Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2006, 02:08 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SecheltSarah
Yogurt Fast Recipe

Crockpot Yogurt

Place 2 quarts of cold whole milk into crockpot.
Cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.
Turn off heat.
Allow to cool to 110F (will take 2-3 hours0
Add 1/4 cup yogurt with active culture, or a package of dry
yogurt starter (Yogourmet is good) mixed in a cup with a little
of the warm milk.
Replace the lid, and place a thick towel on top for insulation
and allow to set for 4 hours. Remove yogurt and refrigerate.

I don't know if my dry starter was "off" but my yogurt needed to
sit overnight.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
WHAT A SMART IDEA!!!
I've been lurking about for years and never saw this one!
I'm posting a reply so that it will come alive again for others to see.

I plan on eating alot of yogurt and making it quart by quart is getting on my nerves I wonder if doing this with my 5 quart Crock and a Gallon of Milk will work. I plan to add the starter then put in in my styrofoam cooler to keep the heat in and let it sit overnight (Cause I like it TART )

I think if I made a whole gallon at once then I'll have something significant left over after draining the whey to make yocheese.

Thanks for the Recipe and Wish me luck.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR="Red"]Let us know how making it by the gallon does please. [/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:17 AM   #4

OMG, , Looks Like I've got a CROCK FULL OF YOGURT!

Okay, here's the update: (I haven't cooled it yet)

Yesterday I got a gallon of whole milk. I put the crock on low and poured the entire gallon into to ceramic bowl. BTW my crock is 6 quarts not five. Anyway, I set my timer for 2.5 hours and checked the temperature afterward. The temp was only 160, so I turned the crock to high and checked it every 15 minutes till it got to 180 degrees, then I took the ceramic crock out of the base and sat it on the counter.

I went to work for a couple of hours and came back to measure the temp, which was a pleasant 115 degrees. I opened a fresh container of Cascade Fresh Plain Whole Milk Yogurt with 8 culters and scooped out maybe a half cup, I mixed it with an equal of amount of the warm milk. (Note that I had not added anything to the milk as I usually do, No extra dry milk, No extra cream, Just plain milk) I stirred the warm blended yogurt into the large crock of warm milk. (that's when I discovered that I hadn't bothered to check if the crock would actually fit in my styrofoam container It didn't But if I turned it on it's side, I could shimmy it in. Note to self: check these things before you are almost finished! ) I was worried that I may not maintain the temp all night especially after addng the rather cool yogurt so I put it back into the base on high for a few minutes to warm up the ceramic, (but the temp only rose a degree)

Anyway, because the lid to the styrofoam box wouldn't actually close completely with the crock in it sideways, I took a blanket and stuffed it into the openings. A couple hours before bed I panicked and went after my heating pad. I set it on low and stuffed that inside the box on the side that was open and replaced the blanket. This was around 9:00 last night.

My timer went off around 5am, and I dutifully ignored it :blush: And I got up this morning, leaped out of bed, (OMG the yogurt!) got dressed and prepared for disappointment. . . . . . I slid the crock out of the box and

IT LOOKS LIKE I'VE GOT A CROCK OF YOGURT!
I'll let you know how it sets up once it has cooled
Old 10-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
How long will homemade yogurt keep after its made?

Just wondering.

I've been thinking of trying this on a smaller scale, but just wondering since I can usually get yogurt 2 or 3 for $1, is it that much better to make it yourself?
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
How long will homemade yogurt keep after its made?

since I can usually get yogurt 2 or 3 for $1, is it that much better to make it yourself?
I would think it would keep as long as the commercial stuff given a couple of considerations: Once I made Yogurt in Glass Canning Jars that I sterilized in boiling water just before adding the inoculated milk. then I put the canning lids on top. I use a few right away but forgot about one for about whole month. It tasted fine and didn't have the green stuff I usually get on the sides if I open store yougurt and don't use it right away. So there is that.

I don't know if it would be worth it, monetary wise, to make your own yogurt, if you can buy a quart for only $1. Or do you mean the single serve size 6oz? I buy Kroger Pre-flavored Yogurt for .39cents, but I dilute it with plain.

Store bought costs me at least $2.69/quart if I buy Dannon, the cheapest brand for me. The others are like 2.99 and 3.39 and up. For a Gallon of Milk at $3.49, I can make the crock style and create $12.00 worth of yogurt in one night. If you include the cost of purchasing a quart of Yogurt it costs (with tax) $6.43. That is twenty-one 6 oz servings at 30 cents a piece, or $1.61/quart. After that, only buying the milk and using my own yogurt as the starter, The cost drops to 17 cents/6 oz, or $0.90 per quart. That's a great price for me

If you want to just make a little, I used to buy half gallons of milk on sale and make 2 quarts of yogurt by boiling the milk in the microwave in the jars, letting it cool, adding the innoculant, putting the canning lid on top, then putting into the styrofoam container filled with hot (not boiling) water, overnight.

