Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006, 09:27 PM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
Oh, Davian
You tried, and I'm proud of you! All is not lost, if its edible. Nukers are finicky critters, a few seconds one way or another can make such a difference...AND chocolate cake is one of the most difficult ones to "time" in a nuker..it needs to be a bit shiny/glistening...yet almost firm on top...AND totally cool when ya cut into it.

I have made some great cakes, and some LOUZY cupcakes in Nukers..LOL, maybe I should stick to cakes, and you take over the cupcake division...

I'm re-learning a bit with Nuking too...had a big ol' space-hogging 1300 wt nuker, and decided I wanted a smaller one (1000 wts) that does "tricks"...like Grilling and Rotiss-ing...WHY?...LOL, cause I had gotten both adult GrandDaughters that type..and didn't want them to have all the fun!

(the pictured half recipe cake was nuked in the new 1000 wt jobbie...my first effort of baking in it) ..got lucky!

OK, so how about baking some APPLES in yours? I split and core, sprinkle with DiabetiSweet Brown and Cinnamon...or use some Davinci for sweetener.

Magnamater
These cakes are so filling, especially if ya pile on large quantities of lucious frostings/icings like Char does. A small piece goes a loooong way towards total satisfaction.

Char
WOW, the Moment of Truth is here! Lordy, that is one gorgeous cake...worth the wait, YaBetcha.
The icing is so THICK and lucious-looking, a real WINNER
Thanks so much for the Pic...and the recipes, especially that icing. Hey, a NUKER Icing recipe, YIPPIE !
(is it possible to have too much fun with this cake-making thing??? Nah..as long as we practice Safe...uh, indulgence)

....cranking on my Printer now, before this Recipe is deleted due to reckless, sinfully delicious LC excess...

Shawnee
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2006, 04:25 AM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
can someone really smart put the original cake that shawnee made into master cook or something and get us a round about "there" carb count, so i know if i can even do this without killing my plan lol!

I am about to make the lemon one, or the chocolate one to take on our trip this weekend. We are going to the country and I always crave sweets. I want somthing i can eat so im not tempted with smores or ice cream etc.

thanks
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:50 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
oh my, that looks GREAT!! I made the cake also this week, and then I topped it with whipped cream that was sweetened with some khuala flavored davinci, I was trying to imitate a choco khalua cake that we have at the restraraunt,, it was yummy.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:31 AM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Looks fabulous, Char, would make it for DH's b-day tomorrow, but don't have your Davinci's flavors. . .Germ. Choc or Coconut. May sub what I have anyway!!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:37 AM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
OMG!!!!!

That looks so delicious!! Where is the rum cake recipe? I looked but seem to be missing it. There are fantastic. Keep 'em coming. How about a special cake with filling for Valentine's Day. Maybe some thing with a pink filling?
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #126
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Magna, use what you have - I think plain Choc in the cake and Vanilla in the coconut would work just fine. The first time I made that icing I didn't use the syrup at all - but because SF coconut is SO dry, thought I'd try it this time. Don't know that it made a noticeable difference!

Sungoddess, I don't think anyone has tried the Rum one yet, not to my recollection anyway (which is faulty at best so don't take me for sure on this!) but hey, go for it and post your results if you experiment!

Shawnee, I tweaked an "original" German Chocolate icing recipe using full sugar and canned milk on this one, and THAT was cooked stovetop - but of course you gotta "stir constantly" and that is just NOT my favorite thing to do - which is why I love the microwave for things like this, and puddings, and candies - you don't HAVE to stir constantly!

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:02 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannie
WOE: LC/allergies
Start Date: restarted Oct 4, 03
Oh Boy, Char! You make me want to just pitch my low cal WOE right now and start baking with that one. DELICIOUS LOOKING CAKE. A dearly loved fav since childhood! and DH's fav too...

But no, I've decided I've got to do this, so am sticking with it. Stop twisting my arm will you guys?? Or I'm gonna have to quit reading this thread!
:blush:
Deannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #128
Gadget Gal

Deannie, LOL! Save it for a special occasion then. Cut it up and freeze the rest. Or halve the recipe and make cupcakes instead! Mmmm, might do that myself - GC cupcakes - yeah!
Old 01-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannie
WOE: LC/allergies
Start Date: restarted Oct 4, 03
Good idea on freezing when I do get to make one, Char! Because I have to be gluten free I have to tweak the cake recipe and sa's are out too. Therefore NO practice/trial efforts right now.
I'm counting calories and trying to stay with meats, veggies and drinks only and have made a commitment not to bake until Valentines Day. Maybe then I will try it. Till then I may have to avoid reading this thread and catch it up just before VDay. Gotta do what you've gotta do.

Just love all the ideas everyone comes up with...but I really want to loose quite a bit this year so won't be participating in sweet treats very much. You all enjoy them for me too and I'll join in again when I can.
Deannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Deannie

Just copy these recipes, and you'll have them when you're ready..THEN please tell us how you tweak them into NON-Gluten ones...GOOD LUCK with your WOE

Brendajm ... Sounds delish!

Char...I will be making a small batch of your sinful German Choc Icing this afternoon...to top some mini Cheesecakes ..as you suggested THANKS. (I'm not into that "constant stirring" either..NUKER for me)

I posted pics on the Cheesecake Muffin thread, of NUKED mini ones..(page 4)....sure a lot faster than baking.

Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 01-18-2006 at 02:02 PM..
Old 01-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Char

I made 1/2 Recipe of your magnifico German Choc Icing...WOW! It's teriffic on those mini cheesecake muffins

...was thinking, since it sets up so firmly after refrigeration, it would make a great Sandwich Cookie filler. (like Oreos) Can ya just imagine it slathered between two Peanut Butter ones? LOL, practically any cookie would benefit from it

Also, probably a super Filler for a Danish; maybe add in some Creamcheese after its cooled somewhat, and fill up a large raw Danish dough...
GOOD stuff, THANKS for the recipe

Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 01-19-2006 at 07:38 PM..
Old 01-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #132
Gadget Gal

Glad you liked it Shawnee, and WHY am I not surprised that your creative juices are already flowing on OTHER ways to enjoy it?! LOL!

How about spread atop a good brownie recipe, like the one Jaideyes posted....

Or make the chocolate cake in a muffin top pan and put the icing between two of THOSE! Wow - like a big cake/cookie thingie. I bet they would be AWESOME frozen - and EATEN that way!

Char
Old 01-19-2006, 08:45 PM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

YUMMM!

You ladies on maintenence are making it hard on those of us who still have a ways to go. . .I must say!

I LOVE the ideas though.

Just need a major whoosh, and then I'll bake away with you. . .oh, I do anyway!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 02:11 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

I just m ade the carrot cake version,, it smell yummy, I am going to make the cream ch icing to go on it,, cant wait to try it out..
Old 01-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Charski, have you perfected a peanut butter/ fudge cake yet??? please try,, you would be my hero,............
Old 01-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Brenda

Hope that Carrot Cake tastes as good as it smells (these cakes always taste better the next day...

Char

Another "satisfied customer" just gave ya a on your German Choc cake ICING...JackiCWA was just here, sampled it on my mini Cheesecake Muffins...how's that for positive feedback ???

BTW, if ya make those (Joan's Cream Cheese Muffins) that are such a HIT...try adding in some sour cream, makes them more creamy/dreamy

Shawnee

Last edited by shawneesioux; 01-21-2006 at 05:22 PM..
Old 01-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BB in MN
Carb count

Carb count for German Chocolate Cake only, not counting:
any sweetners (because I do not have any of those sweetners yet)
chocolate flavoring,
DaVinci SF syrup.

If you cut the cake into 12 servings I get 5 net carbs per serving, BUT I am not guaranteeing my finding!

Char’s German Chocolate Icing only; not counting:
Brown or white diabetisweet
DaVinci SF Syrup

For 12 servings I get 2 net carbs per serving. BUT I am not guaranteeing my finding!

This is figuring 118 carbs in 2 cups of Carbquick, 96gr of fiber for 22 net carbs in 2 cups
I am taking someone else’s word on the Carbquick carbs

If anyone gets different findings let us know.

HTH, Beth

Last edited by BB in MN; 01-21-2006 at 06:12 PM..
BB in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:18 PM   #138
Gadget Gal

Oooo, Beth, thanks for doing that!

When I make that Bundt cake I get at LEAST 16 slices out of it so that takes it down even MORE per serving! Woot!!

No, Brenda, sorry, I've not tried PB/Fudge yet but I think that sounds like a WINNER! When DH and I loosen up a bit from our Atkins '72, I'll try it - but ONLY when we're going someplace for dinner or a birthday happens because there ain't NO WAY DH will leave THAT one alone! LOL!

Char
Old 01-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #139
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: trish6103
Stats: I would tell you but I'd have to kill you.
I tried the original lemon version posted tonight. It was very good, but I will add more lemon juice or extract next time, or maybe use lemon oil. I would have also liked it to be sweeter, so my next cake I will try the second recipe, the one with 1/2 c. Erythritol. The filling was the best part! It made me want to make a lemon cheesecake. I made the frosting pretty lemony and it was great.
The texture kind of reminded me of cornbread. Was it the Carbquik that made it crumby like that?

I have some Pina Colada Lorann Flavor Oil, so I'm thinking Pina Colada will be my next flavor. Maybe with unsweetened coconut and some coconut milk instead of heavy cream? And pineapple/coconut whipped cream for a frosting?
I have almonds and almond extract too. Maybe an almond cake?
Old 01-22-2006, 06:50 PM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish6103

I have some Pina Colada Lorann Flavor Oil, so I'm thinking Pina Colada will be my next flavor. Maybe with unsweetened coconut and some coconut milk instead of heavy cream? And pineapple/coconut whipped cream for a frosting?
OHHHH yummmmmmmm!

And I am doing a modified Scarsdale in an effort to get to goal. . . But I will return to OWL in 4 weeks or less and then get to maintenence. . .and then. . .I can try more of these.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:29 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by trish6103
I tried the original lemon version posted tonight. It was very good, but I will add more lemon juice or extract next time, or maybe use lemon oil. I would have also liked it to be sweeter, so my next cake I will try the second recipe, the one with 1/2 c. Erythritol. The filling was the best part! It made me want to make a lemon cheesecake. I made the frosting pretty lemony and it was great.
The texture kind of reminded me of cornbread. Was it the Carbquik that made it crumby like that?

No, I made that one also and the texture was like cornbread to me too. Plus the Carbquik aftertaste came through too much for me and it was not near sweet enough for me either and I even added 6 drops of Sweetzfree as well. I think I will stick to my Chef's Blend Lite flour with Whey Low and just use my regular pound cake recipe with those substitutions. Much better.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:34 PM   #142
Gadget Gal

I'm wondering if you are using too MUCH Carbquik? I don't notice it being crumbly when I make it - in fact it's quite moist and nice. I dip the cup into the CQ and level with a knife - don't pack it down. I kind of "fluff up" the stuff in the bag first too.

Otherwise I can't account for why your texture is so different! Everyone I've served these cakes to is impressed with the taste and texture, and we're talking non-LC folks here.

Of course, we all differ in our tastes too!

Char
Old 01-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #143
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: trish6103
Stats: I would tell you but I'd have to kill you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski
I'm wondering if you are using too MUCH Carbquik? I don't notice it being crumbly when I make it - in fact it's quite moist and nice. I dip the cup into the CQ and level with a knife - don't pack it down. I kind of "fluff up" the stuff in the bag first too
I measured the CQ the same way. Fluffed up, scooped and leveled with a knife.
trish6103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:22 AM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

I dont think they are crumbley either. Mine come out nice and moist. My dh is non lc and has a piece everyday, he loves that I am making cake again..
Old 01-25-2006, 08:10 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, today was a bad day, we had no cable tv due to a storm, so we had no internet either, so I had to bake to keep busy, I made a peanutbutter cake with the choco ganache icing,, yum yum, I did take a pci, here it is if my lind works

it is really good, I basically used the same basic recipe but only 1.5 cups of butter, 3/4 cup of peanutbutter, and only 3 eggs,,, 1 tbsp vanilla, and 1.5 tsp of peanutbutter extract.

I also did the choco cake,, and I made the carrot cake version last week, here is a pic of it if it works.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:32 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BB in MN
Brendajm!!!

Oh my gosh, Betty Cocker move over
Your cakes look awesome
Can you share your recipe for the chocolate frosting?

Thanks for posting the pics

Beth in MN
BB in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:26 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

the icing recipe in printed here I think on page 2,, I will find it later and post the link if I have time before work..
Old 01-26-2006, 09:20 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

GORGEOUS cakes, Brenda!

Thanks for the Show & Tell ....Glad you're having a good time with the recipes, and Tweaking too. Peanut Butter, Yippie!

LOL, without distractions like Internet and Cable, it does give one time to perfect LC baking skills...WOW, talk about finger-lickin' perfection; you got it goin' on!

YUM!

Shawnee
Old 01-26-2006, 09:30 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski
I'm wondering if you are using too MUCH Carbquik? I don't notice it being crumbly when I make it - in fact it's quite moist and nice. I dip the cup into the CQ and level with a knife - don't pack it down. I kind of "fluff up" the stuff in the bag first too.

Otherwise I can't account for why your texture is so different! Everyone I've served these cakes to is impressed with the taste and texture, and we're talking non-LC folks here.

Of course, we all differ in our tastes too!

Char

Well, I measured the Carbquik the exact same way as you. So don't know what happened. I just have a very hard time getting past the taste of Carbquik. Maybe my taster is just more sensitive to it or something.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Anyone have an idea on how to adapt this into a Red Velvet Cake for Valentine's Day? The cream cheese filling and icing would be great. Would I simply make the chocolate cake and dump in an ounce or so of red food color?
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote