Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   I bought frozen artichoke hearts now what?! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/443858-i-bought-frozen-artichoke-hearts-now-what.html)

ebonyeyz28 08-16-2006 06:24 AM

I bought frozen artichoke hearts now what?!

I was in Trader Joe's yesterday... :love: ...and walked up on bags of frozen artichoke hearts and couldn't resist! For only $1.99/bag I figured that I could experiment with them wthout hearting my pockets too bad. So, do you guys have any receipes that you could suggest? I was thinking of steaming them and topping them with garlic butter but I would also like to throw them into a casserole or something. Please help!

Thanks in advance! :hugs:

dizneegirl 08-16-2006 06:30 AM

I buy them, and sautee them in butter, season with kosher salt & fresh ground pepper, until they start to get crispy brown. Yum!

ebonyeyz28 08-16-2006 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizneegirl
I buy them, and sautee them in butter, season with kosher salt & fresh ground pepper, until they start to get crispy brown. Yum!

That sounds DELICIOUS, thanks! :notwrthy: :hugs:

Charski 08-16-2006 10:39 AM

I defrost them, toss them in beaten eggwhite, then dredge in Parmesan cheese (the green can kind) and ovenroast at 425* until they are getting browned and crispy. Kinda like deepfried artichoke hearts without all the mess!

Strawberry 08-16-2006 01:25 PM

I love making them into artichoke-spinach dip :)

You could probably add them into any type of a spinach cream cheese type casserole

gotogirl 08-16-2006 02:31 PM

I like to steam them until slightly soft. Add chunks of chicken, mayo, lemon juice and parmesan cheese. Bake in a casserole until bubbly. Very yummy.

SugarBabi 08-16-2006 03:11 PM

Mushroom-garlic chicken w/ artichokes

3 tb Butter
4 Garlic cloves, crushed
6 Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless, pounded to 1/4" thickness (I cut mine into thirds after pounding them)
Salt
Black pepper
1 tb Oil, olive
4 Garlic cloves, crushed
lb Mushrooms; sliced (can add more mushrooms if you like)
14 oz Artichoke hearts; drained & quartered (u can use frozen, thaw first)
2 tb Marsala; dry (I used sherry)
1 tb Juice, lemon

Season chicken w/ salt & pepper. In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic & cook 1 minute. Add chicken & cook unitl lightly browned, about 3 minutes a side. Remove to a warm serving platter. 2. In the same frying pan, add olive oil & remaining garlic; cook 1 minute. Add mushrooms & cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add artichokes & cook 1 minute, until heated through. Add Marsala & lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Stir continuiously until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Pour over chicken.

I used to make this all the time and it was sooo good. It sounds like a lot of garlic, but that is what makes it good. I can't eat garlic anymore and I sure do miss it, esp. this recipe--it was one of my fave's for chicken.

ebonyeyz28 08-17-2006 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry
I love making them into artichoke-spinach dip :)

You could probably add them into any type of a spinach cream cheese type casserole

And when are you going to give me that recipe Strawberry? :love:

RVlady 08-17-2006 10:15 AM

SugarBabi, I'm so glad that you posted this. I just noticed 6 chicken breasts sitting in the fridge that I meant to freeze on when I bought them on Monday so I have to cook them today and this recipe sounds scrumptious and I have all ingreds on hand.
Thanks,
Connie

terez 08-17-2006 07:40 PM

I heat them up with the Trader Joe's green beans, Vidalia onions (or yellow-cook them until the heat's gone), tomatoes, maybe some green or red peppers, and put on a bed of spinach and slather with either olive oil or roasted hazelnut oil, and a strong red wine vinegar. Kosher salt or sea salt on top is wonderful! Sometimes I get Brussels sprouts, clean them, cut them in half, and microwave them and put them in there, too.

In the Winter, they go into the blender with a nice Swiss or Gruyer cheese, and cooked with some cream cheese and spinach for a wonderful dip with breads, crackers, or chips.

But I LOVE the suggestion of baking them 'til their crisp.

ebonyeyz28 08-17-2006 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarBabi
Mushroom-garlic chicken w/ artichokes

3 tb Butter
4 Garlic cloves, crushed
6 Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless, pounded to 1/4" thickness (I cut mine into thirds after pounding them)
Salt
Black pepper
1 tb Oil, olive
4 Garlic cloves, crushed
lb Mushrooms; sliced (can add more mushrooms if you like)
14 oz Artichoke hearts; drained & quartered (u can use frozen, thaw first)
2 tb Marsala; dry (I used sherry)
1 tb Juice, lemon

Season chicken w/ salt & pepper. In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic & cook 1 minute. Add chicken & cook unitl lightly browned, about 3 minutes a side. Remove to a warm serving platter. 2. In the same frying pan, add olive oil & remaining garlic; cook 1 minute. Add mushrooms & cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add artichokes & cook 1 minute, until heated through. Add Marsala & lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Stir continuiously until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Pour over chicken.

I used to make this all the time and it was sooo good. It sounds like a lot of garlic, but that is what makes it good. I can't eat garlic anymore and I sure do miss it, esp. this recipe--it was one of my fave's for chicken.

