Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2005, 10:57 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Zenngrl
Stats: Tight 18/----/Comfy 12 is my goal! - 5'6
WOE: ESE
Start Date: 1/11/11
Soy Grits?

Anyone wanna rate them for me? I want to order some of the soy grits from netrition and want to know if they are close to the real thing?? DBF will be so happy if I can get something close, he is southern and this is one of his faves! Thanks!!
Zenngrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patt3
Stats: 173/153/150
WOE: /low carb
I'm just glad to hear the Netrition has them! I ahven't tried them, but somewhere there was a recipe around here for a cornbread that used the soy grits. I always wanted to try that!
Patt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:14 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
This is so good that I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not eating my old high carb cornbread:

NANCY'S MOCK CORN BREAD
3/4 cup almond flour, 3 ounces
1/2 cup hazelnut flour, 2 ounces
1/2 cup Carbquik, 2 1/2 ounces
1/4 cup soy grits, 1 3/4 ounces
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons salted butter, melted *
3 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda

Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl. In a medium bowl, mix butter, eggs, cream, water and Splenda. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until well blended, but don't over mix. Pour into greased 8x8" baking pan. Bake at 400║ 20 minutes or until nicely browned and and firm to the touch. Cool in pan on rack before serving.

Makes 9 servings
Can be frozen

* If you use unsalted butter, you may want to increase the salt to 3/4 teaspoon.

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 230 Calories; 20g Fat; 9g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 225 Calories; 20g Fat; 9g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:07 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ClikChik
Stats: 124/?/105
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 4, 2014
I love them in Sherri's Buttermilk Cornbread:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
3 eggs
3 tbsp Splenda
1/3 cup Atkins Bake Mix *see below for making your own
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup Soy Grits (Bob's Red Mills Brand)
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp Bacon Grease melted** see below how to do this
Beat cream cheese with mixer until blended smooth, add the remaining ingredients (see below for bacon grease) and let sit for 5 minutes before using.

Cast Iron Skillet:
Preparing the pan, this is a southern thing, so if you have never done this don't despair...it's easy! Preheat the oven with the cast iron skillet in side for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove to stove top and add 2 tbsp bacon grease, return to oven. Once melted remove the pan and turn to coat the sides of the pan, pour the remaining grease in your batter and mix well.

Pour the batter into greased pan and return to oven, cook until golden brown on top!

If you don't have a cast iron skillet...just grease a 9X 12 pan and pour in mixture, don't forget to add the grease to your batter!

Slice and serve with a big ole pat of butter! This recipe nearly brought tears to my eyes, I'm delighted to share such a winner with everyone!

Makes 10 large Slices @ 3.3 carbs per slice

~~*Teresa*~~

Ever feel like your guardian angel went out for a smoke?
ClikChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helper
Wondering--

I made sherrie's recipe long while ago w/o the soy grits. They were almost impossible to find at the time. The product was like c-bread but lacked that "taste". Is that what the soy grits add or is it texture or what?
Thanks, helper
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
linda sue, do you need to use the hazel nut flour, ? can i sub with more almond flour? thanks trac
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:51 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CMIODOWS
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: 11/17/03
I bought three bags for Sherrie's cornbread but wasn't that fond of it. Possibly because I like the Jiffy cornbread mix that is more like a cake. Ended up throwing away two bags. I know that many do love her cornbread.
CMIODOWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:58 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ClikChik
Stats: 124/?/105
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 4, 2014
Yep, Sherri's cornbread is very "southern" at least southern in the way I was raised. My mom always used bacon grease and an iron skillet to make cornbread. It would be all crunchy and brown...YUM. Mom would crumble leftovers into sweet milk and eat it with a spoon out of a glass. When I was younger I would put peanut butter on the leftovers. Ahhhhh....good times....

I never saw a cake-like cornbread until I got married and then my DH's mom (who was born & raised in the south also) made it cake-like so I suppose it's which side of southern you are raised!
ClikChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:21 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
linda sue, do you need to use the hazel nut flour, ? can i sub with more almond flour? thanks trac
You could use all almond flour, griffin, but I don't think it would taste the same. I think that the hazelnut flour helps make it taste more like cornbread for some reason.

I like my cornbread sweet and cake-like and Nancy's version is like that. My old high carb recipe had a whole stick of butter and 1/2 cup of sugar in it and it was wonderful. I also used to like the Jiffy mixes until I started making my own many years ago. There's no comparison. The Jiffy mixes come out very dry. Nancy's reminds me so much of my old recipe that I don't miss it at all anymore.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: EveH
Stats: 165/122/130----5'4"
WOE: Atkins..skipped induction
Start Date: Oct 2010
Bumping. I know there are Southerns out there who miss cornbread. I can't have much right now but I'm thinking of making them in a muffin pan and having one with my Chili or Cheri's soup.
EveH is offline   Reply With Quote