Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: flutterbyu
LindaSue

I was reading my Low Carb Luxury magazine for January and thought this china looked familiar!! Then I recognized the recipes from my very favorite chef's website! Congrats Linda!

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/magazin...7-no1-pg3.html
flutterbyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jokath
Stats: Then 190/144/144...Now 190/156/155
WOE: Low carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: January 2003
I did the same thing..I read the name and thought "That name sounds familiar" and then I recognized the recipes from LindaSue's website..
jokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Wow, congrats LindaSue. I love your website and recipes. Just printed a blank calendar. Thank you so much.

Now I am going to go buy this magazine.

Last edited by catkan; 01-03-2006 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: I mean read it on the internet!!!
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
wow, how come you didnt tell anyone?
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 270/ RS 255/237.5/155
WOE: Low carb, stay in ketosis, under 30ish
Start Date: Restart 2/20/13
I hope they are paying you a million dollars!

Ok...well...seriously, I think you have better recipes than Dana Carpender has in her book...yours are worked and reworked and what I love most is that you incorporate everyday ingredients into recipes so I dont have to go out buy a bunch of stuff.

The thing i love most is your rating...you honostly rate your own recipes.

Kudos to you, I've always been a huge fan!
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
You have kept that secret a long time. . .June? of this last year.

Kudo's and congrats!!!

Keep up the good work!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
It's no secret and I did in fact post about it here the first time they used some of my recipes. I think they've been doing that for at least a year now off and on. There's no money involved. Lora Ruffner called me and asked if they could post some of my recipes in each issue and it was fine with me. She and Neil pick them out and try them before they post them.

catkan, it's a free online magazine. Nothing to buy.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #8

Gallery: sunset
Linda Sue have you ever thought about making a cookbook with your recipes? I know I would be more than willing to buy it. I am sure others would too.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset
Linda Sue have you ever thought about making a cookbook with your recipes? I know I would be more than willing to buy it. I am sure others would too.
As a matter of fact, I have thought about it. I just haven't worked out the best way to do it or found the time. If and when I do, I will most likely self-publish it so that I have control over the design and the recipe content. Otherwise I'd have to give the rights to my recipes to someone else and it would be the end of my website. My recipe website means a lot to me and it's important to me that people have free access to it.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gotogirl
Stats: 148/116/120 5'3"
WOE: Atkins for Life Maintenance
Start Date: August, 2005
I would definitely buy a cookbook. I go to your website a lot and I love everything on it! You are so generous.
gotogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 270/ RS 255/237.5/155
WOE: Low carb, stay in ketosis, under 30ish
Start Date: Restart 2/20/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotogirl
I would definitely buy a cookbook. I go to your website a lot and I love everything on it! You are so generous.

I'd buy one too, just to keep it handy in my kitchen. I'm always out of printer ink or paper, besides i broke my big toe last year making one of your recipes...i was running to and fro the kitchen and slid on the carpet....see, if i could give you $$ for a cookbook, i could save my appendages!

LOL!
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jokath
Stats: Then 190/144/144...Now 190/156/155
WOE: Low carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: January 2003
I would definitely buy a cookbook just to have it handy in the kitchen because everytime I want to look at a recipe one of the family is on the computer..
jokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: flutterbyu
LindaSue, that is a very wise idea about self-publishing. I know it's a much tougher route to go about, but keeping those recipes and the website yours is what is most important! Good luck on finding a way to do that!
flutterbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
LindaSue. If you self-publish maybe Netrition will sell it for you! Since they carry a lot of the products in your recipes I think it would be a great match. Plus you can sell it from your web site.

Rich
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #15

Gallery: walkingwoman
WOE: maintaining 124-128 range
Start Date: 2/1/13
Beachguy, that is a great idea! I'd love to buy your recipe book Linda Sue. I all the recipes I have tried from your website.
walkingwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:40 PM   #16

Gallery: sunset
Great idea beachguy. I know Netrition sold a book from a chef who posted here awhile ago. I think he made some recipes for carbquik when it first came out. The book was about LC eating, I think . I would love to have all of Linda Sues recipes in one book it would be so convienent. Please Linda Sue make a cookbook with your recipes. Pretty Please!!!!

Last edited by sunset; 01-04-2006 at 05:41 PM..
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:41 PM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: tom_912
Stats: 222/213/195
WOE: Atkins with cla/gla
Start Date: 9/26/2005 again
WTG LindaSue, I love your receipes. I know there are companies out there that make receipe books for fund raisers...maybe that would be a good route for you. I'll pre order a couple
tom_912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_912
WTG LindaSue, I love your receipes. I know there are companies out there that make receipe books for fund raisers...maybe that would be a good route for you. I'll pre order a couple
I did check into one company that does that, but I wasn't happy with the set format they have for recipes. I wouldn't be able to add the carb counts or lay out the recipes the way I want them. They did offer some custom options, but I believe they required software that I don't have. I wonder if they'd accept a PDF version. I self published a non-low carb family cookbook a year or two ago and I took a PDF file to Office Depot and they were able to print them for me from that. The problem with having Office Depot print cookbooks for me is that it would cost too much for them to use their good laser printer. I had a bit of trouble with ink smudging when they used their cheaper laser copier. It was a good learning experience though and the cookbooks turned out very nice. I got a good deal on the cutting and binding there too.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:19 AM   #19
Newbie1000

Gallery: Newbie1000
It's a shame they didn't give Cheri credit for the soup recipe. Maybe you should tell them they need to read your notes or use your titles since your site does usually say who created the recipe?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie1000
It's a shame they didn't give Cheri credit for the soup recipe. Maybe you should tell them they need to read your notes or use your titles since your site does usually say who created the recipe?
I've noticed that too and I don't know why they do that. They also shortened the name of the recipe. Sometimes they also make slight changes in the recipes. I guess that the important thing is that people have access to great low carb recipes that will help them stick to this WOE. By the way, Low Carb Luxury is not a "for profit" site. Any money they get from advertising keeps the site up and running.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #21
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue
I've noticed that too and I don't know why they do that. They also shortened the name of the recipe. Sometimes they also make slight changes in the recipes.
I know you and I talked about this a long (read long, long, long lol)time ago, that it's irritating when someone else gets credit for a recipe you slaved over!
I've had some published without my knowledge or consent, even had one done on the low-carb food tv show, and no credit given and one published in a popular low-carb cookbook with a "passing" credit. It's irritating.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #22
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Dottie... I have had that happen to me as well... I am fixin to post a new recipe that I created and wonder how long it will be before I get a lot of emails from people saying hey go look at this recipe this person just posted not giving you credit... or someone will take your recipe... add one little thing and then call it their own... (they will even comment on your recipe and then go do that) not sure this is exactly legal but it is sure not very ethical cuz like you said... you worked hard to get a recipe created and then someone comes along and takes it... adds something small and insignificant to get credit and then you see everyone telling them how wonderful their recipe is... kind of makes you want to keep it to yourself huh? (I know you have created many that have had that done and even published )

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue
It's no secret and I did in fact post about it here the first time they used some of my recipes. I think they've been doing that for at least a year now off and on. There's no money involved. Lora Ruffner called me and asked if they could post some of my recipes in each issue and it was fine with me. She and Neil pick them out and try them before they post them.

catkan, it's a free online magazine. Nothing to buy.
I'm shocked they don't give appropriate credit and copyright notice for the recipes they "borrow", as well as ensure you sign a proper release indicating you have allowed them to publish your recipe. LowCarbLuxury is quite adamant about their own copyright(s), it's plastered all over the site, especially in their recipe collection section and on their articles. I'd follow this up with them on the recipes of yours they have published so far...for sure.

I, too, have had a recipe published in another's cookbook (hardback, but it's the same copyright issue), and that was done properly with signed Release and proper attribution in the book itself indicating the recipe's origins. And I sure did appreciate it, as did the others who contributed to the book (which is quite fabulous, by the way).

This is actually a rather large legal issue...
Old 01-09-2006, 04:39 AM   #24
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Unfortunately, you can't copyright a recipe(to my knowledge) and even if you do, all the "pirate" has to do is change one small thing to claim it as theirs. I had several where I called for 1/4 teaspoon of salt or another spice and they changed it to 1/3 teaspoon and said 'tough noogies' when I confronted them about it.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:11 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
It doesn't seem fair when we, mainly you guys, post our own recipes for the use of others out of goodness, and that goodness gets used without credit. And sometimes for profit.

Guess it doesn't matter that it is the end result that matters. Health. Weight loss.

But I think of you, Dottie and Linda, and Linda's website, where we all go so often without paying. . .and I am so thankful for you. . .and still feel your "hurt."
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: bettyee
Stats: *
WOE: Atkins
Cheers for Linda Sue and Cheri and everyone else who posts all these great lc recipes! I too have wondered why Linda Sue doesn't have a cookbook. I'm all the time printing them out from your site. In fact I'm lunching on the bacon swiss quiche now. I had gone to bed last night and almost kicked myself for not having made something for today's lunch and thinking there was nothing thawed. Thankfully, I remembered the bacon quiche was simple enough to make while I got ready for work this morning. So, thanks Linda, for a good night's sleep, lol!
bettyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #27
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Maggy
Stats: 158/123/125 height 5'5
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/05
I would most definately buy a cookbook!!!! Always getting at the computer with teenagers in the house is quite a chore!! Go for it Linda!!
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote