Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #1141
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
They don't freeze up hard like ice, it's more like thick ice cream.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #1142
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Bump because I am going to make these. Yum!
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #1143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zogo
Stats: 193/159/145
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 6/20/11
I tried freezing mine and they were hard as rocks. Maybe my freezer is cold, but I much preferred them refrigerated. Make them every week and have my DH eating them for breakfast as he flies out the door.
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #1144
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Offering another flavor combination.

I love plain NY cheesecake. No topping, no crust, just a good, dense cheesecake (I do NOT like the Cheesecake Factory's cheesecakes--too fluffy), just to give you a context.

I always make half batches, so this last time, I made a half batch with

8 oz Philadelphia cream cheese
1 large egg
Just under 1/4 cup SF coconut syrup
a couple drops of sweetzfree liquid Splenda
lemon juice to taste

I rubbed coconut oil in the silicone muffin cups, added the batter, and placed them in a water bath. They still cracked, but whatever.

I loved the flavor. The lemon gives it a NY cheesecake taste, and the coconut cuts it just enough to be delicious. The texture was perfect: creamy and dense while still formed.

Usually I just sweeten with liquid splenda, and add lemon juice. The addition of the coconut syrup made them even better. But I do have an unnatural fondness for the coconut syrups.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #1145
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
beautiful! and the addition of the coconut syrup sounds great!
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #1146
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
I just made a batch but I only had half a pack of cream cheese, and no sour cream. So I made half cream cheese and the same quantity of marscapone, and a couple of drops of lemon essence, and I think its going to work. I have them chilling in the fridge now
makrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #1147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
I sometimes use the Capella Drops in New York Cheesecake and Strawberry Cheesecake flavors to add a more cheesecake flavor to them. Have to add a bit more sweetener, but I do anyway as the original recipe isn't sweet enough for me.

I also add 1/2 c. sour cream to the recipe - yum!

Last edited by vanilla_latte; 03-27-2013 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Grammar!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #1148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alcmene
Stats: 1st:196//125 Now:170/157/140
Start Date: November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by makrida View Post
I just made a batch but I only had half a pack of cream cheese, and no sour cream. So I made half cream cheese and the same quantity of marscapone, and a couple of drops of lemon essence, and I think its going to work. I have them chilling in the fridge now
I absolutely love mascarpone!

I have not made these in like forever, so got some in the oven right now!
Alcmene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #1149
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loripetnut
I made my first batch yesterday.......used strawberry extract and some sugarfree jam on top. YUMMY! I am so glad I found this thread! :-D
loripetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #1150

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
But I do have an unnatural fondness for the coconut syrups.

I think of these more as cheesecakes than "muffins". Every time I see this thread bumped I have to remember what these are.

I haven't made these in a long time since I've been making no bake drained yogurt/cream cheese cheesecake pies( which happens to be lighter in texture and easy to whip up). But you are right, a nice dense cheesecake is what this should taste like, IMO.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #1151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeanyyy
Stats: 227.1/160.4/155/5'6"
WOE: HCG-Omni/Intermountain
I made these recently using only about 6 oz of cream cheese and the Da Vinci syrup. They were awesome! My favorite way to eat them is to cover them with defrosted frozen wild blueberries and a bit of cream. Yum!
Jeanyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #1152
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post

I think of these more as cheesecakes than "muffins". Every time I see this thread bumped I have to remember what these are.

I haven't made these in a long time since I've been making no bake drained yogurt/cream cheese cheesecake pies( which happens to be lighter in texture and easy to whip up). But you are right, a nice dense cheesecake is what this should taste like, IMO.
Definitely not muffins. I like them much better than muffins.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:57 AM   #1153
JLx
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JLx
Quote:

I haven't made these in a long time since I've been making no bake drained yogurt/cream cheese cheesecake pies( which happens to be lighter in texture and easy to whip up).
Sounds good, how do you make them?
JLx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:22 AM   #1154

I take about a quart of homemade or storebought yogurt, set it into a colander with a coffee filter to drain until the whey stops flowing.

Then, I'll blend it up with a block of softened cream cheese, some lemon juice and some sweetener to my taste. Sometimes, I'll heat the sweetener up with hot water to make it more syrupy so it blends easier than a powder would.

to finish, I'll either put it into a graham crust, or a nut crust or no crust and spread sugar free fruit jam on top. It freezes well. I like to make it in miniature springform pans for a mini desert with about 2-3 normal sized servings or 6 mini taster size servings.

