Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2006, 08:27 AM   #31
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
TaterHead, when you said the E had a cooling effect dissolved--were you mixing it with Polyd? I've found no cooling effect at all but I always use Polyd. My understanding is the trick is not dissolving the E but keeping it dissolved which is what the Polyd does.
or maybe it's there and I'm just not as sensitive to it as you are.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2006, 09:26 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba
TaterHead, when you said the E had a cooling effect dissolved--were you mixing it with Polyd? I've found no cooling effect at all but I always use Polyd. My understanding is the trick is not dissolving the E but keeping it dissolved which is what the Polyd does.
or maybe it's there and I'm just not as sensitive to it as you are.

Jackie, I have used it every which way, with polyD without polyD you name it. IMO anything more then 1/4-1/3 cup of it in any recipe is just too much of the stuff for my taste. Some of the recipes posted are just not always good imo and yet some people will say this was sooooo good. Maybe I am too sensitive to it?
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #33
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Tater Tater Tater...

I can detect e's cooling efect a mile away. This recipe has ZERO cooling effect. I promise you. If I'm wrong I'll send you 10 bucks. That's how confident I am

With erythritol, it's not about getting it dissolved, it's about keeping it dissolved. As a erythritol based dessert cools, the erythritol molecules want to bond together and form crystals. If you don't have other stuff in the way (polyd, fat, eggs, water), the erythritol succeeds/forms crystals and you get the dreaded cooling effect. With the right amount of polyd, fat, liquid, erythritol stays dissolved. The proportions laid out in this recipe:

2 parts polyd
1 part erythritol
about 1 part fat/liquid

are probably about as high erythritol goes without precipitating out, but they still fall into acceptable parameters.

In other words, this recipe works. 10 bucks if it doesn't.

Now, if you're sensitive to polyd, that's an entirely different story. The polyd is integral to the texture of this pie. If you back off of the polyd, you'll have to add something else for gooeyness. You had mentioned in another thread that you can tolerate small amounts of brown diabetisweet. If that's true, than I think a polyd/erthritol/brown diabetisweet combo would be ideal. Just make sure you lose the sweet one or the amount of ace in the recipe might become impalatable.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Tater Tater Tater...
Scott Scott Scott, did you read my other replies on this post, I HAVE used it with polyD and fat and every which way and I personally don't like to use anything more then 1/4 cup because of all my expereince cooking with it since it came on the market.

I have been cooking since I was 10 years old and now 54, I know how to put a dish together by now

I might try your recipe as written some day and if I'm wrong then I'll let you know, but right now I don't want to waste all these ingredients on it,sorry, been there done that on too many other lowcarb dishes. I was just curious about it when someone mentioned you came up when a recipe for pecan filling and I had missed that post about it that's all.

I have been cooking the lowcarb way for a long time now and I can just look at a recipe and tell if I'll want try it out or not now.

Thank you for your opinion though

Last edited by Tater Head; 07-09-2006 at 02:37 PM..
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:01 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Bumping for the season.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:06 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
Is the Sweet One essential for this? Can I sub more Splenda or something else?
lcmiller461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:20 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
I made this recipe last year without the Sweet One. Don't remember how I did the sugars (not even sure what I had available last November). But, the pie was good, even the non-lowcarbers loved it and said if they hadn't been told they wouldn't have known it wasn't the "real deal".

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:38 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Justme3
WOE: lost 50lbs with over 3 years ago! YAY FOR ATKINS!!
Scott I am going to make this for Christmas ..I knew there was a reason I loved you my synergistic sweetie pie this looks amazing...and I have just the crust to put it in as well ....thank you so much for sharing the recipe ..I myself can not see one reason it will not turn out as perfectly as everything you have convinced me to try ..who would have thought? OOOXXX

Heidi

Last edited by Justme3; 11-19-2006 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Justme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR="Red"]Scott,
I made your pecan pie today. I did do a little tweaking (sorry couldn't help myself). I have never used the dark syrup or brown sugar to make traditional pecan pie. So I wasn't looking for that molasses taste that you were. So I reduced the blackstrap molasses to 1/8 tsp (reduced the carb count too). Then I used 1 TBSP Caramel SF DaVinci syrup. I reduced the water to 4 TBSP because of the DaVinci. But I think I should have stayed with the 5 TBSP.

I cooked, and cooked, and.......... & it never did get anywhere clear. It finally (30 - 45 min or more) got to 160, and I gave up and added my pecans & poured in my pie shell & baked. It was really thick, and didn't fill the pan very full. Again, think I needed that other spoonfull of water. I'm at a high altitude (over 6000') so think this had something to do with it taking so long. Maybe I shouldn't have kept trying for the 160 degrees. I baked it at 275 for 10 min, then turned up the heat to 350 so I could finish browning the crust. It seems like it will be rather chewy, but I think it is gonna be GOOD.

Oh, I also only used a good full cup of pecans, which I chopped. I have always only used 1 cup (usually really full like this one) and have always chopped them. I prefer them chopped to the halves. (Just my personal preference.)

Not one I will do often because it is such trouble to make. I hate cooking anyway. And I had to stand over that stove for way too long. Also pretty spendy! But I think it will be a great pie for special occasions, such as Thanksgiving & Christmas.

I used Kevinpa's Carbalose pie crust, and prebaked for 10 min. I only used 1/3 cup Crisco, and 1 TBSP water (ice cold).

It is still cooling, so haven't had a chance to taste it yet.

Here are picc:
[/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 11-21-2006 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: to add pics
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:19 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="Red"]OK, I tried the pie.
I was debating whether to wait till Thrusday to eat it. Nope, couldn't wait. Besides I think my family all have other plans for Thanksgivng day anyway. We may get together over the weekend, still not sure. But I wan't gonna wait till then to try the pie.

Yes, it's a little chewy, but a lot of pecan pies are. The taste is sooooo Gooooddddd! Scott ya done good!

The crust is nice and flakey. It did stick to the pan pretty bad, & I had to dig it out. But that also often happens with reg crusts. It has a nice taste.

So I'd give this pie at least a 9. Maybe even a 10! [/COLOR]
Old 11-21-2006, 07:31 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

I made this pie Sunday (minus the sweet one) and love it! I made it so I wouldn't feel left out when everyone else had dessert Thursday, but I've been sneaking so many bites here and there that I'm going to have to do some major abstinence to have any left by Thursday evening!

I won't make this often--as Billie said, it's a heck of a lot of work, but definitely worth it for a special occasion!

I'd be interested in the blender version, as the constant stirring and whisking had my arthritic muscles screaming for the rest of the night.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:40 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helper
Thanks, Scott--

I made your revised recipe yesterday and it came out just fine. I used the pat-in-the-pan CQ crust that I had made last week and frozen. It proved to be a perfect holder for your great pie. Folks, if I can have success with this, anyone can.
Thanks again.
helper
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:02 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kelleygirl2
Stats: 212/146/159
WOE: Atkins/Stella Style
Start Date: Jan 2000
I made this pie also yesterday and it was great! Thanks, Scott.
I will definately make it again.

Kay
Kelleygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #44
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I'm glad this pie worked out well for everyone.

I've been thinking about this recipe a bit and the amount of labor involved. It's definitely time to come up with an easier, non double boiler version. Hopefully I'll have something for Christmas.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
I'm glad this pie worked out well for everyone.

I've been thinking about this recipe a bit and the amount of labor involved. It's definitely time to come up with an easier, non double boiler version. Hopefully I'll have something for Christmas.
Thanks, Scott, you are the man! And easy is good!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="Red"]Scott,
That would be great if you can. I spent close to an hour or more over the stove tryin to make that pie. Obviously the thermometer reading needs to be ajusted for my altitude, but I have no idea where it should read here. I way over cooked mine, before it went in the oven. And it never did look clear (as in transparent or translucent). But the flavor was right on!

Thanks for working on this recipe for us, and postin it![/COLOR]
Old 11-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helper
Scott--

There seems to be a problem as to what you mean by "clear". Is it clear as in transparent, with no brownish color OR clear as in translucent/free of bubbles-lumps, etc? I don't see how it could be transparent with the molasses in it. Please clarify. Thanks,
helper
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kaisergirl
Stats: 152~176 (preg)~ 133~192 (preg)~146~130 5'4
WOE: Atkins/low cal
Start Date: Jan. 2003
This was really really good.

Except, instead of a pie crust I made a nut crust (almond flour/carbquik, butter & sweetener and baked first)

When I poured the filling in and baked the nut crust dissentigrated up into the batter, so now the filling is grainy.

It still tastes great, but I just wondered why my crust didn't stay a "crust"?

I've never had it do that before???
kaisergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:56 AM   #49
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helper View Post
There seems to be a problem as to what you mean by "clear". Is it clear as in transparent, with no brownish color OR clear as in translucent/free of bubbles-lumps, etc? I don't see how it could be transparent with the molasses in it. Please clarify. Thanks,
helper
Translucent
Old 12-02-2006, 03:59 AM   #50
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisergirl View Post
This was really really good.

Except, instead of a pie crust I made a nut crust (almond flour/carbquik, butter & sweetener and baked first)

When I poured the filling in and baked the nut crust dissentigrated up into the batter, so now the filling is grainy.

It still tastes great, but I just wondered why my crust didn't stay a "crust"?

I've never had it do that before???
I'm not sure why it did that. Have you changed your sweeteners?

Butter contains a little water, but it's not much for binding together the gluten in the carbquik, so this makes a very fragile/incohesive crust. But as far as floating... you've got me.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:45 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
Translucent
[COLOR=red]Scott,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]As I said in an earlier post, mine never got close to translucent. Any ideas. I live at over 6000 feet. By the time it got to 160, it was way over done, before I put it in the oven. GOOD tho.[/COLOR]
Old 12-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Mine never got translucent either. I just let it get to 160 and then trusted it was ready.
lcmiller461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
saving
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I didn't even know about this one. I'd like to try it. PolyD doesn't bother me.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote