Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Go to Low Carb Luxury e-magazine this month. . .there is a recipe, but I think ours would be better. . .with a few adaptions. . .see what you think!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
Sungoddess...

I'd suggest for a Red Velvet Cake: Use the thick Paste food coloring instead of the liquid type, its more intense and just plain better stuff. (Like Wilton's brand)

Also, I'd want to use some vinegar, and maybe some Buttermilk in the recipe....we have several Choc Cake recipes posted here, which one are ya gonna use? Might need to increase the Baking Soda a tad too.
Hmmmm, something to think about... maybe I need to experiment.

LOL, I'm sure it will turn out fine, using one of the already proven Choc cake recipes here, and just adding Red coloring..But if ya want a more traditional one, the above suggestions might help ..
.................................................. .........

.....When it comes to measuring ingredients ..I readily admit I'm the world's worst at not being very concerned with things like Carbquik, Gluten,and Poly D in large recipes/amounts like cakes...if its in the ballpark, its close enough for me.

I'm only fussy with the amounts of ingredients that really matter...
like Baking Soda, Baking powder, certain Extracts, Stevia, Salt...

Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 01-27-2006 at 12:02 PM..
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Thanks ladies!
I have made the LCL one before , but I like these versions of cakes posted on here so much, I thought it would be fun to adapt one of them.
Thanks for the tips Shawnee!! This is such a fun thread. I love reading it.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:02 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: makeupmonsterdog
Stats: 23(ish)% Body Fat/15% Body Fat/15% Body Fat
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars
Well, I measured the Carbquik the exact same way as you. So don't know what happened. I just have a very hard time getting past the taste of Carbquik. Maybe my taster is just more sensitive to it or something.

I made the original lemon version (minus the filling) of the cake today and I couldn't get past the Carbquik taste, too. Also, while the texture was moist, the cake tasted WAY to eggy and it was too greasy. Sadly, I had to throw the whole thing in the garbage.
makeupmonsterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
It is so weird now people's taste buds are SOOOOOO different!!

I am sitting here eating a piece right now and it is delicious, but then I like Carbquik. It isn't eggy and is not the least bit oily. The texture of mine is not like cornmeal either.

It is just so odd. Sorry it was so bad you had to throw it out!!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Magnamater

I finally checked out that recipe on LCL e-magazine; it would probably be a good cake. ...that amount of egg whites would help fluff it up, since it has Almond and Oat flour in it. but til something better than Carbquik comes along,(IMO) I will stick with it instead of almond flour in most of my cakes. LOL, if we were in PRE-CQ days, I'd be all over that recipe in a heartbeat!
Thanks for letting us know about it...some folks prefer alternatives to CQ.

Sungoddess, I hope the suggestions work out for you...I kinda want to make it, BUT I have allergies to certain food dyes, colorings, etc..with RED being the worst for me...so I wouldn't get to eat any of it..LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpars
Well, I measured the Carbquik the exact same way as you. So don't know what happened. I just have a very hard time getting past the taste of Carbquik. Maybe my taster is just more sensitive to it or something.

makeupmonsterdog
Quote:
I made the original lemon version (minus the filling) of the cake today and I couldn't get past the Carbquik taste, too. Also, while the texture was moist, the cake tasted WAY to eggy and it was too greasy. Sadly, I had to throw the whole thing in the garbage.

For those of you who find these recipes not to your liking, you might consider using the non-CQ ones from other sources, like LCL. ...and then please share with us your successful experiments/inventions of Cake Recipes. We're always looking for improvements.

HAPPY BAKING, Y'all

Shawnee
Old 01-27-2006, 08:55 PM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupmonsterdog

Yep, that's exactly how mine was.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:51 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm wondering if the AGE of the Carbquik might be the issue.

Just wondering.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:28 AM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
My cakes have turned out great.. I do use a combo of butter and oil instead of all butter, maybe that helps it not be so greasy?? I just love these cakes, to the point of eating too much of them, haha, so I got to stop for a while,, but my bday is next week and I am doing a black forest cake,,, one of the chocolate cakes topped with SF cherries and whipped cream, yum yumk, I will post of pic when it gets done.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:33 AM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/197
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 3/05
Could I use two 8 inch round cake pans???
Sassay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:32 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannie
WOE: LC/allergies
Start Date: restarted Oct 4, 03
Sassay, I don't see why you couldn't. I've done Bundts in 9x13 pans before. Just cut the baking time so it doesn't dry out to much. Maybe 30 minutes for 2 round pans. HTH
Deannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mauitammy
Stats: 281/199.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2005
These recipes sound fantastic. I want to make one for Valentine's Day.

