Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Almond Torte..OMGoodness!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/430207-almond-torte-omgoodness.html)

CarolynF 06-01-2006 01:41 PM

Almond Torte..OMGoodness!!

I found this "old" recipe that I used to make all the time..and I LCed it..just
made it...it is absolutely buttery fabulous!!!

Almond Torte

Preheat oven to 325..Grease a 9 inch or 8 inch springform pan

Base:

1 1/3 cup Carbalose
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup Splenda
1/2 cup butter, cut up
1 egg
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 cup any sugar free jam

In a medium bowl, blend butter, egg and extract until smooth using 2 knives,
a large fork or a pie crust blender as for pie crust. Add dry ingredients and continue to blend. Pat into springform pan on the bottom and up the sides
about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Spread jam over the crust and cover with Saran
wrap and refrigerate while making filling.

Filling:

1/2 cup butter, cut up
2/3 cup Splenda
1 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs

Cream butter and Splenda. Stir in almond flour and extracts . Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. Spoon filling over jam and bake at
50 minutes or until top is golden and firm.

Cool torte in pan. Spread 1/4 cup of sfree jam over the top for color.

I have NO idea what the counts are for this..depending on your sweetener..
but it is the best LC coffee cake I have ever made.

LindaSue 06-01-2006 04:55 PM

So, is there actually 1/2 cup of sugar free jam in the recipe? You list 1/4 cup at the beginning to spread over the crust and then later you said to spread 1/4 cup over the top. Would it be possible to leave out one or the other of the 1/4 cups of jam to save carbs?

CarolynF 06-01-2006 08:33 PM

Yes..Linda Sue...you could leave off the top layer of sugar free jam or make it just a thin spread..I really like the one in the middle as it adds a streusel effect and looks
lovely..:)

LindaSue 06-02-2006 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF
Yes..Linda Sue...you could leave off the top layer of sugar free jam or make it just a thin spread..I really like the one in the middle as it adds a streusel effect and looks
lovely..:)

Thanks, Carolyn. I was just thinking that I could maybe heat up a tablespoon of jam to thin it down and drizzle it over the top to make it look pretty. What flavor jam do you like in this coffeecake?

CarolynF 06-02-2006 06:59 AM

I like raspberry jam myself..but apricot would be wonderful, too. You could also sprinkle some slivered almonds on the top while it bakes and forget about the jam on the top..

LSue: If you like this, feel free to put in on your website..

jackieba 06-02-2006 08:19 AM

Sounds delicious but a bit too carby for me now. Maybe when I get to maintenance.
Maybe I miscalculated (I did a quick estimate in my head) but without any SF jam, I came up with about 57 carbs using granular splenda, 41 with liquid splenda. I think Smuckers SF raspberry preserves is 5 carbs per Tblsp so that's another 20 carbs per 1/4 cup used.

CarolynF 06-02-2006 11:01 AM

Yes, Jackie..it is rather carby with the granulated Splenda..and pretty high calorie..about 300 calories per piece, 8 good sized slices. The carbs would be around
9-10 per piece..(less than a piece of bread..when you think of it)..

Tater Head 06-03-2006 09:07 AM

OOOOO, this looks good. What if instead of the other 1/4 cup of jam on top you sprinkled steels powderd sugar and add those slivered almonds to the base before cooking like Carolyn suggested. I bet that would look pretty if you used a paper doily and sprinkle the powdered sugar over it.

CarolynF 06-04-2006 04:20 PM

Debbie: Yummm

Kevinpa 09-13-2006 05:34 PM

bumpity Bump

CarolynF 09-13-2006 06:56 PM

Kevin..I want you to make this and see what you think..You can do some
synergy with all your sweeteners...

Kevinpa 09-13-2006 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 7468384)
Kevin..I want you to make this and see what you think..You can do some
synergy with all your sweeteners...

I need a few things first but I will try it this weekend.....I have been analyzing the recipe.....its very interesting.

CreekWatcher 09-14-2006 06:41 AM

I don't know if it would be worth the trouble (if you're lazy like me), but I bet that rasberry preserves with the taste and texture of regular could be made at home with less than half the carbs of Smucker's. (And incidentally why do they make all that crap the way they do?) With REAL low carb preserves and liquid Splenda, the count might go down to four carbs per serving?

BB in MN 09-17-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinpa (Post 7468492)
I need a few things first but I will try it this weekend.....I have been analyzing the recipe.....its very interesting.

Kevin, Did you ever make this recipe?

Kevinpa 09-17-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB in MN (Post 7482424)
Kevin, Did you ever make this recipe?

Not yet. I am still working on my meals for the week. It is still on my list though.....hopefully this evening.

Kevinpa 09-17-2006 05:51 PM

Ok, as promised here is my stab at this......

12 servings @ 4.5 carbs each

Almond Torte

Preheat oven to 325..Grease a 9 inch springform pan

Base:

1 cup Carbalose plus 1 Tablespoon
1/4 cup resistant wheat starch
1 tsp baking powder
1 T. granular erythritol
1 T. polyD
1 T. isomalt
1/4 cup Splenda (I used sweetzfree)
1/2 cup butter, cut up
1 egg
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 cup Jok n Al sugar free jam

In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients then cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or fork. Mix in egg and extract until smooth.
Turn into springform pan and spread with spatula.
Spread jam over the crust batter and cover with Saran wrap and refrigerate while making filling.

Filling:

1/2 cup butter, cut up
2 T. granular erythritol
2 T. polyD
2 T. isomalt
1/4 cup Splenda(I used sweetzfree)
1 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs

Cream butter and sweeteners. Stir in almond flour and extracts . Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. Spoon filling over jam and bake 50 minutes or until top is golden and firm.

Cool torte in pan. Spread (2 T.of Jok n Al sfree jam and 2 T davinci mixed) over the top for color.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/tort21.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/tort24.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/tort26.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/tort28.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...pa1/tort29.jpg

Brendajm 09-17-2006 06:35 PM

Imade this today too using carolyns recipe,,it is good. I cant wait to have some tomorrow with my morning coffee.. Kevin,,yours looks way prettier than mine did..

CarolynF 09-17-2006 08:21 PM

Kevin: It's beautiful..How did you like it?

Kevinpa 09-17-2006 08:30 PM

I loved the taste of the 2 different cakes. The bottom layer turned out very crusty and the top layer was like a buttery cake. The contrast went well together and the jam added a nice blend.:up:

The next time I make it though I will omit the jam and make the middle and top a nutty streusel......

Charski 09-18-2006 11:42 AM

How about jam in the middle and nutty streusel on top?! MMMMMMMMM!!!

decodiana 09-18-2006 12:46 PM

Kevin,

How did you like the Jok n Al jam by itself? I'm thinking of getting it from Netrition and wanted an opinion...:dunno:

Kevinpa 09-18-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decodiana (Post 7487615)
Kevin,
Diana,
How did you like the Jok n Al jam by itself? I'm thinking of getting it from Netrition and wanted an opinion...:dunno:

I thought they were great. I have tried the blueberry, grape and pineapple so far and liked all three. They are quite a carb savings also from the national brand sf jams and of the same quality.

24Fan 09-18-2006 04:44 PM

Carolyn, yummy recipe and I have all the ingredients! and bonus, it will use up leftover strawberry sf jam I made in 2005 :)

Kevinpa 09-20-2006 12:17 PM

True story. For the 27 year that I have been married to my DW, she has been what I will call a carver. She usually like the crunchy part of the things she eats. I can't tell you how many times I have went to get a piece of dessert only to find all the crunchy parts carved off and a pile of all that is left in the dish. Being less picky I usually clean up the crumbs she has left behind.

The other day when I made this torte I knew I was in trouble when she told me how much she liked the crunchy lower crust especially around the edges.
Well, this morning I woke up to find no edge on 3/4 of the torte after an obvious carving session....:laugh:

Today I made just the bottom crust of this torte and set it on the table with a note saying to leave my torte alone.....:rofl: :hyst:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/DSC00060.jpg

theislandgirl 09-20-2006 12:27 PM

I LIKE your style!

:clap: :high5: :clap:

24Fan 09-21-2006 08:16 AM

Mine just came out of the oven and I gotta say, it's very tasty. I made it almost exactly, minus the extra jam on top. Very good. Thanks for the recipe, Carolyn!

jlatislaw 09-21-2006 11:48 AM

Kevin:
A cooking, baking comedian! Love it! My DH of 43 years is neither, but he's willing to eat whatever I put in front of him - gotta love that.

Charski 09-26-2006 02:19 PM

Bumping up cuz I think I'm gonna make this tonight for a birthday at work tomorrow!

Tweaker Geek 09-26-2006 05:57 PM

Char - hope we get to see the results!:D

Charski 09-26-2006 07:19 PM

Well I opted for a different cake this time but I do want to make this torte soon! It's been calling my name for weeks now....