Thanks for the receipe! Yum! Yum! Yum! :love: Does anybody know what I could sub for sherry/marsala or is it even necessary?

ebonyeyz28 08-17-2006 08:18 PM

Thanks for ALL of the suggestions everybody, you guys are outstanding and I can't wait to try all of your suggestions! :up:

FYI, I opted to have my artichoke hearts browned in butter with garlic (until nice and brown) and lightly salted. :notwrthy:

RVlady 08-18-2006 11:58 AM

I made this for dinner tonight. Just took a nibble and it turned out very tasty.
ARTICHOKE CHICKEN BAKE

8 ounces artichoke hearts in water-- drained and chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon fresh garlic -- chopped
3 chopped green onions
4 boneless skinless chicken breast

Season the chicken breast pieces and place in Pam sprayed glass pie pan.
In a bowl, combine the artichokes, parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, garlic and onions.

Spread artichoke mixture over chicken breasts.

Bake uncovered, at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until chicken juices run
clear.

Connie

SugarBabi 08-19-2006 02:20 AM

RV LADY- that recipe sounds great and I'll be leaving out the garlic. LOL
Thank you. I'm going to make this up this weekend. I eat chicken a lot and I'm always trying new recipes. :)

GypsyVisions 08-19-2006 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVlady
I made this for dinner tonight. Just took a nibble and it turned out very tasty.
ARTICHOKE CHICKEN BAKE

1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 chopped green onions

In a bowl, combine the artichokes, parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, garlic and onions.

clear.

Connie

Would you happen to know the carb count/calories in this? Thanks.

Lizzzee 08-19-2006 09:01 AM

Those frozen ones are tasty. Much better than canned. I have a recipe for them
wrapped in bacon that I haven't tried yet. I like to make a crustless arti/feta
quiche. I just remembered I bought some fresh ones that I'll steam tonite.

ebonyeyz28 08-19-2006 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVlady
ARTICHOKE CHICKEN BAKE

1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 chopped green onions

clear.

Connie

OMG that sounds sooooo good! Thanks for sharing...now I know what to make for dinner! :love:

RVlady 08-19-2006 04:05 PM

GypsyVisions,

Sorry, do not have carb count on this recipe.

Connie

rversaggi 02-15-2012 06:59 AM

artichoke hearts

Artichoke hearts make the most delicious oven-baked omelet.
I chop them fairly fine, add anything else that sounds good, like
sauteed onions, muchrooms, cheese, etc. You can't go wrong.

Has the added benefit of being good cold or hot, so it's a great high-protein
snack too have on hand.

drjlocarb 02-15-2012 08:37 AM

Sounds good rversaggi. Welcome to LCF.

Nigel 02-16-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonyeyz28 (Post 7361756)
Thanks for the receipe! Yum! Yum! Yum! :love: Does anybody know what I could sub for sherry/marsala or is it even necessary?

This is an old thread but the recipe sound delish....so I would substitute chicken broth for the sherry/marsala...I do it all the time in other recipes.

CarolynF 02-16-2012 03:04 PM

I wish I could get the frozen ones here..:(

KCSoccer 02-17-2012 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 15422832)
I wish I could get the frozen ones here..:(

Carolyn,
Where in Kansas are you? I live in the KC metro area. My favorite brand is Trader Joe's brand, but I can also find frozen artichoke hearts at my local Price Chopper, HyVee and Hen House markets. S&W Brand. I've seen them at Dillons markets (which moved out the KC area), so if you're near Wichita, Manhattan, or Topeka, you might be able to find them there as well.

On the original topic, I highly recommend Ina Garten's Roasted Artichoke Salad (I usually halve the recipe as I'm the only one in the family who eats it.) Just google it and you'll find the recipe.

Dmil 02-17-2012 09:08 AM

subbing, as i never knew what to do with them either...

LiRoGe88 02-18-2012 07:39 PM

I take artichoke hearts and put them in a microwave bowl with lid. I then put a tablespoon of butter, a splash of chicken broth, juice from half a lemon, and then sprinkle with a little dried dill. Then just microwave for a few minutes to everything is hot and slightly steamed.

I really like the lemon/dill combo with the artichoke hearts. I had them at a Greek festival this way and have been doing them ever since.

Dixie Barkley 02-20-2012 10:11 AM

I have never eaten artichokes but with these recipes I think I will try them. Thanks for posting.

CindyCRNA 01-18-2014 07:10 AM

Bumping this up 'cause I gotta recipe!!!

Canyon Ranch Baked Artichoke Fries

8 oz frozen artichoke hearts (Trader Joes has them)
1/2t lemon zest
1 1/2t lemon juice
1/4 t kosher salt
1/4 t pepper
1T grated parm
1/2t garlic granules (that sounds like a lot!)
2t EVOO

Preheat oven to 375. Steam artichoke hearts for 5 min and coll slightly. Slice into 1/4" slices. Toss with olive oil. In a bowl toss all the rest of the ingredients to combine. Add chokes and toss to coat evenly. Recipe says to place on a perforated sheet tray but I'm thinking a 1/2 sheet pan sprayed well. May have to turn half way thru. Bake 25-30 min until golden. It says 4 servings. I see it as 1!! This is a Pinterest recipe if you want to see the pic.

mcchimento 01-18-2014 09:27 AM

I need to try that. Artichoke hearts are a staple in this house. LOVE fried artichoke hearts but not low carb - this might do the trick. Got to watch though artichokes are a little carby - portion control is necessary.

yvetj79 01-18-2014 09:55 PM

dip with artichoke hearts

Simple Artichoke Dip Recipe - Allrecipes.com

CindyCRNA 01-19-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvetj79 (Post 16763339)

Pinned it. Thanks! I am having a bugger of a time finding frozen artichoke hearts, the ones that are solid disk shaped hearts with no leaves. TJ doesn't have them currently. I have an e-mail out to them to see if they are a seasonal thing.