Thanks everyone for contributing!
mauitammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #163
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Tammy, it IS fantastic - each and every flavor I've made has been divine.

Hope you love it too!

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:36 AM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made my rum cake, but my guest thought it delish my DH said to never serve it to him again.

So the jury's still out.

Will try again after a day. . . in the fridge. . .but don't know if DH will try it again. He does not like the taste of alcohol in food, but he loves rum and diet coke. . .go figure.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:58 AM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So, Magnamater...

Did YOU try it? ..or waiting til it "ages" some?

LOL on your DH, and his NO booze in the food, just in Coke. ..Mine hates avocadoes in their natural state, but loves Guacamole..as ya say, Go figure.

I bought some Pineapple Rum to make a Hawaiian-fruity version...DH says he HATES Rum...but I noticed there's a healthy amount missing from of the bottle (it wasn't me sampling, and no one else lives here)..so I hid the rest, to have some for the planned cake.

BTW, which cake flavor/variety did you use, and type of Rum?

Shawnee
Old 02-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tasted, and liked it. . .

I used DaVinci's Butter Rum, plus rum extract, butter extract, vanilla, nutmeg (freshly grated) cinnamon, some Brown Diabetisweet, AND stuff I drizzled over to soak, as per your help, I used Myers Dark Rum, and the DaVinci's Butter Rum, and butter. I went a little heavy on the rum. . .but it was to my taste!

I was going for the whole island molasses thing. . .and am going to taste again in just a minute!

I also made mine in 7 mini loaf pans. . .to freeze. . .for portion control. . .and to take with me on a trip. . .cooked the mini pans 30 minutes. . .might have used another 5 minutes.

Last edited by magnamater; 02-09-2006 at 10:03 AM..
Old 02-09-2006, 10:10 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Second tasting. . .

Good, but definitely butter rum, rather than rum.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater
Second tasting. . .

Good, but definitely butter rum, rather than rum.
Well, at least the taste was GOOD! It sounds really YUM!...but maybe more of a "Christmas-time" flavor, huh? ... then perhaps the Davinci in the syrup/Rum soak should be less intrusive, like Vanilla or Dulce de Leche...to let the Rum shine thru?
...Actually, maybe the "SIMPLE" syrup variety would be the better choice...so do ya happen to know if its flavorless, (other than sweet) as I assume?

Good idea, baking smaller servings...and I'd think this one should be very well-done, to counteract the softening Rum Soak effect.

LOL, a little heavy on the Rum, huh? ... you may well become the first Recipe Help BB member to get tipsy on cake crumbs!

A Trip???

Shawnee
Old 02-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #169
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: trish6103
Stats: I would tell you but I'd have to kill you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawneesioux
...Actually, maybe the "SIMPLE" syrup variety would be the better choice...so do ya happen to know if its flavorless, (other than sweet) as I assume?
Davinci Simple Syrup is flavorless, just a sweetened liquid.

Shawnee, please don't be offended. I never said I didn't like it, I was just wondering if everyone else had the same texture results as me. I have not totally given up on this cake. Next time I am going to try a different flavor (maybe panut butter) and cut way back on the butter. It did seem greasy to me as well, but I have noticed a lot of CQ recipes have a lot of butter in them. I made the CQ cornbread the other day and it had a LOT of butter. I think it would have been just as good without all the added butter.

DH liked the lemon, but said he would prefer it without the filling and frosting. He's not much into cream cheese. More flavors to come. Pina colada and peanut butter will be next on my list.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to sample my future endeavors. I had gastric bypass recently and the CQ/PolyD did a number on my stomach. It hurt to eat or drink for 2 days after having a few bites of the cake. I will still experiment with the cake for my DH though.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Trish

I can certainly understand that CQ/PolyD would do a wicked number on your recent stomach surgery My SIL had it done; she had to subsist on just liquids and pureed food for quite a long time, and avoid fats. Hope you are feeling better now.

CQ cannot totally replicate the texture of regular white flour (or cake flour) in an LC cake...and I can only vouch for the cake textures of the ones I have made, and of course Jacki's...since I sampled hers. I think the ones made without PolyD (as I mentioned back on Page 1) are the closest to actual (white flour) Pound Cake texture.

Tweaking is the name of the game ...someone posts a recipe, and its only natural for other folks to make changes in it, to meet their personal preferences. (for instance:too much butter? use less, or sub in some sour cream, experiment to improve on the origional recipe...)

Every recipe is just someone's idea, there's always room for improvements in them all. Many of us here do a lot of experimenting, and post our latest results...heck, I constantly tweak even my own recipes .... (and even Char's, whom I consider to be an excellent cook/baker)

Thank you for the info re the Davinci SIMPLE syrup...and hope your tweaking/experimenting gives you the taste/texture you are looking for. Please let us know your results

Happy Baking, Y'all

Shawnee
Old 02-13-2006, 05:47 AM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy to report making Charski's German Chocolate version, with excellent results.

I was making a mini birthday cake, so I made 1 1/2 recipe, and made in heart shaped pans, large--2 for layers and small--4 for 2 little cakes.

Turned out cute.

I may have made a mistake on doubling the GCtopping, as it never got thick. . .but it got harder or thicker in the fridge.

Birthday girl enjoyed--my GF for 46 years--we go wayyyyyy back!

The cake itself doesn't need icing, IMHO, it is so yummy.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:59 AM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOW, Magnamater, that's wonderful, to have such a long -term friendship ...LOL, made me stop and do the Math re mine..SCAREY, 46 years also !!!
I'm 61, and can't believe 46 years have gone by since my friend and I were doing HS homework together

Glad to hear your cute cake(s) were so successful; bet they were charming. Char's cake IS really YUM.

I made half a recipe of her GC Icing...left it in th fridge for several hours to thicken up...and used it to top a batch of the (very popular) Cream Cheese Muffins. Worked well together: the sweetness and rough texture of the Icing with the tangy, smooth texture of the little cheesecake-type muffin.

Shawnee
Old 02-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
Finally made THE CAKE. Rum version with 1/2 CQ and 1/2 Jena's cake flour blend plus I added 1/4 coconut flour.
Rum sauce was 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup vanilla DaVinci, sweetner to taste and 1/2 cup dark rum MMMMMM. Plus I covered the bottom of the bundt pan with chopped pecans. Next time I think I'll make a double batch of the Rum sauce and try to bring the nuts up the side of the pan too.
chickiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

YAY Chickiemom

That additional Coconut flour sounds like a good idea!
Can ya please describe the difference in texture between CQ and Jena's Cake flour? ( I have the recipe for that..someone had previously posted it)

Also, did ya first remove the cake from the pan and cool it before poking "rum" holes...or leave the cake in the pan and poke it, and let the rum soak in that way?

With the Pecans, bet its a pretty cake. Glad ya hit a Home Run!

Shawnee
Old 02-22-2006, 11:25 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
I did cool the cake about 20 minutes then flipped it out of the pan before pouring on the rum mix but I think pouring it in the pan over the hot cake would work too. The cake is really pretty with the nuts
I have several pounds of the coconut flour not realizing when I bought it how little I would actually be using it so when ever I can add it to something I'm happy. I like it but every recipe calls for soooo many eggs. I figured the 6 jumbo eggs in this recipe could handle the 1/4 cup of flour
I'm one of those people sensitive to the taste of CQ that's why I mixed it with the Jena's cake flour blend. I love the texture of the cake I made but can't really say how it compares to the CQ only version. Next time I'm going to make a lemon version with a lemon syrup poured over the cake in place of the rum. An old Silver Palate recipe that use to be a fav of mine
chickiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Reporting that my tiramisu over in Italy with my packed pound cakes from the recipes on this thread was absolutely fabulous.

Will post the recipe for the tiramisu soon. We ate it frequently since I could buy marscapone cheese everywhere.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #177
Gadget Gal

Just wanted to bump this back up as it's such a terrific recipe!

I made the lemon one yesterday for Easter and it was such a hit. I added one tub of the Carb Options lemonade drink mix (dry) and some grated fresh lemon peel - I don't use the PolyD in it because too much of that does me in. Then I iced it with softened cream cheese and whipping cream, lemon and vanilla extracts, liquid Splenda and grated fresh lemon peel (all to taste) - DY-NO-MITE!

Char
Old 04-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Char

Nice to see you and re-visit this ol' thread again.

Love your idea of the tub o' intense flavor ya dumped in!

Shawnee
Old 04-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #179
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
Great avatar Shawnee.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #180
Gadget Gal

Yeah, Shawnee, I'm thinking I might try the tub o' orange drink mix along with some grated orange peel and orange extract...OR, I also have the tub o' strawberry kiwi - I bought a bunch of that stuff at the Dollar Tree and have been trying to figure out how to use it up ever since! LOL!

Mmm, yeah, strawberry kiwi with whipped cream "frosting" and fresh sliced berries and kiwis, how pretty would THAT be!

Char