Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2006, 05:22 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jamielynn23
Stats: 138/127/115
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Memorial Day 2006
Any one familliar with this Chinese buffet item?

Hi Everyone.

I posted this under the Atkins/Maintain bulletin board and got a suggestion to post here, so here goes... I was wondering if anyone knows what is in that seafood dish that is very common on chinese/hong kong style buffets, it is usually just called "seafood in cheese". It is very creamy and buttery. It is loaded with imitation crab (which I had no idea wasn't very low in carbs, naive me!) Anyhow, if anyone can tell me what is in it, or what the carb count is I would greatly appreciate it!!

It is my favorite dish and would like to try and recreate it in a healthy manor. Any suggestions???
jamielynn23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Is is called crab delight or something like that? I think the restaurants here use panko (bread crumbs)on top and flour to thicken the sauce(sorry). I'd guess it's probably around 25-30g carbs per 1/2 cup serving (just guessing) adding the imitation crab at anywhere from 9g to 15g carbs for 3 oz(depends on the brand).
All this is just guesstimation though. You're best bet is to ask the individual restaurant since they can vary a lot.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Cheese? Are you sure 'cheese' was in the description? I don't think I've ever seen cheese in an Asian buffet dish.

Could it be a lobster sauce? Lobster sauces are creamy yet slightly transparent (like thick skim milk). They're corn starch/broth based.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

I can not be sure that there is cheese actually in it, but it is most definately labeled "seafood in cheese sauce" at both chinese buffets where I live. It does look they way you describe, a thick white sauce. I am aware that these asian restaurant's do use a lot of cornstarch to thicken sauces and as glazes, so I do not go there very often. But when I do, I sure like to take a taste of this dish.

As for the bread crumbs, I really doubt it. They are not visible if they are there, and there is not bread crumb texture or taste either.

What always makes me laugh though, is the incorrect labeling of food that goes on at chinese buffets (at least in my area). They serve "England Clam Chowder" The have huge chicken stips and call them "Chicken nugget." LOL. There are other funny errors that I can't think of right now.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Are there peas in this?

My guess is that they took the traditional shrimp in lobster sauce and subbed the considerably cheaper imitation crab. I wouldn't really call lobster sauce 'creamy,' though. It's white, but not opaque like cream. As I said, it's more milky.

Does it look like this?

scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:58 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rrosser
I know exactly what you are talking about because a Chinese Buffet near me serves this dish. I found a recipe that's similar to it. The only difference is instead of bread crumbs the buffet tops it with cheese. To me it looks like regular American cheese slices. I've also seen and eaten spinach cooked this way.

IMITATION CRAB CASSEROLE

1 lb. sea flakes
1/4 lb. butter
1 1/2 c. milk
1 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp. flour
Paprika
Bread crumbs

Melt butter in saucepan. Add milk and flour. Stir. Add Parmesan cheese and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in sea flakes. Pour mixture into 9 inch casserole dish. Sprinkle paprika and bread crumbs on top. Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Those who have had this dish before.... Can you help come up with a low carb version?

It sounds really delish!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Scott, although that looks really yummy, that is not what I am talking about. There really aren't any peas or other veggies in the dish. Looks good though, did you make it?!

Wow
Old 08-01-2006, 07:18 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

RRosser, I have no idea what sea flakes are, (is that the crab?) This recipe looks closest to what I am talking about so far. I don't think I have ever seen it when it was immediately set out onto the buffet, so I don't know if it looks like it has slices of american cheese on top, but that is a strong possibility. White American cheese ofcourse. I am going to have to do some investigating with the name of that recipe that you listed. THANKS A LOT!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:28 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
if you google images using "seafood in cheese" you get this from a catering place:

Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Kevin, thats not quite it, but I see you are from Pittsburgh. I am East of Pittsburgh in Johnstown,PA and that is where the two buffets that I am talking about are. The "Main Moon" and the "Hong Kong Buffet. Do you have either of this restaurants out your way??
Old 08-01-2006, 08:20 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
No, sorry those 2 names do not look familiar to me
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Does it have thin slices of onion in it too?

My favorite Chinese place (with a Mongolian grill!) has a casserole that's made with imitation crab (darn it!), mayo, butter, cheese and thin onion slices. Thick, rich, creamy. Really good.
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:03 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Now that you mention it, I am sure that there is a little sweetness in it like it would come from mayo. I can't recall the onions vividly, but they might be in there. What else do you know about this dish diznee??
Old 08-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rrosser
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamielynn23
RRosser, I have no idea what sea flakes are, (is that the crab?) This recipe looks closest to what I am talking about so far. I don't think I have ever seen it when it was immediately set out onto the buffet, so I don't know if it looks like it has slices of american cheese on top, but that is a strong possibility. White American cheese ofcourse. I am going to have to do some investigating with the name of that recipe that you listed. THANKS A LOT!!!
Yes sea flakes is the crab. I don't know about the white American cheese, because here they use the yellow cheese. I think after it sits awhile and people pick at it, you can't tell it even has the cheese on top.
rrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
That's about all I know. I've searched a couple of times for a recipe, but haven't found one that's exactly this dish. I love it though... I keep forgetting to try making it up. If you use real crab, I don't think it'd be too hard to make it perfectly lc legal, though.
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
What about using a recipe like Kevins scalloped green beans and cauliflower or Linda Sue's casseroles... to get the basic proportions for cream and cheese... but substituting crab meat and a little bit of silvered onions for the vegetable part? That might work.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:06 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Good thinking Strawberry, that sounds pretty tasty. I am going to have to try it soon.