Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbredhead
Stats: 185/147/145 old - restart Jan 2009 -198/182/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/1/02 restart 1/09
Boiled Peanuts

Okay you southerners, I've been making these in the crockpot. In moderation they're low carb. I just cook raw peanuts overnight in the crockpot in salted water. Freeze leftovers in ziplock bags and reheat in the microwave.
lowcarbredhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2006, 10:28 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: funnygma
Start Date: 5/5/2004
These are so yummy.

I don't live in the South - but my SIL brought me some - Love Them.

I wish we could get raw peanuts here.
funnygma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
I *love* boiled peanuts... one of the best parts of driving to Disney!

Would bagged raw peanuts from the grocery store work (like the roasted, but they're marked raw...)? No way I'm getting fresh raw ones up here!
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbredhead
Stats: 185/147/145 old - restart Jan 2009 -198/182/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/1/02 restart 1/09
Tha's what I used.

This was the first time I had made them and was shocked to learn how long they had to cook! No wonder my cousin cooks them in a cooker in the basement. I decided to try the crockpot and it worked great.
lowcarbredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:17 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wannabehot
Stats: 225/160/140
Start Date: February 1, 2006
my dh loves these and so do my sons but not me. my dh makes them to he does them in a crock pot too. you can jazz them up anyway you want to to season the water with hot sauce or any other spices. he says they are great!
wannabehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:04 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
I've never heard of boiled peanuts. I've heard of peanut soup, but haven't tried it. I have LOTS of questions. I know peanuts are a legume, so when they are cooked, do they taste like beans? You can add any kind of seasoning/sauce? It was mentioned it takes a long time to cook - how long? How do they serve them in Disney? Would an overnight soaking help to reduce the cooking time? (This is suggested for roasting peanuts in the Traditional Nutrition Cookbook.) Thanks for bringing up the subject!
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
They don't serve them at Disney... we drive down 75, and once you get south of Atlanta, you see billboards and roadside ads for boiled peanuts. It's just a tradition to stop and get them at least once during the trip!

I don't think they taste like beans... they're kind of a mushy peanut. Not a lot of flavor, really. Lots of people hate them. They're cooked in the shell, and you have to eat them hot... they're not good once they're cold (BLECH!). You just pick them up, pop open the shell, and eat the nuts right out of the shell - be sure to have a bag to throw the shells in, and LOTS of paper towels! It's kind of like the opposite of roasting.

They're basically just boiled in salt water (or seasoned salt water)... not really a sauce. I don't know if soaking them would help or not.

ETA: If you wanted to try some, I've found canned boiled peanuts in the grocery store (look either near the nuts, or near the Chinese food). They're not exactly the same, but they'll do for a craving!

Last edited by dizneegirl; 06-23-2006 at 10:33 AM..
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote