Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 05:44 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/130
WOE: Low carb & actos
Start Date: 3/05
Beans???

Aren't beans high in carbs? What kind do you eat and how often? I love beans!!!
Sassay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2006, 06:01 AM   #2

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Black Soy Beans are quite low in carbs. Fresh snap green beans are only about 4 carbs per cup also.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:02 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

So I take it pintos, white and baby limas are out, even cooked fresh? 8-(
Old 07-20-2006, 06:06 AM   #4

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
according to USDA raw mature pinto bean are 91 net carbs per cup
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the bad news...heavy sigh. By the way I know what Quandro omni flunkus mortiati means and I agree...8-)
Old 07-20-2006, 09:14 AM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
Yeah, one thing we do miss is white beans cooked with lots of ham in it. But those are the only ones we ate alot.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
Once you work your way up the carb ladder, you'll find that you can make legumes on occassion and not be the worse for wear. Obviously, it depends on the person and what else you eat but I've found beans ok while "low carb" products - not so much. Or instead of "cheating" - make an old favorite (lc'ed of course) and have it once. It's a woe or wol not a diet. You need to make it work not just for weight loss but for the hard part - maintenance.
Davian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I've discovered the small red beans are pretty low carb - the ones I bought dried worked out to 8 carbs per half cup, as I recall. I also recently bought some Eden canned small red beans and I think they're pretty close to that amount.

Half a cup, if you cook it with a bunch of meat for chili or whatever, actually is a very nice serving.

I'm in maintenance and enjoy my beans every now and then!

I also have the Eden canned black soybeans, but I'm cutting way back on the amount of soy products I eat so use them sparingly; plus, they are such hard little buggers to get tender.

The small red beans have a nice creamy interior that I really prefer.

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Luvmykidz
Stats: 165/baby due May'08/140 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb hybrid
Start Date: June 2006 after 4th baby
Beans are not evil. They are high in protein and fiber as well as carbs. Unless you are very carb sensitive (or on a plan that absolutely forbids beans) you should be able to work them in sometimes.

The 1 cup=91 net carbs can be a tad misleading, because a serving of cooked beans is generally considered 1/2 cup.

Depending on the type of bean, you can be getting more fiber, which reduces the total net carb count.

I have 3 cans of beans in front of me, and they all are slightly different.

for each 1/2 cup serving of drained, canned beans:
Red Kidney 110 calories, 20g carbs, 6g fiber 14g net carbs
Pinto 120 calories, 22g carbs, 8g fiber 14g net carbs
Black 110 calories, 20g carbs, 7g fiber 13g net carbs

My parents eat low carb and make a wonderful pork soup with about 1/2 -3/4 cup black beans in the entire pot. If the recipe makes 4 servings, then there is only about 5 net carbs from the beans in each serving (using the 3/4c measure)

Baked beans could be made just by reversing the proportion of ham to beans. Use a few beans and more ham.

Chili or other soups could still contain beans, just be aware of how many servings the recipe contains in proportion to how many servings of beans you add. It often works out to be a very small amount.

I don't want to tempt anyone to do what is not right for them personally, but there is no reason to avoid beans totally if you really enjoy them (unless you are strict Atkins or something).

If your body can handle the carb load, why not enjoy? It is a world better than choosing chips or cake.
[COLOR="Teal"]~I will live in the moment, with my eye on Eternity~[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"] Happy Tapper since 7-21-06 [/COLOR]

My Stray Thoughts
http://www.******.com/WebFit/PublicJ...ner=Luvmykidz2
Luvmykidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:51 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
Yea, my true love the big ol' Lima Bean I can only eat 3 times a year But when I do I savor the heck out of them
I do eat at least 1 time a week Edens Black Soy Beans, w/a bit of low carb catsup, s.f. honey, bit of onion powder and a few chopped up jalapenos and they are the bomb or in Chili very good.
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:55 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
I eat beans occasionally and have had no problems, but like everyone says, eat the half cup or whatever you can get away with for your carb count.

I pretty much refuse to give up the foods I love, but I still want the benefits of feeling better and losing weight, so I try and come up with substitutes whenever I can.

For me, feeling deprived or feeling that I cannot have something is the sure-fire way to get me rolling towards high carb, so I give into to that higher carb food temptation occasionally--I figure it's the lesser of two evils.
Not that what I do is right or anything--just saying it works for me. You have to go with what works for you. Mostly, it's trial and error for my WOL.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:04 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Watch out for canned kidney beans. They're usually canned in a sugar syrup.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:52 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Here's some more news on the positive side: most beans are very high in digestion resistant starch, which reaches the large intestine undigested and is treated by the body like fiber--even though it isn't listed as fiber. So to get the real net carb count for a food that has resistant starch (and a slew of foods do) you actually need to subtract resistant starch as well as fiber from the total carb count. The starch portion of the carb count in black beans is about 40% resistant, and I think I figured a while back that a half cup cooked would have 6-8 net grams of carb. (Can't guarantee that.) Black beans are probubly the highest in resistant starch. (Products like Carbquick and Dreamfields also utilize resistant starch--in their case it's "cultivated.")
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue
Watch out for canned kidney beans. They're usually canned in a sugar syrup.
Huh, your right. I never checked before. I always rinse my canned beans, though, so I probably have not done too much damage.

I wonder why the sugar?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher
Here's some more news on the positive side: most beans are very high in digestion resistant starch, which reaches the large intestine undigested and is treated by the body like fiber--even though it isn't listed as fiber. So to get the real net carb count for a food that has resistant starch (and a slew of foods do) you actually need to subtract resistant starch as well as fiber from the total carb count. The starch portion of the carb count in black beans is about 40% resistant, and I think I figured a while back that a half cup cooked would have 6-8 net grams of carb. (Can't guarantee that.) Black beans are probubly the highest in resistant starch. (Products like Carbquick and Dreamfields also utilize resistant starch--in their case it's "cultivated.")

Very interesting. And it makes sense too. That is probably why so many people get windy when eating a lot of beans--because their body is not totally digesting and absorbing them?

Also, that supposed "starch blocker" phaseolamine (sp) is some extract from a kind of bean.