Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Chicken Casserole Recipe?

Ya'll know those recipes where you put basically put chicken, cream of chicken soup, rice, and maybe some parmesan cheese into a casserole?

Has anyone ever come up with a really tasty LC sub, using cauliflower as rice?
Preferably one that is thrown together easily LOL

I found the one below online... but its hard to guage if it will come out creamy enough (?)..... although the carbs and calories are great.
(Its so hard for me to balance out using cream and cheese and not overblowing my calorie limits)

Thanks for any suggestions!
~Anna

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 pound boneless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil, or use cooking spray
salt and pepper, to taste
1 head cauliflower, grated
1 1/2 teaspoons herbs, dried; basil, thyme, etc.
1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

PREPARATION:Wash chicken breasts or tenders; pat dry. Cut into cubes. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat; add chicken and cook until chicken is browned and just tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add cream and stir to scrape up any browned bits.. Spray a 7x11-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray; add grated cauliflower.

Sprinkle cauliflower with a little salt and pepper, onion powder, basil and thyme or a combination of herbs, and parsley. Top cauliflower with chicken; drizzle with the cream. Sprinkle cheese over all.

Cover and bake for 15 minutes at 325°.

Serves 4 to 6Approximate nutrients, based on 5 servings:
Per Serving: 258 Calories, 16g Fat (56.0% calories from fat), 26g Protein, 2g Carbohydrate, 1g Dietary Fiber, 91mg Cholesterol, 198mg Sodium.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #2

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Sugar, you could try making Scalloped Cauliflower and Green Beans and add chicken to it.....that would be creamy and easy.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: luvdanrs
Stats: 243/221.5/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2006
I have a recipe that is totally wonderful and I am eating it today..... It has the consitancey of Heaven...

Here goes:

3 cups cut up or shredded cooked chicken
1/4 bag spicy pork rinds
16 oz Shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 bag of frozen cauliflower, or brocolli or mix or whatever veggie you like
1 tbs. minced dried onions
1 tsp. minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste

crush pork rinds in a plastic bag with a can or however works for you...spread 3/4 of that on bottom of 13x9 baking dish or 9x9 deep dish baking pan. In a bowl mix chicken 3/4 of the cheddar and the cooked chicken and spread over crushed pork rinds. In a bowl mix mayo, sour cream, chicken broth onion, garlic and salt and pepper. Pour over mixture in baking pan. Place in oven at 325 for 20 min. pull out pour remaining Cheese over top and sprinkle remaining crushed pork rinds over the top. Bake for another 7 to 10 min. Take out let sit for 10 min then eat.

I have a room mate that is a very picky eater wont eat 1/2 of the ingredients in the casserole. She came home one pm I was in the shower and the casserole was cooling. She "picked at it" when I came outd 1/4 of the casserole was gone... I asked her why she ate things she hated.... she :blush: and said... I didnt know what was in it but this is awesome.... . I made it so she wouldnt eat it figuring it was safe since she didnt like half the ingredients...so much for that thought

" Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant" I just pray for more dog days!!!!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...Gz7/weight.png
luvdanrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hookmaster7
Stats: 220/180/130
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: JUNE 1999
Go to Lina Sue's site she has so many it is hard to choose just one they are all really good.
hookmaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

The one I posted is a combination of a few on linda sues site I wanted it creamier than the ones I found so I combined. Found that using cream cheese didnt make stuff creamy enuff... and too dry.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:18 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdanrs
I have a recipe that is totally wonderful and I am eating it today..... It has the consitancey of Heaven...

Here goes:

3 cups cut up or shredded cooked chicken
1/4 bag spicy pork rinds
16 oz Shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 bag of frozen cauliflower, or brocolli or mix or whatever veggie you like
1 tbs. minced dried onions
1 tsp. minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste

crush pork rinds in a plastic bag with a can or however works for you...spread 3/4 of that on bottom of 13x9 baking dish or 9x9 deep dish baking pan. In a bowl mix chicken 3/4 of the cheddar and the cooked chicken and spread over crushed pork rinds. In a bowl mix mayo, sour cream, chicken broth onion, garlic and salt and pepper. Pour over mixture in baking pan. Place in oven at 325 for 20 min. pull out pour remaining Cheese over top and sprinkle remaining crushed pork rinds over the top. Bake for another 7 to 10 min. Take out let sit for 10 min then eat.
Andrea, I have a couple questions. First, what size bag of pork rinds are you using? Second, when do you add the cauliflower? Did you mean to say to add it where you said "In a bowl mix chicken 3/4 of the cheddar and the cooked chicken..."? I thought maybe since you said to add chicken twice perhaps the first "chicken" was supposed to be the cauliflower.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:41 AM   #7

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
luvdanrs, I have one more question. Do you cook the cauliflower?
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:00 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Umm yes it was sposed to say add the cauliflower and not the chicken twice and I use a 5 oz bag of pork rinds (thought thats the only size they come in unless you buy the individual size :blush: ) around here anyways. And no I just put the forzen cauliflower or brocolli in when I mix together the chicken cheese and cauliflower... i have also added canned sliced mushroom...and its actually a combination of recipes I found on your website... of which ALL are sooooo yummy!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:37 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
I found this recipe in a church cookbook my mom gave me a few years ago - strange that it is actually her recipe and I never remember eating this growing up. The only changes I made were to omit 2 tablespoons of diced pimento (too fussy for me) and the potato chip topping.

2 c. cooked chicken, cubed (I used breasts)
2 c. chopped celery
1/3 c. chopped green pepper (can use red for more color)
3 green onions (original called for 2 T chopped onion)
1/2 c. mayo
2 T. lemon juice
1 t. salt
1/3 c. diced cheddar

mix together all ingredients except cheese. Put into a casserole dish and top with cheese. bake at 350 fro 45 minutes.

Totals from ****** - 1441 calories, 109 fat, 23 carbs, 96 protein, 6 fiber

For 1/4 of recipe - 360.25 calories, 27.25 fat, 5.75 carbs, 24 protein, 1.5 fiber for an ECC of 4.25 per serving

Tim
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Thank you all sooooooo much!!
The recipes you all gave look like they will turn out much better than the first one I found. Dunno why, but I am craving creamy yummy comfort food!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #11

Gallery: Loretta V
Stats: 140/120/120
WOE: Low Carb & Modified JUDDD Jan. 2012
Start Date: July 2001/ Low Carb Friends 9/2001
Andrea I tried your version of the Chicken Casserole recipe for supper tonight and it was just great. Dh and I both cleaned our plates. Good idea about the mushrooms, well next time.

Thanks
Loretta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #12

Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
I have this in the oven right now. Cooked mixture for 20 min at 325 in a covered casserole dish. Didn't look like it was done so I took the cover off for 5 min. Mixture is still cold. Have upped the temp to 350.

Is the original 325 oven temp correct or a typo? Waiting for it to start bubbling a little bit before adding the last cheese and pork rind topping.

TIA
Bar10der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #13

Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar10der
I have this in the oven right now. Cooked mixture for 20 min at 325 in a covered casserole dish. Didn't look like it was done so I took the cover off for 5 min. Mixture is still cold. Have upped the temp to 350.

Is the original 325 oven temp correct or a typo? Waiting for it to start bubbling a little bit before adding the last cheese and pork rind topping.

TIA
Answering my own question, after I upped the temp to 350, it took another 15 min for the chicken mixture to start bubbling then I put the rest of the cheese and pork rind on top and it was YUMMY !!!

Thanks luvdanrs for this great recipe.
Bar10der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:25 AM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I was going to ask you to make sure your oven was on Ovens are so fickle you never know with them. I am glad you enjoyed the casserole... it just hits the spot doesnt it. It is an awesome comfort food has that great consitancy that you usually dont get with just veggies and meat and cheese...that carby feeling without the carbs
Old 08-23-2006, 06:24 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/130
WOE: Low carb & actos
Start Date: 3/05
I make a casserole with Tuna or chicken...

2 Cans Tuna or chicken
1 can cream mushroom soup
little bit of onion and green pepper
couple of handfulls of cheddar cheese or hotpepper cheese
1 T mayo
about a 1/3 cup Hoods countdown milk
and 1 cup cooked Dreamsfiled macaroni

Mix it all together and put a little more shredded cheese on top and put it in the oven at 325 for 30 minutes. I love it!
Sassay is offline   Reply With Quote