Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 07:02 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CRosie
Stats: 266/186/150
WOE: my own low carb/sometimes lowfat plan
Start Date: May 21, 2007
Chocolate Made With Erythritol

My husband ordered me some great low carb chocolate. It comes really close to the real thing. It's made by Bissingers.

It's made with : sugar free chocolate: (unsweetened chocolate, oligofructose, erythritol, cocoa butter, milkfat, lecithin, ace K, vanillin, sucralose) and pecans.

Serving Size 1.5 ounce: 220 cal, 20 grams fat, 19 grams carbs (10 fiber, 1 sugar) and 3 grams protein.

It's pricey so I would love to make it at home, but I seriously doubt I could get the erythritol to dissolve or figure out how to combine the sweeteners to eliminate the cooling effect.

Because of the confusion with SAs and carbs, I don't suppose there's anyway I can determine the exact carb count..but I hope, from looking at the ingredient list, that it's low.

Happy Valentines Day to all

Barefoot
CRosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
i saw those , ive been wanting to try their chocolate for a while, they look great, expecially the choc almonds.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Does this chocolate have a discernable cooling effect?

The carbs are definitely low. Oligofructose is an inulin derivative and is in the same zero to very little digestible category. The only real carbs in this is the cocoa in the chocolate and that's not that much, especially with the added cocoa butter and milkfat.

Technically, I consider this to be less of a 'chocolate made with erythritol' and more of a 'chocolate made with oligofructose.' Based upon the carbs/fiber in unsweetened chocolate, I'm guessing that the 19 g carbs/10 g fiber/1 g sugar break down something like this

Unsweetened chocolate (about 1 oz.): 8 g carbs, 4 g fiber
Oligofructose: 7 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 1 g sugar
Erythritol: 4 g carbs

That's a very rough sketch of how it might break down. If that is in the vicinity, you're talking almost twice the oligofructose than the erythritol.

If there is little to no cooling effect, it's the crystallization inhibiting properties of the oligofructose that's preventing the erythritol from crystallizing. To get zero cooling effect, I think they might start off with some form of oligofructose/erythritol syrup that they boil down to a hard crack/close to zero water stage and then pulverize it to use in the chocolate. In other words, they make a non crystallizing/non cooling hard candy and add that to the chocolate. I'm not absolutely sugar a 66% oligofructose/33% erythritol hard candy wouldn't crystallize, though. My gut feeling is that 15% erythritol would probably be pushing it. PLUS a hard candy made in this fashion would contain trace amounts of residual water which would have to be declared in the ingredients. I think

More likely, though, is that there is a slight cooling effect and it's a regular chocolate recipe utilizing powdered erythritol/powdered oligofructose.

Hmmm... maybe they make a hard candy with part of the erythritol (just enough to stay crystallized) and then add the rest of the erythritol as a powder. That might work.

No promises, but polyd should act in a similar fashion as the oligofructose.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
I'm not absolutely [COLOR=Red]sugar[/COLOR] a 66% oligofructose/33% erythritol hard candy wouldn't crystallize, though.
I'm sorry, Scott - I KNOW you meant "sure" but given the context this just cracked me right up!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Whoops! Freudian slip?
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:26 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CRosie
Stats: 266/186/150
WOE: my own low carb/sometimes lowfat plan
Start Date: May 21, 2007
Thanks Scott and all ~

It really doesn't seem to have any "cooling" or "minty" taste at all. That's what was surprising to me.

If anything, the only fault I can find with it (and this seems to be common across all sugar free chocolates) is that it doesn't have much of a "bottom note".

I've learned to appreciate chocolate the same way I appreciate wine and good perfumes...for their top, middle and bottom notes.

Perhaps there is something about sugar that makes for such a nice well rounded flavor when it comes to chocolate. I don't seem to notice any missing "notes" if you will, when eating or drinking other beverages or food items made with alternative sweeteners.

Ah the power and mystery of chocolate....

I might try swapping out the oligofructose with Poly D in a chocolate recipe when I get around to experimenting again, thanks for the idea...it does seem that the fiber is the major player here.

I like the addition of pecans, it balances out the whole thing.

Again, ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner !

Tks, Barefoot Rosie
CRosie is offline   Reply With Quote