Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yohoney
Stats: 267.5/256.5/NORMAL
WOE: Very clean low carb
Start Date: 2/4/06
Does Salmon Filet taste really fishy?

I despise canned salmon, but I've heard salmon filet is really good. For those who have tried it, does it have a really fishy taste? I'd like to branch out and eat more seafood, but I just can't stand fishy.
Yohoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2006, 05:42 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: AmyJuli
Stats: 177 high, 122 low, lots in between
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/9/03
It's definately less fishy than canned salmon. I say if you want to try it, just get one serving from the fish counter and give it a shot.

Tilapia is really mild tasting, if you've never tried that.
AmyJuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:39 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohoney
I despise canned salmon, but I've heard salmon filet is really good. For those who have tried it, does it have a really fishy taste? I'd like to branch out and eat more seafood, but I just can't stand fishy.

I am with you, I can't stand fishy taste. I have never found a fish that doesn't have that fishy taste to it. I have tried lots of different kinds too. My husband loves fish and orders it every time we go out, I always try a little taste to see, but it all tastes fishy to me, including salmon. But just to show that I am wierd, I do eat canned tuna. But fresh tuna gags me.

I have wanted to do the same thing and increase the fish in my diet but I just can't get past the taste. And canned tuna is not safe to eat too often because of the mercury content.

Good Luck to you I hope you can find one that suits you.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alison Jean 71
Stats: 159/121/119 5'6" 40yrs
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: January 3, 2004
I recently added salmon in my diet. I had never tried it before because I just figured I did not like it. It is a little fishy but not too fishy. I found I really like it. If you are looking for a fish that is not fishy, try Mahi Mahi on the grill with a little butter and garlic. It is delicious. It is the only fish my DD eats. She says it tastes like chicken.
Alison Jean 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
There are many factors too into what MAKES it taste fishy - how fresh it is, how it is prepared, what KIND of salmon it is -

To me, you cannot beat a very fresh King salmon filet. It's not fishy and it's delicious. OTOH, a farm-raised, frozen & defrosted filet is NOT something I'm very fond of.

You might be best off to try it in a restaurant first and see if you like it. Living where you do, it may be difficult to get a really fresh piece of fish!

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: bettyee
Stats: *
WOE: Atkins
Can't stand it. Nasty stuff.
bettyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Belle9
Start Date: Apr 2002; Restart Jan 3 2006; restart Nov 6 2007
Sigh, my mother, who is L-Cing with me, is the same way about fish (except canned tuna), yet she wants to eat more fish. She has entrusted to me the task of finding, and cooking, fish that she will like. Grrrr! I do not have much experience with fish, whether it be eating or cooking it. Well, I do adore sushi!

Hey, I remember that if you cook a whole fresh fish covered in rock salt, the salt will absorb all the fishiness! I think I got that from Dana Carpender's 500 LC recipes cookbook.

Halibut is pretty non-fishy, too. And, yes, the fresher it is, the less fishy it is ... just not to my mother!
Belle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
If you are looking for the BENEFITS of eating fish WITHOUT eating fish - why not take a good fish oil capsule? I buy mine at Costco because they are highly rated and I take one every day, whether or not I'm eating FISHY fish!

It'd be like me eating earthworms because they're so high in protein. YUCK! Not going there! So I substitute another form of good protein - like Prime Rib! LOL!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote