Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 02:24 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Autumn
Stats: Restart: 263/246/199 (1st Goal)
WOE: Low Sugar/Low Processed Foods
Start Date: March 2014
Anybody use a Juicer?

I'm a late night infomercial watcher (a rare breed, I know ) and I've seen the one about the Juicer. I know I'm a long ways away from being able to legally drink fruit juices, but I'd like to know if anyone out there uses a juicer regularly and if they'd recommend it? I could use if for vegetables but would rather make apple/orange juice!
Thanks!
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
I had one years ago but got rid of it. It was a lot of trouble to keep clean, too time consuming to use and it was too much of a "sugar" rush for me.
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SNuGGiE
hmmm, on that note does anybody know how to make carrot juice? (w/o a juicer..........if thats possible)
SNuGGiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: sallyT
Stats: 167/142/117
WOE: 50%Atkins/50%SEE FOOD DIET ; )
Start Date: January 2006
I have one and make juice for the kids I add apple/oranges for hubby carrots/beets/celery sometimes I"ll throw in apple and orange with it, very tastie, I don't drink them though, to many carbs for me maybe once I'm at goal I'll have one once in a while.
sallyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Well, I have one... Its a Jack LaLaine (spelling?) model.

It works great, its not that hard to clean. I just rinse and throw it in the dishwasher.

Unfortunately, for low carb, I dont know what I can use it for now except for making fresh tomato juice. Sometimes I add a little celery or cucumber for a interesting different flavor to the tomato juice. Once I added a pickle!
But I dont use it very often now.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNuGGiE
hmmm, on that note does anybody know how to make carrot juice? (w/o a juicer..........if thats possible)
Years ago, I always made carrot juice in my Champion Juicer. I don't really think that you could make the carrot juice without a juicer though...juicers usually extract the juice from the veggies or fruit leaving the pulp behind...at least that's what mine did. You could however put some juice in a blender (LC if you like) and throw in some chopped carrots and process well...albeit you would have "pulpy" kind of juice...or you could just buy some carrot juice!
underHiswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Autumn
Stats: Restart: 263/246/199 (1st Goal)
WOE: Low Sugar/Low Processed Foods
Start Date: March 2014
I did finally buy the Jack Lalang (sp) juicer....and it is a pain to clean! LOL....and expensive to buy fresh fruit and veggies (mostly carrots) But the orange and carrot juice is fantastic. I don't regret buying it...I have always wanted one
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I recommend the Healthmaster by Montel Williams.

It will pulverize the peels and all and makes a very smooth juice, like v8.

Juicers themselves leave a lot of pulp and the skin is where a lot of nutrition is.

You wouldn't pulverize oranges or grapefruits with the peels cuz the pith is so bitter, so just peel them first; but it's okay on lemons and limes and all the other vegetables I have tried.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
I bought one years ago and used it quite a lot. My inspiration was a friend of DH who was able to reverse some fairly severe health problems with it (the one I most remember is arthritis - which prevented him from pursuing his favorite hobbies such as bike-riding, hiking, etc.). He had tons of info and recipes at the time. Last I heard, he's still doing really well and...juicing!

Mine was a cheapy Waring -- less than $100, but worked really well. I bought one for my mother at the same time. She's still using hers. It is time-consuming...all the shopping for fresh fruits/vegetables. Back then I was a little OCD on the washing of them (not nearly so many organic choices as now) and it seemed to take forever. The fresh carrot juice is amazing. I remember how just one apple would make any amount of juiced veggies taste good.

I should probably pull it out again one of these days.
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Phillip
Stats: 218/198/185
WOE: No diet plan. Minimizing Carbs only
Start Date: April 2013
I have the Breville Juice Fountain and enjoy it very much. However, now that I am LC'ing it is difficult to find recipes that don't include carrots. Any thoughts on this?
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Here's a list of the lowest carb vegetables (ranked low to high, I believe) from a diabetes website:

Arugula
Cucumbers
Broccoli raab
Iceberg lettuce
Celery
White mushrooms
Radishes
Turnips
Romaine lettuce
Asparagus
Green pepper
Okra
Cauliflower
Yellow pepper
Cabbage
Red bell pepper
Broccoli
Spinach
Beets
Carrots
Green beans
Kale
Sugar snap peas
Onion
Corn

Back when I was juicing regularly, I didn't really use recipes. I remember celery, cucumbers, spinach, beets, carrots and apples as being among my very favorites. My hairdresser at the time was big into juicing and particularly carrots. His skin turned orange lol.
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote