Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2006, 02:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsadm
Stats: Way too big/Too big/Much smaller
WOE: Atkins
New low-carb cookbook from George Stella

I just received George Stella's second low-carb cookbook, "Eating Stella Style" from my cookbook club. It looks excellent with a lot of exciting recipes that I will start trying this weekend. Will report back here on how they come out.

This book emphasizes both low carb and low fat; however, he gives options in the recipes on whether you want to make it lower or higher in fat, with optional ingredient substitutions.

Each recipe has the prep time, cooking time, and nutritional information spelled out, so whatever you are counting, you can count it! There is also less emphasis on soy flour in this one and he has instructions for making your own almond flour.
mrsadm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2006, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
I love that -- a higher-fat option in a recipe -- isn't low-carb great?
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
I saw it in the local bookstore - the pictures are gorgeous and the recipes look delish!
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
I just got his cook book too. The recipes are great he doesn't use the soy flour like in his first book, he's replaced it with almond flour. I made his Chocolate Pecan Truffles, very good. The Blackening Spice, is wonderful my new favorite spice. It's fantastic on grilled chicken. Also the Devilish Deviled Eggs with tuna, was great.
The next thing I'm going to make is Christian's Banana Bread Mufins. The recipe sounds really great.
This a great book I was getting really board LCing I been doing it for three 3 yrs this month and found I'd stopped losing. So I decided to lower my fat & calorie to get things movieing again and it worked. I read in the book that George's son lost his last 80 lbs by lowering his fat content. So I snatched it up to help with food ideas.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gotogirl
Stats: 148/116/120 5'3"
WOE: Atkins for Life Maintenance
Start Date: August, 2005
I love the new book. The pictures are great and the recipes look easier than his first book. I'm on my way to the grocery store to get ingredients.
gotogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:35 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
I just got the book from my library this past Saturday. After going thru it and reading his recipes, I'm definitely going to buy it. It really is a good book!

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NotoSugar
Please give me reviews on this cookbook. I want to buy it but hesitate because I have been disappointed with some of the "other" low carb cookbooks I have purchased.

Sell me on this one!
NotoSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:19 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bassetmom
I made the Baked Stuffed Shrimp Mornay (1/2 recipe for just 2 of us) and it was very good and RICH! The stuffing is similar to a crab rangoon, cream cheese & crab meat. I also purchased a king crab leg like he suggested, instead of using canned crab, which I think made it so great. I made the full recipe of Mornay Sauce to have over veggies with another meal. This was definately a special- cost wise & prep wise- dinner. My filling melted out of the shrimp, so I think next time I'll bake this in individual ramakins for a better presentation. At 2 net carbs a serving, WOW Plus reading the intro pages and his before & today photos, really inspired me to get back on track. Hope we keep this thread going, love to hear what others have tried!
bassetmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I just received my cookbook from Amazon. There are so many beautiful photos of the recipes in the center! I can't wait to get started on them.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

NotoSugar, please keep us posted how the recipes turn out. I made the Chili-Rubbed baked Salmon and it was very good. I thought it might be too spicey but it was just right.
I'm hoping someone will try the Tiramisu and let us know how it turns out. I ran out of almond flour, so haven't had a chance to try some of the baked goodies yet. Love the pictures
Old 03-19-2006, 06:50 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 22Gnomes
Stats: Not Happy/Not Happy/Happy
WOE: Rosacea Diet & Pilates
I just ordered two of his cookbooks. I think he's fantastic!!! I made his low carb pizza and it was great!
22Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
just got it too, the recipes seem really good, i want to try the merangues with strawberrys and the egg crepes
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

His "voice" in this cookbook is so inspiring as well. It encourages at the same time it entertains. I think George Stella is a real person who can inspire many.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:31 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
Are the recipes time consuming or use a ton of ingredients? I like recipes that are on the shorter side for both.
jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yohoney
Stats: 267.5/256.5/NORMAL
WOE: Very clean low carb
Start Date: 2/4/06
I love the Cinnamon Toast Pancake recipe. They're tasty!
Yohoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I'm considering this book so I'll be interesting in knowing how the recipes turn out. That shrimp mornay sounds good--I love crab and shrimp both.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:12 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lori121
Stats: Jan 232.5/203/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 6, 2014
I can't decide where I want to buy the cookbook or not. So I'm going to get it from the library, & if I like it. I'll buy it..
lori121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I'm a cookbook junky & I had a $25 reward certificate to Amazon, so that's why I got it :blush: I think the one thing about his book, is he uses almond flour (no Carbalose, Carbquick, etc.) which has gotten so expensive lately I've almost quit buying it. I think checking it out from the library is a great idea, unfortunately our library didn't have it. Some of the recipes look long, but sometimes it's all the fresh herbs & spices he uses that make it look that way. HTH
Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I made the "Goldfish Crackers." They turned out great. Be sure to use the deli American Cheese in this recipe. I don't think they would be good with the processed American.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:40 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jvryden
Stats: 140/116/115
WOE: Atkins Maintenance as of 1/04
Start Date: 7/27/03
I agree! I checked this one out from the library and have made several things...all good. The Goldfish crackers have become a favorite in our house. My kids absolutely love them (talk about quick and easy!). The Better Cheddar Crisps are also a great snack. I've also made the Cinnamon Toast pancakes (another winner with the kids) and the crepes. Yum! I have a list of others I want to try as well. Where to begin?
jvryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:07 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
I too made the Shrimp Mornay, but it was just too rich and I can handle alot of rich foods. I make stuff like shrimp scampi pretty reguarly and pasta with cream and cheese sauces. I just felt the sauce was way too much with the stuffing. Also I say leave out the poutry seasoning or change to 1/4 teaspoon instead of a full teaspoon. It overpowered the stuffing and was way too strong. That said though I would make again with eliminating the poultry seasoning, maybe just a dollop of sauce.
hirezmary is offline   Reply With Quote