Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Barbeque seasoning rub (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/413336-barbeque-seasoning-rub.html)

Pam 03-08-2006 08:49 AM

Barbeque seasoning rub

Anyone have a recipe for a barbeque seasoning rub? Thanks.........

Jess70 03-08-2006 08:54 AM

rub we use for ribs in the summer

This is a recipe that my husband uses all summer on our ribs...This is his secret recipe but you know the saying what they don't know won't hurt em...so....2 tablespoons hot Mexican-style chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Pam 03-08-2006 09:04 AM

Thanks, Jessica! Ribs...........that's exactly what I had in mind for dinner tonight. I'll try your recipe. Thanks for such a quick reply! :)

Jess70 03-08-2006 09:06 AM

we also...

We have also added espresso powder or some instant coffee to the mix to change up the favor a bit. He likes to add it to the bbq sauce too, thats his secret ingredient that and he cooks them in dark beer.
I am thinking that if you do the rub and cook them in diet dr pepper or diet coke that it would almost make it's own bbq sauce. Jess

Jess70 03-11-2006 06:34 AM

So how were they

I was wondering if you enjoyed your ribs. I am thinking I of making them tonight. I am going to use the grill to finish them but need to look into an alternative to the bbq sauce. Jess

Pam 03-11-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess70
I was wondering if you enjoyed your ribs. I am thinking I of making them tonight. I am going to use the grill to finish them but need to look into an alternative to the bbq sauce. Jess

They were GREAT! I ran out of paprika. So I substituted about a half T. of cayenne pepper. I cooked them in the crock pot. When I removed the ribs from the crock pot, I poured on some barbeque sauce, a recipe by Suzanne Somers. EXCELLENT! Thanks again for your hubby's recipe............Next time I may add the instant coffee like you suggested.

lazy girl 02-05-2013 11:55 AM

can this be sweetened?

My family eats lots of grilled ribs covered with a rub that has sugar. For me, this will no longer work. I'm looking for suggestions.

Could granular erythritol be used? Would it caramelize just like sugar? Perhaps to make it sweeter, a little granular Splenda could be stirred into the mix.

Before I try it, it would be helpful to have someone's input.

PDBoy 02-05-2013 02:47 PM

I have been using Bad Byron's Butt Rub for quite some time now. It contains no sugar. I googled "sugar free rubs" and got several links with recipes that I plan to try. I'm looking for a different rub for the following reasons:

1. Variety
2. Less salt

I will still use Byron's 80% of the time.

Soobee 02-05-2013 03:57 PM

Erythritol will not carmelize. The only artificial sweetener I know that will is tagatose.

flatferenghi 02-06-2013 12:33 PM

i wive in an apartment without a terrace.

i will be working on a way to do wibs in the baking oven, OR on my WONCO. I WOVE WIBS. So I shall need a gweat dwy wub for wibs. Sorry, i just came from an Elmer Fudd mawathon. Wove & Pwofits: FWATFEWENGHI

MSS726 02-07-2013 06:47 PM

Funny, we just had ribs tonight, since we had a heat wave of 40 and picked up some baby backs at the butchers today. This is the rub I used, except for the cayenne, I opted for crushed red pepper flakes. It was good. I rubbed the ribs, packed tightly in foil, baked in oven at 250 for about hour and a half, then put on grill and basted with Guy's low carb bbq sauce. I usually make my own, but wanted to get them finished before dark. They were delicious with a salad.:yummy:

Low Carb Rib Rub
1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons Splenda granular
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

lazy girl 02-07-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 16241870)
Erythritol will not carmelize. The only artificial sweetener I know that will is tagatose.

Well, this is a new one for me. Glad to get the info and will look up this stuff tonight. Thanks for the tip!