It's a lower calorie version of my BF's Mom's Cherry Cheesecake pie. The original recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk and I use home sweetened drained yogurt. I like it better, it's less thick, sweet and cloying to me. My BF hates it, even if I sweeten the yogurt with real sugar. He says it's not thick and gooey enough. It's good enough to me. Sometimes, I don't even put the fruit jam all over the top, just in a ring near the crust. It looks pretty that way is is sweet enough.

I've made Cleo's nut crust for this and it's great: Equal parts cashew, almond, and macadamia, ground up with a bit of sweetener and pressed into the cake pan form.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #1155
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loripetnut
Metqa......that sounds so good! Do you have this as a written recipe to share? I'm so new at this low carb, no sugar stuff I measure everything in the hopes what I'm making will turn out. I'm prediabetic and trying to prevent it from going full blown like my relatives.

How do you subscribe to a thread? I've tried and can't seem to find out how to do that. I want to keep track of this one for sure!

My next batch of these little gems will use pecan or praline extract with a nut crust and some chopped pecans on top. Should be good. I have silicone muffin cups I just pop into my muffin pan. When I let these cool off I put pan and all in the fridge to chill. They pop out quite easily then.
loripetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #1156
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
When you comment in a thread it automatically subscribes you to a thread but you can also go to the top of a thread and subscribe by clicking on "thread tools" located right below the page numbers and subscribe to a thread that way.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #1157
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
when you want to look at a thread that you've posted in or subscribed to, you click on " quick links " ( blue bar top right ) and then the bottom item on the list " subscribed threads "
makrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by loripetnut View Post
Metqa......that sounds so good! Do you have this as a written recipe to share? I'm so new at this low carb, no sugar stuff I measure everything in the hopes what I'm making will turn out. I'm prediabetic and trying to prevent it from going full blown like my relatives.

How do you subscribe to a thread? I've tried and can't seem to find out how to do that. I want to keep track of this one for sure!

My next batch of these little gems will use pecan or praline extract with a nut crust and some chopped pecans on top. Should be good. I have silicone muffin cups I just pop into my muffin pan. When I let these cool off I put pan and all in the fridge to chill. They pop out quite easily then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaa
you can also go to the top of a thread and subscribe by clicking on "thread tools" located right below the page numbers and subscribe to a thread that way.
I prefer to do it this way if I have nothing to add to the conversation but I want to lurk in the thread. If you do it that way, then it won't bump the thread and a bunch of people come to find out "whats new" and the only thing said is "Bump" or "Subscribe" That's one of my pet peeves

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post15196315
This is the post where I first mentioned it, and here is the cut and paste:
Quote:
Cherry Cheesecake Pie- Metqanized

Ok, so the original recipe goes like this:

1 graham cracker Pie crust (Keebler Ready Crust -880kcal, Fat-40 g, Carb-112 g, pro-8 g)
1 can condensed sweetened milk (1300 kcal, Fat-30 g, Carb- 220 g, pro-30 g)
1 block cream cheese room temp or softened (800 kcal, F-80 g, Carb-16g, pro-16g)
3-4 T Fresh squeezed lemon Juice/Real Lemon Brand/frozen Juice (14 kcal, Fat-0 g, Carb- 5 g, pro-0g)
1/2 can cherry pie filling (350 kcal, Fat- 0 g, Carb- 88 g, pro- g)

Blend the cream cheese with the condensed milk and lemon juice till smooth, then pour into the pie crust, cover and refrigerate till chilled and set. After chilled, top with Cherry Pie filling. Serve.

[...]

My ingredients List

Graham Cracker Pie Crust (-880kcal, F-40g, Carb-112g, pro-8g) (You could make an almond flour crust, but I was under time restraint or I didn't feel like bothering since I was loading anyway, take your pick)
1 Quart Plain full fat yogurt drained overnight , about two cups (480 kcal, Fat - 32g, Carb-23 g, pro-28g)*
1 block cream cheese room temp or softened (800 kcal, F-80 g, Carb-16g, pro-16g)
3-4 T Fresh squeezed lemon Juice/Real Lemon Brand/frozen Juice (14 kcal, Fat-0 g, Carb- 5 g, pro-0g)
1 cup Granular Splenda (96 Kcal, 24 carbs) You can use a liquid sweetener for less carbs.
1/2 can Comstock Brand Sugar Free cherry pie filling (123 kcal, Fat- 0 g, Carb- 28 g, pro-0 g)

The day before, Drain your quart of Plain yogurt by lining a small colander with a large coffee filter or paper towels, placing it over a bowl so that it sits on the rim, not down in the bowl, and pour the yogurt into the colander. Let drain overnight on the counter for faster results, cover with a clean dish cloth or a pot pan lid to keep any flying creatures or dust out. Check after an hour and drain, If you don't the whey will rise up to touch and saturate the yogurt and it won't drain dry.

In a mixing bowl add the Splenda, drained yogurt, cream cheese, and lemon juice. This order keeps the dry splenda from flying out when you start the blender. Blend on low till everything is smooth and incorporated. Taste and adjust lemon or sweetness. Pour into pie crust, smooth and flatten the surface to the edge, cover and refrigerate. When chilled top with cherry topping and serve.

BF doesn't like the large cherries, so I take the topping and buzz it a couple of times in the food chopper to make them smaller bits, but not liquified. In fact, I find the filling too liquidy so I just pull out the cherries and buzz those for a nice thick non-runny topping.

Aagh Numbers. Here goes

Regular Pie Total - 3344 Calories, 230g Fat, 441g carbs, 54g protein
Metqanized Pie Total - 2393 Calories, 152g fat, 208g carbs, 52g protein

Per 1/8 slice
Regular Pie Total - 418 Calories, 29g Fat, 55g carbs, 7g protein
Metqanized Pie Total - 299 Calories, 19g fat, 26g carbs, 7g protein

Wow!! 25% less Calories, and Less than Half the Carbs, and that's still with a regular graham cracker crust!!
Tee Hee
I'm bad at almond flour pie crusts, BUT if you are good at making them, then Good On Ya! Make one and lower the carbs EVEN MORE!
Plus you can shave off 3 g carbs per serving by using a liquid zero carb sweetener instead of granular Splenda.

Quote:
My calculations for yogurt cheese nutritional info

I started with the nutritional info on my whole milk that I make my yogurt with. It has per cup 150 calories, 12 carbs, 8grams fat, 8 grams protein.

On a tracker 1 cup of whey is as follows: 60 calories, 12.6 carbs, .2 grams fat, 1.9 grams protein.

So if we start with 2 cups of yogurt we have: 300 calories, 24 carbs, 16 grams fat, 16 grams protein.

When we drain the whey off the yogurt we end up with approximately 1 cup whey and one cup of yogurt cheese.

So by difference 1 cup of yogurt cheese should be as follows: 240 calories,
11.4 carbs, 15.8 grams fat, 14.1 grams protein.

We can check this by multiplying 4 for carbs, 9 for fat, and 4 for protein and indeed we end up with about 240 calories.

So we see that yogurt cheese does have more fat than plain yogurt, but the carb difference is not that great so throwing out the whey does not make that much difference unless of course all the carbs in the whey are digestible. One thing to note though is that the calories are higher because of the extra fat. So if you are counting calories too, I would take this into consideration especially if you are doing a full yogurt fast which should be less than 1000 calories.

Hope this helps with some confusion with the yogurt cheese.

Amy

Year of the Rabbit
Now, I have come to prefer to use the regular Sugar Free Jams rather than the pie fillings, cause you get more flavors to play with, and I have a sugar blend I use that is a combo of Splenda, Xylitol, Erythritol, and Diabetisweet and that I think is more sugar in texture than only splenda or only Ez-Sweets Liquid sweetener. Once i took my sweetener blend and dissolved it into hot water and heated it to make a syrup that reduced the graininess that you sometimes get mixing sweeteners with cold dairy or fat.

Anyway, this is the nobake "cheesecake" pie filling that I prefer to the one with condensed milk and recently to the cooked version cause it's a bit lighter in texture, but not nearly as high in fat as the baked muffin version I don't think.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #1159
JLx
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JLx
Sounds good and simple, thanks for posting.
JLx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #1160
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Definitely not muffins. I like them much better than muffins.
I agree!!! They are NOT muffins!! The only resemblance to a muffin is that they are baked in a muffin pan! The name has always bugged me. But they can call them anything they want to call them I guess.
But (again) the name is very misleading I think.

There, I've finally said it (thanks guys for bringing that up, I've been reluctant to say anything). Like I said it has always bugged me.

I personally would (and do) call them mini cheese cakes. But then I guess that might be a misnomer to some. To me that's what they are tho.

For me they are definitely NOT breakfast, but rather dessert or snack. Not really substantial enough for me for breakfast. But that's me. To each his/her own! Would be better than NO breakfast for sure.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #1161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
Start Date: 3/18/11
I just made the no bake version you posted, metqa. Can't wait try it.
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #1162
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KVark
Stats: 215/200/140
Start Date: March 2013
I just made these (from the recipe on the first page) and they are delicious! I had one while it was still warm and then put them in the fridge overnight and had one for breakfast this morning, and it was even better! It satisfied my sweet tooth and everything! I will definitely be keeping these on hand!
KVark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #1163
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peretroika
Stats: 5'2 140lbs
Last night I made a raspberry lemon version....SO hard for us not to eat the entire pan! I used a few squirts stevia, I think 1/2 c of sweetener would be very sweet! Also, I didn't have liners, and after using Pam they didn't stick to the sides at all.

What a great recipe!
peretroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #1164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heheher View Post
I just made the no bake version you posted, metqa. Can't wait try it.
Sooo, Did you like it? How did it turn out? Did you use a crust? What sweetener did you use?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #1165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
Start Date: 3/18/11
Quote:
Sooo, Did you like it? How did it turn out? Did you use a crust? What sweetener did you use?
I did use a crust. A bit too much for my liking. Next time I will do less crust. I also used a bit too much lemon juice. Next time I will use 2 TBSP. I used stevia to sweeten...3/4 tsp powdered. It is quick, easy and tasty. It is cool and refreshing. Not as heavy as a cheese cake. Perfect for summer picnics, I think. I can't wait to try it with some fresh berries.
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #1166

My BF LOVES Lemon, that's why the lemon amount is so high. Plus the lemon helps to set the filling, so though the recipe says 3-4T of lemon juice, I wouldn't use less than 2T of lemon juice or it will be runny.

oh , yes, it's GREAT with Fresh Berries. I've tried it with Raspberries, and Blueberries. I've sliced strawberries and then mad a radial pattern with the points going in opposite direction in each circle. It's fun!

ETA: One more thing! YOu can get mini pie pans or cake pans and make a 2 person sharing dessert. It might make about 3 or 4 mini pies and you can freeze the others for later.

Last edited by metqa; 04-04-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #1167
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: klewis0906
I made 1/2 batch of these today. They were delicious. I added a little lemon juice to the batter. Unfortunately had company stop in before they came out of the oven, so once they chilled, I had to share. Only two left
saving those for tomorrow. Thanks all.
klewis0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #1168
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: klewis0906
I made this for dinner today. Got it off Lindas Low Carb website:

SOUTHWESTERN CHILI CON CARNE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

GEORGE'S SOUTHWESTERN CHILI CON CARNE
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup red onion, chopped (2 3/4 ounces)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 Roma tomatoes, diced (about 8 ounces)
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion and garlic; drain the grease. Add the peppers and all of the spices. Stir in the tomatoes; bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Server over chopped lettuce and garnish with shredded cheese and sour cream, if desired (not included in the counts).

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 292 Calories; 18g Fat; 26g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
klewis0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #1169

Are you sure you posted in the correct thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by klewis0906 View Post
I made this for dinner today. Got it off Lindas Low Carb website:

SOUTHWESTERN CHILI CON CARNE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

GEORGE'S SOUTHWESTERN CHILI CON CARNE
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup red onion, chopped (2 3/4 ounces)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 Roma tomatoes, diced (about 8 ounces)
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion and garlic; drain the grease. Add the peppers and all of the spices. Stir in the tomatoes; bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Server over chopped lettuce and garnish with shredded cheese and sour cream, if desired (not included in the counts).

Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 292 Calories; 18g Fat; 26g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
Old 04-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #1170
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TQuest
I made these today and I like them! They're perfect to use on the fat fast. I used liquid splenda instead of the powder because that cuts down the carbohydrate content significantly.

Last edited by TQuest; 04-12-2013 at 05:28 PM..
TQuest is offline   Reply With Quote