Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Best Pie Crust recipes?

My sister gave me a recipe, that seems pretty easy to low carb, except for the pie crust. I have seen some floating around here, but would like to know what the best ones are. The recipe says graham cracker, but I think a regular crust, baked would be just as good, so long as it has no 'funky' taste. I have just about any lc ingredients!
The recipe calls for Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk. I just made the Legal Brand/Eagle Brand. Sure looks like Eagle brand!
All I need is a crust recipe, then I can try this out, and post it!
Thanks,
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranke
My sister gave me a recipe, that seems pretty easy to low carb, except for the pie crust. I have seen some floating around here, but would like to know what the best ones are. The recipe says graham cracker, but I think a regular crust, baked would be just as good, so long as it has no 'funky' taste. I have just about any lc ingredients!
The recipe calls for Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk. I just made the Legal Brand/Eagle Brand. Sure looks like Eagle brand!
All I need is a crust recipe, then I can try this out, and post it!
Thanks,
Bette
Go to Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes for pie crust. I made a pie the other day that called for crushed Oreo cookies. I bought the sugar free ones - and the pie was SUPER!!!!

Also - in the beginning of my L/C journey I made pies WITHOUT a crust.

I have a question for YOU! Where can I find the Legal Brand/Eagle Brand recipe???
Barbara Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
i make taters hers is real good
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
My absolute favorite!! I like it with the green can crisco

Taterhead's Carbalose Pie Crust with Char's Tweaks:

2 cups Carbalose Flour
1/2 cup expeller-pressed coconut oil - softened, spread on a plate, frozen and cut into small pieces (Taterhead used green can Crisco)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed and frozen
1/2 cup ice water, added as needed

(Tater also added 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. baking powder but she omitted those two items)

she put the flour into my food processor, added all the cubed fat and pulsed a couple times until the pieces of fat were about the size of small peas. Then she added a couple tablespoons of the icewater, pulsed, and did THAT until it formed a ball on the blades.

Divide dough in half, press into round flat disks, and refrigerate 30 minutes (per Tater) or do it Char's fast way - 15 minutes in the freezer.

Remove and work with one disk at a time, roll between two sheets of plastic wrap until large enough for your 9 or 10" pie plate. Peel off one sheet of plastic, place pie plate over dough and carefully invert into the plate, then gently press dough down into the corners. At this point you can refrigerate or freeze briefly again, then peel off the remaining plastic; she just went ahead and did it without the second cooling, then fluted the edges. Tater also says she brushes the pie crust with eggwhite before filling and baking; she didn't do that, just filled and baked as usual.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:51 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Here is the Legal Brand/Eagle Brand:

[COLOR=Red]I have used this in several recipes that call for Eagle Brand, most recently "Magic Cookie Bars":

Legal Brand

1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons SugarSlim
liquid Splenda equivalent to 2/3 cup sugar
1 cup polydextrose

Bring cream, SugarSlim and Splenda to a slow boil over medium-low heat.

Whisk in polydextrose, slowly, so that cream stays hot enough to dissolve it.
(If you get a clump, just stir for a while to get cream back up to temperature, then continue.)

Remove from heat; allow to cool to room temperature before using.

The whole recipe replaces one can of Eagle Brand.

I don't think you need SugarSlim for this recipe.
I would think any non-Splenda sweetener would work.

If you can not use anything but Splenda, you would
probably need a bit more than 2 Tablespoons, maybe
a quarter cup or more, since there would be no synergy
taking place.

If you can get your hands on some DiabetiSweet, or
Erythritol, you will use about 2 Tablespoons.[/COLOR]

I couldn't find the original post, nor the contributor of the recipe, but this is the recipe that I saved.

Last edited by Bfranke; 06-08-2006 at 03:53 AM..
Old 06-08-2006, 06:12 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Bfranke - Thanks SOOOOOO much for the recipe. Now I'd like to share a recipe in which to use this substitute. I made it with the "real" stuff - was for company so I bit the "carb" bullet. I was scrumptious.

Frozen Marble Swirl Pie

15 SUGAR free Oreo cookies - crushed (put in food processor if you have one)

3 tablespoons butter MELTED

1 tub (8 ozs.) COOL WHIP - thawed, divided

1 cup cold milk (I used Hood's 2%)

1 Package (4 oz) JELL-O) Sugar Free Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding

2 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate (melted) - I melt mine in a double boiler

1/3 cup canned sweetened condensed milk

MIX cookie crumbs and butter; press firmly onto bottom and up side of 9-inch pie plate. Set aside. Remove 1/2 cup of the whipped topping; store in refrigerator until ready to use.

POUR milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mix. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes or until well blended. Gently stir in remaining whipped topping. Spoon into crust. Mix melted chocolate and condensed milk until well blended. Drop in spoonfuls over pie; cut through chocolate mixture with knife for marble effect.

FREEZE 6 hours or overnight until firm. Remove from freezer about 15-20 minutes before serving. Let stand at room temperature to soften slightly. Top with the reserved 1/2 cup whipped topping. Store leftover pie in freezer.

This came from Jell-O Summer Desserts
Old 06-08-2006, 06:48 AM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Barbara Ray, I saw someone had posted a chocolate pie crust, surely to be lower carb than oreos. And using whipped cream instead of the cool whip, would also lower carbs.

Sounds good though.
Thanks for posting.
Bette
Old 06-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
[COLOR=Red] Thanks guys, I didn't know that many had tried my crust. I still have one pie crust disk left in the freezer for when I want a pie. if you search on Tater's Apple Pie, you can see a picture of the crust. I prefer using a pastry cutter over the food processor though, because you want things very cold when making crust. Also, I thought it tasted best when I made a chocolate cream pie with it. [/COLOR]

"Tater's Apple Pie"

Preheat oven to 350*
Pie Crust:
2 cups carbolose flour,(Makes two) plus extra for rolling dough
1/2 cup Crisco (green can) cubed/frozen
1/4 cup butter (cubed/frozen)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup ice water, 1 T at a time

In a mixing bowl cut the crisco/butter, salt and baking powder into the flour with a pastry cutter until it's size of peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of ice water over the mixture and mix just until the dough is moistened. Repeat by adding 6 to 8 tablespoons water (one at a time) until all the dough is just moist and holds together.

Divide the dough in half , form a round flat disk, place in plastic baggy and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Roll in-between plastic wrap into a circle to fit a 9 to 10-inch pie plate. Place back in freezer for a minute to firm back up, then peel back plastic , place on pie plate then peel back the rest of the plastic wrap. I always brush 1 beaten egg white over my crust before adding filling so it won't get soggy.

Filling:
3 Green Golden delicious
3 Jonathans
1/2 cup splenda
1/4 cup E
1 tsp Sweet One
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
dash nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup PolyD
1 T white flour
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
4 T butter

Because PolyD clumps, DON'T mix apple slices with dry sweet mix, instead do a layering. Sprinkle some mix over bottom of pie crust then evenly layer 1/3 of the sliced apples down flat then sprinkle more sweet mix and so on until all apple slices are gone. It should be mounded in the middle, add 4-6 T cold butter. Add top crust,cut 4 slits on top, pinch edges together, brush on milk, sprinkle of E, cover edges with foil or pie edge protector. Place pie on cookie sheet bake for 60-65 minutes, last 15 minutes remove foil or crust protector so edges get color too.

Last edited by Tater Head; 06-08-2006 at 08:30 AM..
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranke
Barbara Ray, I saw someone had posted a chocolate pie crust, surely to be lower carb than oreos. And using whipped cream instead of the cool whip, would also lower carbs.

Sounds good though.
Thanks for posting.
Bette
Thanks for the suggestion. It's just easier to use the cookies and the cool whip when added to other ingredients just has a different consistancy that that of whipped cream. But - again THANKS for the suggestion.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pommie
Stats: 158/125/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2002
Here is a really good pie crust and a good substitute for graham crackers I think.

1 cup almond flour
3 Tbs melted butter
2 tbs splenda

Mix all together and pat down bottom and up sides of a Pam sprayed pie plate. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, but check after 10 minutes, till browned. Cool, then fill with your filling.
pommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:29 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bassetmom
Bette, I made the Legal Brand and only got 3/4 cup (6 oz.) "sweetened condensed milk".. Since a can of the real stuff is 14 oz., does this make a difference when you sub it in recipes? I'm thinking a key lime or lemon pie, this filling would be 1/2 of what a normal one would be. I was wondering if I double it, it might be too sweet? Thanks for any help kathy
My vote is with Tater's pie crust too.
bassetmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I made the Legal Brand, but did not measure it! I used it in the Rhubarb Berry Cheesecake Pie, and it is great. Actually, the recipe said to use a 9" pie dish, and I used a 10", and it is almost running over.
This is the first time that I have made/used it, so don't know about other recipes using this. All I can suggest, is to try it, see what happens.
Bette
Old 06-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bassetmom
Thanks Bette, I'm going to make your recipe tomorrow-sounds wonderful! Thanks again,

Last edited by bassetmom; 06-09-2006 at 04:00 PM..
bassetmom is offline   Reply With Quote