BTW, the batch I made sunday set up well and tasted fine. I've put away 3 quarts and have the 4th quart draining as we speak. Of course It's not very thick considering I used only milk and no cream or powder. The next test will be to see how it drains. I've had homemade yogurts not curdled well enough and the entire amount dripped out with the whey

The crock did have a little scortched milk around the rim and in the bottom edge, but the yogurt didn't smell or taste bad. It was more stuck on than burnt so I'm not worried, that happens with any recipe I make in the crock-pot.

My boyfriend asked me what I was going to do with so much yogurt
Old 10-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Thanks for all the info. It sounds very interesting, making your own yogurt. My Mom used to make her own years ago, but she had one of those yogurt maker thingies with the little cups, etc. I'll have to see if she is still making it herself.

I see it would be much cheaper to make it yourself...

The yogurts I just got were Dannon and 6oz each and this time they were 5/$2 for vanilla. The store brand is 3/$1 and 8oz, but they were out of vanilla last time.

And what are you going to use all that yogurt for? (I'm just teasing you)

Last edited by SugarBabi; 10-02-2006 at 06:35 PM..
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:15 PM   #8

I dunno, Sugarbabi, maybe after I drain it some, I''l add some cream to it and put it into my icecream maker . . .YUM.

Actually I have an entire shelf of Kroger Light Yogurt just waiting to be split half and half with the yocheese I'm draining. It makes it so much creamier and less sweet. My favorite is the French Apple Pie! Double Yum!!

I just want to make a ton of yocheese cause it's so cool and great to use.

And I thought about making pickles with the whey but I'm still looking for recipes. . .
Old 10-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
You also don't get any additives when you make your own. Dannon plain doesn't have any but lots of flavored yogurts in the stores do. I made yocheese the other day and it was delicious--had a problem with portion control though.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:46 AM   #10

180 Degrees: It's not about killing germs . . .

This past weekend, I made another gallon of yogurt.
I didn't follow the insructions properly though (didn't let it get to 180 degrees)

It got to 160 and I was in a hurry to leave, so I didn't turn it to high and heat it the additional 20 degrees. I figured I poured it straight from the just opened bottle, so I may not have gotten any bad bugs in it.

anyway, the top seemed to set just right but the middle and bottom portion was more runny than usual. Kinda Kefir consistancy.

I read that heating it changes the proteins to make it thicker after the fermentation period, so next time, it's all the way to 180.

I was just being lazy because last time the milk stuck to the sides a lot and I figured I'd have less stick if it didn't get so hot, WON'T REPEAT THAT FOLLY!
I'd rather scrub a little and have great yogurt!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:17 AM   #11
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Actually I have an entire shelf of Kroger Light Yogurt just waiting to be split half and half with the yocheese I'm draining. It makes it so much creamier and less sweet. My favorite is the French Apple Pie! Double Yum!!
The Kroger french apple pie and the blackberry pie are the best! Great flavor
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: eshlemania
Stats: 132/120/110
WOE: Blood type diet
Start Date: Dec 2008
If I want to make yocheese or is it greek yogurt, how long do I let it drain? And are both the same thing or different things? I made some yogurt in my crock pot and I am so pleased. I had to let it go over night. Also, I did not make sure the temp got to 180 degrees. Could that be why it didn't set as quickly? But I had yogurt in the morning. I put half in the fridge to eat as yogurt and drained the other half for about a day and a half. I kind of forgot it. But I put a little divinci carmel in it and it was like pudding!! Very, very good. So, how many carbs do I count for that? It's a little more concentrated than the regular yogurt. I guessed about 5 gm for 1/2 cup. But it was worth every gram.

Thanks so much for this recipe. I have been wanting to do yogurt for a long time and tried several different things. Couldn't find something to work. Now I have.

Thanks again,
Bev
eshlemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #13

Hey Bev, Congratulations on your Crock pot yogurt

I knew there had to be an easier way to make this stuff, and Kudo's to SecheltSarah for showing it to us.

I've never gotten any hard numbers on the yocheese carbs, but I read a lactofermentation page that said that for every two cups of yogurt you'd get one cup of drained yo-cheese, but I've been told most of the carbs are in the whey (in the way, get it ) ahem .:blush: so the longer it drains the less carbs it has .

My last batch came out liquidy but I din't get it to 180 degrees, so It is more important I think if you want thicker yogurt. I just drained the most liquidy part of it today, while I was at work. It was so thin that a little bit seeped through the papertowel but not much and there was less than usual left in the colander, but it tasted like silk. (what does silk taste like )
The whey came out just the same if not more, since this tastes a little sweeter than usual.

Today,after telling her this recipe, my coworker asked me "HOW MUCH YOGURT DO YOU EAT EACH DAY!? ) I've decided to only do this recipe every other week, I've been eating way to much yogurt lately
Old 10-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
The Kroger french apple pie and the blackberry pie are the best! Great flavor
The Folks at Kroger stare at me when I'm buy 24 of them at a time
Old 10-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I read a lactofermentation page that said that for every two cups of yogurt you'd get one cup of drained yo-cheese, but I've been told most of the carbs are in the whey (in the way, get it ) ahem . so the longer it drains the less carbs it has .

All that good taste and lower carbs!! Yea!

Thanks for the info,
Bev
Old 10-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Does it have to be a crockpot or would any slow cooker work -- mine is metal? Would love to make my own as DD and I go thru yogurt quite quickly -- she has a yogurt shake for breakfast most mornings. Considering the savings, might be worth buying a regular crockpot if the metal slowcooker won't work.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:08 PM   #17

I'm guessing at this.

I think one of the benefits of this method of yogurt making is that the heating and the incubation takes place in one container so there is no transfering of the milk and no heat loss and less chance of contamination.

I think the best benefit is in the principle of the ceramic crock concerning heat loss. Someone mentioned how they lost power one day while her crock was cooking dinner and the crock maintained enough heat long enough to keep the food at a safe temperature till the power came back. It is the ability to retain heat that makes it a great incubator. I've not seen a metal slow cooker, but it stands to reason that it would probably lose it's heat a lot faster than a ceramic crock would.

Any container can make yogurt so long as it stays within the optimum temperature range for at least 4 hours or longer. If you can find a way to keep the tempereature with your metal slowcooker (by wrapping it in towels for example) or like I did by putting the whole dang thing in a styrofoam chest, you can make yogurt in it. I once made yogurt in mason jars that were submerged in hotwater in my styrofoam chest and it came out fine.

I would test it first with plain water to make sure you kept aroun 115, If you can't maintain that then you'd need to find a way to keep it warm, maybe with a personal heating pad or something similar.

Let Us Know If you try it and how it works out!
Old 10-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Thanks for all of that information. This just might be a nice project for tomorrow (as if I don't have enough projects, LOL).

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:15 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
Dumb question, but how do test the temperature? I would love to try this with my crockpot!
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

I use a candy thermometer.

Bev
Old 10-15-2006, 06:28 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
Awesome! I've got one of those! Thanks!
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, I tried this the second time and did things a little differently. I heated the milk on the stove to 180 degrees while warming the inside crock for my crock pot in the oven on warm. When I reached 180 degrees, I pored it into my crock. I was thinking next time, I won't warm the crock and pour the warm milk in and see how much quicker it cools. I would say it cooled in about a half an hour this time. Then I made a hot box. Actually, I made this while heating the milk on the stove. You take a large cardboard box and crumple newspapers in the bottom of it. a little over halfway full. When the milk in the crock cools to 110, you set it in the box and crumple papers till the sides are nicely packed and the crock is nested. There was about 2" between the crock and the side of the box. Put the lid on and cover with two towels. Set in quiet corner. In 4 hours I had nice thick yogurt. Yea!!

Bev

Save your box for next time.

Last edited by eshlemania; 10-16-2006 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Needed to at postscript
Old 11-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #23

Hey, eshlemania, I've been wondering for a couple of weeks now, and just now got around to asking about your yogurt making experience.

Are you using the ceramic crock from a slow cooker, and if so, why did you choose to heat the milk in a separate container on the stove, instead of in the crock and base? and how do you heat it.

I'm really curious. One of the reasons this recipe is a godsend for me is that I had a terrible time scalding milk properly and almost ruined one of my pots with burnt milk . Making it in the crock and letting it heat up and cool down on its own seems so much easier and less supervisorilly (is that a word ) intense, that I wonder why you chose the traditional method of scalding.

I like that it keeps me from being a perfectionist and ruining it like a lot of my previous batches. Yesterday I decided to make another gallon. Since , on the last batch, I got impatient and cooled it too soon (before 180) I figured I'd let it warm for another hour. Little did I know, until I checked the temperature that my crock pot was. DUN DUN DUN UNPLUGGED .
Three hours later and it finally was warm enough, . . . it was also midnight. So I thought, Great, what am i going to do with all of this HOT milk So I said, "Oh, well" and instead of leaving it on the counter to cool, for a few hours, I left it in the base, which was still radiating heat and went to sleep.

When I got up for a potty break at 5 am, I checked the temperature (After washing my hands ) and it was just under 120. So I stirred in some yogurt, stuffed it in the styrofoam hot box and turned on the heat pad, and went back to sleep. Fourteen HOURS later, (Hey I have a job to go to) I pulled it out and YOGURT!

I think about all the trouble I've gone through in the past, keeping an eye on that stuff, the traditional way and how even with all my blunders, it still worked out, all because of my lovely simple crock pot.

Oh, yeah, the real reason for this post is to hold myself accountable for another blunder. In my eagerness to reclaim my crock, I transferred the yogurt before it had cooled and there seemed to be a lot of whey. I'm cooling it now and will check the results tomorrow morn. I usually cool it in the crock then transfer. We'll see how this works out.
I'm hoping I get silk again.

Last edited by metqa; 11-06-2006 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: new thoughts
Old 11-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Well, you had said that your crock couldn't get it up to 180 on low and you had to turn it up to high and take it's temp till it got to 180. I clean houses and I am home off and on during the day, but I wanted to get my yogurt into the hot box as quick as possible. So, I decided to use a pan. I haven't burnt anything yet. I use low heat, of course, and stir and check temp frequently. I really appreciate the recipe though, I would have never thought of using my crock liner as a yogurt maker. I make a little over half a gallon each week. We are loving our yogurt and yopudding (it just sounds better than yocheese and when you put some divinci it it-it is pudding!!) I have yogurt curing as I type. It will be done at 11 tonight. I like to let it cure 5 hours as it gets nice and thick.

Thanks again.
Bev
Old 11-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #25

Oh, I see. Yeah, it does sound much faster. I think the original recipe called for only 2 quarts of milk, and I was doing 1 gallon. I didn't think about it at the time, but it WOULD take longer for twice as much milk to get to temp. Plus, I think I was being impatient. That's the perfectionist in me. when the time was up and it wasn't hot, I couldn't leave well enough alone :blush:

I think this last time letting it go for a full 3 hours on low, it got hot enough.

thanks for replying.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #26

Reynolds to the RESCUE!

Well, I'm at it again.
I'd made a couple of batches of yogurt right before thanksgiving and then left it while I was gone, so I just finished using up that yogurt.

Okay, ready for some GROSSness My crock was stuck with milk on the bottom, even after I washed it pretty well. I was busy so I put a splash of vinegar in, covered it and planned to get back to it. . . Well, I left for thanksgiving and forgot all about it. When I came back and opened the lid, the vinegar, it seems, had dissolved the stuck on milk, but it turned GREEN

O.K. I cannot deal with this any more. DA da da DA! Reynolds to the RESCUE. I got a slowcooker liner in the mail as a promotional freebie, but never used it since I don't have too much trouble with food sticking. ( My chili never sticks) But after several yogurt experiments and scrub sessions, I thought I'd give it a try.

I used the REynold SlowCooker Liner 13 in x 21 in for 5 to 6 Qt cookers. It was actually very rectangular shaped but it fit well enough with some hanging over the edge. Dumped the milk in, turned the temp on HIGH this time (instead of low). A couple of hours later I checked the temperature. It easily got to 180, when I realized [COLOR="Blue"]I DIDN'T HAVE ANY FRESH YOGURT[/COLOR] Scramble, scramble, "What's that in the bottom drawer of the fridge? Yay!" "Freeze Dried Yogurt Starter!". ( a great gift to give a friend for when they forget to buy fresh starter) Mixed it up tossed it in, went to sleep.

Results: I think I prefer the the fresh yogurt with 8 cultures to just the acidopholis starter, but I made YOUGURT. The best part is that After I scoope out some for draining, and scooped out some for starter, I just pulled the whole bag out and poured the rest into a large tupperware, and the crock is CLEAN *GLEAM AMAZING

I love you all! Happy Yogurt Making and Happy Holidays!
Old 01-07-2007, 12:32 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CookingCajun
Stats: 170/125/135
Start Date: 8-1-06
Sounds like a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to making this recipe!!! I've made my own kefir in a similar technique, but not with a crockpot.

Happy LCing!!!
CookingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
I used to get milk for free from a friend who owned a dairy farm. I always had gallons of the stuff, so I started to make yogurt. One day, I had more milk/starter mixture than would fit in my yogurt maker, so I put the excess in little cartons leftover from store bought yogurt. I put the lids on them, put them in my stainless steel dutch oven, put the lid on the dutch oven, and set the whole shebang on a heating pad (set on low) overnight. In the morning, it was beautiful yogurt! Easy as pie and certainly as good as what the yogurt maker made!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kayan
Start Date: Nov. 2000
I make yogurt also. Once I have brought the milk & cream to the proper temp, cool and added the yogurt I pour it into a Plastic thermos jug, gallon size, the kind that you take to a picnic or your kids sports events. I pour boiling water in the jug and put the cover on while the milk is cooling. then dump it out and add the milk when the temp is correct. I let it set over night and perfect every time.
kayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
Start Date: 3/18/11
I can't wait to try to make some yogurt. I have been reading around about it all day.
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote