Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: teachcool
Stats: 215/200/185
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2006
Need recipe for zuchinni bread..

Hi All,
I can usually find what I need in the recipe section, but not this tme. I need your favorite recipe for zuchinni bread or any recipe you care to share that uses zuchinni as an ingredient. My squash is just now coming in and I'm craving bread and muffins so come on; lets have your best recipe!
teachcool is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I have not done this, but what about using zucchini instead of pumpkin in "Dottie's Pumpkin Pound Cake"

http://users3.ev1.net/%7EFONTLADY/pu...poundcake.html

I also love to make zucchini latkes. I mix one grated zucchini with one egg and add whatever seasonings (usually something like minced onion, grated cheddar cheese or parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt n pepper). Then fry like a pancake in a pan. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

Don't forget that you can use a vegetable peeler or one of those cool little Julliene peelers to make "noodles" from the zucchini. Sautee 'em up! They are great with just butter, salt, and pepper... or you can add some sort of tomato or alfredo sauce... can also add other diced veggies and meat.

Last edited by Strawberry; 07-01-2006 at 09:23 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
If you do a google search for "low carb zucchini bread" you will come up with alot of recipes!

Here is one from Dana Carpenter's Hold the Toast site:

Zucchini Bread
Many low carbers tell me they miss having "a little something" with a cup of coffee or tea for breakfast, and express a profound weariness with eggs. Here's something for you! This Zucchini Bread is moist, sweet, cinnamon-y, and delicious - not to mention being low carb, and having as much protein per slice as a couple of eggs!

Zucchini Bread

1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup sugar-free imitation honey
2 eggs
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 cup ground pumpkin seeds
1 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup Splenda granular
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about one 6-inch zucchini)

Preheat the oven to 350.

In a good-sized mixing bowl, combine the oil, imitation honey, eggs, and yogurt. Whisk these together. Now, in a second bowl, measure the dry ingredients: the ground pumpkin seeds, vanilla whey protein powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and Splenda. Stir them together, making sure any little lumps of baking soda get broken up. Now whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir just until everything is well-combined; no need for prolonged beating. Finally, stir in the walnuts and the shredded zucchini, mixing well.

Pour into a loaf pan you've sprayed well with non-stick cooking spray - my loaf pan is large, 5" x 9". Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack for cooling.

About 16 slices, and quite delicious! Per Serving (not including the polyols from the imitation honey): 194 Calories; 14g Fat, 14g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber - for a usable carb count of just 3 grams a slice.

Notes:

* Sugar free imitation honey is becoming more and more available, and a useful little product it is - in this recipe it adds some extra moisture. I can get sugar-free imitation honey here in Bloomington at my local Marsh grocery store, and I've heard that WalMart now carries a brand. For that matter, many of the low carb etailers carry Steele's brand of imitation honey. In short, it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on some. However, if you can't, just use 1/4 cup more Splenda, and be careful not to over-bake your bread.

* Speaking of Splenda, it's important to know that Splenda granular - the stuff that comes in bulk, in a box or the new "baker's bag" - is different than the stuff that comes in the little packets. The stuff in the packets is considerably sweeter, apparently. All my Splenda measurements are for granular Splenda. I'm afraid I don't have the packets on hand (I've never purchased them) so I can't work a conversion for you. Take a look at the box, and see how many teaspoons of sugar each packet equals, and work from there, remembering that there are 48 teaspoons in a cup.

* Just about every health food store on the planet carries shelled, raw pumpkin seeds. I've been using them a lot in place of the ground almonds or hazelnuts I've often used in the past, partly because they're cheaper and more nutritious than nuts, and partly because a lot of people write me regarding nut allergies, wanting to know what they can substitute. The pumpkin seed meal has worked beautifully in every recipe I've tried so far! Just grind them in your food processor, using the S-blade, until they're about the consistency of cornmeal.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannie
WOE: LC/allergies
Start Date: restarted Oct 4, 03
We love this one!

Chocolate Chip Orange Zucchini Bread

4 eggs
1 cup splenda or equivalent liquid
liquid stevia to equal 1 Tbsp. sugar sweetness
1 cup oil, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. orange oil
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts-(optional)
1 cup sugar free semisweet chocolate chips-(optional)
1 Tablespoon orange zest
3 cups LC flour ***
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg -(optional)

Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices.

In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add splenda, and Stevia and continue beating until well blended. Stir in oil, vanilla, orange oil, zucchini, nuts, chocolate chips, and orange rind. Blend in sifted ingredients. Turn batter into a greased 9 x 5 inch or two 3x5 inch loaf pans or 12 muffin cups.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 (25 min. for 3x5 and 22 min. for muffins) minutes, or until bread tests done. Remove from pan, and cool.

*** You could use any bake mix or combo of flours you prefer, I used 1 cup flax meal, 1 cup almond flour, 3/4 cups plus 2 Tbsp. natural Soy Protein Isolate and 2 Tbsp. Sifted coconut flour.
Deannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
Tweaked version of Deannie's recipe:

Used 2 1/2 cups CQ, 1/2 cup VWGluten is the biggest tweak, combo of Coconut oil and Butter for Oil.....just a few other minor ones, like using 1/4 cup Coconut DaVinci as part of the Sweetener, NO chocolate chips, but extra Orange zest.. this is a good recipe to play with.

Thanks, Deannie

I like Muffins, and this Recipe made EIGHT Large ones. I began with a Lg. SIX -cup tin, had to get out another one for the extra batter..
(Muffins large enough to split and share with DH, so it makes 16 servings)

Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 07-03-2006 at 01:34 PM..
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

You're welcome, shawnee. Glad you could use the recipe. They look beautiful and I know they taste wonderful too.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
MMMM, that looks like YUM!!

Another one for the file "to try soon"

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Deannie, where do you get orange oil? It's not the same as orange extract is it? What other things can you use it in? Your recipe sounds great and different than my usual zucchini bread/muffin recipe, I'd like to give it a try when the zucchinis are ready. Pictures look wonderful, Shawnee!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I got my orange oil from the bakerscatalogue. No it is not the same as extract. It has a stronger flavor and in my opinion it is just a better flavor. Dh loves it or lemon oil in yogurt and I also use it to flavor cheesecakes.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

DELICIOUS NEW MUFFIN RECIPE

This is a new (to us) recipe that I tweaked from Mass recipes and tried for the first time today. The taste is fantastic!, at least to us, but they were crumbly so next time I will use some protein powder to help hold them together. Mild, slightly nutty (from the almond flour?) and with the tiniest hint of sweetness. Dh said they would go wonderfully with his bacon and eggs.

If you try these with Cq or Carbalose I want to suggest you incorporate at least some almond flour to give them the nutty flavor.

Dilly Zucchini Ricotta Muffins

Yield: 12 servings

1 1/2 c LC Flour blend of choice **
1/4 c cream or half and half
2 tb splenda (used 3 drops Sweetz and mixed with liquids)
1/2 c Butter/oil, Melted (used coconut oil)
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
2 Large Eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c Ricotta Cheese
3/4 tsp Dill weed
1/2 c Shredded Zucchini

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line with paper baking cups or grease, 12 (I got 8 really full cups) muffin-pan cups. In large bowl, combine flour, splenda, baking powder, salt and dill weed, mix well. In medium bowl combine cream, butter and eggs. Stir in ricotta cheese and zucchini, beat well. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened (Batter will be stiff, and I had to add 1/4 c. water probably because of the coconut flour). Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3rds full. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan and serve.

** used 3/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp. almond flour, 1/2 c. flax meal, 2 Tbsp sifted coconut flour

Hope you Enjoy! as we did.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Deannie, this new one looks good

I sure agree, I think the addition of Nut flour to other flours/meals, especially CQ, would provide that "kick it up a notch" for this type of recipe..

Also, if using CQ, I'd add some Vanilla extract ...(a habit I've gotten into)

btw, Thanks for the nice compliments re pics, Y'all

Had 1/2 Muffin with coffee this AM...LOL, as usual, the flavor and texture's even better the second day...

Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 07-04-2006 at 10:50 AM..
Old 07-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Deannie, back to the orange oil again - could I just leave it out or is it necessary to the recipe?

The new recipe you posted also looks good, I wouldn't think of adding dill weed to a muffin recipe. Will add it to my recipes to try. Actually I have all the ingredients for that one so maybe I'll try it first.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

katcha, you could leave the orange oil out. The original recipe didn't include it. It just gives the bread extra flavor. HTH

I had had dill in a yeast bread years ago and liked it. That's why I decided to try this one when I came across it. Turns out I still like it.

I'm happy to share recipes that others enjoy too. If you try either please let us know how you liked it and how you might have changed it to suit your tastes/needs.

Last edited by Deannie; 07-04-2006 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention the dill, memory's going-haha
Old 07-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
All these recipes sound so good. I'm favoring yours, Deannie cuz I like the idea of orange and chocolate, but I think I'll try them all, eventually. Yum!! Great pics too Shawneesioux.

I have been looking forever for a muffin for breakfast. Thank you all for this recipe.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 07-04-2006 at 06:07 PM..
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Can't wait to try some. . .don't grow zucchini, but don't like the bitterness of it usually except in breads, etc.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:06 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
Sorry, I'm getting away from the bread discussion here. Teachcool also wanted other recipes where zucchini is an ingredient. I highly recommend Linda Sue's cabage roll pie and substitute thinly sliced zucchini for the cabbage (although it is good with the cabbage too!)
http://users3.ev1.net/~FONTLADY/cabbage_roll_pie.html
It reminds me very much of a zucchini casserole I used to have pre-LC.

Tim
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:39 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
LC Zucchini Pecan Bread

LC Zucchini Pecan Bread

11 T. Almond Flour (8.25 carbs)
11 T. Wheat Protein Isolate 5000 (1.25 carbs)
2 T. Resistant Wheat Starch (2 carbs)
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/4t. coarse sea salt
6 T. Pecans chopped (1.5 carbs)
1 egg
6 t. Coconut Oil
6 T. Sour Cream (3 carbs)
2 T. Half/Half (1 carb)
1/4t. Sweetzfree tapped (1 c. equivalent sweetener)
1 T. Erythritol granular
2 t. Vanilla
1 c. Zucchini shredded & squeezed dry through cheese cloth or tea towel (3 carbs)

In a large bowl combine flours, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pecans. In a different bowl beat egg and beat in oil, add sour cream, half/half, Sweetzfree, erythritol and vanilla. Stir in zucchini. Add in flour mixture and combine till just moistened. Pour into a greased 8x4 inch loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes at 350 degrees till toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.

20 carbs per loaf (2 carbs per slice for 10 generous slices)

Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

[COLOR=Red]Update to my Zucchini Pecan Bread.[/COLOR]

One of the reasons I wanted to make a zucchini bread is when I was young my mother used to make zucchini bread and then after it was cooled she would cut the loaf up into fingers, spread them out on a cookie sheet and bake them on low heat until they were semi-hard crispy crunchy. To me they reminded me of biscotti but not quite as hard.

Anyway with that in mind, I slice the remainder of my bread into fingers and baked in a 275 oven for 20 min on each of the 4 sides of the finger.

Since each finger cookie was 1/2 of a slice of the bread they counted out at 1 carb each.

Yum they are just as delicious as I remember them.....without the guilt.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 07-13-2006 at 01:49 PM..
Old 07-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Kevinpa wrote:
Quandro omni flunkus moritati--

Pretty funny, did you think no one would know what you wrote?
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa
[COLOR=Red]Update to my Zucchini Pecan Bread.[/COLOR]

Yum they are just as delicious as I remember them.....without the guilt.
LOL...CHILDHOOD REVISITED, legal COMFORT FOOD ...a win-win thing, yes?

Pics look YUM, Kevin.

I took some frozen Zuke Muffins on a camping trip to the beach (LOL,... NO roughing it for me, I'm OLD...so took the travel trailer too).. Gotta make more for my next trip.

Happing Baking/ Tweaking, and Experimenting, Y'all

Shawnee
Old 07-15-2006, 10:48 AM   #21
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Kevin..........I made your LC Zucchini Pecan Bread last night. We just LOVED it! I didn't have the Wheat Protein Isolate 5000 so I used Vital Wheat Gluten instead. I subbed canola oil for the coconut oil since I didn't have any of that, either. It came out perfect. Thanks so much for this recipe! I have lots of Zucchini in my garden. I guess I'll be baking lots of bread. Oh, I only baked it for 30 minutes. I almost think it could have come out a few minutes sooner. I used a silpat bread pan. I don't know if that accounts for the shorter baking time. Thanks, again!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
Kevin..........I made your LC Zucchini Pecan Bread last night. We just LOVED it! I didn't have the Wheat Protein Isolate 5000 so I used Vital Wheat Gluten instead. I subbed canola oil for the coconut oil since I didn't have any of that, either. It came out perfect. Thanks so much for this recipe! I have lots of Zucchini in my garden. I guess I'll be baking lots of bread. Oh, I only baked it for 30 minutes. I almost think it could have come out a few minutes sooner. I used a silpat bread pan. I don't know if that accounts for the shorter baking time. Thanks, again!!!
WPI and VWG are pretty close. The WPI has a little more protein in it. I always make bread in glass or pyrex also what rack you bake it on can mean different baking times as well as many other variables. I alway approach baking times with caution the first time I make something till I see how it goes in my oven.
I'm glad you liked it
Old 07-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater
Kevinpa wrote:
Quandro omni flunkus moritati--

Pretty funny, did you think no one would know what you wrote?
I knew you would get it......
Old 07-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shawnee
Old 07-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tennessee
WOE: Low carb, high protein
Start Date: 10/21/2005 restart 7/15/08
very funny
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:35 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Kevinpa, just wanted to let you know that zuchinni bread recipe is wonderful. So moist inside. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Definitely going to be a lot of zuchinni bread this summer.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Trying to lose
Stats: 5'6" 156/139/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July27 2003 - Restart July 5, 2004
I made this yesterday and it was delicous. Thanks Kevinpa!

I took half of the loaf and made the "biscotti" - loved them, too!
Trying to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

bump
Old 07-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iamlindab
Stats: 176/166/100; I am 4' 10"
WOE: Kimkins
Start Date: July 30, 2007
Looks like I am going to have to get some Sweetzfree and Erythritol granular so I can try out Kevin's recipe, it looks very good.
iamlindab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
I have a bunch of zucchini just looking for a use! This looks perfect!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote