Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Sour Cream Recipes

I'd love for any of you to share recipes that include sour cream, that are your favorites.

I sour cream... especially in baked goods and in main dishes. But, I don't have any real good recipes.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by momov2boys; 07-21-2006 at 09:24 AM..
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
I like to make a cucumber and tomato salad.

I just chop up some cucumbers, grape tomatoes, green onion and mix them all together. If you have particularly juicy tomatoes or cucumbers, you can salt them and drain them in a colander first, but mostly with the grape tomatoes I don't have to. Then you add some cracked black pepper and sour cream and mix it all up and serve. It's a nice cool salad for the summertime.
You could leave out the tomatoes and it's still a great salad. I have eaten this with bell pepper added too and it was also tasty.

I put sour cream in my guacamole when I make that also.

For cauli-tater salad, I use a mix of half mayo and half sour cream.

I really like sour cream a lot too!

I like to make chicken wraps and add the sour cream. I love it on top of taco salad also.

That's about all I can think of right now.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachbumwannabe
Stats: 177/170/135 restart 198.9/177/135 LT 197.5/177/135
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 11/20/08 restart 11/29/10 LT 10/28/12
I just started using equal amounts of mayo and sour cream to make my chicken salad. It tastes better than just mayo.

Creamy Vegetable Dip
1 c mayo
1 c sour cream
1 T dry onion
1 T parsley
1 t seasoned salt
1 t dill weed
1 t beau monde seasoning
1/2 t Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t Accent (optional)
2 drops Tabasco sauce
1/8 t dry mustard

Mix and chill. Serve with raw vegetables.

I also like to make a salad of sliced cucumbers and onions mixed with sour cream and freshly ground pepper.

That's all I can think of offhand.
4th mini goal, to be 135 - my goal weight.
beachbumwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tennessee
WOE: Low carb, high protein
Start Date: 10/21/2005 restart 7/15/08
slice, salt and drain cucumbers. Mix sour cream and dill, add cucumber and put in the fridge until very cold. A quick, easy side dish
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gpisabela
Stats: 238/194/normal
WOE: Atkins-like low carb
Start Date: March 2005
I make my own sour cream, with wipping cream and yogourt starter. I bought sour cream from the store, but it's just not like the one at home (eastern europe), plus I have yet to find one without added starch, plus the organic one is harder to find.

I love creamy chicken made with sour cream and dill. Simmer together on medium in a thick pot a little bit of veg oil, one chicken cut in pieces, one big diced onion and salt until the chicken is done and the sauce is reduced. Don't add extra water, unless all the water in the sauce is gone and it starts to fry. Dilute one cup of sour cream with some sauce then pour it over the chicken, mix, let come to a boil and remove from heat. Add chopped fresh dill and some pepper to taste. Also, I just learned (I visited my mom this spring) that you can add roasted peppers to this dish - not too many, 2-3 roasted peeled and diced. Serve over your favorite "noodles" or puree.

A traditional way to enjoy sour cream in my native country is with farmers cheese. That's (I guess) cottage cheese drained a little bit more. Mix them well together, add some salt and some finely chopped onion or scallion. Traditionally eaten with polenta, but because of LC, I just dip in it whatever LC.

You can also prepare many vegetables in a sour cream sauce like zuchinni, green beans, roasted peppers, spinach. Just follow directions for the chicken, with or without dill.

Also, you can add sour cream to your fav clear (I mean, not thickened) chicken soup or vegetable soup, right before serving. Much better than just cream. And so on...
gpisabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeighDear
No actual recipe, but I make a caramelized onion and Blue Cheese dip that is KILLER.....

Ok, NOT for Induction, because of the onions....And I don't actually measure anything....it's a YMMV kinda recipe......You taste & adjust as you go....

4 cups thinly sliced Spanish Onions
4 tbs. butter
1 Cup Mayo
1 Cup Sour cream
3/4 Cup Blue cheese crumbles

Sautee onions in butter on med-low heat for a LONG ASS time....usually takes at LEAST 30 minutes of screwin' with them to get the right golden-brown level of caramelization....Let cool

Mix the Mayo, Sour Cream, caramelized onions and Blue cheese crumbles in a BIG bowl.....mash & smoosh it all around for a while.....add a little salt & fresh ground pepper....mush around a while longer & taste it.....decide what else IT needs....

If you figure IT out, then add IT..(Some garlic is good).....If you think it tastes just right, scrape it into a bowl & serve it with sliced veggies (for the low-carbers) or chips (for the carb-slackers)

I swear, you will end up in front of your fridge at 1:00 am, with a spoon, eating this stuff out of the serving bowl....
LeighDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighDear
No actual recipe, but I make a caramelized onion and Blue Cheese dip that is KILLER.....

Ok, NOT for Induction, because of the onions....And I don't actually measure anything....it's a YMMV kinda recipe......You taste & adjust as you go....

4 cups thinly sliced Spanish Onions
4 tbs. butter
1 Cup Mayo
1 Cup Sour cream
3/4 Cup Blue cheese crumbles

Sautee onions in butter on med-low heat for a LONG ASS time....usually takes at LEAST 30 minutes of screwin' with them to get the right golden-brown level of caramelization....Let cool

Mix the Mayo, Sour Cream, caramelized onions and Blue cheese crumbles in a BIG bowl.....mash & smoosh it all around for a while.....add a little salt & fresh ground pepper....mush around a while longer & taste it.....decide what else IT needs....

If you figure IT out, then add IT..(Some garlic is good).....If you think it tastes just right, scrape it into a bowl & serve it with sliced veggies (for the low-carbers) or chips (for the carb-slackers)

I swear, you will end up in front of your fridge at 1:00 am, with a spoon, eating this stuff out of the serving bowl....
Ahhhh, that sounds delicious!! Thank you for sharing. I think I'll make this with feta as I'm out of blue cheese. Can't wait to try it.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
All great suggestions! I really enjoy Beef Stroganoff and Chicken Paprikash too...although I haven't had these in a while!
underHiswing is offline   Reply With Quote