Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
txjohn

Gallery: txjohn
Venison recipes??

I've never done much cooking of wild game but grandson has furnished me with several packages of sausage, ground venison and cutlets, along with "backstrap". Any suggestions as to how to cook?

Irene

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
I'll tell you how my Mom cooks it.

For backstrap, two ways:
Tenderize the backstrap pieces--she used to hack them with a melamac saucer--then you get canned evaporated milk (cream or half 'n half will probably work) and
put the steaks in a container and cover with the milk and cover with a lid or plastic wrap and soak them overnight in the refrigerator. This serves to remove any wild taste they might have and also helps to tenderize them.
Then she would dip them in flour and fry them up like chicken fried steaks. I'm thinking you could use a flour substitute if you want to keep it low carb.

The other way is to first soak the backstrap in some water and add a teaspoon of vinegar to it for about an hour (in the fridge), then pat dry with some paper towels, then tenderize the backstrap and then just fry in bacon grease. The bacon grease makes them taste more flavorful and helps to get rid of the wild taste they might have.

For sausage, if it is like the jimmy dean type, she just cooked it the same as regular sausage.
For the link kind, she used to slice it lengthwise and into about 3" pieces and then fry up in some oil and then put in a pot with bbq sauce.

For ground venison, just cook like hamburger and you might have to add a bit of oil, as sometimes the venison is very lean meat. She always added some onion, bell pepper and celery to it. I don't know if that is necessary or just the way she liked it.

Ground venison makes some mean chili, if you like chili.

If you happen to have a roast in there, then you would put it in the oven like a regular roast, except cover it with strips of bacon and some onion. That does the trick for getting rid of the wild taste (some of them don't have any wild taste, just depends) and it enhances the flavor.

Actually venison is one of the better types of meat to eat just because it hasn't been "processed" or tampered with or fed any of the junk that our cows get fed these days.

Let us know if you like it.

Last edited by SugarBabi; 02-11-2006 at 02:27 PM..
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyTexun
Stats: 01-03-11 restart 222/212/175
WOE: Just Lo-Carb
Start Date: 01-'03 (again 01-2010, and again 1-'11)
I'm a hunter and process all my venison myself. Besides making a lot of sausage this past season I also like ground "hamburger" venison and small roasts.

The ground meat becomes hamburger patties or chili or (my favorite) meatloaf (I like to mix ground pork with my ground venison).

This past year I took all the ribs, neck and backbone.. put in my pressure cooker with comino, garlic and salt... pressured about 45 minutes till the meat fell off the bones. I then took the meat, ran it through my grinder and packaged it in one pound packages and froze. I've made an awesome "meat salad" with it adding mayo and sweet relish (I buy Vlasic sweet gherkins and grind them up in my Magic Bullet for my sweet relish).
I still have a couple of quarts of broth frozen trying to figure out what to do with it.

Backstrap isn't my favorite cut, but I've been known to slice it, beat it with a meat mallet, to tenderize it a bit, then deep fry it.... I use equal parts of Carbalose flour, crushed pork rinds and parmesan cheese to coat the meat then deep fry.
I also will take the backstrap, whole, place in a sheet of heavy duty tin foil, add sliced onions, garlic and bell peppers, season well then put on the pit (or in the oven).

Just remember, venison is very lean, you'll need to stew it or add fat to it... it'll also need extra seasoning. IMO

Hope that gives you some ideas.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
I just remembered...venison jerky also made out of the backstrap.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: redslipper47
Stats: 241/202/160 Restart 253/235/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/7/2003 Restart: 1/1/2009
If you have a Vension roast or various other parts ( such as stew meat) I take an put all in the slow cooker for 8- 10 hr. with onion and smoked flavoring. When it is done and tender. I take it out and shred it as you would for shredded Pork. Add LC Bque sauce and then put it back in for an hr or so. really yummy. If it is a lot, I freeze some for another day.This meat also make a really good chili.Hope this helps.
redslipper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:20 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoisR
Bumping. Any ideas for venison steaks? We're not able to grill today and I was thinking of broiling them, but I want to put some good flavor into the steaks, too.
LoisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Marvin
Stats: WT=410/345/225?
WOE: Atkins induction, Bernstein
Start Date: Which time?
TXJohn & Lois R,
The backstraps are the "2nd" best cut on the deer, 2nd only to the tenderloins which I am sure your grandson kept for himself. Not sure how anyone's been cooking them if they don't like them, but they are the exact same cut that produces filet mignon, new york strip, porterhouse, del monico, etc. on beef only they are leaner. Being leaner, they have to be treated with care.

With venison, you have to either cook them "hot and fast" or "moist and slow".

My favorite way to do the the backtrap (either whole or steaks/chops) is: Find a nice marinade (either commercial, or make your own), or simply a cheap Italian Salad Dressing, and marinade for a few hours/overnight/however long you want to. Grill/broil with high heat to a medium rare or rare....no more than that....and you will have phenomenal eating. It is when you cook them too long, that the gamey taste and texture emerges.

I also sometimes make a sauce of sauteed mushrooms and onions, with a 1/4 c. of heavy cream, heated slowly to thicken the sauce, but not curdle or burn it. It's delightful.

Also the following sauce is good:
DeBurgo Sauce (To die for on steak or chicken)
Description: This is a rich, creamy sauce with NO CARBS that is so so good on a really good grilled filet or chicken breast.
Ingredients: 1 stick salted butter
1/4 cup heavy wipping cream
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
How To Prepare: Melt butter on medium heat in a heavy saucepan. Add minced garlic and allow to simmer for appox. 90 seconds. Add cream and Italian seasoning. Let simmer untill hot (about a minute more) Serve on top of a good steak filet or tenderloin, also very, very good on a grilled chicken breast.

Also there is a recipe running around (can't find it now, but I'll try to) for Matre'd Butter which is great for topping any kind of steak.

The "warm and slow" method can be done in any kind of soup (cream--my fave is Golden Mushroom) or sauce in a crockpot or dutch oven....just make sure it is low heat (no more than about 225--of course for safety, at least 160-170 degrees) with moisture around it.

Keep in mind you are eating a meat with no marbling, and also no hormones or other chemicals. Venison is a great thing and it is the only red meat I eat at home.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:15 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I love venison sausage and hamburger meat in chili. The sausage is my favorite breakfast sausage over all pork sausage. The hamburger (and a little sausage) also makes an excellent meatloaf. I have a really good recipe and will be low-carbing it when we get some venison this year--haven't looked at the carb count yet. We love the backstraps lightly brushed with Allegro marinade and then fried in a little bacon grease or grilled (just be careful not to overcook it as previously mentioned--I baste with butter when grilling). Any type of marinade will get rid of the wild taste and it doesn't take much.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Marvin - THANK YOU for the sauce ideas!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCat2
Stats: 204/196.5/150
WOE: LowCarb
Start Date: restart July '12
[COLOR="Purple"]Just last night I marinated some Deer steaks in canola oil, worchestershire sauce, soy sauce...rosemary, thyme, dash, garlic and pepper.

Cooked them on the George Forman grill~only took about 4 minutes per steak...and they were awesome~!!!

I had only marinated them about an hour...usually I like to let them sit longer...but I ran out of time. ~I would love some other venison recipes too~

Anyone else out there have any good ideas for the hamburg (besides meatloaf)???[/COLOR]
CrazyCat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
for anyone into canning, my mother used to can venison. One of my favorite meals growing up was canned venison with homemade noodles. Ate a lot of venison growing up but other than the canned couldn't tell you how my mother fixed it. Well, she did do the ground venison also, but added lots of onions which ruined it for me.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCat2 View Post
[COLOR="Purple"]Just last night I marinated some Deer steaks in canola oil, worchestershire sauce, soy sauce...rosemary, thyme, dash, garlic and pepper.

Cooked them on the George Forman grill~only took about 4 minutes per steak...and they were awesome~!!!

I had only marinated them about an hour...usually I like to let them sit longer...but I ran out of time. ~I would love some other venison recipes too~

Anyone else out there have any good ideas for the hamburg (besides meatloaf)???[/COLOR]

For the ground venision or venison hamburger, you can use it like beef hamburger. Sometimes I have to add in some oil, but other than that, it works the same.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:27 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SNuGGiE
venison is sooooo good! I got a freezer full right now! I use it just like hamburger and it is so much better than ground beef! I made some chilli yesterday and it was sooooo gooodododododddd. I also like to make them into burgers and top w/ salsa and sour cream. I like how venison is more natural than beef. Cows get fed corn instead of the grass they are suppossed to have to make them fat. Then they have to be fed hormones so they don't die from eating the corn, cause cow tummys weren't designed at all for corn, just grass. Deer is awesome cause they eat the right stuff, its leaner and I don't have to support the beef industry (at least during deer season, haha) yea venison!!!!

Last edited by SNuGGiE; 12-04-2006 at 11:28 AM..
SNuGGiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #14
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Awright all you people STOP IT RIGHT NOW - or else SEND me some venison - you are causing me to drool on my keyboard!!!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Charski,
If you were closer, you'd get all the venison you could eat.

I've taken two deer this year so far, and will likely do another 1-3 before I'm done.

Here's a good site with lots of recipes, they're not low carb necessarily, but most can be converted. http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxven.html

I thinly slice venison and use for stroganoff or philly cheesesteaks; of course you can do a low carb version of either. My son loves these and begs them from me.

Also as others have said, you can use ground venison as just like you can any other ground beef. I make hamburgers with mine, too, because I grind either brisket or chuck roast (when on sale) right into mine, so I get a nice juicy burger.

I make a wicked LC Texas Chili recipe with mine as well....I'll post it later. Thanks.

Last edited by Marvin; 12-04-2006 at 12:25 PM..
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #16
Gadget Gal

Marvin, now you're just teasin' me....
Old 12-04-2006, 01:58 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SNuGGiE
yea, I'm moving 500 miles away soon and my deer meat supply will be getting cut off...........I have one month to eat lots of free deer meat!
SNuGGiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Marvin, now you're just teasin' me....
C'mon, move to Nebraska....it's almost exactly like coastal CA.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #19
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
C'mon, move to Nebraska....it's almost exactly like coastal CA.
Well - it WAS 33* this morning at 7:30....

High was about 72* this afternoon though!
Old 12-05-2006, 03:57 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

33.....I think that was our high today.

I found the "cream, mushrooms, & onion sauce" recipe I mentioned above. I borrowed this from someone else. Of course, you could use this on beef or chicken as well:

MUSHROOM SAUCE
Put a tablespoon or so of butter in a frying pan and melt. Add about a half cup of sliced mushrooms (and I like onion with it too but that is a personal preference!) and saute until they are soft. Pour in about a third of a cup of cream (and again, I just eyeball it) and continue heating. Keep a good eye on it though because if you let it be without stirring for too long, it will go from yum to yuck! The cream will start to bubble and it will thicken up. Season with salt and pepper to your tastes.

And here's the "matre'd butter" or something similar:

Another steak topping is a "compound butter".

Soften a stick of butter then add fresh chopped herbs of your choice or dried spices of your choice. Mash it together. Then scoop it out onto a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log....like you do when making refrigerator cookies. Throw it into the freezer until firm. Then cut it into slices and wrap them in more plastic wrap. And freeze until you're ready to use.

To use, take on of your flavored butter patties and put it on top of a hot piece of cooked meat, like a steak or chicken breast, etc. It'll melt giving the meat flavor and moistness.

The other thing you can do is to not freeze the mixture, but to refrigerate it until it's firm. Then use a tablespoon or so to stuff raw chicken breasts. It gives flavor and provides moistness to the cooked meat.

Finally, you can use the compound butter to put on steammed vegetables, like broccoli and spaghetti squash.

Hope these help someone.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:08 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
great ideas Marvin, thanks!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Um....snuggie...I have to comment........

""Cows get fed corn instead of the grass they are suppossed to have to make them fat. Then they have to be fed hormones so they don't die from eating the corn, cause cow tummys weren't designed at all for corn, just grass.""

We raise some beef cattle...and they eat corn and hay...and at NO time are they pumped full of hormones so they don't die. ~I've NEVER heard of that. Must be a urban legend. Now maybe the 'store bought' beef has hormones pumped in...and maybe they are raised in a cattlemill~but I don't think it's because they're stomaches can't handle corn.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

We know a little something about beef in Nebraska.

Hormones are fed to cattle to increase growth, not to typically correct dietary deficiencies. When they are fed these, they have to be removed from them a certain time period before slaughter, though we know that there is some residual effect in these still.

It's true however that cattle's rumen cannot naturally handle a a lot of corn, and so heavy corn feeding usually requires additional antibiotic/etc., often given in feed supplements, but otherwise, too. Also the "monochromatic" corn diet often doesn't give them the additional things they need to fight disease, so at times more antibiotics are needed.

Grass-fed cattle, with no additional antibiotics, growth hormones, etc., are more desirable from a health standpoint, but are like venison in that their meat is tougher, drier, etc. It is corn-feeding that gives the marbling. Also keep in mind that the toxins from these will reside in the fat, which is more plentiful in cornfed beef.

If you are raising cattle, feeding them either some corn, or no corn, no hormones or additional antibiotics, it is probably a very good product, that would be more healthy to consume.

However, for most of us, access to that type of beef is either non-existent or only available at places like "Whole Paycheck" at a substantial cost. For some of us, venison is readily available at a relatively low price and we are glad to the point of overflowing at times.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:44 PM   #24
Gadget Gal

Quote:
For some of us, venison is readily available at a relatively low price and we are glad to the point of overflowing at times.
If you don't stop it RIGHT NOW, I AM gonna show up on your doorstep....
Old 12-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #25
Gadget Gal

Also regarding cattle and a predominately corn diet, I found this entry in Dr. Michael Eades' blog particularly interesting, after the e coli spinach scare, which I think was ultimately blamed on runoff from cattle contaminating the spinach fields:

"In the good old days a few years back a natural cycle occurred. Farmers grew silage that fed the animals; the animals produced waste that fertilized the silage. Now giant farming conglomerates produce huge quantities of hybrid corn that feed the animals (and make the high-fructose corn syrup that feeds to many of us). The animal waste, instead of being used for fertilizer (which is now produced chemically) is now a major disposal problem.

The lethal strain of E. coli known as 0157:H7, responsible for this latest outbreak of food poisoning, was unknown before 1982; it is believed to have evolved in the gut of feedlot cattle. These are animals that stand around in their manure all day long, eating a diet of grain that happens to turn a cow’s rumen into an ideal habitat for E. coli 0157:H7. (The bug can’t survive long in cattle living on grass.) Industrial animal agriculture produces more than a billion tons of manure every year, manure that, besides being full of nasty microbes like E. coli 0157:H7 (not to mention high concentrations of the pharmaceuticals animals must receive so they can tolerate the feedlot lifestyle), often ends up in places it shouldn’t be, rather than in pastures, where it would not only be harmless but also actually do some good. To think of animal manure as pollution rather than fertility is a relatively new (and industrial) idea."

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 12-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My favorite way to do the the backtrap (either whole or steaks/chops) is: Find a nice marinade (either commercial, or make your own), or simply a cheap Italian Salad Dressing, and marinade for a few hours/overnight/however long you want to.
OMG! I marinated the backstrap in Italian dressing for about six hours, sliced it thin, and pan fried it. It was to die for!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Interesting~!!!

It's true....I know my BIL grinds the corn into feed..and puts additives like minerals and vitamins in the feed. Who knows what else is added..but I know it's not hormones.

It's true...I'm spoiled in the aspect of I've always had this beef around...and during the fall we usually raise a couple of pigs. (only this year my son raised a 4-H pig..and we got it late)~we usually sell one...and butcher one for the freezer. (Or I should say...send it to the butcher)LOL!

I think animalmills are cruel...our cows roam...and graze during the day. I can't imagine being penned up like that...just force fed all day..standing in the manure. How sad.