Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Butternut Squash? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/409769-butternut-squash.html)

laureninva 02-21-2006 11:09 AM

Butternut Squash?

I bought one but have never made it before...I am into all kinds of other squash, but am not sure what to do with the butternut? Any ideas? Anyway to make it taste similar to a sweet potato, maybe with splenda and cinnamon? TIA!

jskn 02-21-2006 11:18 AM

Cut it in half. Sprinkle with cinnimon and bake.

sher795 02-21-2006 11:22 AM

Wow! I was just looking for info on this today too! Bought one over the weekend and not sure how to cook. My MIL made it over the holidays so that it came out like mashed sweet potatoes and it was wonderful!!

Really didn't want to call her (I know - I sound terrible!) so was hoping I could find something here!

decodiva27 02-21-2006 11:29 AM

I have one sitting in my frig, too. Any ideas would be appreciated. I don't know if I would like it sweetened or not.

guysgirl 02-21-2006 01:21 PM

I vote no sweetner They are delish and sweet as is, just salt and pepper

decodiva27 02-21-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guysgirl
I vote no sweetner They are delish and sweet as is, just salt and pepper

Thanks! But how do you cook them? Microwave or oven? Do you slice it up or cut in half? Then mash like a potato? I really am clueless about squash. :stars:

zoes_mama 02-21-2006 01:27 PM

I believe you can slice it in half, long-wise... scoop out the seeds... put the squash cut-side-down in a baking dish with a little bit of water and roast it at like 350-degrees for 45-60 minutes or until tender.

Some people microwave them, too, but don't know how long to recommend nuking (puncture skin with fork).

judyg 02-21-2006 01:28 PM

Baking brings out the flavor the best (though you can peel it, cut it up and boil it, too). The only thing others forgot was the butter!!!

luckyduck 02-21-2006 01:54 PM

Excuse me for saying this, but I do believe that butternut squash, unlike most other squash, is very high carb due to the high sugar content. If I am totally off the mark, someone please correct me - I LOVE butternut squash and would love to add it to my diet.

JKat 02-21-2006 02:08 PM

I believe it has 10.8 carbs per 0.5cup net = 7.9.

jem51 02-21-2006 02:15 PM

i love it. it doesn't need sweetener. cut it in half, rub some oil on the cut side and put it in a baking pan (again cut side down). i don't add water, just let it bake and carmelize. when it's done, i scoop out the seeds.

pbptm 02-21-2006 03:18 PM

This is according to fit day I think maybe it's a pre maintenance/ maintenance food

Amount Per 1 cup, cubes baked

Calories 82
Calories from Fat 1.66

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 0.185g 0%

Saturated Fat 0.0389g 0%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0779g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.0143g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 8.2mg 0%

Potassium 582.2mg 17%

Total Carbohydrate 21.5g 7%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Protein 1.84g 4%

Alcohol 0g

Vitamin A 287 % Vitamin C 52 %

Calcium 8 % Iron 7 %

Vitamin D 0 % Vitamin E 0 %

Thiamin 7 % Riboflavin 2 %

Niacin 10 % Folate 10 %

Vitamin B-6 13 % Vitamin B-12 0 %

Phosphorus 6 % Magnesium 15 %

Zinc 2 % Copper 7 %

Angie :rolleyes:

Bfranke 02-21-2006 03:45 PM

I peel butternut squash, cut in med peices, then put in pot with a small amount of water, and boil, like potatoes. When tender, I drain, add butter and salt and pepper, and mash. It is so good. I always fix it for Christmas...my kids expect it.
Bette

Charski 02-21-2006 07:17 PM

Being the consummate nuker - I wash the whole squash and with a thin-bladed knife (like a steak knife) I pierce into the bulby end of the squash until I'm SURE the knife has penetrated the middle (to let air and steam escape during cooking) and then poke a few holes through the skin on the solid neck end.

I put it, whole, into a microwave-safe baking dish (like a 9 x 13 pyrex) and nuke on High 5 to 6 minutes to start; with potholders, I turn the squash over, and nuke in 2 to 3 minute bursts until it is starting to give with pressure. Then I let it just sit in the microwave with the door shut at least 5 more minutes to finish cooking through.

Then I generally cut it across at the bulby end, cut THAT piece in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds (which DH loves to eat!), and then cut the thick meaty neck end into 1" rounds. I love it with just butter on it, but at that point you could also mash it up with some Splenda, butter, and cinnamon, or some SF maple syrup, or I've used DaVinci SF gingerbread syrup and butter on it too. ALL good!

Char

LowCarbConvert 02-21-2006 07:26 PM

I do it the same as Charski, and do spaghetti squash the same way.

After nuking, I cover/wrap the thing with foil for several minutes- until I'm sure it is completely steamed. For the butternut (or acorn), just scoop out the seeds, then cube or scoop & mash the flesh. For the spaghetti squash, scoop out the seeds and then spaghetti the squash with a fork.

I was at a farmers market last year, and they oven-baked cubes in olive oil, salt, and pepper, then served the cubes with toothpicks. Really good, and you can use any type of winter squash for that.

JackiCWa 02-21-2006 07:40 PM

Make a nice cream soup out of it...dice it up and with chicken broth, chicken, saute some onion and red bell peppers...then put a pint of cream in it when it's done. Take your stick blender and puree it up. It's absolutely delish.

Llepke 10-16-2012 08:12 AM

Butternut Squash

I peel the whole thing with a vegetable peeler. Cut the neck into round slabs that I slather in olive oil then bake in the oven, I use these instead of english muffins for Eggs Benedict. The bulb I either cut in half, scrape out seeds and then bake the same way(yummy bowls for stuff like Chili, Turkey Ragout, etc...) or use mandoline slicer and make chips, oil them up and sprinkle very lightly with any seasoning, they shrink in the oven to about half the size so don't over season. I suppose you could probably deep-fry them too. Or I make butternut/carrot ginger soup or butternut chowder or breakfast stew with breakfast sausage or bacon, topped with poached or over-easy eggs.

goheels 10-16-2012 09:22 AM

One of my favorites, I bake for holidays or special occasions, peel(not easy due to tough skin), I cut into slices first, then peel, cut into cubes, salt, pepper, olive oil and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes, eat with home made ranch dressing, yum!

millergirl1976 10-16-2012 01:26 PM

It's also really delicious cubed and tossed with other vegetables to roast. Yum!

That Girl 10-16-2012 09:32 PM

I cut and seed it, top off with butter, lc maple syrup, cinnamon and some pecans...cover with a lid, microwave for 4 minutes, take off the lid, microwave again....delish! I did not realize it was that high in carbs! Shoot!

Jakelilydad 10-16-2012 10:07 PM

To take the squash in a totally different direction, toss cubes (or fry-shaped strips) of peeled squash in oil and then dust with chile powder. Bake the same was as others have suggested. You can regulate the heat depending on how hot your chile powder is, or add cayenne or, my favorite, chipotle powder.

Excellent with anything remotely Tex-Mex.

Angeloco 02-20-2013 07:34 AM

Great sounding ideas.