Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #781
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngieCakes
Stats: 198/143/135-140
WOE: Atkins/Pre-Maintenance
Start Date: 1/8/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew4j View Post
Another question please, liquid sweetner has no carbs right? So what would the carb count be per muffin? maybe 1? Thanks
I count each muffin as 2 carbs. My reasoning for this is based on Linda's recipe that is somewhat similar and has the carb counts listed: Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Note that Linda's servings are larger than the muffins, so 1 might be more accurate, I use 2 carbs as a cautionary measure.

Liquid sweetner is definitely lower in carbs than splenda.
AngieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #782
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
All I can say is that Publix has the Philadelphia cream cheese on sale 5/$5 this week. So I now have 5 packages to make these with!!! Yay for Easter!!!! And I use the liquid sweetener--much less carbs that way!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #783
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
LOOK!!! Made these for a meeting I have tonight. Mini muffin tin, greased, no paper cup and followed the original recipe, just halved it and added 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder. Topped it off with a little SF Strawberry jam and a 1/2 slice of strawberry. YUMMY!!

Last edited by Beeb; 03-25-2010 at 03:42 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #784
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Those look outstanding Beeb!!! I can't WAIT to have strawberries!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #785
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
Originally Posted by beckynett
Here is my attempt to distill ideas from the previous 10 pages of posts. I thought it might be handy to get it all in one post. Is this about right?

Cream cheese Muffins (Low-Carb Mini-Cheesecakes)
Basic Recipe

2 8-oz. pks. cream cheese
1/2 cup sweetener (granular Splenda, OR 1/4 cup Splenda, 1/4 cup sugar-free Da Vinci syrup OR equivalent, as desired)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract (or lemon, or almond, etc.)
Optional: Cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, or other low-carb topping, to taste. (Reserve.)

Soften cream cheese about 40 seconds in microwave.
Add other basic ingredients.
Beat with mixer or whisk till smooth. (Do not overbeat.)
Pour into non-stick muffin pan, and/or use non-stick spray. (If using cupcake/muffin papers, can spray papers with non-stick spray.)
Sprinkle with cinnamon or choice of topping, if desired.
Bake at 350 for 18-20 min. (Less for mini-muffins, 10-12 minutes.) Will not brown. Should be mostly set up, but somewhat soft in middle

To reduce sinking centers: Bake only 18 minutes. Cool in oven with oven door open for 1/2 - 1 hour, then cover and cool on counter for 1/2 - 1 hour, then refrigerate. (Can use water bath; place shallow pan of water on lower shelf while preheating oven.)

Taste best chilled. Keeps well in refrigerator. Can be frozen.

Full Basic Recipe as written, with Splenda:
43 carbs, 2398 calories, 210 fat grams, 96 protein grams.
If making regular-sized muffin cups, each one has:
3.6 carbs, 200 calories, 17.5 fat grams, and 8 protein grams.
If using half Splenda, half zero-carb liquid sweetener;
31 carbs, 2374 calories, 17.5 fat grams, and 8 protein grams, so 1(of 12) has:
2.6 carbs, 200 calories, 17.5 fat grams, and 8 protein grams.

Variations: (NOTE: Adjust carb counts accordingly!)

Use 1/3 cup - 1/2 cup da Vinci’s syrup of choice; omit Splenda and maybe extract.

Add vanilla protein powder for more protein, or to thicken if using all liquid sweetener.

Reduce egg to only 1 egg.

Add 1/4 cup sour cream to basic recipe.

Add nuts or coconut, or cocoa powder, or peanut butter.

Add crust:
Peanut Butter Cookie Crust:
1 c Splenda
1 c peanut butter
1 egg
Mix. Press into muffin cups. Bake 350 for 10 min. Add cream cheese mixture and bake as usual.

Nut Crust:
6 Tablespoons almond meal
6 Tablespoons chopped Nuts ( almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.)
1 Tablespoon butter -- melted
Combine almond meal, chopped nuts and butter, toss thoroughly and divide into muffin cups. Tamp nuts down firmly, into bottoms of muffin cups. Bake for 8 minutes; remove from oven to cool slightly while preparing filling.

Brownie Crust:
Use low-carb brownie mix. Place some in each muffin cup, then top with cream cheese mixture. Bake as per brownie directions.

Add topping. After baking, top with:
Low-carb sugar-free fruit topping
Low-carb sugar-free preserves

Chocolate Ganache:
1/2 cup (4 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy cream
Put the chocolate chips and cream into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove the bowl and stir with a whisk or fork until well mixed. Use immediately.

Chocolate (or other) Frosting:
Blend 1/4 packet sugar free chocolate pudding with 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 1/8 cup of granular Splenda. Whip until very thick. (Can use other flavors of sugar-free pudding.)

Lemon Whipped Cream:
Add about one-fourth tub of Crystal Light Lemonade drink mix to cup of whipping cream before whipping.

Make it savory instead of sweet: Omit sweetener and extract. Add herbs, spices, grated cheese, minced onion and/or other vegetables, cooked and crumbled bacon, etc. to your liking. Or, add a tub of TGIFriday’s Spinach/Artichoke Dip.
Copying and bumping to try.

Psalm 62:5
Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #786
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PERFECT!! Thank you so much for doing that for us!
Old 04-12-2010, 06:41 AM   #787

Gallery: sprinklesmom
Stats: A little less donk in the old badonkadonk
I love all the variations on this recipe. Just wanted to say I made the basic recipe for muffins yesterday. I tried one warm and wasn't impressed but once I chilled them and had them this morning I loved the texture.

Only thing I found is that I wasn't crazy about the flavor - it had a strong flavor of the splenda aftertaste. Splenda is the only sweetener I use and I've always used it for cooking, etc. but have never experienced an aftertaste like I did with the muffins. I used 1/2 cup granular like the recipe called for. However, I used the Wal-mart brand of granular Splenda instead of the brand name. Do you think that would have made a difference? I mean they are both Sucralose so it shouldn't.

Anyway, I may try 1/4 cup of sweetener with the next batch. (also I will experiment with some of the DaVinci suggestions posted here) Maybe it's just me and my taste buds. Other than that. These are a wonderful treat. I had 2 this morning for breakfast with a few sliced strawberries. The strawberries helped to cut the sweetness of the muffins for me.
sprinklesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #788
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
My Sister said she was buying store brand Splenda one time and someone told her that the store brand doesn't works as well for baking, taste wise. I always buy Splenda brand, so I can't tell you from experience.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
My Sister said she was buying store brand Splenda one time and someone told her that the store brand doesn't works as well for baking, taste wise. I always buy Splenda brand, so I can't tell you from experience.
Thanks Gina. I was wondering. I may try again using the Splenda brand.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #790

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I don't know i use both, but I did notice that I started using less and less splenda sweetener in these CC muffins and I liked them better and better, but maybe that was my sweet tooth loosening.

YOu could try blending sweeteners like a little bit of Splenda and a tiny bit of stevia, so that the majority sweetness is not one or the other. but it will still be sweet.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #791
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SEE3ga
Stats: 246/224.2/200 by may /145 overall
WOE: lo-carb again, Ctflc
Start Date: Sept 11,2006 Feb 20.2010
thanks for your hard work
SEE3ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #792
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
Anne - thanks so much for doing that!! I'm going camping this weekend and was heading for this thread to gather some ideas so hopefully I won't be tempted by the Oreo cookies I KNOW will be there. I love Oreos ... Ahem .. anyway, I was going to compile some ideas and viola, I headed for the last page just to see what was new and there was your post.

Sprinklesmom - I've tried both Splenda and Great Value (Walmart) and both seem to leave that funny taste. I do a mix of (whichever I have on hand), DaVinci SF (French Vanilla usually but just got some Dulce de Leche and Praline so can't wait to try those) and maybe a drop of EZ Sweetz. That seems to help lessen the aftertaste for me.

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #793

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Anne - thanks so much for doing that!! I'm going camping this weekend and was heading for this thread to gather some ideas so hopefully I won't be tempted by the Oreo cookies I KNOW will be there. I love Oreos ... Ahem .. anyway, I was going to compile some ideas and viola, I headed for the last page just to see what was new and there was your post.

Sprinklesmom - I've tried both Splenda and Great Value (Walmart) and both seem to leave that funny taste. I do a mix of (whichever I have on hand), DaVinci SF (French Vanilla usually but just got some Dulce de Leche and Praline so can't wait to try those) and maybe a drop of EZ Sweetz. That seems to help lessen the aftertaste for me.
Thank you for the tip Vanilla. I decided to try the DaVinci. Today I went to Marshalls - where I have bought it before - and all they had was Artista SF Raspberry syrup. So now baking them with a little less than 1/4 cup of the Splenda and a full 1/4 cup of the raspberry syrup. They smell heavenly. Will report back tomorrow after I try them.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #794
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Subbing. It's going to take me a while to get caught up. Why have I not seen this thread before??? Does anyone make these with liquid splenda to cut down on the carbs? How does it turn out that way?
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:58 AM   #795

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklesmom View Post
Thank you for the tip Vanilla. I decided to try the DaVinci. Today I went to Marshalls - where I have bought it before - and all they had was Artista SF Raspberry syrup. So now baking them with a little less than 1/4 cup of the Splenda and a full 1/4 cup of the raspberry syrup. They smell heavenly. Will report back tomorrow after I try them.
Ok. Having my 2 muffins with breakfast now. Oh man they are good! Using the SF raspberry syrup actually helped cut down on the Splenda aftertaste. Oh and this time I used the hot water bath. It really made a difference. These taste more cheesecakey then my last batch. A real smooth, creamy texture.

I am going to experiment with different syrup flavors now.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #796
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dawn18
Stats: 262/210/162
WOE: LC
Start Date: November 30, 2009
I can't wait to try these!!!
Dawn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #797

Gallery: ChristiansMom
Stats: :( :| :)
WOE: HFLC
I'm bumping and copying this post because I love these and it's so great to have all of the information in one post:

Originally Posted by beckynett (thank you!!)
Here is my attempt to distill ideas from the previous 10 pages of posts. I thought it might be handy to get it all in one post. Is this about right?

Cream cheese Muffins (Low-Carb Mini-Cheesecakes)
Basic Recipe

2 8-oz. pks. cream cheese
1/2 cup sweetener (granular Splenda, OR 1/4 cup Splenda, 1/4 cup sugar-free Da Vinci syrup OR equivalent, as desired)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract (or lemon, or almond, etc.)
Optional: Cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, or other low-carb topping, to taste. (Reserve.)

Soften cream cheese about 40 seconds in microwave.
Add other basic ingredients.
Beat with mixer or whisk till smooth. (Do not overbeat.)
Pour into non-stick muffin pan, and/or use non-stick spray. (If using cupcake/muffin papers, can spray papers with non-stick spray.)
Sprinkle with cinnamon or choice of topping, if desired.
Bake at 350 for 18-20 min. (Less for mini-muffins, 10-12 minutes.) Will not brown. Should be mostly set up, but somewhat soft in middle

To reduce sinking centers: Bake only 18 minutes. Cool in oven with oven door open for 1/2 - 1 hour, then cover and cool on counter for 1/2 - 1 hour, then refrigerate. (Can use water bath; place shallow pan of water on lower shelf while preheating oven.)

Taste best chilled. Keeps well in refrigerator. Can be frozen.

Full Basic Recipe as written, with Splenda:
43 carbs, 2398 calories, 210 fat grams, 96 protein grams.
If making regular-sized muffin cups, each one has:
3.6 carbs, 200 calories, 17.5 fat grams, and 8 protein grams.
If using half Splenda, half zero-carb liquid sweetener;
31 carbs, 2374 calories, 17.5 fat grams, and 8 protein grams, so 1(of 12) has:
2.6 carbs, 200 calories, 17.5 fat grams, and 8 protein grams.

Variations: (NOTE: Adjust carb counts accordingly!)

Use 1/3 cup - 1/2 cup da Vinci’s syrup of choice; omit Splenda and maybe extract.

Add vanilla protein powder for more protein, or to thicken if using all liquid sweetener.

Reduce egg to only 1 egg.

Add 1/4 cup sour cream to basic recipe.

Add nuts or coconut, or cocoa powder, or peanut butter.

Add crust:
Peanut Butter Cookie Crust:
1 c Splenda
1 c peanut butter
1 egg
Mix. Press into muffin cups. Bake 350 for 10 min. Add cream cheese mixture and bake as usual.

Nut Crust:
6 Tablespoons almond meal
6 Tablespoons chopped Nuts ( almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.)
1 Tablespoon butter -- melted
Combine almond meal, chopped nuts and butter, toss thoroughly and divide into muffin cups. Tamp nuts down firmly, into bottoms of muffin cups. Bake for 8 minutes; remove from oven to cool slightly while preparing filling.

Brownie Crust:
Use low-carb brownie mix. Place some in each muffin cup, then top with cream cheese mixture. Bake as per brownie directions.

Add topping. After baking, top with:
Low-carb sugar-free fruit topping
Low-carb sugar-free preserves

Chocolate Ganache:
1/2 cup (4 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy cream
Put the chocolate chips and cream into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove the bowl and stir with a whisk or fork until well mixed. Use immediately.

Chocolate (or other) Frosting:
Blend 1/4 packet sugar free chocolate pudding with 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 1/8 cup of granular Splenda. Whip until very thick. (Can use other flavors of sugar-free pudding.)

Lemon Whipped Cream:
Add about one-fourth tub of Crystal Light Lemonade drink mix to cup of whipping cream before whipping.

Make it savory instead of sweet: Omit sweetener and extract. Add herbs, spices, grated cheese, minced onion and/or other vegetables, cooked and crumbled bacon, etc. to your liking. Or, add a tub of TGIFriday’s Spinach/Artichoke Dip.
in the origin of your Light.
Matthew 5:14-16

ChristiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #798
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Thank bunches. Sometimes pages and pages can be overwhelming. The good stuff gets all lost in the scrolling process.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #799

Gallery: ChristiansMom
Stats: :( :| :)
WOE: HFLC
I agree drjlocarb! So glad that becky compiled it all in one post for us!
ChristiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #800
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingskinny14
MINE EXPLODED

love the recipe! on my new journey of low carb, no carb living and must admit, its harder than anything i have ever done. hese muffins smell AMAZING. they are in my over now! for anyone out there from a jewish home, it sort of smells like kugel is cooking. In any case - have about 5 min to, just peeked on mine and it looks like the tops exploded a little! WHOOPS! anyone else have this happen?
gettingskinny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #801
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dollkey
Stats: restart 06-11/150.2/150.2/108 ht 4'11"
WOE: Dukan Attack Phase
Start Date: 06/13/11
oven too hot?
dollkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #802
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sassy_red
Stats: 230/192.2/145 - 5'8"
WOE: HCG/Simeon's Protocol
Start Date: 23 July '10 (R1P2) ~ 7 Sep '10 (R2P2)

Last edited by sassy_red; 08-17-2010 at 08:01 AM..
sassy_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #803
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
Got to have these on hand.
lola001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #804
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
has anyone made these using amix of erythytol and xlyitol?
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #805
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wigglesmom
Stats: 232~232~162
Start Date: Every day
Has anyone tried to freeze these? I wondered how the texture would be once defrosted because of the cream cheese.
Wigglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #806
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: victorianandmore
I freeze mine all the time. I think the texture changes very slightly, but they are still very good.

Linda
victorianandmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:14 AM   #807
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wigglesmom
Stats: 232~232~162
Start Date: Every day
Thanks Linda. I'm going to make them over the weekend and give it a try freezing them. They are so good and hit the spot when craving something sweet.
Wigglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #808
Senior LCF Member

Wigglesmom - You're welcome! I'm making a batch tomorrow. I limit myself to one every Sunday morning, so I'll make 6 and freeze 5! I make mine in a cupcake pan lined with foil cupcake papers. When they're cooled, I wrap them individually in waxed paper, then plastic wrap and freeze them in a ziploc bag. I thaw them overnight in the refrigerator still wrapped. Hope they turn out OK for you!
Linda
Old 10-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #809
Senior LCF Member

Also - forgot to mention - I cut the recipe in half and only make six muffins so I don't have them in the freezer too long. I don't know if the length of time in the freezer might change the consistency or taste, so I don't chance it!
Linda
Old 10-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #810
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
has anyone made these using amix of erythytol and xlyitol?
I haven't mixed the two but I always use erythritol in them and they taste great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglesmom View Post
Has anyone tried to freeze these? I wondered how the texture would be once defrosted because of the cream cheese.
I didn't like the texture after freezing....not bad, but I'd rather have them from the fridge. I just make 1/2 batch at a time and they will last at least 8-10 days in the fridge. Possibly more but I've never had them last beyond that!
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote