Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Delane
Stats: maintaining my 40#
WOE: moderate to low carb
Start Date: January 2003
Using vital wheat gluten flour.

Has anybody tried Vital wheat gluten flour? As long as you do not have any allergies to it, you can use it for making anything, like bread, cinnamon rolls, noodles, etc. I have been using this flour for 2 years now and I make everything my self. We have been on a low carb diet for over 3 years, I could write a book on what I make. I get my flour local at a bakery, but they take orders and send them. I have 3 sisters and we get together once a week and talk low carb and show and tell on recipes.
It has only 6 carbs for 1/4 c. I used to buy the bread at this local bakery until I had ask her what kind of flour they use in it and she told me about using the gluten and they sold it there. She sells it for $3.92 for 5#. I also get no sugar powdered milk there and make my own milk when I need it for pudding or custard or bread pudding etc.

Last edited by Delane; 04-20-2006 at 10:34 PM..
Delane is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherJanet
Stats: 150/137/120
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delane
We have been on a low carb diet for over 3 years, I could write a book on what I make.
Delane. I look forward to seeing more posts from you. I haven't used vital wheat gluten flour, but it would be a good alternative to soy flour. I never thought of going to the bakery for my supplies, what a good idea. The fact that they deliver to you means you don't have to be tempted by the smell of fresh doughnuts!
HeatherJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
How many carbs in a slice of bread with the recipe you use? And would you share it (the recipe, not the bread)? I haven't used vital wheat gluten, but if I had a good bread recipe that was fairly easy to make, I'd buy it and try it.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hayes2258
Start Date: 01/06/2004
hayes2258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Delane: Gosh...many of us would love your cinnamon roll recipes..

I get Vital Wheat Gluten..from Bob's Red Mill or Hodgson's Mill..but it hard to imagine that it would make great bread all by itself..Maybe you get a special kind that doesn't
have the strong flavor or the rubbery texture..

We are all anxious to hear how you bake with this...
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Is vital wheat gluten the same as vital wheat gluten flour?
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
SugarBabi

its the same thing ; the gluten type to avoid is called HIGH GLUTEN FLOUR (or Bread Machine Flour)..the carbs on that run from 54 to 66 carbs per cup.

The Recipes posted on this Board are using VW Gluten at about 24 carbs per cup.

DELANE ..I'm with CarolynF re your recipes..I do use a lot of Gluten, but never "straight"...for baking, always mixed with Carbquick or other LC "flours'' or nut flours..Please share your knowledge.

Shawnee
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:28 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Thank you so much Shawnee. I searched online and couldn't find an answer. I can't wait to try some stuff out.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:52 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DEBI IN OHIO
Stats: 235.5/-----/150ish?
WOE: Diabetic.lower carbs
Start Date: 05/01, restart 2/22/08 again
VWG is usually sold in grocery stores in the little boxes(maybe 8 ounces or so)?
ive added that stuff to my bread machine to help it rise or so i was told it would help
DEBI IN OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
bumping t his up hoping that delane would see it and post some of her recipes, I have lots of this and would like to use it..
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:15 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

I had put my message on here last year and forgot about it and happen to see the site in my favorites. I am so sorry for not looking back and seeing the people that had replied to me. If you are still interested in my recipes for vital wheat gluten I will gladly give any I have. I buy my gluten here local but she will ship it to anywhere. It is in 5# bags for $5.20 and cheap shipping. I have her number and address. I live on Ohio.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:18 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Delane:

What part of Ohio do you live in? I am in Ohio, also, and just wondered waht city the bakery is, that you are referring to? (Probably not around here, but didn't hurt to ask)

I'd love to have your bread recipe and cinnamon roll recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cherrytt_too
Stats: 299.5/258/175
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2, 2006
I'd love your noodle recipe!
cherrytt_too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

delane's vital wheat gluten bread recipe

I put this recipe in my bread maker on dough and take it out and put in 2 bread pans or silicone pans and let it rise in the oven (preheat 150 then turn it off ) let it rise for 30 min. the take it out and preheat oven 400 and cook for 25 min. I use guar gum for texture, try it without it and see how it goes. I use guar gum for alot of things I make. I have to put it in my dough for my pizza dough to roll it out. Gluten can get tough to use, but I put the dough ball in the microwave (in a zip lock bag ,open, and micro for 15 sec. turn and 15 sec and it will roll out great. Once you start using the four and get used to it you will have no problem. When you make a cake recipe, just substitute gluten flour and use splenda for any recipe. I hope this makes sense.

Bread
put one egg (in shell) in 1 cup on very warm water then in pan put
1 T quick rise yeast
2 1/4 c vital wheat gluten flour
1/2 t salt
2 T splenda
1 t guar gum
2 T oil
take egg out of water and crack it open and put it in on top of flour mixture(you don't have to beat it)
1 c very warm water
turn machine on and let it go through the dough cycle and take it out and cut it in half and put it into 2 pans. and cook as above.
I order my guar gum on vitaglo.com it is very cheap.

I get my vital wheat gluten flour from a local bakery and she does ship
The number for the bakery is 330-5273611 or you can check you locals.
I will post my pizza dough. I can eat all this stuff because the flour is low carb. Also when I roll out my pizza dough and pie dough I use one of those round things with a zipper I think it is called a pie crust maker. I got this at the mall in the kitchen place. I got the 14" one.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

I live in Warren.Oh
Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

To CarolynF, That is why you use the guar gum, it gives it better texture.
I also have a bread machine called dinner for two and it makes a small loaf of bread. It is great. When you get used to working with the flour you will be in the kitchen all the time trying to think of things to make. When you get the gluten flour on the internet it is so expensive and shipping is high. So that is why I say to call your locals or the number I put on here to buy it from my town. It is $5.20 for 5#. she had shipped 25# to my niece in Ind. for $9 or 10 dollars. That is alot of flour. Delane
Old 06-14-2007, 05:22 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Delane, I am not sure what kind of flour this person is selling you but, against my better judgment my curiosity got the better of me this morning and I followed your directions for your bread. I had a fairly good idea what I thought the dough from all vwg bread would look like and I wasn't too far off. What I ended up with was several lumps of rubber that would not adhere to each other. I am serious when I say I most likely could have bounced it from 1 side of the room to the other. I tried to rise it an it did nothing for 2 hours. I did not attempt to bake it because it would have been uneatable. I think you need to ask this person again what kind of flour she is selling you because I doubt seriously that it is vital wheat gluten flour.

Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:09 AM   #18

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I was thinking the same thing-I buy vital wheat gluten in a box from my grocery store and it does not say flour on the box. You add it to your regular bread recipes to help it rise and be more chewy. Asian cultures use wheat gluten boiled as a substitute for meat. Are you sure what she is selling you isn't flour w/vital wheat gluten added? Usually to make bread you would add oat flour and soy flour which is probably what is in your flour mix-so the carbs would be higher. The 6 g per 1/4 c is for the wheat gluten only.

Last edited by lisabinil; 06-14-2007 at 06:24 AM..
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Boy, Kevin, you really are the curious type! I looked at Delane's bread recipe and also wondered what the texture would be like with all that gluten in there and nothing to cut it. My first LC bread was an Atkins mix. I laugh now when I think of it. It rose well enough and looked pretty good, but cutting it was liking trying to cut foam rubber. Tasted like foam rubber and you could have bounced the slices off the wall...!! Thanks to you, Kevin, (and a number of others on this board) we sure have come a long way with LC bread!

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clyde
Stats: 167/118/110 Height 5'6"
Start Date: Restart 12/07/06
I have a bag of Bob Mill's Vital Wheat Gluten "Flour". It actually says flour....is there a difference between the bag that says flour and the box that doesn't?

Now I'm really curious about this!
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #21

Here's what I found

"Also called "gluten flour", "instant gluten flour", "pure gluten flour", and "vital wheat gluten" depending on vendor and manufacturer. This is flour with the starch and bran removed. Gluten is the natural protein in the wheat endosperm which, when combined with water, forms a taffy-like dough. This retains the gas and steam from baking.

It is 75 to 80% protein. This yields approximately 24 grams of carbohydrate per cup. The process of keeping mostly the protein constituents of the wheat and very little of the starch makes this product a useful aid in low-carbohydrate baking and cooking.

The protein binds moisture meaning your bread and baked goods will usually be more moist and "fresh" than traditional baking yields as well. This should never be confused with other gluten flours as mentioned below which can have significantly more carbohydrate. Vital wheat gluten can also be an essential ingredient when baking with soy flour or soya powder, as soy contains no gluten element to allow baking doughs to raise or hold their shape."
Old 06-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info lisabinil!

I think I'll just let my bag expire - I have until 7-10-07, but I really don't know what else to do with it!

Kevin's testing totally turned me off to the stuff!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:58 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Clyde, vital wheat gluten has its uses in combination with other LC flours but it does not work as the only flour in a bread recipe.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #24

I agree with Kevin-in regular baking it really helped my breads in my bread machine. Try searching for some lc bread recipes-maybe you could find something that appeals to you to bake.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:43 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

on my bag of flour it says pure wheat gluten flour
this is what they use at the bakery for making low carb bread.
how do you put pictures on here so i can show you my loaf of bread?
I will also take a picture of my bag of flour. My 3 sisters and I have been using this for over 3 years now.

Last edited by Delane; 06-14-2007 at 10:46 PM..
Old 06-15-2007, 04:45 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Kevin and lisabinil! Since it has an expiration date of 7-10-07, can I go ahead and freeze it until I use it or just try to make up enough bread before that date? I hate deadlines...so much pressure! : )

Hi Delane!

I'm new to posting too so I don't know how to post a picture but what you could do is look at the bag and list the ingredients for us so we can see how they compare. My bag has just one ingredient listed and it is "wheat gluten". Does your bag list anything else??
Old 06-15-2007, 08:21 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: woofie47
Stats: 183/130/120 5'1
WOE: original Atkins/EFGT
Start Date: Atkins in 1979, EFGT 11/06
I've let two boxes of Bobs Red Mill vital wheat gluten go bad. But I recently found out that its the best breader (for lt. flour applications). I've tried the low card mixes, and the carbquik, etc. Finally, I have the same taste that I've missed for a long time.
woofie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

I posted the number of my local bakery, you can call them to tell you what the flour is, i used to get their low carb bread they make and then it went up in price and one day my sister was there and asked about the flour they use to make it and they told her it is pure gluten flour and she brought her out a bag to look at and said they sell it there, so my sister took one home and devised a recipe for the bread. gluten flour sucks up moisture, so this is why she revised bread recipe. The recipe my sister gave me is what I use for my bread for 3 years. Irene's bakery 330-5273611
Old 06-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Kevinpa,
Did you put this dough in a bread machine? It looks like you have a hook from a mixer in your picture. Did you put the guar gum in also? The bread machine kneads it for about 20 minutes. It looks like you have the right flour but did not do something right. Somebody tell me how to get a picture on here.
Kevinpa, how did you post the pics?
Old 06-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Hi Delane!

I was going to call the bakery and that number doesn't work. Can you confirm that number for me?

Thanks!