Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda lou222
Stats: 215/207/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 04/15/2006
Cheesecake Help Needed

I made a cheesecake with the following recipe:

5 8oz cream cheese (softened)
1 cup splenda
5 eggs (room temp)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbl heavy cream

I blended the cream cheese and splenda togther. Slowy added one egg at time and then added the vanilla and cream. Baked it at 350 degrees for one hour and then one hour with the over door ajar.

Okay folks..... It came out with a brown skin on top and a grainy taste. Actually it was pretty disgusting
What did I do wrong???? Any tips or any better recipes? I like a thick New York type of cheese cake - this was just plain gross!

Any suggestions would be great.. Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by Linda lou222; 05-04-2006 at 06:13 PM..
Linda lou222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: trish6103
Stats: I would tell you but I'd have to kill you.
First, your oven was too hot. 300 would be the highest temp I would use for cheesecake, and even then, you need to watch it.
A water bath will do wonders for the texture of your cheesecake. Wrap a large piece of foil around your springform pan so water can't seep in, then place the foil-covered pan in a larger pan of water before baking.
When cooling a cheesecake, patience is a virtue. After it bakes and I turn the oven off (I leave the door closed as to not let cold air in) and leave it overnight. Then I refirgerate it for another 24 hours.
Overmixing could have caused some problems too. You just want to use the beaters enough to mix the eggs and cream cheese.
Hope this helps a bit.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Also make sure all your ingredients are at room temp before starting. And I for sure agree with the water bath! AND the 300* temp too.

I prop the oven door open by sticking a wooden spoon in the door down close to the hinge. I let the cheesecake cool to room temp, then refrigerate at least 24 hours before even THINKING about cutting into it (convincing DH is full-time job for that 24 hours....)

And don't overbake it. It should still wobble a bit in the middle when you prop open the door.

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
This is one I posted on this forum someplace - the texture was awesome!

Char's Decadently Rich PB/Choc Chunk Cheesecake

Crust:
1 cup SF smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup almond or hazelnut meal
1 tsp. (equivalent to 3/4 cup) liquid Splenda
1 extra-large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Filling:
24 ounces cream cheese, at room temp (you want it very soft)
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons DaVinci Sugarfree Peanut Butter syrup
1 teaspoon (equivalent to 3/4 cup) liquid Splenda concentrate
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup SF smooth peanut butter
4 whole extra-large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk, all at room temp
4 ounces chopped SF chocolate - white, milk, or dark

Preheat oven to 350*. Use a 9" springform or removable bottom pan. Spray pan insides well with nonstick cooking spray.

Crust:

Mix together all crust ingredients, press into bottom and about 1" up sides of prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes, until barely starting to brown around the edges. Let cool.

Put pan in center of 2 large pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil; fold up around pan sides to prevent seepage while in the water bath.

Reduce oven temperature to 300*. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Have ready a roasting pan large enough to hold the springform (water bath).

Filling:
With a wire whisk, combine the cream cheese and Splenda until well blended, scraping sides often. Add the vanilla and sour cream. Add peanut butter and whisk til well-blended. When completely mixed (with no lumps), add the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, whisking only until incorporated. Don't overmix - this is a leading cause of cracked cheesecakes and why I prefer the wire whisk to a mixer. Gently blend in your choice of chocolate. Don't overmix - this is a contributing cause of cracked cheesecakes!

Then place the springform pan into the larger roasting pan and place on oven rack - fill the larger pan about halfway with the boiling water. This is called a water bath. It is a gentler way to cook the cheesecake. You can skip this but your cheesecake will be MUCH more likely to crack and will not have the same dense rich texture!

Bake for 1 hour at 300*, then reduce heat to 200 degrees for 1 more hour. Turn oven off, prop door ajar with a wooden spoon, and leave cheesecake in until the oven is completely cool. Remove foil, and refrigerate at least 12 hours - cheesecakes continue to "age" into their flavor so don't be tempted to eat it too soon!

This is a very rich, very dense, moist cheesecake. I made it with SF white chocolate chunks but next time I'd use SF milk or dark for more contrast.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
I know that lots of people like cheesecake made with just cream cheese but it doesn't taste right to me unless it has sour cream in it -- the more the better! -- this helps the texture, too.
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda lou222
Stats: 215/207/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 04/15/2006
Thank you all so much for your help!! I know I will have better luck this time!
Linda lou222 is offline   Reply With Quote