enough for me to have finished it.

Jenn

Last edited by Jennywren; 09-13-2006 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: needs to be in fridge--sure everybody knows it.
Jennywren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennywren View Post
Hey Kevin...glad you "saw the light"...er, the bread... I'm happy you liked it...I'm planning to try your tweaks later today. thanks for the input. Do you have any calculations as to the carb count on yours?
Jenn
close to 2.5 carbs per 1/4 cup muffin.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
Kevin...just a passing thought: your Almond flour one would be my choice for sweet toppings, ie, butter and jam, Cinnamon Toast, etc...while the flaxmeal variety lends itself more towards savory..with Italian spices, cheese toppings, then under the broiler..oh, croutons too...

Either type would make good Stuffing cubes, depending upon sweetener level, spices, etc additions...

CreekWatcher...About the DaVinci flavor(s)...this was an experiment, so use whatever flavor ya like, or none... use your personal choice of sweetener(s), and to your personal level of sweetness...

Jenn, THANKS for the French Toast update, glad it works so well.

Happy Tweaking, Y'all
Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 09-13-2006 at 11:03 AM..
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Kevin for the carbs. And also to both you and Shawnee for the great pix...they really do speak a thousand words! How could anybody resist when they see those? lol

Shawnee... OH YEAH!! Ever since you'd talked about those Croutons last night, I've been mulling over the possibilities of using them as a springboard for a savory stuffing...like sage stuffing for the turkey? I also used to use something similar to "stuff" porkchops, or roll up in beef steaks...yumm!

If either of you happen to feel like tweaking on that one a little, I for one, sure wouldn't mind seeing you work some magic!
Jenn

Last edited by Jennywren; 09-13-2006 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Had some more to say...
Old 09-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: eshlemania
Stats: 132/120/110
WOE: Blood type diet
Start Date: Dec 2008
Thanks so much for the recipe. Can't wait to try it. It occurred to me that the kind with the Divinci in would give added dimensions to French toast. Yum!!

I will be trying this.

Thanks again. I love it here!! So many good recipes.

Bev
eshlemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

As long as we're talking tweaks here, thought maybe I'd suggest something else that I've been doing with my original tweaked recipe from CarolynF's Pancakes. Sometimes, I want a little goodie in the evening, when I can spare a couple carbs, I make it into a Chocolate Version!! I think it's pretty darned good! AND it only takes 3-4 min--I'm not always ready to hit the kitchen for a big project by that time of the day!!

So the Tweak for My Chocolate Cherry Dessert for 2..is:

Combine in bowl:

1/3 c. carbquik

2 Tbsp. dk flaxmeal

1 1/2 Tbsp. Dutch Process Cocoa

1 packet Sweet One (for Scott123's synergy thing)

In small bowl, beat one egg

add 2 Tbsp Torani's Black Sweet Cherry Syrup (or I've subbed Coconut too, but I LOVE the rich flavor from the cherry syrup--my fave combination)

1 Tbsp. oil (usually EVOO--no problem taste)

I've used 6-8 drops Stevia (cause I'm going for that synergy) or an add'l. packet of Splenda...depending on desired sweetness

Blend in dry ingredients and mix well. (If needed, I add just a tch of cream)

Mix the wet and dry together, scrape down sides and nuke on high abt 2 min., til it springs back when touched lightly. This time, I bake in a diff shape... abt 3x5x2+"deep, rectangular, and then slice it from end to end, into about 5 or 6 slices. Stagger 2 or 3 slices that size, with a dollop of whipped cream and a splash of that dark red sf black cherry syrup drizzled down over--gorgeous AND seems SO SINFUL!! Specially in a nice dessert dish...texture is very very fine and light--I've served it to non-LC'ers who've asked for the recipe, having seen me nuke it minutes before!

Sure wish I had a picture for you, ...don't have that capability..sorry.

Jenn

Last edited by Jennywren; 09-13-2006 at 12:27 PM..
Old 09-13-2006, 12:44 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL, Jenn

I frequently use Raspberry in my chocolate concoctions; will have to try Cherry, since I have some...

..and sometimes SINFUL is a good thing, as long as its LC.. ..it's kept me on the LC Wagon for years..

Yeah, its time to start experimenting with Stuffing/Dressings...the Holidays are slowly sneaking up..

Shawnee
Old 09-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Yes, think you're right Shawnee...sinful LC, is wonderful!..lol. That has been the hardest thing for me to solve...when there's non-LC company for dinner. But it's sure been alot more fun since I've been able to cook LC things that we all can enjoy...and I've found lots of your recipes in other threads that gave me lots of help with that...ty!

Seems I may have caught that "tweaking bug" too.. first thing that happens when I see a recipe is how to make it more lowcarb...or better lowcarb. AND do it with what I have on hand!

Happy cookin'...... Jenn
Old 09-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #43
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005

SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jenn...what a great definition of a Tweaker !
(all I can add Re my personal Tweaking style: what I lack in common sense and knowledge, I make up for in having NO FEAR of experimentation.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennywren View Post

Seems I may have caught that "tweaking bug" too.. first thing that happens when I see a recipe is how to make it more lowcarb...or better lowcarb. AND do it with what I have on hand!

Happy cookin'...... Jenn
SugarBabi...Now THAT's perfect!...LOL, lots of qualified folks here to Sign Up!

shawnee
Old 09-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #45

We have all Just entered......
Old 09-13-2006, 05:25 PM   #46
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Maggy
Stats: 158/123/125 height 5'5
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/05
JEnny, yes it was me, and thank you so much for the french toast update. Can't wait to try these this weekend
Maggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #47
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Maggy
Stats: 158/123/125 height 5'5
Start Date: 3/05
Oh Gosh, forgot to add...thank you Shawnee for your response on the toaster question Can't believe I'm craving toasted english muffins over the chocolate treat right now!!
Maggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #48
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I made these today and I've got to say, they're grrreeeaattttt!!!!!!!!!

Husband loved them. Great recipe ya'll.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Anyone want to try that Chocolate Cherry Dessert version and post a pic? Shawnee, Kevin??

I just made two more batches of the original recipe today, one with cinnamon and nutmeg for breakfast toast and the other savory for sandwiches.

Love that this tastes so good and is so easy to make. Thanks Jenn for sharing this one!

I think I may add some caraway seeds to a batch to give it a rye bread flavor.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 09-14-2006 at 07:11 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #50

I'm out of flaxmeal, cocoa, and cherry syrup but plan to as soon as I replenish........so many recipes.....so little time.....
Old 09-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL, doggone it, I have the ingredients, but not the time right now...have a 3-day Family thingy starting tomorrow...
Meanwhile keep on Tweakin'...

Shawnee
Old 09-14-2006, 10:53 PM   #52
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

My camera's digital card crapped out on me, so I'm waiting for the new one...like Kevin says...so many recipes, so little time and I want to try them all too!!:blush:
Old 09-15-2006, 07:37 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TXkim
Stats: 5'8" 155/127/125
Start Date: April 2003
These are great! I made Jenn's version, adding 1/2 t. baking powder and 1/4 t. soda and I subbed WPI for part of the Carbquick (saves a couple of carbs). I love the way they crisp up and cooking them in the rubbermaid container is perfect for "english muffins"! I think these will become a staple and while I had all the ingredients out, I measured out all the dry ingredients into individual baggies ready to just add egg, water and oil. Thanks to all who had a hand in making this such a versatile recipe.
TXkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DianeTTT
Stats: 175/168/145
I just ran to my kitchen and made these (added cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and almond extract)... I am so excited! After it came out, I sliced off a piece and toasted it with butter... wonderful! I am not an egg eater so this will easily replace my breakfast!!!

But I do have a quick question... how many carbs are in 1/3 cup of CarbQuick? The nutritional facts show the serving size as 1 biscuit or 20g...

Thanks for the great recipe!
DianeTTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:47 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: twyx
WOE: LC
I just made Shawnee's recipe--AWESOME. I made them in regular muffin pans in the oven. With a tad more sweetner and some banana extract--these would make great banana muffins.

What do you think about adding in maybe some sharp shredded cheddar? To make them a little more savory?

I'm going to need to keep these out of my sight, I think!
twyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeTTT View Post
But I do have a quick question... how many carbs are in 1/3 cup of CarbQuick?
Somewhere between 3 and 4 carbs Diane.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pita
Stats: Lost 40 lbs
WOE: LC
Mine tasted like cornbread.....problem is that I don't like cornbread. And I don't think I really care for the taste of flax .
I used
1/3 cup CQ
2 tbsp golden flax seeds
1 drop stevia
1 egg
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp oil
1/4 teas vanilla

I made a batch last night using psyllium husks (ground) instead of the flax seeds, I used vanilla davinci's (can't remember how much) anyway, it had a much lighter flavor. I noticed on both attemps that this stuff really stinks until it cools off. Also, the toasted part is awesome. I'm going to continue to play with this.

Anybody want to try making stuffing with this bread.....i think it would be really good stuff.
Thanks Jenn
pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #58
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXkim View Post
These are great! I made Jenn's version, adding 1/2 t. baking powder and 1/4 t. soda and I subbed WPI for part of the Carbquick (saves a couple of carbs). I love the way they crisp up and cooking them in the rubbermaid container is perfect for "english muffins"! I think these will become a staple and while I had all the ingredients out, I measured out all the dry ingredients into individual baggies ready to just add egg, water and oil. Thanks to all who had a hand in making this such a versatile recipe.
Wow, now that is smart thinking. WTG!! And thanks for sharing.

Pita ~ Maybe try kevin's recipe...flax does kinda have the cornmeal mouth feel to it when you bake with it.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:34 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Hi Tweak...you're very welcome--glad you like it.

Hi Pita...you're also welcome--glad you tried it. Sugar may be right about the flax being the reason for the cornmeal thing. I'm not sure if you're describing a taste like cornbread...or the texture was like cornbread. But I noticed that in your list of ingredients, the extra 2/3 tsp baking powder isn't mentioned. I'm wondering if that might have made a difference in your resulting texture. I have thought the texture is SO similar to regular bread, but I do always use that extra baking powder. You might try adding that, if it's not just an oversight from your list above. And if you like the taste ok, and it was just a texture thing.

The other thing I've noticed, is that for some reason I really like the bread best when I use the dark flaxseed meal...maybe it's just silly, but I like the looks of it with the little flecks they give--kind of like Hillbilly bread or one of those multi-grain types? And it seems like it has a better--nuttier flavor to me IMHO. Or like I said, maybe I'm a little nutty!!

And I agree about the stuffing...haven't had a chance to try it at all. But sure hope it will work--if I have any luck, I will let you know.

Jenn

Last edited by Jennywren; 09-16-2006 at 06:45 PM..
Old 09-17-2006, 04:59 AM   #60
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Just ate some of the bread, with Shawneesioux's tweeks. Man is this good! Glad I doubled the batch! Now I just need to find some better containers to bake it in, for next time!
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote