Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
what happened?

I made the Rugelach recipe from last February. I've got a lot of experience making kiffles and this recipe closely resembled them.

The dough consisted of cream cheese, butter and almond flour. First, I followed the instructions and rolled it into 2 balls. It was impossible to work with. So I rolled it into little balls and refrigerated for several hours. I tried to turn them into thumbprint cookies - I ended up with one big parchment of crumbly cookie dough. What a waste of materials.

Does anyone have a kiffle recipe that is rollable? I'm thinking maybe carbquik would work but even that gets very gummy especially when mixed with butter and cream cheese.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Oooo, bummer!! I have NO idea what a "kiffle" is and I've never made rugelach, so I'm no help whatsoever, unless you want to post a "regular" recipe and we can try to sleuth it out ---

Just wanted to offer my condolences on your kitchen disaster - I HATE wasting all that expensive stuff too!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I occasionally have oatmeal so I also sometimes whir it in my coffee grinder until it is powdered and becomes oat flour. If you can have oatmeal on your plan, perhaps a bit of oat flour worked into the dough would give it the consistency your are wanting.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
Davian

I haven't seen the Recipe you're working from...but perhaps ya need some "glue" to hold it all togehter..Like V W Gluten, plus maybe some egg yolks...just ideas I'm tossing out..

CarolynF was having a problem last week with "crumbles" happening re Almond flour, Butter, and Creamcheese...Addition of Vital Wheat Gluten was sugested by several people.

Anyhoo, I've been making a dough that "might" work for your project...and I just manually manipulate it with disposable gloves, no rolling pin either...

Its something I use to form " dough cups" for baking Tassies...As I said, this is just an idea...

1/2 cup butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese, softened (might want/need more)
3/4 cup Carbquik
¼ cup Vital Wheat Gluten
1 egg yolk
1 TBLS SF sweetener
1/2 tsp Vanilla

Good Luck!

Shawnee

MAINTAINER since Aug. '01

Last edited by shawneesioux; 12-09-2005 at 04:47 PM..
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:06 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

This is the Rugelach recipe:

Rugelach
I often make rugelach, but with all almond flour. Rugelach is supposed to be very very rich, but not very sweet, so cutting down on the fats would be a drastic change. I've found it can convert to low carb quite well. Here's my recipe:

The dough:

* 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
* 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1 cup almond flour

The filling:

* 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
* 1/3 cup splenda (granular, for the right consistency)
* 2 teaspoons cinnamon
You could substitute some low carb preserves, I suppose. Or you can use grated low-carb chocolate too.

The dough:

1. cream the cream cheese and the butter together, about 2 minutes. Add the almond flour and beat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Filling and baking the rugelach:

2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with baking parchment.

3. Mix the ingredients for the filling and divide the dough into 2 balls. Roll the balls out into 2 circles about 1/8 inch thick and 9 inches in diameter. Spread the filling over the dough.

4. Using a dull knife, cut each circle of dough into 16 pie-shaped pieces about 2 inches wide at the circumference. Roll up from the wide side to the center. Place the rugelach on the parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake in the oven on the middle and lower racks, switching after 12 minutes, also switching back to front. Continue baking about 13 more minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the rugelach to racks to cool.

I often just mix the walnut filling in with the dough, chill it, and roll into little balls, instead of doing the filling and rolling. Either way, this is delicious and rich, but not sweet.
Last edited by tiva on 02-21-2005 at 04:30 PM

I gave up trying to roll them - did one and it just melted into a puddle. I then rolled them into balls and made a dent - put in jam and baked. 75% of them are a puddle - just a few of the bigger ones made it.

My mom is from Germany and this is her Kiffle recipe (these are amazing)

Kiffles

1 very large bowl
1 lemon (grate the peel)
1 pound of unsalted butter, room temperature
1 pound of cream cheese, room temperature
2 egg yolks
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
5 cups of sifted flour
Fillings (raspberry, lekvar (fav), poppyseed, and nut)
Confectioners' Sugar

Directions: Start a Day Ahead

Mix cream cheese and butter together til soft and smooth. Add the egg yolks and the lemon peel. Mix by hand. Add the baking powder and salt. Mix again. Add 1 cup of the sifted flour at a time and mix well each time.

Roll the dough into balls the size of walnuts and refrigerate overnight. The next day, take out 12 balls at a time. Put confectioners' sugar on a board and rolling pin. Roll out the balls into 1/8" thick egg shaped ovals. Fill with 3/4 tsp of filling. Starting at one end gently roll up and pinch the ends closed. Place on a cookie sheet. Bake them at 375 for 20 mins. Let cool for 10 mins before removing them from pan. When completely, cooled - roll them in confectioners sugar. Store in a closed container in a cool dry place. Make sure they are completely cooled or they'll become soggy in the container.

These are the best kiffles I ever ate and in my time - I've eaten plenty.

After looking at the kiffle recipe, I wondering if the temperature was too low and if it needed an egg to hold it together? Perhaps a Carbquik and almond mix instead of just almond flour.

Thanks for your help and condolences. Gosh I really hate when something totally turns out wrong. Luckily, my lemon coconut mounds, chocolate squares, and beef carnitas were all great.

Last edited by Davian; 12-09-2005 at 06:09 PM..
Davian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Charski and Shawnee. I copied down the Tassie recipe a few days ago. We used to make Nut Tassies with a wet bottom. Sort of like shoe fly pie in a mini cup. I can't find the recipe but it would be great in the cups you made.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:33 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Oh MAN Davian, those kiffles sound like they would just melt in your mouth! They remind me of my fave, Russian Tea Cakes (or Mexican or whatever you like to call them) that are just butter, flour, powdered sugar and nuts - then you roll them in powdered sugar again. Only the kiffles with the filling sounds even BETTER than that! I'm drooling, literally!

Yeah, I'd think that trying a blend of Carbquik or Carbalose flour/VWG/almond meal might yield the closest results. Dang, now I want COOKIES!!

Char
Old 12-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Davian and Char

I'm learning stuff here...like I didn't know what Lekvar is...so Searched, found its Apricots/prunes... right?

Well, that explains my Mom's addiction to 'em...she was German too. Don't recall her ever making Kiffles, so I gotta try it for my portion of German heritage, huh? (I've only had them from a Bakery,...long ago)

Davian...a wet bottom Tassie..? Sounds gooey/yummy!
Would like to hear about yourShoe Fly Pie too
(LOL, I grow a blue-flowering plant called ShooFly)

I'm gonna copy your Mom's real recipe...maybe cut it in half and play with it...Sounds delicious !!
Think I'd like a "jam-my" type filling..and a Nutty-Cinnamon Filling..and ...??

LOL, Char...are ya in the kitchen, creating Kiffle Cookies magic, or still just in the drooling stage?

EDITED IF USING CARBQUIK...............
Because CQ is kinda "salty" ..I think I'd skip the Salt...
And either eliminate the Baking Powder, or cut back on amount...
But add in a little Baking Soda, since this has the acid of the grated Lemon Peel..
Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 12-09-2005 at 09:34 PM..
Old 12-10-2005, 08:21 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Hey Shawnee

Lekvar is wonderful - it's also good in a baked item that is similar to poppyseed roll. Obviously liking prunes is a start. I really miss them - I used to make a molasses cake with chopped prunes - one of my favorite winter desserts. Like I said I can't find the nut tassie recipe anywhere (grr) and I have not made shoe fly pie myself - I just meant the tassies tasted like a mini pie. I only like wet bottom shoe fly pie - some people especially around here - make it too dry. Kinda of ruins it - gets like coffee cake then.

The kiffles are about the only thing I'd ever eat "off plan" - I wouldn't break down for something like a french fry. The kiffles should just melt in your mouth - they shouldn't be too doughy or dry. In fact, when you bake them - they should come out the second they even start to "tan." They should be soft and just melt - no crunchy or doughy mouth feel to them.
Rugelach is more doughy and crunchy. Kind of like a crescent roll with filling inside. They get harder as they sit out too.

Our family's favorite kiffle flavors: #1 - raspberry #2 - nut/cinnamon #3 Lekvar. Personally, I like Lekvar, raspberry then nut. There are also apricot, cherry, and poppyseed. These things are very time consuming to make and quick to eat up. Great though.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
The kiffles should just melt in your mouth - they shouldn't be too doughy or dry. In fact, when you bake them - they should come out the second they even start to "tan." They should be soft and just melt - no crunchy or doughy mouth feel to them.
Davian Thanks for the in-depth description ...OK, I immediately thought of old-fashioned pie crust, with lard and sour cream in it....
Considering the types of LC "flours" we have to work with, I'm thinking that some lard and sour cream in the dough might make it more tender with a "melt-in-the-mouth" texture...???

Do you bake them on the upper rack?

Are yours cigar-shaped, or more round?

Does your Filling peek out the ends, or is it totally enclosed?

(can ya tell I get obsessive/compulsive about baking???)

TIA

Shawnee
Old 12-10-2005, 04:02 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Davian: How long do the kiffles keep? I've had them but never made them.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Davian

After experimenting to achieve the texture you described...LOL, let's just say I had major sticky hands, and a big mess...so switched to Plan B and also Plan C.

IMO, what might work for your dough would be the one from Over50Mom's Cream Cheesee Coffeecake
Carbquik Cream Cheese Coffee Cake (with pics)

OR...the Crust portion of the recipe I posted for Tassies. (its flexible, workable)

Having became elbow-deep in a gooey mess, :blush: I switched my LC version of your dough over to monster-sized Thumbprint Cookies...(BIG, to cut down on the time dealing with that sticky mess!)

With one sheet of Cookies baked, I didn't wanna repeat messing with that messy dough...LOL, so Plan C became ...well...a Super-Monster Cookie.

Plan B:...(with Walnut, Smucker's sf syrup, DiabetiSweet Brown, Egg, and Cinnamon Filling)

Plan C...using up that dough as quickly as possible

GOOD LUCK with finding an LC dough that is like your real Kiffles..and tell us when ya do, please.

Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 12-11-2005 at 01:40 PM..
Old 12-11-2005, 02:51 PM   #13
Gadget Gal

YEAHBUTT .....

How does it TASTE?!

Hey, it LOOKS good. BIG maybe - but GOOOD!

Char
Old 12-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Char...

Let's just say...The Birds and Squirrels are gonna have to settle for regular ol' birdseed and nuts today...they only get the experiments I don't wanna talk about!

*hint* ...melts in the mouth, goes soooooo goooood with coffee...

Shawnee
Old 12-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawneesioux
Davian Thanks for the in-depth description ...OK, I immediately thought of old-fashioned pie crust, with lard and sour cream in it....
Considering the types of LC "flours" we have to work with, I'm thinking that some lard and sour cream in the dough might make it more tender with a "melt-in-the-mouth" texture...???

Do you bake them on the upper rack?

Are yours cigar-shaped, or more round?

Does your Filling peek out the ends, or is it totally enclosed?

(can ya tell I get obsessive/compulsive about baking???)

TIA

Shawnee
Ok Shawnee: They are baked on middle rack and ends are pinched shut. Now the fruit fillings generally "bulge" out the nut and poppyseed usually stay put. They are shaped exactly like a cigar (never thought of it before) and rolled up the same too.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Wow Shawnee your cookies look great. I told you they were a mess to work with - how someone rolled them into crescent shapes and filled them I can not imagine. What did you add to get them to stay cookie shaped?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:48 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw
Davian: How long do the kiffles keep? I've had them but never made them.
Absolutely COLD before storing.....
Must be kept in a large container, place paper towels in the bottom, and must be cover. Keep in a cool, dry place (refrigerator makes them soggy) and they last about 2 weeks or so. Guessing because they never last that long.