Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Cranberry Surprise Pie

This sounds fabulous..from Yankee Magazine

Cranberry Surprise Pie
This recipe has been rated by 3 readers.
The average rating is 5 (out of 5) hats.
100% of readers would make this recipe again.
You can read 3 reader reviews of this recipe.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

A quick, company's-coming pie that makes its own crust and tastes like a macaroon cookie with cranberries. Serve it during the holidays, when cranberries are most available, with a dollop of whipped cream.

2 cups raw cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1-1/2 cups white sugar (Splenda or other sweeteners)
2 eggs
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, melted
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup all-purpose white flour (Carbalose or Carbquik or almond flour/flaxseed meal)
Whipped cream
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch pie plate.
Wash the cranberries, leaving some water on them. Combine the cranberries with the almonds in the pie plate. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the sugar (splenda)

In a mixing bowl, cream the remaining 1 cup sugar with the eggs and butter. Stir in the almond extract. Add the flour and mix well. The batter will be thin. Pour over the cranberries.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a tester inserted near the center of the crust comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving warm, or serve completely cooled, with a dollop of whipped cream on each slice.

Recent Reader Reviews [Add your review]

It's spectacular! My mother used to make this recipe every year to celebrate our Canadian Thanksgiving on the second Monday of October. I've continued the custom.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Wow, that sounds good - thanks for the post. I've been thinking about trying a cranberry crisp but this might be better!

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Wow that does sound great,
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Biscotti
Stats: 138/125 5'7"
Start Date: January 2002
I tried this recipe

This morning I tried this recipe. I used Carbquik in place of the flour and used 1/2 cup Splenda on the cranberries and the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar (used liquid Stevia) in the batter.

This tastes very good, but I found that the batter did not seep through to the cranberry & almond layer. So when you cut a piece of the pie, the cranberries weren't held in place and came out seperate from the batter part.

Next time, I will slightly stir the batter into the cranberries and almonds. Another possibility would be to use a little less Carbquik, so that the batter is more runny.
Biscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:33 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kayecat
Stats: 220/211/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: many times 9-1-97
I also made it this morning and it is very good. I used the Carbquik also. I think I will add just a little more almond flavoring to it. My mixture was not runny. I used granular measure for measure splenda mixed with brown diabetisweet. Maybe adding some DaVinci's almond or vanilla would make it seep around the berries more.
kayecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:35 PM   #6

I'm so glad you ladies tried this..and I agree I will mix in the cranberries..and maybe add some cream. Remember sugar MELTS when you heat it as opposed to Splenda that doesn't melt..I think CQ and almond flour would be good too.. Think I'll try this tomorrow and see what happens..
Old 11-17-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
maybe a little polyd would be good in this too
sounds yummy
chickiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:01 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatKrazy
Start Date: February 2005
I am going to try this, I love cranberries. I am not too fond of the CQ taste though, it is masked pretty well in this recipe? Thanks.
KatKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:55 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
This sounds so yummy, I want to try this, only problem, dont have any Almonds, do you think it would "taste ok" if I used a 1/2 a cup of either
Hazelnuts or Pecans? If so which ones would you use, I just dont like to have alot of Almonds on hand, have a tendency to want to eat to many of them.
Thanks
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gmgisme
Stats: 196/171/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: June 16, 2002
I made this on Monday and I used 1/2 cup carbquick and 1/2 cup almond flour. I used a mixture of xylitol and splenda on the sprinkling part and the same mixture for the batter. Since the recipe said the batter was runny (like pancake mix) and mine was quite firm like dumpling mix, I added some cream and some sf vanilla syrup to thin it a bit. I also had to cook it a bit longer due to the extra wet ingredients that I added. Next time I will use all almond flour since I think it was the carbquick that sopped up all the liquid. I tasted wonderful and was almost like a butter cake/cobbler type of consistency. I will definitely make this again. The cranberries popped in my mouth with a wonderful juicy texture.

"Your life is the sum total of all your choices up to this present minute." -- Brian Tracy
gmgisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatKrazy
Start Date: February 2005
Sherrie,

I would think you could use either. Probably it's just up to which one you like better.

Kat
KatKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:51 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
Thanks Kat
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #13

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
I made this, not exactly the way the recipe states, so I'll post the way I did it:

[COLOR=DarkRed]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cranberry Surprise Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups cranberries
1/2 cup sliced almonds

liquid Splenda equivalent to 1 1/2 cups sugar -- divided

1 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup sugar-free syrup -- almond flavor
2 eggs
3/4 cup butter -- melted
3/4 cup Carbalose flour

Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease a 10-inch pie plate; set aside.

Wash the cranberries, leaving some water on them. Combine the cranberries with the almonds in a small bowl. Sprinkle with liquid Splenda equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar. Toss lightly, but thoroughly, to ensure Splenda is evenly distributed among nuts and berries. Turn berries into prepared pie plate.

Combine remaining ingredients in blender container. Blend for 30 seconds; stop blender, scrape down sides and blend 30 more seconds. The batter will be thin. Pour over the cranberries.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a tester inserted near the center of the crust comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving warm, or serve completely cooled, with a dollop of whipped cream on each slice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 262 Calories; 24g Fat (77.6% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 93mg Cholesterol; 231mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 4 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0[/COLOR]

It looks good, but as you can see, we haven't cut into it yet, so I can't yet give a review of the flavor.
I'd read about the batter being thick, so I cut the flour back to 3/4 cup, but to me, it still seemed thick.
Then it occurred to me to add some syrup to thin it down. A quarter-cup was all it took to get a thin
batter that would seep down in between the berries and nuts. I don't know how the high-carb version
would taste, so I can't compare it, but I think I'm going to like this version!

Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:46 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

oh my. That looks good. Maybe a small amount of orange oil or peel would be good too. I am so going to make this
Old 12-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

How did your pie turn out Pami? It looks so pretty. Any changes you would make?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickiemom
How did your pie turn out Pami? It looks so pretty. Any changes you would make?
We liked it.
The batter went all the way to the bottom of the nuts and berries, which is what I imagine
it does in the high-carb recipe, so there were no separate crust and fruit layers.
(It was more like a berry-filled cake than a pie, which is what I expected.)
Like I said above, I've never had the high-carb version, so I don't know how it compares.
I do plan on making it this way again, though.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:38 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CMIODOWS
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: 11/17/03
I made this in a 9x13 pan. Used only 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup) and added some unsweetened coconut to the cranberry and nut mixture and then sprinkled a bit more over the top of the batter before cooking. It is just delicious.
CMIODOWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:37 PM   #18

Oooooooooh I love coconut....... will have to try that next time!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:45 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
Thanks, to ALL y'all...

for the Recipe ideas, the "show & tell" Pics, the various tweaks ...and the taste-testing results !!

Shawnee
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:51 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BeckyM
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
I made Pami's version, with the coconut, for a party yesterday. No one knew it was low carb and everyone thought it was delicious. I used a quiche pan, deeper than a pie plate. I should have spread the batter out more carefully as the middle ended up with more batter than the edges, but it came out fine.

Becky
BeckyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:11 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
I was desperate to find something for an office party at the hospital tomorrow, so I came a' lookin' here. I used this recipe, tweaking it with some of the suggestions mentioned in this thread. I used 3/4 cup almond flour and 1/4 cup CarbQuik. For pouring over the cranberries, I used mostly Splenda, but a small portion was Xylitol. I added the slivered almonds and some unsweetened coconut to the berries.

To the batter (above mentioned almond flour mixture) I used 3/4 c. butter, Splenda, and then vanilla extract instead of almond extract. (I didn't have any almond extract, or I would have used that.) I also added a little coconut DaVinci's and some Orange DaVinci's syrup to thin it down.

I used a skinny little spoon to stir stuff around, hoping to entice some of the batter to sink to the bottom. I'm just ready to put it in the oven. If the little taste of batter in which I indulged is any indication, these are gonna be great!

If I was going to do anything different, I would have paid more attention to the suggestion to mix the berries with sweetener before putting them in the pan, and then I would have sprinkled the almonds and coconut over the top after the berries were in the pan. As it was, the almonds wanted to clump altogether, and I had a difficult time convincing them to "get out there and mingle."

If I have the ingredients, I'm going to make a low carb pizza for the party, too. I did great last Christmas, but this year I'm struggling with temptation something fierce! I want plenty of food that I can have, since the party is just before I start work and it will be the only dinner I get tomorrow.

Well, back to the kitchen for me! I've got lots to do before I can go to bed.

Raini
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
Okay... ready to review this recipe! WOW! YUM! WOW!!! I cut a tiny corner out to "taste test" and ended up taking a larger piece. I'm not at all sure I will be taking this to the party tomorrow, because suddenly I don't feel very generous. I have a Key Lime Bar mix in the cupboard, and maybe I'll make that tomorrow for everyone else.

If I can get to the store early enough, I may buy more cranberries and some of the other ingredients that I ran out of and make a fresh batch of these for the party. If not, the Key Lime bars go to the party and I'm hoarding these for ME for the holidays!

Thank you everyone, for sharing the recipe and the variations!

Raini
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:28 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
wow, this sounds great,b ut can we get cranberries now? They do not stay in season very long. I am thinking of adding some apples to this too,, yum.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:41 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froleena
Stats: 148/105
WOE: Low Carb
I've made this twice and love it! I use almond flour and instead of sliced almonds I chop them. I also add a couple of drops of lemon flavored stevia. Most important though is the second time I made it I added the almonds, cranberries and splenda to the batter--it works so much better. My pie looks exactly like Pamis. It's a keeper!
froleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:35 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BeckyM
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
Brendajm, I bought a large bag of cranberries at Thanksgiving and froze the ones I didn't use. I am going to look for another bag, usually the stores have cranberries for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. They freeze beautifully.
BeckyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:16 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buttonwillow
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: RE-start date Feb. 2, 2008
I made the original recipe for Thanksgiving and liked it very much. I mistakenly used WPI instead of Carb Quick but it turned out fine. The cranberries and almonds stayed on the bottom but so what? The flavor was good and I have decided to make it again at the family's Christmas gathering, and this time I'll use CQ. I will also stir up the berries and almonds a bit so the surface of the baked product will show the pretty red berries instead of just the browned batter.
buttonwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:55 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

This is so good. I made Pami's version with the almond syrup.I added coconut with the berries and nuts and 1/2 almond flour half Carbalose plus a mix of about 4 sweetners. This is so quick and easy. I think it will be great in the summer with blueberries and or raspberries. A keeper for sure
Old 12-14-2005, 11:10 AM   #28

Girls..I'm so glad that you are experimenting with this..I haven't made it yet..LOL..but
I probably will and do the almond flour/Carbquick combo..and need to pick up those
bags of cranberries and pop them in the freezer..
Old 12-14-2005, 11:51 AM   #29
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
I've been reading this with interest and I do believe this will be added to our Christmas buffet!
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Something about the texture of this cake reminds me of pineapple upside down cake. One of my favs. I cooked some fresh pineapple down with polyd and assorted sweetners and i'm thinking of using this instead of the cranberries, Just for a change cause i love the berries too. or maybe I'll use both crans and pineapple MMmmm