Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   German Salad with pic (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/413175-german-salad-pic.html)

5cats4me 03-07-2006 03:25 PM

German Salad with pic

You have to try this!! It is a recipe from my grandmother, that I adapted using Splenda... My DH and sister both loved it too!

German Salad
3 slices of bacon
2 tbsp. of vinegar
2 tbsp. Splenda
2 big tablespoons of mayo
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
bag of salad plus veggies

Prepare a salad as usual with lettuce and favorite veggies. Put in fridge.
Fry the bacon and drain on paper towels. Save the grease! Let it sit until it no longer spits (5-10min). Add remaining ingredients to the grease and stir until mixed and warm.
Pour over your salad and toss. Crumble bacon pieces over the top and enjoy!
It's not a very pretty picture, but it's so tasty!
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4935/salad7nr.jpg

5cats4me 03-07-2006 03:30 PM

Here's a pic before it's tossed, much prettier!

http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/4381/salad5pr.jpg

CarolynF 03-07-2006 03:40 PM

Pam: I'm making this for Friday..I have a potluck to go to...It looks fabulous..thanks.

Itsanewme 03-07-2006 04:39 PM

I made this a few weeks ago when you posted it and I think I ate it every day for for lunch for a week! This is so good and simple. I changed the salad greens from bib lettuce to romaine and then spinach salad with sliced mushrooms and onions. Yum! Thanks for sharing this. It is becoming my favorite salad.

5cats4me 03-07-2006 04:55 PM

I'm glad you liked it Itsanewme! I love it too.

I think you'll like it Carolyn, you may want to take the dressing seperately if you're taking it to a pot luck, and mix it when you get there so it doesn't wilt. I always add extra egg and bacon, but that's just personal preference!

CarolynF 03-07-2006 08:38 PM

Thanks, Pam..will do that..

LCprincess 03-08-2006 02:02 AM

that looks so unbelievably delicious!!!!!

gpisabela 03-09-2006 11:16 AM

Do I put eggs and mayo in the bacon grease and warm them?

Sweeteater 03-09-2006 01:37 PM

I add this

2 tbsp. of vinegar
2 tbsp. Splenda
2 big tablespoons of mayo
to the grease then pour over salad.

Ain't that a pretty pic? :)

5cats4me 03-09-2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpisabela
Do I put eggs and mayo in the bacon grease and warm them?

The grease should already be warm, so after it has cooled off a little (so it doesn't spit) you can add the eggs and the rest of the ingredients. Stir until combined and then pour over the salad. You shouldn't be heating it after you add the eggs and the other stuff.

myyellowstang 03-09-2006 05:40 PM

That is making my mouth water! I also have a potluck next week so this may be what I'm bringing!

LindaSue 03-12-2006 09:02 AM

Can anyone tell me how much bacon grease I should use? I know that the recipe says to use the grease from 3 slices of bacon, but the amount of grease can vary greatly depending on the quality of the bacon. Cheap bacon renders a lot more grease than expensive bacon. I used cheap bacon and got about 1/4 cup of grease from 3 slices. Does that sound like the right amount or a bit too much? I'm making the salad tonight for dinner.

5cats4me 03-12-2006 05:39 PM

Lindasue, I think 1/4 cup of bacon grease sounds about right, give or take a little. Sometimes I make 4 or 5 slices and just pour a little off, so it's not exact every time, but it always tastes great regardless! I hope you like it, it's been in my family for generations...with sugar of course!

mslaster 03-12-2006 08:48 PM

5Cats: Your sald looks really good. I was wondering if turkey bacon be used instead of regular bacon?

nessyrae 03-13-2006 04:50 AM

This salad sounds and looks wonderful! However, I am a bit confused. Is this one serving or two? Also, what exactly am I adding to the grease? And do I pour the grease/dressing over the salad or am I adding the salad to the grease dressing mixture? Thanks so much, sounds like it will be a nice dinner this week for me!

LindaSue 03-13-2006 05:16 AM

I ended up using just 2 tablespoons of bacon grease, but I can see that the dressing would be pretty flexible as far as the amount because it's so thin anyway. I loved it! I figure that it makes at least 4 large servings, if not more. Here's how I made mine:

5CATS4ME'S GERMAN SALAD
3 slices bacon, chopped
2 tablespoons bacon grease
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda *
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
5 ounces romaine lettuce, chopped (see my comment below)
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
2 ounces cucumber, about 8 slices
4 ounces grape tomatoes, halved, about 16
1 large mushroom, sliced thin
1 1/2 ounces red onion, sliced thin

Fry the bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels and reserve 2 tablespoons of the grease. Let the grease cool 5-10 minutes then add the vinegar, Splenda and mayonnaise; whisk well. In a large bowl, toss the remaining ingredients and the bacon. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.

Makes about 4 very large servings

* Deduct 1 carb per serving if using liquid Splenda

Per Serving: 221 Calories; 20g Fat; 6g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

This is so good that it was hard to stop eating it. Of course you can add whatever salad veggies you like and leave out the ones you don't. If you don't have a kitchen scale, just fill a big salad bowl with lettuce and it will be close enough.

5cats4me 03-13-2006 05:57 PM

LindaSue- I'm so glad you liked it! See what I mean about the grease? It's very flexible.

nessy- You add the mayo, vinegar, eggs, and splenda to the grease and stir until combined. Then you pour the mixture over the salad and top with crumbled bacon. Toss and enjoy!

nessyrae 03-14-2006 03:02 AM

Thank you very much. It sounds great! I have a TON of salad greens this week so I may have my usual cold salad for lunch and have this for dinner!

CarolynF 03-15-2006 12:08 PM

Pam:

I made this..but did the dressing slightly differently..lowering fat..and DH went nuts
over it..

Lower Fat Pam's Dressing

1/4 cup Real Bacon Pieces
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar

Put this in a glass jar or small bowl and microwave for about a minute to release
the bacon flavor into the liquid

Then add 1/4 cup Splenda and 1/2 cup mayonnaise and stir well..Refrigerate..

I don't always have bacon on hand, but wanted to make something I could have alot..

It is the best dressing ever..

This would also be yummy poured over a wedge of iceberg lettuce and have some
chopped tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, and chives sprinkled over the top.

5cats4me 03-15-2006 03:50 PM

Hi Carolyn, glad you were able to adapt the recipe to lower fat! You're right about the lettuce wedge, it would be yummy!

mslaster- I'm sure you could use turkey bacon for this as long as you have the grease leftover to make the dressing.

mslaster 04-06-2006 07:55 PM

5Cats---Excellent recipe!!!!--Just had to drop in and let you know that it was really good. Kids loved it. Gonna try your apple glazed porkchops this weekend.

Thanks for sharing.

Sweeteater 04-06-2006 08:10 PM

yum! This IS a fabulous recipe and would probably work great for Easter. :)

5cats4me 04-07-2006 05:00 AM

It's really a meal in itself! I love it because it doesn't taste like your typical boring salad, ya know? Glad ya'll like it!

didi 02-02-2008 05:40 PM

My mom always made a wilted lettuce salad by just sprinkling sugar on lettuce and chopped onion in the bowl and cooking bacon until crisp and adding the vinegar. Then pouring into bowl and tossing. Your recipe sounds so good, I must try it. One thing we do is cut bacon into slices off the side of the pound so you don't have to crumble later. You end up with shorter slices in your package, but sometimes that is convenient too.

jlatislaw 02-02-2008 08:39 PM

didi I'm so glad you brought this recipe back up. I haven't made it in a long time and we really like it. Thanks!

nadi namaki 02-02-2008 10:06 PM

Beautiful salad................

kathys52 02-03-2008 03:10 AM

I make something similar with angel hair cabbage, fresh brocoili cup up small, crumbled bacon, sliced black olives. I then toss with Italian dressing and add a couple tbs. of splend.

5cats4me 02-04-2008 03:52 AM

It's funny, I posted the link to this salad in another thread about salad dressings, and I guess that bumps it! This thread is originally from 2006, but I still LOVE this salad! It's a mainstay for me.

islegirl 02-04-2008 07:40 AM

Yes, you posted this where I asked if anyone would be willing to share their favorite salad dressings with me. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe - I am making it today!

Sue.

Loveton 02-04-2008 10:23 AM

I made this salad a few weeks ago as a side dish. We used baby spinach but didn't have any hard boiled eggs...was still excellent! My kids even ate it. :kicking: