Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Splenda for Sweet Pickles?

We're starting to get cucumbers from the garden, so I started making sweet pickles. I don't plan on eating any as they are full of sugar! My husband thought I was making them with Splenda, but I said I don't know if that's possible. I sent an email to Splenda and this is what they said:

"With proper canning techniques, Splenda Granular can be successfully used in place of sugar. Splenda Granular is heat stable and can be used as a sweetener in canning and in making jams and jellies. However, it does not provide the preservative properties of sugar, so proper canning techniques are essential to avoid spoilage."

I'm really tempted to try making the sweet pickles with Splenda, but have had no experience canning with the hot water bath and all that. Has anyone tried this? How about red pepper jelly? I bet that would be good.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2006, 07:29 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
There are Splenda sweetened pickles on the market so there's no reason you can't. There's enough vinegar in pickles for the preservative (think of dill pickles--they don't have sugar).
I make strawberry jam but I add polyd which has preservative qualities as well as thickening properties. I don't think they would keep well with just Splenda without refrigeration. But I only make the jam 3-4 jars at a time. I don't know if they would keep as long as a sugar based jam or not even with the polyd. Someone else can probably answer that.

Last edited by jackieba; 08-12-2006 at 07:32 AM..
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba
There are Splenda sweetened pickles on the market so there's no reason you can't. There's enough vinegar in pickles for the preservative (think of dill pickles--they don't have sugar).
I make strawberry jam but I add polyd which has preservative qualities as well as thickening properties. I don't think they would keep well with just Splenda without refrigeration.
Have you posted your polyD jam recipe? Would love to find one!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marlena
I made splenda sweet pickles and they are wonderful - I feel so SMART
marlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

shirlc,
if you do make Splenda pickles, I'd be interested to know if you had to modify the amount used. I personally don't find straight Splenda to be as sweet as sugar but maybe it's my taste. I always mix sweetners. Next year I may grow cucumbers and try out sweet pickle recipe without sugar. For now I just buy them and give our old sugar pickles away.

Magnamater,
I have posted it before but not in the recipe room--it's not my original; it's my adaptation of Jaideyes' recipe. I just wanted it sweeter. I think the original is in the polyd sticky thread.

1 cup crushed strawberries
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup polyd
1/4 cup erythritol
1/3 cup granular Splenda (I use equiv sweetening amt of Sweetzfree)
2 packets Sweet One brand Acek (or whatever third sweetner you have)
1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
1/4 teaspoon butter

Stir together strawberries, butter, lemon juice, strawberry extract (and if you use liquid splenda).
Stir together granular splenda, erythritol, polyd, and sweet one.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir well.
Microwave on full power for 4 minutes.
Stir then microwave on full power another 4 minutes.
Pout into jar, cool and refrigerate. It will thicken more upon cooling.

You can adjust the thickness level by the amount of cooking time. The first time I cooked it an extra 2 mins because I was tweaking the sweetening amount and it came out really thick after cooling. This makes one jelly jar.

The original recipe only used 1/4 cup erythritol and 1 packet stevia plus (rather than sweet one) so if you like it less sweet, try that instead. I think mine has more splenda too (the orig used the less concentrated liquid version). The rest of the ingredients is the same and the cooking time is the same as the original recipe.

If you make a larger batch, you may need to experiment on the cooking time. I usually make 3 jars and microwave a total of 10 minutes--my husband doesn't like it really thick (he likes the consistency where if you slant the jar it will move a little).
I don't use a canner. I boil my jars to sterilize. Put the hot jam in the hot jars, seal, turn upside down 5 minutes then turn back up and they always have sealed tight.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:10 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, jackieba, and I'm assuming that you refrig. the jams always, am I correct?

Strawberry is my favorite, can you see other fruits? Blueberry, blackberry? Maybe a good marmalade???

Thanks for being right back to me!
Old 08-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you both for your replies! Maybe I'll try and figure something out for just a small amount of pickles. The strawberry jam sounds wonderful.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:28 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Magnamater,
Yes I normally do refrigerate them just to be on the safe side--a few jelly jars doesn't take up much room (but actually at first I did leave sealed jars out for a couple of weeks with no problems--then I decided why take any chances). I've only done strawberry so far. If you want to do jam with fruits that don't have much natural pectin like blueberry, you might want to add some pectin.

Last edited by jackieba; 08-13-2006 at 07:34 AM..
Old 08-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlena
I made splenda sweet pickles and they are wonderful - I feel so SMART
Marlena, Would you mind sharing your recipe? Or is it posted somewhere? Thanks, Shirley
Old 08-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know this probably isn't the place to post this, but I make these HOT sweet pickles.

Pour off juice from hamburger dill slices.

Add bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce.

Sweeten with splenda, or with sweeteners of your choice. I have used a blend of stevia, splenda, but this is forgiving.

It takes a lot of sweetener. In the original recipe you poured granulated white sugar into the jar to fill it.

Several days in the fridge and you have hot sweet pickles.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
Hi Shirlc:

I make both refrigerator and freezer sweet pickles with either splenda or sweetzfree - both turn out fantastic. I'm not a canner, so unfortunately I can't help you there.

Tim
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Love2013
WOE: Sugar is my enemy
Start Date: January 2000
Splenda with Sweet pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
We're starting to get cucumbers from the garden, so I started making sweet pickles. I don't plan on eating any as they are full of sugar! My husband thought I was making them with Splenda, but I said I don't know if that's possible. I sent an email to Splenda and this is what they said:

"With proper canning techniques, Splenda Granular can be successfully used in place of sugar. Splenda Granular is heat stable and can be used as a sweetener in canning and in making jams and jellies. However, it does not provide the preservative properties of sugar, so proper canning techniques are essential to avoid spoilage."

I'm really tempted to try making the sweet pickles with Splenda, but have had no experience canning with the hot water bath and all that. Has anyone tried this? How about red pepper jelly? I bet that would be good.
Hi: I use Splenda all the time and you might want to try making your sweet pickles using half Splenda and half white sugar. You could experiment with a couple of the jars and use Splenda for 3/4 of the amount called and 1/4 white sugar, then try another jar using 1/2 and 1/2. See which one you prefer. I haven't canned pickles this way but have tried using just Splenda in canned plums. That was a big mistake, they tasted like chemicals and have an after taste. Ended up putting them all in my garden compost, what a waste, eh.
Please let me know what you ended up doing with your pickles, what you finally used and how they tasted. Thanks
Love2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2013 View Post
Hi: I use Splenda all the time and you might want to try making your sweet pickles using half Splenda and half white sugar. You could experiment with a couple of the jars and use Splenda for 3/4 of the amount called and 1/4 white sugar, then try another jar using 1/2 and 1/2. See which one you prefer. I haven't canned pickles this way but have tried using just Splenda in canned plums. That was a big mistake, they tasted like chemicals and have an after taste. Ended up putting them all in my garden compost, what a waste, eh.
Please let me know what you ended up doing with your pickles, what you finally used and how they tasted. Thanks
PLEASE use liquid sucralose ( no after taste ). Netrition carries ezsweet
aka liquid sucralose. Look on our Canning thread. We have loads of recipes for canning.Please don't use real sugar.

I just canned blueberry , black berry, and raspberry( pancake ) syrups and jams.

Here is our canning thread link.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...here-soon.html

Hope that helps.

Last edited by rosethorns; 08-08-2013 at 04:07 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DixieMoon
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2/2011
I use Splenda for putting up my hot peppers. I just sterilize the jars and lids.

I cup Splenda

I cup apple cider vinegar.

Bring to boil and stir until Splenda dissolves.

Pack jars with hot peppers and pour solution over. Let cool and refrigerate.

We ate these over a period of a year with no problems.
DixieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I invested in a canning pot with a rack and a jar lifter a couple of years ago. for about $14 it makes so much difference in the ability (and willingness) to process anything, that I went to town with all my pickles, tomatoes, jams, etc.

For pickles, I use a combination of erythritol, xylitol, and Splenda, just because the flavor is so much better. If you are using vinegar, the sugar component is not so important with regard to the preservative aspect, but the processing in the canner assures that you will have safe canned pickled produce.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Linda Sue has a couple of splenda sweetened pickle recipes on her website.
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote