Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kiddielee
Stats: 280/169/140 5'6"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb '98 (Restart Mar '04 at 240lbs)
pie "crust" from flax meal?

OK...I'm gonna be brave and expose just how little I know about baking...here goes:

Does anybody have a recipe for making a "crust" for a pumpkin pie or pumpkin cheese cake from flax meal?

I've read lots of recipes that call for all sorts of flours and stuff that we just don't have in the pantry. I do have flax meal though. Could that work?

I made a pumpkin pie last year without a crust and it was great, just kind of was thinking of trying something new this year. I read the A AAAwesome Pumpkin Cheesecake! and was thinking to give it a try since it gets such rave reviews. But, I don't like pecans at all and don't have almond flour (not a big fan of almonds either).

The only other ingredient in the crust is butter. I know I read on the side of the flax meal bag that there is so much oil in the meal that if you use it in a recipe they suggest cutting back on the oils (butter). It says 1-1/2 cups of flaxseed meal can replace a 1/2 cup of butter or cooking oil in a recipe. It also says if you do this whatever you're making can brown more rapidly.

So, I'm wondering, would it work to just press a layer of flax meal into a springform to make a "crust".

My body, my science project!

Click here for: my story
Kiddielee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Here is an approximate crust..that I think would work..but I would pre-bake it and then
add the filling..and I would not take the crust to the top of the filling as it might burn
when you cook your filling..

1 1/4 cups flaxseed meal
3-4 Tbs. splenda
1 tsp. cinnamon
one extra large egg white, beaten until frothy
1 Tbs. melted butter

Mix this all up in a bowl..Then Pam your pie pan and spread this mixture on the bottom
and slightly up the sides..(not to the top of the rim)..Bake for 10 minutes at 325 until
crust is set..Then add filling and bake.

Note: These are approximate directions..if you like it spicer, add more cinnamon..or sweeter, add more Splenda..or less..But, after you add the egg, it should look stick together. Good luck..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: bybs54
Stats: 58 pounds GONE!
WOE: Low Carb/Calorie Aware
Start Date: 1-27-03 GOAL 12-03! Still Maintaining!! :)
Here's my crust....just got done making two of these and two regular ones....
I know you asked for flax....but....

Pumpkin Pie YUMMY!!!!! 2003

Crust:

1 1/2 cups chopped pecans 7.60
3 tbsp butter .03
1 T+ of SF vanilla DaVinchi 0

Grind or chop nuts into crunchy mix….not too fine…but really small pieces.
Melt the butter and then mix it into the SF syrup and chopped pecans. Lightly spray the bottom of pie pan with PAM. Press the mixture into a 9 inch pie pan. I pressed it into the bottom and as far up the sides as I could.

Bake the crust in a 350 degrees oven for about 8-9 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Pie filling: (This makes about 1 1/2 pies in a 9 inch pie pan)

1 1/2 cup pumpkin 12
3 eggs 1.8 I USED 2 JUMBO
3/4 cup Da Vinchi vanilla SF Syrup 0
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon .6
1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice .15
3/4 cup heavy cream 4.98

Mix all ingredients together. Pour into crust or well sprayed pie pan and cook at 350 till done about 45 min or till a toothpick or knife comes out clear from the center

by itself…no crust then it is with 8 pieces – 2.5 carbs each

If with crust then…..with 8 pieces, each = 3.4 carbs
(versus regular Libby’s pumpkin pie mix w/reg crust = 36 carbs each piece!!)

GOOD FRIENDS ARE LIKE STARS....YOU DON'T ALWAYS SEE THEM, BUT YOU ALWAYS KNOW THEY ARE THERE!!!!!!

I miss ya Pop...Oct. 26, 1918 - Oct. 19, 2006 & Mom...Aug. 20, 1928 - March 30, 2009. Please watch over us all.
bybs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF
Here is an approximate crust...
THANKS Carolyn for the recipe! When you say "approximate" is that 'cuz you're one of those who "throws something together" and it comes out amazing? See, I'm one of those who follows a recipe to the "T" and it is sometimes edible. OK, not that bad, but you get the picture. I want to try your recipe, but do you think this would work with a springform pan and a cheesecake? It sounds like you're referring to a regular pie plate. I just got a new "Pampered Chef" glass bottom springform that I'm going to use AND I've NEVER used a springform before so this is all new to me. Would you still prebake etc.?

Thanks again.

Patti - I'm sure someone will try your recipe and love it. I don't like pecans so I won't be trying it. But I am interested in how you used a bit of DaVinci syrup in yours. What did it replace from a "normal" recipe? Did you use it to replace granulated sugar? Same with your pie filling? Are you using equal measurements of the syrup to replace granulated sugar? For instance, did the original recipe call for 3/4 Cup sugar and you replaced it with 3/4 cup DaVinci? I'm trying to learn about subbing other sweetners for sugar and get away from granular Splenda too. I'd appreciate any info you've got on this.

Thanks to both of you!
Old 11-22-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: bybs54
Stats: 58 pounds GONE!
WOE: Low Carb/Calorie Aware
Start Date: 1-27-03 GOAL 12-03! Still Maintaining!! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddielee
Patti - I am interested in how you used a bit of DaVinci syrup in yours. What did it replace from a "normal" recipe? Did you use it to replace granulated sugar? Same with your pie filling? Are you using equal measurements of the syrup to replace granulated sugar? For instance, did the original recipe call for 3/4 Cup sugar and you replaced it with 3/4 cup DaVinci? I'm trying to learn about subbing other sweeteners for sugar and get away from granular Splenda too. I'd appreciate any info you've got on this.
As far as the crust that was just a hit or miss and tasting it until it tasted good.
For the pie...I just looked at the Libby's recipe on the can and it calls for 3/4 cup of sugar so that's what I used for the pie in syrup....again tasting it....I used pumpkin pie spice instead of cloves and nutmeg etc.
I am a big proponent of tasting before cooking...so taste the batter or whatever....remember sweetness tends to 'cook out' so I always make sure its sweet enough for me before cooking. And always mix your sweetners....the good folks on this site told me that and it works!! I usually try to use at least 3 different sweeteners.

Have a good one!
bybs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:35 AM   #6

Kit: If you were doing this in a springform pan, it would work beautifully..and yes,
I would definitely pre-bake it until because you want the egg to cook and hold the
crust together..Just 10 minutes will do it..

For the cheesecake crust, cut down on the flaxseed meal to 1 cup because you won't
need as much..You really can't mess this (honestly) unless you don't get it sweet enough or if it is too sweet..One cup with one egg white should do it..plus splenda
and cinnamon..DON'T FORGET TO PAM YOUR PAN...

If you are still nervous..make just the crust..then taste it..and do the final one adding
the filling..
Old 11-29-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
...For the cheesecake crust, cut down on the flaxseed meal to 1 cup because you won't need as much..You really can't mess this (honestly) unless you don't get it sweet enough or if it is too sweet..One cup with one egg white should do it..plus splenda
and cinnamon..DON'T FORGET TO PAM YOUR PAN...
Carolyn - I just wanted to thank you again for the Flaxmeal Crust recipe. I worked GREAT!! And you were right about not being able to mess it up. I missed the instruction to cut down to 1 Cup of flaxmeal for a cheesecake crust and it still turned out good. In fact, I think I needed the extra 'cuz the recipe just barely covered the bottom of my 9-inch springform. Luckily mine is glass and I could see where I needed to smudge more over to where it was almost see through!

I think that's important to note. I made Wendy'sSmiling no bake pumpkin cheesecake and there's no mention of what size pan to use. Our cheesecake looked more like a torte! It was about and inch thick...but very yummy! I think the original must have been made in a smaller pan. Live and learn. I just wanted to get the info out on this board so if someone searches and finds it, they'll know what I learned.

Back to the crust...Carolyn - everybody (carbers and LCers alike) loved the cheesecake. The crust worked great. It was easy to cut (not soggy) and completely held together just like a graham cracker crust. There were no problems cutting or serving it. I made another and it has held up for several days in the fridge with the leftovers as well. And best of all FOR ME, it doesn't taste like nuts of any kind!

Thanks SO much!
Old 11-30-2005, 12:02 PM   #8

Kit: Thanks for the thanks..I knew you could do it, girl!!! Next time you can make this in a regular pie pan..Bake it and cool it and add some sf pudding/pie mix for a quick
dessert..The cinnamon does make it taste like graham crackers, doesn't it??? And, it's
very healthy..
Old 11-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
And, it's very healthy..
You know I was thinking that same thing, but "pie crust" and "healthy" in the same breath sounded a bit too crazy to even say. But, I agree and am glad YOU said it!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:48 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: binki
Stats: 190/160/140
WOE: just low carb
Start Date: November 2003
Ooh, I have one that I use for cheesecake all the time. I'm not sure it'd go up the sides of a pan, but it might.

Anyway, it's crazy easy:
heat oven to 375
melt 6T of butter (can use coconut oil for part of this)
grind 6T of flaxseeds to end up with 3/4 cup of flaxmeal, put in bowl
add 3/4 cup of almond meal to flaxmeal
add a pinch of salt and a bit of sweetener (I use about 1/4 cup sugar equivalent)
Mix it all together and press into springform pan. Bake 7 or 8 minutes. Voila!
1/06 1440; 2/06 1530; 3/06 1740; 4/06 1800; 5/06 1650; 6/06: 660; 7/06: 540 8/06: 840
Steps logged in 2005: 4,378,192

Completed 420 minutes of 1,000 minutes goal for September Fitness Challenge!
binki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:57 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
these crust ideas sound great, thanks for posting them.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
SuZ
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SuZ
I know that this is a very old post but I want to thank you for the recipe all the same. My husband has AS and must be on a starch-free diet and recently my daughter was placed on a gluten-free diet. I was thrilled to find a recipe for something using flax seed. I just took it out of the oven and it smells wonderful. Thanks again!
SuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Flaxseed has been used on here for years.Post # 7 has the 1 minute muffin recipe.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...te-muffin.html
There are tons of recipes using flaxseed . Just do a search.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smiles
Stats: 217/155/135
WOE: low carb, wheat free, low GI
I just discovered these awesome crust recipes. Bumping for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Tracy
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote