Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lmatkins
Key Lime Pie Ingredients - Legal?

Hey! So I posted a while ago that the main craving I have during induction is for key lime pie LOL. I don't know why, but sometimes I REALLY want a piece of key lime pie!

I was led to a website with TONS of awsome low carb recipies, and on there were a number of recipies for low carb key lime pie.

I had a couple of questions though - why do all of them require lime flavored sugar free jello?

I looked online at Foodnetwork.com and found a traditional recipie for key lime pie and it looked like the only non-legal item in the ingredients (besides sugar which I could sub for splenda) was sweetened condensed milk.

I was wondering if anybody had heard of / tried to make low carb key lime pie that didn't involve using lime jello. Do you think I could try using maybe a mix of softened creme cheese and heavy cream (with a packet of splenda) to mimic the consistency of the condensed milk?

Just wondering if anybody out there had attempted to make this and I was curious as to what you all did!! Thanks!!
lmatkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
I'm with you on the lime jello...

Here are a couple of recipes you could try. I haven't tried the first recipe, but I have made the Lemony Angel Pie, and we were very happy with the way it tasted. You could substitute key lime juice and zest for the lemon, since that is what you are craving.

Tropical Key Lime Pie

Lemony Angel Pie
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I just made a No-Bake Key Lime Cheesecake a week or so ago and it was delicious and easy to make. However, it lacked the condensed milk flavor of the real thing. I have an idea for something to try next time though. I might add a little powdered whole milk to the mix and see if that does the trick. A tablespoon of dry milk would only had a little over 2 carbs to the recipe so I think it's worth a try. I might also try adding some lime juice, zest and powdered milk to my Mom's Cheese Pie and see if that might come out closer to real key lime pie. Since there is no liquid in that recipe, I might have to dissolve the milk powder in a little water first.

By the way, I found the dry whole milk powder in the Mexican food section at Wal-Mart. It's been sitting in my pantry for ages just waiting for something to use it in.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CGSF
Try the Cheese Cake Factory low carb cheesecake from the recipe area. Substitute 1/2 cup lime juice for the lemon juice. I add the zest of a lime and make it without a crust. It's very good.

If you need a topping in it, I imagine whipped cream with splenda would do nicely...

319 cals
28 g fat
6 g carbs
1 g fiber

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipe...8/cat/6/page/1

Last edited by CGSF; 07-10-2006 at 06:35 PM..
CGSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCfan03
WOE: Atkins or just low carb in general
Start Date: June 2003
I used DaVinci SF Lemon Syrup on Yocheese and topped it with whipped cream and it tasted EXACTLY like key lime pie. I wasn't going for that taste, I just noticed it after I made it. Heavenly.
LCfan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bradley
There are several low carb condensed milk recipes online, I googled this one and found it on LowCarb Luxury's site..Never tried it, I wonder if you could use liquid sweetener to cut back on the carbs, or if the Splenda plays a role in the consistancy?
Low Carb Condensed Milk
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lmatkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley
There are several low carb condensed milk recipes online, I googled this one and found it on LowCarb Luxury's site..Never tried it, I wonder if you could use liquid sweetener to cut back on the carbs, or if the Splenda plays a role in the consistancy?
Low Carb Condensed Milk

Thank you!! I'll definately give that a try!!!!!!!!
lmatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:42 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
The only recipe I've used that statisfied me is using Scott123's version of SCM and my reg recipe for Key Lime Pie, egg yolks, lime juice and more sweetener, as mine needed it.

I used a pecan meal crust which tasted yummy, but didn't stay separated from the filling to my taste.

Whipped cream on the top.

But the taste was spot on.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue
I might add a little powdered whole milk to the mix and see if that does the trick. A tablespoon of dry milk would only had a little over 2 carbs to the recipe so I think it's worth a try.
Condensed milk is a pretty concentrated form of milk. A tablespoon will give you a little bit of milkiness, but not much. By the time you get the reach the right level of milkiness, the lactose carbs get pretty high. That's why I developed my milk protein version.

Lmatkins, I've long contested that cooked egg yolks taste nothing like condensed milk, which is why I came up with my own version.

Magnamater, I must have missed something. Did you post your key lime pie recipe?
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Scott, I used the standard SCM recipe of:

4 large or extra large egg yolks
one recipe of Scotto SCM (pardon the pun)
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice (approximately 12 Key limes)
1/2 t. lemon oil
1/2 t. key lime extract
extra sweetener to taste your choice, as it is still TART!

Use an electric mixer and beat the egg yolks until they are thick and turn to a light yellow, don't over mix. Turn the mixer off and add the sweetened condensed milk. Turn speed to low and mix in half of the lime juice. Once the juice is incorporated add the other half of the juice and the flavorings, continue to mix until blended (just a few seconds). Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake at 350F for 12 minutes to set the yolks and kill any salmonella in the eggs.

I used a pecan meal crust, which didn't work perfectly, as some of the prebaked crust mingled with the key lime filling, not pretty.

I squirted each serving with LOL Sugar Free Whipped Cream.

It was WAY better the 2nd day, there was a graininess which improved with a day's refrigeration.

This is the holy grail of key lime pie, IMHO!

Now to caramalize the Scotto SCM!!!!

Custard cup of the stuff in a bain marie? or in a double boiler?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Hmmmm... graininess. That's the casein. It improved with a day's refrigeration? Interesting... As much as I hate having to dirty to a blender, I think the SCM is going to have to be blended.

Quote:
extra sweetener to taste your choice, as it is still TART!
Was this recipe still tart when you used to make it with real condensed milk?

If you liked everything about the pecan meal crust with the exception of the mingling, you might be able to prevent the mingling by using a pastry brush to paint a very light egg wash over the crust and then baking it. Taterhead's crust seems to be a big hit with my pecan pie filling. You might give that a shot. Also, I've seen a carbalose/resistant starch crust in another forum that looked amazing.

The casein SCM should caramelize. You should be able to do it in a regular saucepan, on medium heat, stirring frequently. You could probably even do it on medium high or even high with the right stirring implement. Instead of using a spoon to stir sauces, I use a slotted pancake turner with a straight edge to it so that I make contact with more of the saucepan with every stir.

Last edited by scott123; 07-12-2006 at 12:12 PM..
Old 07-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you can credit the creator of the recipe can you post the carbalose/wpi recipe?

Too late, already made another but made it with half almond meal half golden flax seed meal. Same problem, cosmetic. NEXT time I will try the egg wash.

Not letting the crust completely cool is probably another. It is so hot in Texas that heating the oven is something I limit. . .so I don't wait very long. . .and put it back into the oven with the filling.

I think the limes are especially tart. . .so that may be a factor, and MAYBE the SCM doesn't have the sweetness legs of the sugary thing. If I make sense to you.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
ohr
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohr
Scott123, would you print your version on scm? Thanks
ohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

LC Sweetened Condensed Milk

1/3 C minus 1 t. Instant Calcium Caseinate
1 T. Whey Protein Isolate
1/3 C. + 1 T. heavy cream
1/4 C. minus 1 t. water
3/16 t. salt
3/4 C. Polyd
1/4 C. Granular Splenda Equivalent
1/4 C. Erythritol
1 Packet Sweet One Ace K

Yield: 1 14 oz. can equivalent

Make a syrup with the polyd, erythritol and the water- microwave in a glass cup until the polyd/e are dissolved. Set aside until room temp, add heavy cream. Combine remaining dry ingredients and either sift or whisk in a bowl to mix thoroughly. Combine dry with wet and quickly mix to incorporate. This will thicken as the casein hydrates.

Notes

One issue that I've found with the instant calcium caseinate that I've been using is that, once hydrated, the particle size is a little large. This shouldn't matter for something thickened like pie, but for a condensed milk drink, it might be noticedable. At some point I will develop a blended recipe. The tricky part is the cream. I want to blend it without whipping the cream. The water may help as I think will heat.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Crust (by Kevinpa)

2/3 c. + 2 T. shortening (I used crisco green with no trans fats)
1 1/2 c. Carbalose flour
1/2 c. resistant wheat starch
4 T. + 2 t. cold water
Cut shortening into flour until the particles are like small peas.
Sprinkle in water, 1 T. at a time tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry is clinging to the side of the bowl.

Roll out between 2 lightly dusted(WPI) sheets of wax paper.

(4.5 carb per serving for crust)
Old 07-12-2006, 03:26 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Scott, I think I found the recipe for the graham cracker type of crust you were talking about.

I love hunting on the 'net!

And I think the egg wash will solve my prob., as will letting the crust cool more

DH and I don't mind the appearance, but for company I'd want prettier.

Curious as to when you'd use the blender. . .on the SCM. . .
Old 07-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Scott, now I have two recipes for crust by Kevinpa!
Old 07-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Right now I'm thinking I might blend the water, cream and the casein, then add the polyd/e and nuke it until the polyd/e are melted.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Here is my version of a Mock Graham Cracker Crust

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/8 t. Sweetzfree (tapped) approx 12 or 13 drops (1/2 c. sweetener)
2 T. granular erythritol
1 egg (1 carb)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup almond flour (6 carbs)
3 T. wheat protein isolate 5000 (1 carb)
1 T. resistant wheat starch (1 carb)
1 T. wheat bran (1 carb)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, egg, Sweetzfree and vanilla till well combined.
Combine dry ingredients and add to butter mixture; beat until combined and smooth.
Scoop a tablespoon of dough and place on greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Note: I made 6 cookies as equal as I could and browned them to be as crunchy as I could to help with the next step.

Each of the 6 cookies makes about 1/4 c. of crumbs so depending on what size crust you are making,
you will use 5 cookies for an 8 inch or 6 cookies for a 9 inch crust.

If you make an 8 inch crust then you get a free cookie to eat while you are making the crust .

In a small mixing bowl combined 1/4 c. of melted butter with the crumbs from 5 cookies (approx. 1 1/4 c.)
for a 8 inch crust or 1/3 c. of melted butter with the crumbs from 6 cookies (approx. 1 1/2 c.) for a 9 inch crust.
In my opinion the crumbs at this point were sweet enough but you might want to test to see if it suits the sweetness of what you are making and adjust to taste.

Press mixture firmly against bottom and side of pie plate.
Bake in a 350 oven 10 to 12 min.

A Nabisco double square graham cracker is 20 carbs.
To make an 8 inch crust takes 8 double square graham cracker or 160 carbs.
To make a 9 inch crust takes 10 double square graham cracker or 200 carbs.
My Low-carb version is 8 carbs for an 8 inch crust or 10 carbs for a 9 in crust.

Variation:
To make a chocolate flavor crust add the following to the above recipe.

1 oz. (1 square)unsweetened bakers chocolate (finely grated)
4 drops sweetzfree
1/2 packet sweet one

add these ingredients as is to the butter mixture above before combining with the dry ingredients.

this adds about 4 carbs to the crust.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Kevinpa; 07-12-2006 at 04:55 PM..
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Kevinpa, I became acquainted with your work in the kitchen today surfing the web, and I'm very impressed.

I'm glad that people over here are going to get to know what you do and create.

And I'm looking forward to seeing you post your recipes here.

I'm especially interested in finding out about your work with carbalose and wpi or resistant wheat starch. Lots to learn about there.

So please, continue to share! If you will!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Here is my version of a Mock Graham Cracker Crust

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/8 t. Sweetzfree (tapped) approx 12 or 13 drops (1/2 c. sweetener)
2 T. granular erythritol
1 egg (1 carb)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup almond flour (6 carbs)
3 T. wheat protein isolate 5000 (1 carb)
1 T. resistant wheat starch (1 carb)
1 T. wheat bran (1 carb)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, egg, Sweetzfree and vanilla till well combined.
Combine dry ingredients and add to butter mixture; beat until combined and smooth.
Scoop a tablespoon of dough and place on greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Note: I made 6 cookies as equal as I could and browned them to be as crunchy as I could to help with the next step.

Each of the 6 cookies makes about 1/4 c. of crumbs so depending on what size crust you are making,
you will use 5 cookies for an 8 inch or 6 cookies for a 9 inch crust.

If you make an 8 inch crust then you get a free cookie to eat while you are making the crust .

In a small mixing bowl combined 1/4 c. of melted butter with the crumbs from 5 cookies (approx. 1 1/4 c.)
for a 8 inch crust or 1/3 c. of melted butter with the crumbs from 6 cookies (approx. 1 1/2 c.) for a 9 inch crust.
In my opinion the crumbs at this point were sweet enough but you might want to test to see if it suits the sweetness of what you are making and adjust to taste.

Press mixture firmly against bottom and side of pie plate.
Bake in a 350 oven 10 to 12 min.

A Nabisco double square graham cracker is 20 carbs.
To make an 8 inch crust takes 8 double square graham cracker or 160 carbs.
To make a 9 inch crust takes 10 double square graham cracker or 200 carbs.
My Low-carb version is 8 carbs for an 8 inch crust or 10 carbs for a 9 in crust.

Variation:
To make a chocolate flavor crust add the following to the above recipe.

1 oz. (1 square)unsweetened bakers chocolate (finely grated)
4 drops sweetzfree
1/2 packet sweet one

add these ingredients as is to the butter mixture above before combining with the dry ingredients.

this adds about 4 carbs to the crust.

Enjoy!
Kevin, would you sub your cake/cookie flour blend if you were making this today? like 1 cup plus 1 T. flour blend, or would you add the wheat brand (1 T. to 1 cup flour blend? or just follow the recipe?

TIA!

BTW, just asking about your thought process. . .no need to bake this for my benefit.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL, I just saw in rereading the thread. . .that this thread was your intro to LCF, thought it had been much longer ago. . .you've done so much while at LCF! Time passes quickly when you're having fun.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Kevin, would you sub your cake/cookie flour blend if you were making this today? like 1 cup plus 1 T. flour blend, or would you add the wheat brand (1 T. to 1 cup flour blend? or just follow the recipe?

TIA!

BTW, just asking about your thought process. . .no need to bake this for my benefit.
Janie, the last time I made one of these crusts was near the end of June for a chocolate pudding pie and I did not use my flour mix then. This is one of the few that I have not tried. I do remember once making it with the original recipe and was out of wheat bran and it still turned out ok. If I were to predict I'd say it would work ok with the mix also.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote